OldSchool's mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haven't done any of these yet and talked about what I see the Rams doing. First and foremost is trade down in the 1st. There are several possible trade partners with Cleveland and the Giants explored in other mocks so for this one I'm going to go with a different partner in the Bengals.

Rams trade 1:31 to the Bengals for 2:42 and a 2020 2nd round pick. We might have to give up a later round pick to make this happen but for now I'm going to move forward with this. Rams will have more free agents next year and a couple extensions likely that could result in some 2020 cap cuts.

We will also trade down with our 4th round pick 4:133 with Cleveland for 5:170 and 6:189.

Making our picks
2(10)
3(30)
3(35)
5(18)
5(31)
6(17)
6(30)
7(38)
Also a 2nd next year.

2(10) Jachai Polite EDGE Florida
USATSI_10352911.jpg

He's becoming a pretty standard pick. Fowler is on a 1 year deal, Matthews isn't his former self and while we hope Samson takes the next step and Obo develops you can never have too many pass rushers. Our roster situation right now gives us the opportunity to make him a pro and coach him up. He'll have the chance to learn from some excellent leaders and should start next year when we don't bring back Fowler. He's gonna have to find a new number though.

3(30) Julian Love CB Notre Dame

8287109.jpg

This might be a little generous of a draft spot he could be gone in case of that there are a couple others I'd look at like Isaiah Johnson. I'm a big believer we need to add a CB or two, likely a couple UDFA brought in.

3(35) Nate Davis G Charlotte

1552095157_0ap3000001021628_video_player_cp.jpg

Another mainstay in Rams mocks. We visited with him multiple times and he was stellar in the Senior Bowl. It makes too much sense and it checks many boxes for a Rams draft pick.

5(18) Sheldrick Redwyne S Miami

usa_today_9557055.0.jpg

Another guy we've met with a couple times and fills a need. Many will want to go with Safety earlier but we have a couple guys in depth that Wade has used heavily so we aren't in a huge need spot here for 2019 but this is a pick for 2020, like I think most of our picks will be.

5(31) Mark Fields CB Clemson

Didn't start a lot at Clemson but played regularly in the slot. I'm double dipping at CB here but again this is a guy for 2020. NRC is a free agent after the 2020 season so we have a couple years to develop a replacement. In the meantime he's a ST guy to learn behind our veteran CB room.

6(17) Bryce Love RB Standford

8812310.jpg

IMO good value to add behind Gurley and company. Coming back from an ACL after a very productive college career. With that again he won't be needed but if he's healthy and picks up pass protection he could contribute as a rookie.

6(30) QB Easton Stick NDSU

Easton-Stick-NFL-Draft-(AP-Photo-Charlie-Neibergall)-1550808288.jpeg

At this point just stealing a guy we've seen mocked in here several times and it makes sense to add in a young guy behind Goff and Bortles and to compete with the camp body we recently added.

7(38) Albert Huggins DT Clemson

AlbertHuggins_2017_0.jpg

Sorry Jrry I'm double dipping from Clemson :D Huggins is a strong defender that needs work. He'll take some work but could be a later round gem, a perfect 7th rounder.

Some UDFA I'd look at are:

Isaiah Holder CB Standford
O'Shea Dugas G La Tech
Malik Reed Edge Nevada
I could see us add in a few ILB and OLine in UDFA.

Have at it, tear me up. I didn't add a higher pick for a DT waited till our last pick. I only took 1 OLine but I'm confident we add a few UDFA. And the biggest complaint I'm sure I'll get is trading down and not benefiting from it this year instead adding a 2020 pick.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some good values there. I'm not sure about the future pick - I suspect the Rams would prefer a 3rd or a 4th plus this season to fill holes, and figure they may actually have their complete draft next year plus a couple of comp 4ths to put them in a good position to get replacements next year. Love is a gamble, but in the 6th who isn't? I agree that CB is a big need - he can play nickel and back up the two starters, so plenty of playing time. I figure resigning Peters is a long shot - I expect him to go for max dollars. Frankly, I wouldn't mind him being traded - maybe with a pick - to move up and get a CB they can have for 4-5 years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be happy with the Draft, but I do think grabbing Fields is unnecessary at this point. As you said, NRC is signed through 2020. Love can play both inside and outside. I also think Peters leaving is less certain than some believe. We'll see how he does in 2019.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd be happy with the Draft, but I do think grabbing Fields is unnecessary at this point. As you said, NRC is signed through 2020. Love can play both inside and outside. I also think Peters leaving is less certain than some believe. We'll see how he does in 2019.
Yeah the double CB is to me this year for one in Love and Fields next year filling needs but I get what you're saying. I'm torn on Peters, he's inconsistent most of the time and when he was the #1 he didn't step up.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah the double CB is to me this year for one in Love and Fields next year filling needs but I get what you're saying. I'm torn on Peters, he's inconsistent most of the time and when he was the #1 he didn't step up.

I don't put too much weight on his midseason performance - he had the bad ankle, and once he got the bye week for extended rest he was good the rest of the season. My problems with him are that while he does some things fantastic, he doesn't do the rest of what the Rams need out of their cornerbacks all that well. Because of that, I see some team offering him a metric shit-ton of money focusing on his plus points, which will be more than the Rams could afford or that makes sense for the Rams (or really, any team). In short, while overall he's good but not great, I expect him to be paid like he's great. Finding a sucker, er team, to trade for him in exchange for a pick that can get one of the good cornerbacks in this draft would allow the Rams to have a cost controlled cornerback for 4-5 years and would even give the Rams more cap space for filling holes this coming season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't put too much weight on his midseason performance - he had the bad ankle, and once he got the bye week for extended rest he was good the rest of the season. My problems with him are that while he does some things fantastic, he doesn't do the rest of what the Rams need out of their cornerbacks all that well. Because of that, I see some team offering him a metric crap-ton of money focusing on his plus points, which will be more than the Rams could afford or that makes sense for the Rams (or really, any team). In short, while overall he's good but not great, I expect him to be paid like he's great. Finding a sucker, er team, to trade for him in exchange for a pick that can get one of the good cornerbacks in this draft would allow the Rams to have a cost controlled cornerback for 4-5 years and would even give the Rams more cap space for filling holes this coming season.
I get that and understand, hell I was vocal in supporting him during the season. But it's hard to get it out of mind doing these things sometimes.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'd be good with that.

That said, I think Malik Reed gets drafted and I think Easton Stick goes much earlier than the 6th. I see him being a 3-4 rounder. Teams looking to snap up those QBs on day three are going to get antsy at the end of round 3 as trading up to that first pick in the 4th isn't super expensive.

Any time a team has a chance to reset their draft board, there's a chance someone near the top sees someone who fell that they will rethink.

which is why with this current draft setup, we see reaches at the end of rounds 1 and 3.

But yeah, I'd be okay with that draft.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sorry I have to post with Julian Love and Bryce Love, what's not to love about this mock?

Ram65

Legend
Nice flowing draft. Not a fan of waiting on a 2020 2nd rounder. Went down a good bit for Polite which would have me wanting to move up as much as possible in round 2 or 3 this year to get another quality player. You can never have enough CBs. Some team going to take B Love earlier.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I would be happy with those 5 first picks alone although I still hope we can get Simmons.