One of the Rams' top offseason priorities: Addressing the left tackle position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
One of the Rams' top offseason priorities: Addressing the left tackle position

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. –What to do at left tackle?

It is one of the most important questions – perhaps the most important – facing the Rams this offseason, with starter Andrew Whitworth scheduled to become a free agent this offseason.

"Whit has obviously said he wants to come back and play," Snead said during a lengthy conversation with beat writers at the team's facility Tuesday morning. "We've got to sit down and discuss, 'Is that the best thing for the Rams? Is it not?' That will come."

Spending the last three seasons anchoring the left side of the Rams' offensive line, Whitworth has missed only one regular season game during that span. This past season, he posted a 94 percent Pass Block Win Rate, a metric created by ESPN which measures the rate at which linemen can sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer. It ranked second among all offensive tackles evaluated this season.

The former LSU standout wants to continue playing in 2020 and said this week he would "love" to remain in Los Angeles. At the same time, he will do his due diligence when it comes to listening to offers from other teams.

"I look forward to continue playing and play at a high level. Hopefully the opportunity will be here," Whitworth said. "Obviously, anytime you're a free agent, you gotta listen to everything and figure out what's best for you. Of course, for me and my family, being a Ram would be number one on the list without question."

Beyond reaching an agreement on Whitworth's value, another challenge in answering the posed question is the health of one his possible replacements.

Snead said 2018 third-round pick Joe Noteboom, who started the season at left guard, was slated to be Whitworth's replacement, but those plans were complicated when Noteboom suffered season-ending ACL and MCL injuries in Week 6. The setback required surgery and landed Noteboom on injured reserve.

"Unfortunately that muddies that water in our ability to continue evaluating him at guard, and then the ability to go, 'Ok, is he ready to take on that role in year three coming off an ACL?" Snead said.

Another variable in the equation is rookie Bobby Evans.

Although the 2019 third-round pick made seven starts at right tackle this season, he also projects as a guard or left tackle, according to Snead.

"The ideal left tackle is probably easier to describe than actually identify and acquire," Snead said. "That's a harder piece of the puzzle."

When asked to define the ideal left tackle – or a left tackle in their prime – Snead described a scenario in which a team has drafted that player, and that player has gained experience and learned from "hiccups" along the way in order to become more consistent and trustworthy. They are young enough that they can hold their own against some of the league's most skilled pass-rushers, but also have gained enough knowledge to lean on from losing some of those one-on-one battles.

The ideal left tackle, then, could already be on the Rams' roster in the form of Noteboom or Evans. However, given his and Evans' small sample size for evaluation, even with with some of their preseason cross-training along the offensive line, Los Angeles could need Whitworth again to allow for another year of grooming to meet the criteria outlined by Snead.

This much is clear: What do at left tackle is not only one of the most important questions of the Rams' offseason, but a complicated one as well.

"It will be interesting to talk through that position," Snead said.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Even though Whitworths play has dropped off, he is still an above average LT. I don't trust any of the other O linemen the Rams have to be better than Whit over the course of the next season. Add to that what he brings with his vet knowledge and experience helping to tutor the younger players.

If he still wants to play, I don't see how the Rams can do better. It all depends on how much Whit will be asking for and other teams willingness to pay.

dang

Legend
give him 3 year contract with option to convert to a coaching position after 1 year. Overpay him as a coach in order to reduce his player contract. no limits on coaching salary that i am aware of.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Even though Whitworths play has dropped off, he is still an above average LT. I don't trust any of the other O linemen the Rams have to be better than Whit over the course of the next season. Add to that what he brings with his vet knowledge and experience helping to tutor the younger players.

If he still wants to play, I don't see how the Rams can do better. It all depends on how much Whit will be asking for and other teams willingness to pay.

He's in decline & has been for the past couple years, REPLACE HIM now!!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah 62, it would be nice to upgrade Whitworth. But LT and OL help is at a premium throughout the NFL. Greg Robinson still in the league and making millions proves it. Teams are willing to pay big bucks for below average O linemen. Teams have to have good scouting departments. Few colleges turn out O linemen ready to play in the NFL, and that's where the Rams are going to have to find OL help. Whitworth is going to get offered more than the Rams can afford I'm afraid.

I saw some good OL play from Wisconsin, Ohio State and Iowa. I'll be looking hard at centers and T's in the next few weeks. Rams are without a 1st rounder, not sure when they make their 1st pick, somewhere around #50 I think. They better use it on the OL, that's where they need the most help.

Snead and Demoff will be wheeling and dealing this off season I hope. Rams need to beef up the OL

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
give him 3 year contract with option to convert to a coaching position after 1 year. Overpay him as a coach in order to reduce his player contract. no limits on coaching salary that i am aware of.
Coaches salaries are different and separate from players. I, pretty sure he would still count against the cap unless the additional years are non guaranteed options.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
give him 3 year contract with option to convert to a coaching position after 1 year. Overpay him as a coach in order to reduce his player contract. no limits on coaching salary that i am aware of
Questions

How many OT's since 2017 have deen developed with good pass blocking abilities? I am having issues naming any.

Why would you not consider hiring a OT coach who is fully aware what Goff needs from his OT's?

If it were my decision I would make a serious offer to sign AW for one more season to be the starter for most of the first half of the season until Noteboom is fully healthy with strong plans on a follow up good offer for AW to join the OL coaching staff as the OT coach.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Will we be able to afford to keep Whitworth and sign a F/A to G or C? If Whit will work with us money wise then I say keep him for another year. If not then let him walk and put Edwards in at LT we have an idea of what he's capable of. Im not sure if Noteboom will ever be the starting LT but I do know that I'd like Edward's and Evan's to be a part of the line going forward.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Questions

How many OT's since 2017 have deen developed with good pass blocking abilities? I am having issues naming any.

Why would you not consider hiring a OT coach who is fully aware what Goff needs from his OT's?

If it were my decision I would make a serious offer to sign AW for one more season to be the starter for most of the first half of the season until Noteboom is fully healthy with strong plans on a follow up good offer for AW to join the OL coaching staff as the OT coach.

While I favor retaining Whitworth for a final season at LT, drafting an OT high this next off-season and offering Whitworth a post playing career assistant coaching position, I question whether the decline in salary will test his interest. I also question whose job he takes ?

Considering the state of our OL, it seems almost a no-brainer that the Rams would offer Whitworth another season as we attempt to transition thru the mess, it also appears to me that Whit wants to be here, that his family is happy living in So.Cal., and he'd rather not disrupt this aspect of his life now as a family man with young children and his nearing retirement. Maybe he can squeeze an extra couple million out of some team elsewhere, but when you're about to turn 39 in the NFL and already a multi-millionaire, i'd imagine things other than money may start to take precedence.
Whit won't be offering his services for free, although he understands the business side and can see the precarious situation the Rams are in with regard to personnel and CAP, so I would expect a fair salary settlement on both sides benefitting both party's. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give Whit a one year deal to return. It makes the most sense for us. Noteboom likely won't be ready to start the year, and he was considered the LT of the future.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not averse to Whit coming back on a one year deal in fact that's the most likely thing the Rams will do. They don't have a lot of choice in the matter tbh, question is what his price tag is going to be.

But whatever they do there needs to be competition opened up in camp and it needs to run through preseason games. No more of that resting the OL bull$hit. Do that and I think there's a good chance one of those young OTs we drafted last year will win the position and if not then Whit's got it for the season.

Re: Noteboom... Considering him the LT of the future now, after watching him get trucked at LG, would be the kind of thing bad teams do. I like him in a competition and if he can win it fine. But it isn't likely to be next season because he'll probably be too far behind.

Rameosian

UDFA
Name
Greg
Sign Whit for reasonable price. Then we have insurance if draft or f/a doesn’t pan out this year for LT. If we do find one, put Whit at LG. HOF LT (Larry Allen) did that his last 3 years at DAL, did fine. Personally, I’d love to see more ‘beef’ up front anyways...

It’d be nice to see Noteboom play more before we anoint him LT. We tried that last year with Noteboom and Allen and that went horrible until their injuries. But Noteboom would be valuable as a backup.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I would rather pay an aging LT like Penn ($2-3M) to be an average LT for a year or two and not weaken a G spot by moving Edwards.

Well we are working with unknowns at this point. Who's to say Edward's isn't better at playing LT over G? I think guard is an easier hole to fill than LT

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
just bring back big Whit, problem at LT solved
train

Yeah this is one of the things I disagree with many posters on here. I don't want to keep Whit next year. His play is already declining and it's not going to get any better. I think we let him walk, pick up a younger average LT w/ some upside and draft someone for the future. LT isn't going to be fixed next season most likely unless one of our young guys exceeds expectations.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I prefer another year of Whitworth protecting Goff’s blindside.

With rare exception, lose the QB, season over. I trust Whitworth.

Will he sign something team friendly? For it to work... I think he has to.