Our QB's throwing styles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
So I got a series of shots of each QB throwing an out route. Just happen to be in the right place and they were throwing to my side.

Interesting to see similarities and slight differences. Slow motion video would be better but this is what I have to work with.

First is Goff, then Mannion, Allen and last is Perez. Interesting to see with Perez (if you click on the photo to get a larger view) his eyes follow the ball when he releases it. All the others keep their eyes on the target.

If any of you have experience with throwing the football (player or coach) please share what you see that is noteworthy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RdQYnnhzBroM2bSA6

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
They are getting good coaching. They are all turning their arm up and over the ball.

A football can be really odd for people to throw. But once you get that form correct they aren't too hard to throw.

Turning your hand over the ball on the release seems to be the most common mistake I see with people/friends(wife).

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks @A.J. Hicks . What about that observation of Perez following the ball with his eyes? What's your take on that?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
ase9mb8kizb4xt2pjejo.gif

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Great set of photo's for comparisons. :help:

You won't get that from official rams website. :sadwalk:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It’s interesting that Goff seems to always start from a more open position - facing his target - whereas the others seem to start with their off shoulder facing the target. Part of why Goff has such a quick release?

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
It’s interesting that Goff seems to always start from a more open position - facing his target - whereas the others seem to start with their off shoulder facing the target. Part of why Goff has such a quick release?
Good observation. I knew there was something different about Goff. Just didn't notice it.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Thanks @A.J. Hicks . What about that observation of Perez following the ball with his eyes? What's your take on that?

Good observation. I had to scroll back through the photos. In all honesty I don't really know. I'd say you want to have your eyes on the target and follow through towards that location.

I would say I notice that the ball on that particular throw has a downward trajectory. Into the dirt?

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Good observation. I had to scroll back through the photos. In all honesty I don't really know. I'd say you want to have your eyes on the target and follow through towards that location.

I would say I notice that the ball on that particular throw has a downward trajectory. Into the dirt?

BOLD> That is what I think would be a good technique.

As far as asking if that throw was in the dirt? I don't know. My eyes were looking through the camera. There were additional pics of his follow through but they were pretty much the same pose.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I was impressed by Romo’s observation that Goff could finish his entire throwing motion “even if he were in a phone booth.” Real compact, tight delivery, no wasted motion. Doesn’t need a big windup, doesn’t need to take a big step forward, just BOOM and release.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

could be his arm is stronger as well so he doesn't need such a big wind up?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Perez looks like he's throwing to a point in the air in a general direction rather than focusing on a specific target area, and that affects accuracy.

I'm not a qb guru, but that's a general concept that applies to all sports - baseball, basketball, shooting games, etc.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Goff just looks more balanced. His rotation looks like it's on a swivel, just more solid. It reminds me of what i used to teach pitchers in little league baseball. "Keep everything about your wind up tight, within the width of the plate, and you will throw the ball over the plate." That's also why, when I had a pitcher struggling with control, I'd make them pitch from the stretch, even when there was no one on base.

Also, take a look at their faces. Goff looks to be a bit more relaxed while the others seem to be tense or having to gear up for the throw.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd say Perez is closest to Goff in technique from those frames.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Perez looks like he's throwing to a point in the air in a general direction rather than focusing on a specific target area, and that affects accuracy.

I'm not a qb guru, but that's a general concept that applies to all sports - baseball, basketball, shooting games, etc.
It almost looks like Perez felt something in his release that wasn't quite right and had quickly realized he wished he had that throw back, kinda like when you instantly realize upon release of a basketball shot that it is off the mark.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
What about that observation of Perez following the ball with his eyes? What's your take on that?

My take would be that he is trying too hard to aim the ball... rather than trusting his accuracy. You need to keep your eyes on the target (spot you're throwing to). He shouldn't be eyeballing his ball... that just sounds like he's trying too hard to aim it.

It's hard to tell from the pics though. It looks like the angle is a little bit different on his pics compared to the others... it might just be an illusion.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
So I got a series of shots of each QB throwing an out route. Just happen to be in the right place and they were throwing to my side.

Interesting to see similarities and slight differences. Slow motion video would be better but this is what I have to work with.

First is Goff, then Mannion, Allen and last is Perez. Interesting to see with Perez (if you click on the photo to get a larger view) his eyes follow the ball when he releases it. All the others keep their eyes on the target.

If any of you have experience with throwing the football (player or coach) please share what you see that is noteworthy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RdQYnnhzBroM2bSA6

These are great shots - you were in the perfect position. To me, the untrained eye, Goff isn't busting a gut to throw the ball, it looks fluid and loose, it looks natural, whereas Mannion is really punching it through.

1: Goff: To me, the untrained eye, Goff isn't busting a gut to throw the ball, it looks fluid and loose, it looks natural.
2. Mannion: Looks to be busting a gut to get that ball out.
3. Allen: Looks short!
4. Perez: i love the way he's watching the other guys when they throw, he's not taking his eyes off them at all!

Thanks @VeteranRamFan

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
It almost looks like Perez felt something in his release that wasn't quite right and had quickly realized he wished he had that throw back, kinda like when you instantly realize upon release of a basketball shot that it is off the mark.
That may have been the case. I can't remember why I didn't have any more shots of Perez for comparison. I know he threw more than just one ball.

WAIT! I had to clear my memory card on the camera! I erased the first series of shots!!! Lucky for me my camera has a back up card! Let me go look at that!!

EDIT: Here is what I found on the back up card. Much better sequence of Perez looking at his target.
D7K_8281.JPG
D7K_8282.JPG
D7K_8283.JPG
D7K_8284.JPG

Last edited: