Paxton Lynch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Didn't want to hijack the Wentz thread but here's some highlights of Lynch for those who have not seen him play. I know, highlights aren't everything. But you can see why he's gonna rank out as an elite QB prospect. Dude is Kaepernick with good passing ability (size, speed, big arm, touch) IMO and is going to be a very good NFL QB:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I really like Lynch but he and Wentz will have a tough transition from a college offense to a pro offense. That could work in the Rams favor if they really like either player because there is usually pressure to play a top ten QB in year one. Maybe the learning curve will drop one or both to the 15th pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really like Lynch but he and Wentz will have a tough transition from a college offense to a pro offense. That could work in the Rams favor if they really like either player because there is usually pressure to play a top ten QB in year one. Maybe the learning curve will drop one or both to the 15th pick.

Nowadays there are no QBs really who DON'T have a hard transition to the NFL. So I agree they will need adjustment time, that it's a given. But there is just no way I can see either Lynch or Wentz making it to 15. Seriously, I am convinced there will be 3 QBs taken before 15: Lynch, Goff, and Wentz. The need is too great with these teams (Cleveland, SF, and Dallas alone make it very likely), and might even drive Cook to be taken before 15 since everyone's gonna know the Rams will take him if he's the last of those 4 on the board when their pick comes up.

Things could change of course. I actually hope that Goff slides, even though I know it won't happen unless his arm strength isn't there at his workout. But IMO the Rams are going to need to move up in this draft to take their QB unless they convince themselves they want one of those second tier types.

This is gonna be a hairy draft for us man.

Athos

Legend

They both come from pro style offenses. Wentz is under center a lot. Better than most QBs coming out.

Mariota had no problem coming from the most gimmicky of college Os.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If we came away with either Goff, Lynch or Wentz I'd be happy. Prefer Goff but would not have any problem if we get either of the other two.

ItsonTavon

Rookie
Name
Erick
Nick Foles 6'6 Sean Mannion 6' 6

Paxton Lynch 6'7 Fisher likes big QB's. Lynch might be the pick. Not out of reach.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They both come from pro style offenses. Wentz is under center a lot. Better than most QBs coming out.

Neither guy is coming from a pro style offense.

And I think both will need some time to adjust. Lynch still misses a lot in regards to open WRs and Wentz's timing is very inconsistent.

Athos

Legend
Then what the hell kinda O does Wentz operate as I've never seen spread QBs go under center tha much?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Who are both from pro style offenses? Lynch isn't.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then what the hell kinda O does Wentz operate as I've never seen spread QBs go under center tha much?

Just a spread offense. Bradford ran a spread and was under center quite a bit at Oklahoma. If it helps, we can refer to it as a pro style spread. Because that's more or less what it is. Has a blend of both. But not a true pro style offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hearing some talk about how Lynch's performance against Auburn in the bowl game was hurting his stock. So here's a look at his game vs Ole Miss, where he did a good job of working against a very good defense. He does show his arm a little in this one, but clearly the gameplan was to work the underneath and try to sustain drives which they accomplished.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Hearing some talk about how Lynch's performance against Auburn in the bowl game was hurting his stock. So here's a look at his game vs Ole Miss, where he did a good job of working against a very good defense. He does show his arm a little in this one, but clearly the gameplan was to work the underneath and try to sustain drives which they accomplished.

I want to like him but Im just not that impressed. He didn't look all that accurate even on the short throws and got lucky several times with almost being intercepted. He didn't look very fast running the ball either. I think he is behind Goff and Wentz.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.news-journalonline.com/a...-parallels-between-Paxton-Lynch-Blake-Bortles

LAKE MARY — He's only worked with Paxton Lynch since Monday, but Charlie Taaffe can already draw some parallels with another well-known quarterback from Central Florida.

Taaffe, who now works year-round for quarterback training program QB Country, sees many similar traits between the Trinity Christian product and Jacksonville Jaguars star Blake Bortles. Taaffe spent six seasons as UCF's offensive coordinator, and Bortles blossomed into a first-round pick in three years of starting for the Knights.

Lynch could very well crack the first round after passing for 3,776 passing yards with 28 touchdowns and just four interceptions in his redshirt junior season.

"They're big guys, but they're both extremely athletic and mobile," Taaffe said Friday during a training session at D1 Sports Training in Lake Mary. "They can run and keep drives alive by extending plays. That's kind of the new breed of quarterback everybody's looking for in the NFL."

The similarities extend beyond merely the physical measurables. Lynch — at 6-foot-7 — stands two inches above Bortles, who set Jacksonville's single-season franchise record with 35 touchdown passes in 2015.

Both quarterbacks share similar stories in their paths to stardom.

Neither was heavily recruited out of high school. Recruiting website Rivals ranked Bortles the No. 44 pro-style quarterback in the class of 2010 despite breaking Seminole County records in passing yards (5,576) and touchdowns (53) at Oviedo High School. Lynch, who battled a knee injury his senior year, did not hold a college offer until the week before National Signing Day.

Lynch's recruitment picked up some momentum after earning Most Valuable Player honors of the 2011 Central Florida All-Star Game, throwing for 237 yards and scoring three total touchdowns. Two years earlier, Bortles was named the game's MVP.

In fact, Taaffe said he offered Lynch a scholarship over the phone around 7:30 a.m. on National Signing Day after the Knights lost out on a previous quarterback commit.

"I said, 'Look, it wasn't that we weren't interested in you, but we had one quarterback committed for a while from this class,' " Taaffe said. "He said he had just visited Memphis, they offered and he committed to them and was going to stay with his commitment. You've got to respect that.

"Some of the UCF people think we just didn't recruit him, which is not true. The scholarship didn't become available until the 11th hour."

Lynch said he was sold on Memphis when his phone rang, but the thought of playing in Orlando crossed his mind.

"The only thing that was a concern for me was being away from home," Lynch said. "I had never been away from home before. ... But talking to my parents, they knew the decision I had made and the commitment I had made to Memphis prior to that phone call. I needed to honor that.

"I believed in Coach (Justin) Fuente with what he was going to do to turn that program around. In the end, I made the right decision."

Lynch became the first redshirt freshman quarterback to start a season opener for Memphis in nearly three decades in 2013. He and Bortles faced off head-to-head that October, a 24-17 victory for UCF in which Lynch tossed two interceptions.

But both quarterbacks largely rolled through the American Athletic Conference and brought home MVP trophies in bowl games. Lynch dominated last year's Miami Beach Bowl with seven total touchdowns. Bortles led UCF to its biggest win in school history, 52-42 over Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl, with 394 yards of offense and four scores.

Even trivial, coincidental parallels exist. For example, Lynch and Bortles each have a brother playing Division I college baseball.

Evin Lynch, a 6-foot-8 right-handed pitcher, started three games for Stetson in 2015. Colby Bortles slugged nine home runs for Ole Miss in his first two seasons, helping the Rebels reach the College World Series in 2014.

That's not to say there aren't differences, especially in terms of development during college.

Bortles played in more of a pro-style offense at UCF, while Lynch thrived in the spread system at Memphis. One of Lynch's primary tasks during the opening week of training is creating muscle memory for 3- and 5-step drops from under center, Taaffe said.

Additionally, Bortles was responsible for making checks at the line of scrimmage and managing the huddle.

"All the spread guys, in the gun, they start their snap count and then they stop to look over to the sidelines. That's the coach really checking the play for them," Taaffe said. "In the spread system, the coaches pretty much do it all. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Good, bad or indifferent, that's not what he's going to be required to do on Sundays."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"The only thing that was a concern for me was being away from home," Lynch said. "I had never been away from home before. ... But talking to my parents, they knew the decision I had made and the commitment I had made to Memphis prior to that phone call. I needed to honor that.

I'm diggin the kid's moral compass.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Holy crap, I just realized that Paxton Lynch played high school ball for my high school's rival. That's crazy. I would have played him if I were a few years younger. :eek:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Lynch is the perfect fit for the Rams 'ghost' offense. (I call it ghost because it is not so well defined.)

I like the dedication to commitment and that he worked hard and improved on a weekly basis. He has the leadership thing down. The o only carp I've read is some guys saying his decision making was down against better teams. I would expect it to some degree. Auburn and Mississippi's defenses were bigger and faster than he and his entire team was used to. He still played well at Ole Miss. 39/53 3tds 1 int 385 yards.

I don't get people ripping him for his decisions in that game. I guess they think he should have been 50/53 and 6 tds

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler

I honestly wasn't very impressed with that game vs Ole Miss. Most of his passes were just short throws/screens. Not exactly throwing it downfield into a bucket. Not saying he isn't a good QB, but I'm not as impressed as everyone else by his highlights.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it might be wise to warm up to this kid. Because it may be the only realistic chance we have at a 1st round qb