PFT's 2015 All-Unemployed Team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/10/pfts-2015-all-unemployed-team/

PFT’s 2015 All-Unemployed Team
Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 10, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptdmzdg4nzuzmgfhzwqxn2i4mdmxm2q2njbjntk3ogi1-e1428686298885.jpeg
AP

Below is PFT’s list of the best unsigned veteran players at each position. Each player’s age as of September 1, 2015 is in parentheses.

Rotoworld’s free agent rankings were a valuable resource in putting together the All-Unemployed Team, as was the NFL’s official list of free agents.

Only unrestricted free agents — players with expired contracts and street free agents — were considered in our rankings. Restricted free agents and unsigned franchise free agents were excluded.

Note that players unsigned at this stage of the offseason are as such for a variety of reasons, including age, durability/injury concerns and position value. The majority of free agents left, should they sign, would figure to be role players.

Our list will be updated as events warrant during the offseason.

OFFENSE

Quarterback: Michael Vick (35), Jason Campbell (33), Tarvaris Jackson (32), Matt Flynn (30).

All four passers listed could be decent-enough fill-in starters. Perhaps the market picks up if clubs can’t find capable backups in the draft.

Running back: Pierre Thomas (30), Steven Jackson (32), Chris Johnson (29), Ahmad Bradshaw (29).

Thomas catches the ball well. Jackson could handle 6-to-8 carries in a rotation. Bradshaw’s injury history is his drawback. He also has an offseason arrest to sort out, as does Johnson. Moreover, Johnson was wounded in the shoulder in March.

Fullback: John Kuhn (32).

Kuhn has played the last eight seasons for Green Bay, getting a carry or catch here and there.

Wide receiver: Michael Crabtree (27), Hakeem Nicks (27), Greg Jennings (31), Jerrel Jernigan (26).

Crabtree’s market has been quiet. He has a history of significant leg injuries (foot, Achilles). However, he’s still young enough to perhaps find his best form one more time. The same could be said for Nicks, the ex-Giant who caught 38 passes for 405 yards and seven TDs a season ago for Indianapolis. Jennings comes off a solid-but-quiet two seasons with Minnesota. There’s no reason he couldn’t be among a club’s top three receivers. Jernigan missed most of 2014 with a foot injury, but he flashed potential at the end of the previous season, and his age works in his favor.

Tight end: Jermaine Gresham (27), James Casey (30), Zach Miller (29), Matthew Mulligan (30).

Gresham had surgery on a herniated disc in March. When healthy, he’s a serviceable starter. Casey generated considerable buzz before the start of free agency, but there has been less news lately. Miller has had some ankle issues. The well-traveled Mulligan is a solid blocker.

Offensive tackle: Joe Barksdale (26), Anthony Collins (29), Byron Bell (26), Ryan Harris(30).

It’s a little surprising that Barksdale, the Rams’ right tackle the last two seasons, remains on the market. He’s a young-but-experienced starter in his prime. Collins can play left tackle, which helps his value, but he’s been a third tackle most of his career, and he disappointed in his lone season with Tampa Bay. Bell had his hands full as the Panthers’ left tackle. Youth makes him a little interesting. Harris, an undersized right tackle, has made 54 NFL starts.

Former No. 1 overall pick Jake Long also merited consideration, but he’s coming off an ACL tear, and he comes with considerable durability concerns.

Offensive guard: Justin Blalock (31), Rob Sims (31), Mike McGlynn (30), Davin Joseph(31).

Every guard on this list started double-digit games a season ago, so teams have some options.

Center: Stefen Wisniewski (26), Chris Myers (33), Samson Satele (30), Lyle Sendelin (31).

Wisniewski is the victim of bad timing; offseason shoulder surgery surely has not helped the young center’s market. Myers, Satele, Sendelin, Scott Wells and Brian De La Puenteall have ample experience, adding to the glut of serviceable unsigned players at the position.

DEFENSE

Defensive end: DaQuan Bowers (25), Corey Wootton (28), Red Bryant (31), Osi Umenyiora (33).

There is not much left in the edge-rushing department, with Umenyiora one of the few notable options. Bowers, Wootton and Bryant offer some positional flexibility; all could kick inside if needed. Bowers has a history of knee issues.

Defensive tackle: C.J. Mosley (32), Kevin Williams (35), Alex Carrington (28), Mike Patterson (32).

Teams in need of veteran depth inside still have a few choices, with Patterson and Mosley among the most appealing candidates.

Inside linebacker: Brandon Spikes (27), Darryl Sharpton (27), Dane Fletcher (28).

The Jets’ expected signing of Joe Mays further thins the depth at this position. Spikes, the rugged run-stuffer, is the best unsigned option.

Outside linebacker: Ashlee Palmer (29), Quentin Groves (31), Dwight Freeney (35)Jacquian Williams (27).

Palmer and Williams are fits in 4-3 schemes, while Groves and Freeney could appeal to 3-4 clubs looking to add to their depth along the edges.

Cornerback: Jarrett Bush (31), Tarell Brown (30), Cassius Vaughn (27), Zack Bowman(30).

Bush is a special teams standout. Brown has starting experience with San Francisco and Oakland; a foot injury ended his 2014 season. Vaughn and Bowman are capable of competing for reserve roles.

Safety: Thomas DeCoud (30), Danny McCray (27), Stevie Brown (28), Danieal Manning(33).

DeCoud and Brown are a couple of years removed from top form. McCray and Manning can provide depth and contribute on special teams.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker: Jay Feely (37).

The confident and experienced Feely could be a solid short-term fill-in. He lacks leg strength, particularly on kickoffs.

Punter: Mat McBriar (36).

McBriar’s net average has really fallen off the last four seasons. However, special teams coaches love experienced punters, and he knows what to do.

Returner: Javier Arenas (28).

Has averaged 21.1 yards on 73 kickoffs and 9.8 yards on 106 punts. He can also contribute at cornerback.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm really shocked we're not pursuing any of the OLs. Barksdale and Harris could both be solid starters for us at RT. Hell, Collins might even be serviceable there. Blalock and Sims are both serviceable (at minimum) at OG.(I'd argue both are solid) And Wisniewski is a solid starting Center. Myers is too but he doesn't fit our scheme.

Those are six players that would offer us solid veteran presences at our three positions of need on the OL.

I'm also surprised Zach Miller and C.J. Mosley are still out there.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm really shocked we're not pursuing any of the OLs. Barksdale and Harris could both be solid starters for us at RT. Hell, Collins might even be serviceable there. Blalock and Sims are both serviceable (at minimum) at OG.(I'd argue both are solid) And Wisniewski is a solid starting Center. Myers is too but he doesn't fit our scheme.

Those are six players that would offer us solid veteran presences at our three positions of need on the OL.

They may be talking to all of them for all we know. Just wait until they talk to JT about it, you'll see.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I'm surprised as well. I don't understand why we would add pieces to our already good defense, get a new experienced QB, and then squander that by fielding another crap OL. Especially missing some depth picks in the draft from Barron's trade.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The more I see what options are out there, the more I think they look to the draft to fill needs. I think they will eventually sign Barksdale. But they do need more on the offensive line. Barksdale is serviceable, but thats about it.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
somebody pick up Jackson you fuckers! they're all full of shit if every team thinks there 3rd down back or their "stable" of backs are all better than Jackson. his only problem was a shit team in Atlanta and a nagging hamstring injury which was his first somewhat serious injury in his entire career and thats saying something. he better get picked up after the draft. this once beast of a back better not fade into the mist and retire cus nobody wants him. thats a shit way to go out and he's still got something left in the tank. and no he's not looking for a feature back role like some have said in the past, he's not stupid or egotistical. for god sakes Blount was NE's primary back and look where it got them. Jackson is better than Blount. my pipe dream is cut Pead and have jackson get in on some 3rd down situations with Benny and just let him retire a Ram. who knows maybe he'll make it to his first playoff birth. jackson was more beast in his prime than Lynch ever was and Jackson was always on a shit team.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
somebody pick up Jackson you fuckers! they're all full of crap if every team thinks there 3rd down back or their "stable" of backs are all better than Jackson. his only problem was a crap team in Atlanta and a nagging hamstring injury which was his first somewhat serious injury in his entire career and thats saying something. he better get picked up after the draft. this once beast of a back better not fade into the mist and retire cus nobody wants him. thats a crap way to go out and he's still got something left in the tank. and no he's not looking for a feature back role like some have said in the past, he's not stupid or egotistical. for god sakes Blount was NE's primary back and look where it got them. Jackson is better than Blount. my pipe dream is cut Pead and have jackson get in on some 3rd down situations with Benny and just let him retire a Ram. who knows maybe he'll make it to his first playoff birth. jackson was more beast in his prime than Lynch ever was and Jackson was always on a crap team.

Didn't he have a torn groin in 2011 and a herniated disk in his back in 2009? I also recall a partially torn groin in 2007 and thigh injury in 2008.

Also, if the Patriots thought Jackson was a better runner than Blount...he'd have a job right now. Because they don't keep Blount around for his character or his pass catching skills or pass protection skills.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Jackson is a class act but his body is letting him down now. The Rams should have done him a favor and traded him to a contender six years ago, while he was still good to go and the Rams could have gotten something for him.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Sign'um all! I'm sure they would have made our team 3 years ago!

Are we still thinking we need to sign crappy free agents because we can't develop players?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sign'um all! I'm sure they would have made our team 3 years ago!

Are we still thinking we need to sign crappy free agents because we can't develop players?

No. We're thinking we need to sign solid starters on the OL because trotting out a bunch of rookies without developing them sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. It's really the polar opposite. We (or at least I) want to have a veteran capable of starting at OG and RT so we can take whatever time we need to develop the rookies we draft.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If we weren't as deep as we are at RB, I'd love a Jackson reunion.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
No. We're thinking we need to sign solid starters on the OL because trotting out a bunch of rookies without developing them sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. It's really the polar opposite. We (or at least I) want to have a veteran capable of starting at OG and RT so we can take whatever time we need to develop the rookies we draft.

Thanks for making that distinction. I'm just frustrated with our seeming inability to put together a functioning OL position group. And I'm hoping our current regime has answers.