Patriots release CB Alfonzo Dennard/Claimed by Cardinals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Yet another troubled player who's bad decisions messed up a promising career. He's only 25.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/.../2015/05/alfonzo_dennard_released_by_patriots

Alfonzo Dennard released by Patriots
By Jeff Howe

122414patsjw09.jpg

Alfonzo Dennard was released this morning, according to a source. The 2012 seventh-round draft pick started 20 of 29 games during three seasons with the Patriots.

The Patriots save $1.542 million against the salary cap by cutting Dennard. They've also been linked to more undrafted free agents than they've got room to hold on the 90-man roster, so the Pats have to make cuts to create space before those signings become official.

Dennard showed flashes of potential with a physical style, but he peaked as a rookie and struggled with consistency the rest of the way.

Dennard had his issues, too. He was found guilty in February 2013 of assaulting a police officer before the draft in April 2012, and he also violated the terms of his probation in July 2013 for being arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence. In total, Dennard served 38 days of a 60-day jail sentence, was placed on three years of probation and given 200 hours of community service.

Members of the Patriots have routinely questioned his work ethic and commitment to the game, too. That led to a host of issues that kept him out of 19 regular-season games in that stretch. Last season alone, Dennard was a healthy scratch seven times, missed two games with a shoulder injury and was eventually placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury. He missed three games with knee and shoulder injuries in 2013 and six games with hamstring and knee injuries in 2012. Dennard also missed chunks of time during each offseason to recover from hamstring and shoulder injuries.

The remaining cornerbacks on the Patriots' roster include Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Malcolm Butler,Bradley Fletcher, Robert McClain, Chimdi Chekwa, Darryl Roberts, Justin Green and Dax Swanson.

NFL Network first reported the news of Dennard's release.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That doesn't look like last year's CB roster... at all.

They're really going to miss Revis.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Perfect addition for the Cowboys. Lol

With standup citizens like Greg Hardy, Josh Brent, and Randy Gregory helping him learn the Cowgirl way on defense, what could possibly go wrong? Just make sure to stay away from mean ole Davon Coleman, as Greg Hardy learned the hard way.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Ryan and Arrington are both underrated corners, although I wouldn't put either one of them in the "can shut down an opposing top passer threat most games" category.
And with a history of terrible pass-rush, I'm interested to see how (badly?) the Pats' D does in 2015.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Ryan and Arrington are both underrated corners, although I wouldn't put either one of them in the "can shut down an opposing top passer threat most games" category.
And with a history of terrible pass-rush, I'm interested to see how (badly?) the Pats' D does in 2015.

I don't know if Ryan and Arrington are underrated, there both pretty average and really only effective in zone and for Arrington in the slot. The Pats D is going to look like 2013. Bend don't break and hope the other team turns over the ball. They are counting on Chandler Jones and Easley (1st round pick last year) to create some kind of pass rush. Also bringing in Sheard should help.

Their D will have the worst 3rd down pass stats and anyone who follows Profootball Focus knows you cant win playoff games if you cant stop passing 3rd down conversions.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I don't know if Ryan and Arrington are underrated, there both pretty average and really only effective in zone and for Arrington in the slot. The Pats D is going to look like 2013. Bend don't break and hope the other team turns over the ball. They are counting on Chandler Jones and Easley (1st round pick last year) to create some kind of pass rush. Also bringing in Sheard should help.

Their D will have the worst 3rd down pass stats and anyone who follows Profootball Focus knows you cant win playoff games if you cant stop passing 3rd down conversions.
I certainly hope so. F the Patsies. Doubly so from you and me, the Boston-living Rams fans.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on him. We need depth at corner and he has solid experience. If he wins a spot, we have a solid vet, if not, it probably means that another guy stepped up big. Win-win.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on him. We need depth at corner and he has solid experience. If he wins a spot, we have a solid vet, if not, it probably means that another guy stepped up big. Win-win.
What makes you think we need depth at corner? JJ, Tru, Gaines, and Joyner will all see the field often plus Roberson showed signs of developing, we have McGee for emergencies, and even Mcleod can play very well in the nickel.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
What makes you think we need depth at corner? JJ, Tru, Gaines, and Joyner will all see the field often plus Roberson showed signs of developing, we have McGee for emergencies, and even Mcleod can play very well in the nickel.

Yeah, I forgot about Roberson. I like him too. Disregard what I said.