PFF: Laurinaitis was the best tackler at ILB in 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF

James Laurinaitis was the best tackler at inside linebacker in 2014, missing only one of every 27.2 tackle attempts.

CKJbUecUsAAsi88.jpg

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I wouldn't call the guy below average by any means. He's just not one to make splash plays. I think that frustrates a decent chunk of fans, especially when we see guys like Bowman and Wagner a couple times a year.

Laurinaitis is probably one of the smartest dudes in the game, an incredibly hard worker and about as dependable as they come. If that's the trade off for an extra pick and a few extra sacks over 16 games, I'll take it.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Laurinaitis is my pick for most UNDER-appreciated Ram of the last decade.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I heard Bill Polian speaking highly of Laurinaitis on NFL Radio recently. He raved about his smarts, his read-and-react, his anticipation. Things that fans don't see when watching the games on TV. He even said you have to be looking at game film and know what you're looking for to really appreciate Laurinaitis' value.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
The con part to that stat is he makes a lot of those tackles 5,6,7 yards from the L.O.S.While I do think he is a above average LB.I think in the eyes of many fans he lacks that killer instinct that great Mlb have.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The con part to that stat is he makes a lot of those tackles 5,6,7 yards from the L.O.S.While I do think he is a above average LB.I think in the eyes of many fans he lacks that killer instinct that great Mlb have.
The stat isn't about where he makes the tackle, but that he doesn't miss very many.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'll take the make we have now versus the miss we were getting before any day.

JL may not seem like the sexy choice at LB, but he's steady.

Plus, I think in year two of GW's D that he'll be even better.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
In GW's scheme, aggressive pressure can come from anywhere BUT must be backed up if the rusher doesn't "get home". There are times JL's responsibility is to blitz or shoot a gap but it's rare--a changeup really. Most of the time, his job is to limit damage which he does quite well according to this particular stat.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I agree with you pretty much but .... I also think last season was one of his best in his career. I did see him attack the LOS more than I ever have. Part of that might be due to the GW's effect .... part might be that across the whole DL we are occupying every OL. We have more than 1 guy who needs a double team. That helps keep the LB's clean.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have posted this several times in the past...not all that sure many will agree with me here....but I am just fine with JL as our starting MLB'er. I did think that his pay check was out of line with the talent level on the field but not that it bothered me enough to mention it any.

All I would have to do is look backwards in time to recall the aging sore knee Will Witherspoon who gave up his WSLB'er body in attempts to fill the middle. Others who had worked the middle in relief like David Vobora, Quinton Culberson & Chris Draft. Earlier there was Tim McGarigle, Jamal Brooks, Shane Conlan, Robert Thomas, Trev Faulk & then finally Jamie Duncan era.

I have always thought that JL always took upon himself to take the hard assignments & the mismatches that pop up many times a game. JL would assign himself the responsibility to have to give the extra mile in an attempt to get the best results while letting the other defensive players have the easier assignments. :bow:

I really have no real examples of this but it what I see watching each & every Ram game since he arrived, & sometimes I watch them several times. I just think he is wise beyond his yrs & in a true rare find where team first always is the right decision he will run with & put JL's limelight way down on the lists of priorities.

I believe we are very fortunate to have him here as our Ram MLB'er at this time. I truly expect that we will see big dividends this season.....That's just me..........:bueller:

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I agree with you pretty much but .... I also think last season was one of his best in his career. I did see him attack the LOS more than I ever have. Part of that might be due to the GW's effect .... part might be that across the whole DL we are occupying every OL. We have more than 1 guy who needs a double team. That helps keep the LB's clean.
Agreed he did look better this year making a few plays behind the line los.Hopefully he makes those kinds of plays even more this year.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Yeah I know my point is its hard to miss tackles when you sit there and wait for them instead if attacking the Los.
I agree that JL has always been a read/react player, an intelligent player more about being the QB of the defense and helping his teammates succeed than having to be the one to make the highlight thumping tackle. But I thought it interesting to compare JL's "stuffs" to the player ESPN wore out their kneepads over: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/stuffs-and-stuff-yards/2014/

A 'stuff' is defined as the defense denying a running play at (or before) the line of scrimmage. Often, this play occurs on short yardage situations when both teams have jumbo packages in the game and are geared up to attack the middle of the line.

Stuffs by year:
JAMES LAURINAITIS
2009-3
2010-7
2011-9
2012-4
2013-5
2014-2
6 yrs, 30 stuffs = 5 stuffs/yr

PATRICK WILLIS
2007-7
2008-4
2009-5
2010-0
2011-3
2012-3
2013-2
7 yrs, 24 stuffs = 3.4 stuffs/yr

lockdnram21

Legend
Hes still overrated. Also if he doesnt take a pay cut after this year dont think he will be here. Him or Chris Long