OldSchool's post SB mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is kind of a combination of what I think will happen and what I would do. I've made it clear in other threads I'm not a fan of Sherff for the money he'll command with his recent injury history. Some of the other G free agents are appealing but there are a lot of OLine needy teams with a whole lot more money than we have.

Waive/options not picked up:

Malcolm Brown We had high hopes for him as our #2 but he just can't seem to be healthy enough to occupy that role.
Eric Weddle Enough has been said.
Clay Matthews Another cost cutting move. We have a lot of youth at the position and I plan on adding a draft pick there.

Resign:

Greg Zeurlein I've stated before I think his inconsistency will make him relatively cheap for a 2-3 year deal and we'll have enough turn over in other areas I don't think we do that here as well.

The usual suspects are brought back as well Morgan Fox (who could see more PT in rotation at DE with Brockers walking), Donte Deayon and Marqui Christian. Carraway, Mundt, Shelton and Webster are ERFA brought back as well.

Free agents:

Patrick Onwuasor ILB I've seen his name thrown around a few times and he makes sense. We have an obvious need at ILB since I'm letting CL walk and I've seen it suggested Patrick's market will be in the $5 million per area. I think that's light but I'm gonna go with that number for now.

Danny Shelton NT He's been talked about as a free agent that makes too much sense to not mock him here. Like Onwuasor he should see something in the $5 million area which makes him a value as well. I see him coming in and rotating with Greg Gaines while Sebastian Joseph-Day moves to Brockers spot and rotates with Morgan Fox

Trades:

Dante Fowler It's something that's been talked about for days and days now but it makes too much sense to tag and trade him. I see Miami a lot but I'll add another target for this mock and say the Houston Texans. They have an obvious need for a pass rusher and a ton of cap space. Without a 1st round pick and picking late in the 2nd they make the move feeling Fowler has more upside than what they can get at this pick. The only reluctance I have with this team is they are limited in picks but they're a playoff team with an obvious need and trading pick 2-#26(58) and a 2021 day 3 pick. The obvious choice of Miami still stands and another dark horse could be Atlanta. They've just announced today they won't pursue a contract with Vic Beasley. Carolina is rebuilding, Tampa is a ways off and while the Saints are the favorites of that division they have some serious cap issues and a glaring opening at QB. Our relationship with them is well known and we could talk them into making the move with an eye to competing while the division is down and Matt Ryan isn't getting any younger. They've invested big in the offense and could try to add a proven pass rusher.

Picks:

Round 2 pick 20:

Julian Okwara EDGE Notre Dame

He comes in and starts immediately in Fowlers spot.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gGL7h8nkPA

Round 2 pick 26:

Ezra Cleveland LT Boise St

He comes in and competes with David Edwards and I think as a rookie wins the LT position. I'm aware people are going to have an issue, this might be the biggest issue people have with the draft. I don't think the Rams can wait to see how Noteboom is recovering and in this mock I'm not bringing Whitworth back.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K18wK7MFMx4

Round 3 pick 20:

Lloyd Cushenberry C LSU:

Another rookie starting on the OLine? Yeah and no problem with it. Cushenberry had a very good season that he punctuated with a good week at the Senior Bowl. Allen will be allowed to compete in camp but ultimately I think loses out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBykSvGojR0

Round 4 pick 20:

Quientez Cephus WR Wisconsin:

This is a pick a year early. He comes in as our #5 WR as we could see Cooks gone next year as well as Reynolds with Woods following them out the door in 2021. He gets a year to learn the offense and contribute on special teams.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFsCfiJT30w

Round 4 pick 34:

Larrell Murchison DE/DT NC State

We all know we need more bodies up front and here we add a guy who will come in to add that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbuBC8oBUHw

Round 6 pick 20:

Tremayne Anchrum OL Clemson

I say OL because he has started at both RT and RG, limited center snaps. He was a good RT but it's thought he'll have to move inside possibly even Center in the NFL. At worst he could be an emergency RT. Played on some good OLines and has some very good college tape.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9LgrMJnY-8

Round 7 pick 20:

Tavien Feaster RB South Carolina

I let Brown go and here we take a 3rd string back to come in behind Gurley and Henderson.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAN1yiAK-OA

Free agency I added a NT and a starting ILB upgrading our run defense then added depth in the 4th with Murchison. Bring in Okwara who I think starts day 1. The other OLB position is a competition with Ebukam, Okowronkwo, Patrick Holland, Polite and Carraway. The other inside spot is again competition on the roster already with Kiser, Patrick, Howard, Reeder, Young and Hager.

I know I know I'm rolling the dice with the LT spot. I think we'll be good with Cleveland as a rookie.

I like the playmaker addition of Cephus and Feaster is nice depth on the OLine.

Depth Chart

Depth Chart:

QB: Goff, Wolford (vet?)
RB: Gurley, Henderson, Feaster, Kelly
WR: Woods, Kupp, Cooks, Reynolds, Webster, Cephus
TE: Higbee, Everett, Mundt, Blanton
LT: Cleveland, Edwards, Brewer (Noteboom)
LG: Corbett, Edwards Ancrum, Brewer
C: Cushenerry, Allen, Shelton
RG: Edwards, Corbett, Brewer, Demby, Kolone
RT: Havenstein, Evans

DE: Donald, Murchison
NT: Shelton, Gaines, Smart
DE: Joseph-Day, Fox Murchison
EDGE: Okwara, Polite, Obo
ILB: Onwuasar, Howard, Reeder
ILB: Kiser, Young, Hager, Patrick
OLB: Ebukam, Holland
CB: Ramsey, Hill, Long, Deayon, Williams, NRC
S: Johnson, Kupp, Christian, Scott, Gervase

Ok it's out there. I had a thought of a different free agent to add and I may still have cash to add him with a restructure(small one) of Goff I'll look at that later. Hit me with it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I actually like most of your picks. Ezra Cleveland is one I targeted for my recent mock, although I think he goes much later, as his technique is basically nonexistent. Murchison, Okwara, and Cushenberry are all solid, although they're not my first choices.

I have a huge problem with drafting Cephus, though, as I've mentioned with Jerry's mock that had him. He had two sexual assault charges against him. (I'll grant you, he got off, but given all of the recent timing with metoo...well, yeah.) I'm just not comfortable selecting someone like that.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I like the draft. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the college players. Are these o linemen in a zone blocking system? I ask because the transition from college to pros is one thing, but to go from a man scheme to a zone and gap blocking is another.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I actually like most of your picks. Ezra Cleveland is one I targeted for my recent mock, although I think he goes much later, as his technique is basically nonexistent. Murchison, Okwara, and Cushenberry are all solid, although they're not my first choices.

I have a huge problem with drafting Cephus, though, as I've mentioned with Jerry's mock that had him. He had two sexual assault charges against him. (I'll grant you, he got off, but given all of the recent timing with metoo...well, yeah.) I'm just not comfortable selecting someone like that.

As always thank you for your response! Love your input on the players.

I think with the quality and depth of the OLine class we could see a lot go in the first three rounds. I browsed a lot of mocks before this one and I've seen Cleveland as high as 37 and as low as 137 (our comp). You could easily swap him with Cushenberry for our 2nd pick in the 3rd here. Cushenberry is another one I've seen him high 2nd to high 4th rounders.

I get the issue with Cephus but it comes down to conviction. He was accused but found not guilty. I really get the issue but it's a case of he said she said and a jury of his peers found him innocent. I wouldn't blame a team for not taking him and because he wasn't found guild I'm not going to condemn a team for taking him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As always thank you for your response! Love your input on the players.

I think with the quality and depth of the OLine class we could see a lot go in the first three rounds. I browsed a lot of mocks before this one and I've seen Cleveland as high as 37 and as low as 137 (our comp). You could easily swap him with Cushenberry for our 2nd pick in the 3rd here. Cushenberry is another one I've seen him high 2nd to high 4th rounders.

I get the issue with Cephus but it comes down to conviction. He was accused but found not guilty. I really get the issue but it's a case of he said she said and a jury of his peers found him innocent. I wouldn't blame a team for not taking him and because he wasn't found guild I'm not going to condemn a team for taking him.

No problem!

And yeah, I can see Cleveland going second. But he's not ready by a long shot. Cushenberry is interesting. Wouldn't mind if we drafted him, although if we're going by second round, Biadasz is my choice.

Will agree to disagree on Cephus.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Nice Draft! My only thought is that Okwara may have to be a situational pass rusher to start. He does not take on blocks well and will be a liability in the Run defense.

nighttrain

Legend

in today's climate i vote to to ignore these charges, does not take much of an effort to be accused of sexual misconduct, jury said NG should be looked on as innocent of all charges.
train

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the draft. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the college players. Are these o linemen in a zone blocking system? I ask because the transition from college to pros is one thing, but to go from a man scheme to a zone and gap blocking is another.
I don't think any of them would have issues with our system. Of course the mock will severely change with the update that Whitworth is likely to come back which helps us a lot and allows us to add another playmaker or even a better Guard prospect with the pick I took Cleveland with.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the Whitworth news I’ll change the Cleveland puck to either Netane Muti G Fresno St or Damien Lewis G LSU. That player competes for LG next to Whit to further solidify the line. I’ll do another mock as soon as we see Whit sign.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
i'm a huge boise st fan so love the Cleveland pick. that guy is what they call country strong. pluss such a nice mixs of picks you seem to have helped almost every position that needs help an I really like the attention to the ol. you made a few picks go a long way

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i'm a huge boise st fan so love the Cleveland pick. that guy is what they call country strong. pluss such a nice mixs of picks you seem to have helped almost every position that needs help an I really like the attention to the ol. you made a few picks go a long way
Being a Nevada fan I’ve seen him against us more than once!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, you know what my complaint will be, but it seems Big Whit is coming back, so it's moot. (It is that our projected OL in the mock scares the fuck out of me.) Cushenberry is an interesting one. This Center class is hard to project, but I've seen a number of people who have Cushenberry as the #1 or #2 C in the class and projected in the top 50 picks. I like him because he has OG/C versatility. I expect he'd play as an OG as a rookie. Don't think he has the ability to make line calls to McVay's satisfaction at this point in time.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, you know what my complaint will be, but it seems Big Whit is coming back, so it's moot. (It is that our projected OL in the mock scares the fuck out of me.) Cushenberry is an interesting one. This Center class is hard to project, but I've seen a number of people who have Cushenberry as the #1 or #2 C in the class and projected in the top 50 picks. I like him because he has OG/C versatility. I expect he'd play as an OG as a rookie. Don't think he has the ability to make line calls to McVay's satisfaction at this point in time.
Yeah I wanted Ruiz but I just feel he's gone before our pick. Hennessey is another one I really like I think it could be either. I do think the Ezra pick I'd switch to a Guard to sit next to big Whit.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Yeah I wanted Ruiz but I just feel he's gone before our pick. Hennessey is another one I really like I think it could be either. I do think the Ezra pick I'd switch to a Guard to sit next to big Whit.

he would be good at og or even insurance behind havenstien. i'm just not sure the stein is going to get back to where he was.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
he would be good at og or even insurance behind havenstien. i'm just not sure the stein is going to get back to where he was.
And if he doesn’t we have Evans that looked good there and we can draft a depth swing tackle the following year. RT to me isn’t a big need. We either have it good with Hav or have a young guy that showed some promise.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

My thoughts are that if we think Biadasz, Ruiz and Hennessy are viable to upgrade the Center position, I would think none of them will go in the First round and not all 3 before we pick late in the Second. Meaning, I think it's highly unlikely all 3 are gone by pick #20 in the Second round.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I never have a prob with mocks that roll the dice a bit because if you're a GM in this league you're gonna have to roll the dice somewhere. It's inevitable. And LT in particular is a cornerstone position where you don't want to roll the dice but teams do just that because there aren't enough of those dancing bear types to go around. So I'm ok with the Rams parting ways with Whit as long as they take a project type to compete and get in that LT pipeline.

Your picks are on point. Addressing Edge, dev LT (don't see any OT starting blindside as a rook for us), and C right at the top would be excellent and quality is great.

All that aside at this point and just looking at the Centers I feel like Ruiz & Cushenberry are the "early" guys, for us the "take them at 52 if they're there" types. The others when I consider taking them at 52 I see the quality at other positions that will be there and just can't do it.

Biadasz & Hennessy for me are the "drop down and take them" types. I'd say round 3 even for that matter but if the Rams love them (which is likely given both being smart technician types) I suspect a drop down then taking them is the way to go.