PFF: Rams top free agent resigning should be Taylor Rapp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
PFF... lol. Can't make this stuff up.

LOS ANGELES RAMS: S TAYLOR RAPP

Rapp finally had the type of season the Rams were hoping for when they selected him in the second round out of Washington back in 2019, but the flashes were always there. Rapp earned career-high grades against the run (82.3) and in coverage (72.9) and missed just six tackle attempts en route to 70 tackles and 14 defensive stops in 2022.

The Rams may not want to spend more in the secondary, letting safety John Johnson III walk two years ago, in which case a cheaper deal for fellow safety Nick Scott perhaps is more appealing, but Rapp has developed into a reliable player on the backend.

If interior offensive lineman Coleman Shelton elects to opt out of the remaining year of his contract signed last offseason, a right he earned this season via playtime, he becomes the Rams’ top priority as a reliable pass protector in 2022 at center and guard on an interior that needs more consistency.

Tano

Legend
PFF grades really suck sometimes

I will say Rapp is much better close to the line of scrimmage and play a hybrid LB/Safety role

dang

Legend
Rapp is crap in coverage but a serviceable defensive player. I’d like to see the Rams keep Rapp if the price is right.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Weird how players always play their best ball right before their contract is up. With that said. I don't think rapp is the player the Rams envisioned him to be. Yeah he had an okay season but when you put players like Scott or Fuller next to rapp he looks less impressive. Not to mention both Scott and Fuller were both selected late in the draft compared to rapps 2nd round status. I dont see the Rams resigning him due to the fact they can get average play from guys who are mid to late round selections

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Rapp is lucky there were injuries so he could play otherwise this would be a moot point.

I wouldn’t resign him unless it was a very team friendly deal and if Morris is retained he’ll probably keep him in coverage often instead of playing towards Rapps strengths.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
:zany1:

Strong Safeties are one of the most plentiful positions in each & every draft. Talented SS bargains are always available late Saturday afternoon for the pickings. The total opposite of what occurs with talented OL'ers in the drafts.

I believe Snead made a very big mistake utilizing his highly valuable top 2019 draft selection on a strong safety.

Rams have SS types already under contract in Jordan Fuller, Russ Yeast & Quentin Lake. Plus Snead & McVay have the options of former college SS's who are ERFA's Jake Gervase & Travin Howard who can be cheaply & easily resigned if desired.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If McVay spends this offseason doubling down on guys like Rapp he's in for more losing. Ridiculous take by PFF and demonstrates what they know which is jack shit.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What
If McVay spends this offseason doubling down on guys like Rapp he's in for more losing. Ridiculous take by PFF and demonstrates what they know which is jack shit.
about Nick Scott ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There was a stat from PFF & I couldn’t think of what pff stood for on Purday

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
PFF grades really suck sometimes

I will say Rapp is much better close to the line of scrimmage and play a hybrid LB/Safety role

Undoubtedly. When he first appeared, he showed a lotta promise. I was positive about his play. He then made a couple of picks and it was assumed he could cover just as well. Nope .

He’s a legit NFL player who doesn’t fit the role he’s been playing under Morris. He will get a decent contract somewhere else and the Rams will get a decent comp pick. The only way he is re-signed is if Morris moves on and the incoming DC sees the same thing you, I, and most of this board have seen.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I guess I'm one of the only dudes here who actually likes Rapp. I like his energy and he never seems to quit or shy away from making plays. Every player on our D, including Scott and Ramsey have bad plays and sometimes take bad angles or have blown coverages. Is Rapp much worse than other starters around the league? I'm not so sure.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Undoubtedly. When he first appeared, he showed a lotta promise. I was positive about his play. He then made a couple of picks and it was assumed he could cover just as well. Nope .

He’s a legit NFL player who doesn’t fit the role he’s been playing under Morris. He will get a decent contract somewhere else and the Rams will get a decent comp pick. The only way he is re-signed is if Morris moves on and the incoming DC sees the same thing you, I, and most of this board have seen.

WTF ? Seeing & Morris leaving LOL. There was a DC maybe you or maybe the rest of the board has thought so Highly of came to The Rams named Staley & sat Taylor Rapp on the bench!!

Is burgees off The Rams ? WOW- some how I thought maybe The Rams had another wasted pick.
Glad to see Nick Scott getting his due with a post of his own.

I’ll take the Comp pick. Raheem Morris has started Taylor Rapp from day 1. It was Raheem Morris needing to fill the safety spot & called Eric Weedle to join The Rams fan a chance for a Superbowl run. If Taylor Rapp is not hurt NON of that would have happened.

The FACT Jalen Ramsey hit Taylor Rapp during the Baltimore game & kept all that MEDIA BS out of it was AMAZING in ITSELF!!

His quickly some want to point figures & forget. & this is not posted at anyone in particular.

I just think Staley was not a fan of Taylor Rapp & I think his height is a lit bit of an issue. Like some are saying playing close to the ball,but you still need to cover say TE’s & bigger WR inside.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Rams don't resign safeties so I think both Rapp and Scott are gone.