OldSchool Mock #2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Some changes but some I'm copy and pasting from my 1st go round.

First thing I'm doing is sending Marc Barron in a trade to Cleveland to reunite him with GW who got the most out of him in his 4-3. This saves us $9 million in cap space and nets us pick 4.1 (103).

Next for this mock I'm doing what many want to do and trading Quinn. Some have suggested a 2nd for him I'm always cautious on trades as they rarely work out the way we expect and I'm getting a 3rd from the Jets. The reasons they would take him have already been discussed so not rehashing that. They have pick 72 which is 3(8).

Next I'm trading our 4th round pick #120 to Denver for Aqib Talib. I know there are people who will hate this because of some of his antics. While he did some of that and is getting older he straight up balled out for Wade in the past and I'm hoping he will help nail down our CB position with my free agent signings and draft. It's an $11 million hit this year and $8 million next year on our cap.

Our free agents

Our own free agents are going to be fun. I don't think we offer TruJo enough to keep him and he walks for about $13 million a year (He and Butler both sign for about that imo).

Watkins will be an interesting case and I'm not sure any of us have a good idea what actually happens. Some speculation he gets franchised, I'm in the hope not group. And Spotrac has his market value estimation at $5.9 million, which I'm getting him to sign as fast as humanly possible. Personally I'm offering him a 5 year $40 million deal with All Pro, playoff and Super Bowl bonuses. Reports are he loves LA, the offense was good for him and with an off season to work in it and with Jared he's going to hit those incentives. With no guaranteed money in the last 2 years he knows the chances are good if he performs he can renegotiate and extend for more money.

Joyner I'm resigning for 5 years $45 million. He stays with Wades defense and we get him about a million below the franchise tag showing him respect he's earned as our FS.

NRC was great as our slot corner and most importantly was healthy. I'm signing him to a 3 year $10 million deal. A nice pay raise and a short enough deal for him to get a big payday if he earns it before he turns 30.

Pro Bowler Jake McQuaide gets a 4 year $4 million dollar deal to keep the Pro Bowlers together.

John Sullivan was solid at center and gets a 2 year $2.5 million deal.

So we're now down to roughly $33.5 million left in space.

Free agents

One guy that several of us have had our eye on for a while because he just makes too much sense is Todd Davis. He played well for Wade in Denver and comes to LA to reunite with him at 4 years $22 million.

Another signing that I've seen in multiple spots including Jrry is Bashaud Breeland. Good man corner comes back to play with Coach Pleasant at 5 years $35 million.

Next I'm bringing back one of our own. We're signing a veteran Guard for some depth in John Greco. Give him a 2 year $1.5 million contract with some gameday active bonuses and we improve the depth in our IOL.

Those signings take us down to about $19.5 million. Now I'm doing what we all know needs to be done and signing our DPOY to an extension. Giving him a 6 year $150 million contract extension with a $70 million signing bonus (prorated over 7 years that makes us take a $10 million hit this year on the cap) with the first 2 years guaranteed giving him $100 million guaranteed. People have been clamoring for this to be done for a long time and we get it done here.

Tendering Longacre, Hill, I Johnson, Brown and Ficken (insurance on GZ's recovery),

That leaves us after free agency and accounting for the draft with roughly $5 million. We need that money for injury replacements on the cap so we're done with free agency and onto the draft.

Draft

1:23
Isaiah Wynn G Georgia - Many here aren't going to like this pick at all. But Wynn steps in and replaces Jamon Brown at RG and improves our OLine from day one. We move Brown to the backup at both Guard positions.

3:72 Lorenzo Carter OLB Georgia - Double dipping with Georgia to start off the draft. Carter is one of my favorite prospects in this draft and steps in day one to replace Quinn with Longacre backing him up. He's a major upgrade over Quinn in the run game and in coverage. He needs work on his pass rush game but Wade and Joe Berry work their magic on him.

3:87 Tim Settle NT Va Tech - Sticking with him. I'm really torn here because I want Payne badly but I just have this sinking feeling he goes to the Chargers a few picks before us. Harrison Phillips is another very real possibility if he's here but he also might be gone at this point. IMO job #1 this off season is to upgrade the run defense and along with Davis at ILB this goes a long way to accomplishing that job.

4:103 Jamarco Jones OT Ohio St - Project for Kromer to be a long term successor to Whitworth. Needs work in the pass protection but has a year or two of coaching ahead of him.

5: 165 Darrell Williams RB LSU - Another carry over from the 1st mock. A guy who was buried behind Fournette and Guice the last couple of years but still as a backup managed 820 yards and a 5.7 YPC while also catching 23 balls. He really did well at the Senior Bowl and I think will continue a tradition of backup RB's at LSU that go on to have some success in the NFL this time backing up Gurley.

6: 197 Jared Jones-Smith OT Pitt - Big beast of a man 6'6" 320 lbs and has been through some life experiences off the field. Has some injury flags but if cleared could end up pushing Havenstein at RT even this year and take over for him next year.

6: 200 Jamarcus King CB, South Carolina - Repeating this pack from the 1st go round. He's a guy who struggled last year but came on very nicely this year. He has good size and adequate short area speed.

6: 207 B.J. Hill NT NC State - Double dipping at NT. Hill to me is more of a project/backup/rotational guy behind Settle and Westbrook. But he's another space eating NT to help along the line and develop for Coach Johnson.

In case you couldn't tell this draft had a very distinct purpose. I drafted 3 guys along the OLine, 2 NT and an OLB. Drafting the 2 NT and signing Davis along with Carter replacing Quinn goes a long long way to upgrade our run defense. I signed 2 veteran CB to go with Webster NRC and Hill then added another young CB in the draft I like a lot to help our CB situation. When Talib's contract runs out I feel we could be starting Breeland, King and NRC with Hill as our 4th CB at that point Breeland would be our oldest CB at 29 which would be Wades 4th year in the scheme.

I upgraded RG, retained Sullivan and gave Havenstein, who IMO was the weak link in the line some competition as well as drafted a guy for Kromer to work with as our potential LT of the future.

I'm honestly not certain how I feel about this. I wanted to go into mock 2 with the focus on fortifying the OLine and improving the run defense. Like I said not sure how I feel about this draft but I don't usually like the Rams drafts but they work out for us.

Thoughts? I might end up really not liking this and redoing one this weekend but who knows. This is certainly adding players to the OLine I wonder how @BonifayRam will like that :)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Always love to see a different take on things with these mocks.

I might hold off on trading that 4'th as Talib may be released due to the Bronco's poor CAP. Still, Talib & Breeland will make for a very nice set of backfield defenders. I'd also consider trading Brown in this scenario as he has value and will be absolutely lost to us in 2019 free agency if demoted in this way. Not sure i'm as optimistic about Watkins signing at that price, but that would be great. I've seen the $150.mil figure thrown around a few times for Donald, but that seems excessive even for him. Suh busted the bank for Miami at $114mil. and a relatively small signing bonus, i'm guessing between $120mil & $130mil but with your signing bonus makes the grade. jmo.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Always love to see a different take on things with these mocks.

I might hold off on trading that 4'th as Talib may be released due to the Bronco's poor CAP. Still, Talib & Breeland will make for a very nice set of backfield defenders. I'd also consider trading Brown in this scenario as he has value and will be absolutely lost to us in 2019 free agency if demoted in this way. Not sure i'm as optimistic about Watkins signing at that price, but that would be great. I've seen the $150.mil figure thrown around a few times for Donald, but that seems excessive even for him. Suh busted the bank for Miami at $114mil. and a relatively small signing bonus, i'm guessing between $120mil & $130mil but with your signing bonus makes the grade. jmo.
I considered trading brown since I signed Greco again in this one. Talib being cut is a possibility true but I jumped the gun and traded for him instead of letting him hit free agency either way we could get him.

For Donald's contract I used Suh actually as a template. We see around a 5-10% jump per year on deals along with the jump in salary cap. He signed his 3 years ago so we're talking 15-30%. My $150 is a 20% increase three years later. Just a ball park and ensuring we get him :)

As always thanks for the input. Actually if we trade Brown whatcha think we can get? Last year of his rookie deal so maybe a 6th?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I considered trading brown since I signed Greco again in this one. Talib being cut is a possibility true but I jumped the gun and traded for him instead of letting him hit free agency either way we could get him.

For Donald's contract I used Suh actually as a template. We see around a 5-10% jump per year on deals along with the jump in salary cap. He signed his 3 years ago so we're talking 15-30%. My $150 is a 20% increase three years later. Just a ball park and ensuring we get him :)

As always thanks for the input. Actually if we trade Brown whatcha think we can get? Last year of his rookie deal so maybe a 6th?

Brown was an early 3'rd round pick, I believe he'd be worth the same today as a young starting vet.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
1:23 Isaiah Wynn G Georgia - Many here aren't going to like this pick at all. But Wynn steps in and replaces Jamon Brown at RG and improves our OLine from day one. We move Brown to the backup at both Guard positions.

I love the pick. It's an instant upgrade.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My gut just tells me we won't go "Offense" in the 1st round, IF we stay-put! Especially a OG! JMHO!!

I think we'll go NT-CB or LB in the 1st! But I do see us working on our OL and DL with our first two picks! Again JMHO!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My gut just tells me we won't go "Offense" in the 1st round, IF we stay-put! Especially a OG! JMHO!!

I think we'll go NT-CB or LB in the 1st! But I do see us working on our OL and DL with our first two picks! Again JMHO!
And if we sign a CB, NT and ILB in addition to resigning TruJo thereby shoring up those needs do we still go D when we can greatly improve the unit protecting Hared and TG? This is the first time I’ve had us going O in the first, was just spitballing.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And if we sign a CB, NT and ILB in addition to resigning TruJo thereby shoring up those needs do we still go D when we can greatly improve the unit protecting Hared and TG? This is the first time I’ve had us going O in the first, was just spitballing.
I do think that all our picks will be affected by what the Rams do, or don't do in the FA Market prior to the Draft. So IF the get a NT - LB and/or a CB in the FA Market they can do just about anything in the 1st Round!(y);):D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's interesting mock, OldSchool. You definitely went a different direction than I'd have gone. I like some of the moves, but here are my critiques:
1. Don't trade a 4th for Talib. At most, trade a 6th if you're worried somebody else pulls the trigger first. But the Broncos need cap room. I highly doubt that anyone trades for him. I expect that he's cut.
2. I don't think we're going to be able to trade Barron. Cleveland already is set at LB.
3. I think Watkins turns down that deal. I think he would get better offers on the market. If he does accept something at that price per year, I think it would be a short-term deal.
4. I expect Breeland gets paid more. It's arguable if he's earned more, but he's a long, athletic CB who has shown flashes of greatness. I think he gets something more in the range of $9 million per year, maybe even $10 million per year.
5. I don't get the Wynn draft pick at all. Wynn is trending way up, but why are we replacing Jamon Brown? Brown got better and better as the season went, was an overall quality starting OG, and is on a rookie contract. Why fix it if it ain't broke? Our OL played at a high level, and Brown was a big part of that. I view Brown as a long-term starter for us.
6. I think Settle is long gone in the third round. He's a 330+ pounder with great movement skills. I think he's off the board in the second, but we'll see what he does at the Combine.

Overall, I think we see the OL very differently. You appear to see Havenstein and Brown as two guys who should be replaced. I see them as two guys who will start for us for quite awhile. Both guys were quality starters this year, and I expect them to remain that next year. I hope we can retain Kromer for a good while.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's interesting mock, OldSchool. You definitely went a different direction than I'd have gone. I like some of the moves, but here are my critiques:
1. Don't trade a 4th for Talib. At most, trade a 6th if you're worried somebody else pulls the trigger first. But the Broncos need cap room. I highly doubt that anyone trades for him. I expect that he's cut.
2. I don't think we're going to be able to trade Barron. Cleveland already is set at LB.
3. I think Watkins turns down that deal. I think he would get better offers on the market. If he does accept something at that price per year, I think it would be a short-term deal.
4. I expect Breeland gets paid more. It's arguable if he's earned more, but he's a long, athletic CB who has shown flashes of greatness. I think he gets something more in the range of $9 million per year, maybe even $10 million per year.
5. I don't get the Wynn draft pick at all. Wynn is trending way up, but why are we replacing Jamon Brown? Brown got better and better as the season went, was an overall quality starting OG, and is on a rookie contract. Why fix it if it ain't broke? Our OL played at a high level, and Brown was a big part of that. I view Brown as a long-term starter for us.
6. I think Settle is long gone in the third round. He's a 330+ pounder with great movement skills. I think he's off the board in the second, but we'll see what he does at the Combine.

Overall, I think we see the OL very differently. You appear to see Havenstein and Brown as two guys who should be replaced. I see them as two guys who will start for us for quite awhile. Both guys were quality starters this year, and I expect them to remain that next year. I hope we can retain Kromer for a good while.
1) I didn't address it in this mock but have talked about it in other discussions. I agree we will likely be able to get him in free agency and don't need to trade for him. For this mock I traded for him. As for the round I've said in both my mocks so far trades are difficult to gauge. I usually play it safe and have us give up too much and receive too little. It doesn't stop these comments but it changes them. No matter what the trade return or the picks sent somebody will comment that it's wrong. We don't know so we guess and I err on the side of caution.
2,3 and 4) As with 1 we'll see it's too early to tell and it's all guess work by fans at this point.
5) I don't dislike Brown or Havenstein but I stated the purpose of this mock was to upgrade the line and/or add depth hence I took 3 linemen. Brown and Havenstein both had their ups and downs and I like both players. But going into the final year of their contracts lets not pretend upgrading or drafting their replacements isn't a realistic possibility.
6) We'll see, it's very early in the process and again it's all guess work. As we get closer to the draft we might have more of an idea. I've seen him in the third in almost every mock I've looked at that browsed and most lists show him in the 60-100 range of prospect lists. For now I'm comfortable with him in the 3rd, tomorrow? Again we'll see.

I think you mistook what I was doing for this draft as me disliking Brown and Hav. If we go into next year with them starting and we extend them both I'm going to be perfectly happy. If we draft successors, immediate or long term, I wouldn't be shocked or upset either. This draft was simply an exercise in upgrading the line and it's depth while still trying to do what I think are the top 2 needs 1) run defense and 2) securing our secondary. This mock is a complete 180 from my first mock. The next mock I might not take any OLine we'll see.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1) I didn't address it in this mock but have talked about it in other discussions. I agree we will likely be able to get him in free agency and don't need to trade for him. For this mock I traded for him. As for the round I've said in both my mocks so far trades are difficult to gauge. I usually play it safe and have us give up too much and receive too little. It doesn't stop these comments but it changes them. No matter what the trade return or the picks sent somebody will comment that it's wrong. We don't know so we guess and I err on the side of caution.
2,3 and 4) As with 1 we'll see it's too early to tell and it's all guess work by fans at this point.
5) I don't dislike Brown or Havenstein but I stated the purpose of this mock was to upgrade the line and/or add depth hence I took 3 linemen. Brown and Havenstein both had their ups and downs and I like both players. But going into the final year of their contracts lets not pretend upgrading or drafting their replacements isn't a realistic possibility.
6) We'll see, it's very early in the process and again it's all guess work. As we get closer to the draft we might have more of an idea. I've seen him in the third in almost every mock I've looked at that browsed and most lists show him in the 60-100 range of prospect lists. For now I'm comfortable with him in the 3rd, tomorrow? Again we'll see.

I think you mistook what I was doing for this draft as me disliking Brown and Hav. If we go into next year with them starting and we extend them both I'm going to be perfectly happy. If we draft successors, immediate or long term, I wouldn't be shocked or upset either. This draft was simply an exercise in upgrading the line and it's depth while still trying to do what I think are the top 2 needs 1) run defense and 2) securing our secondary. This mock is a complete 180 from my first mock. The next mock I might not take any OLine we'll see.

I expect us to try to extend both. I don't think either will be prohibitively expensive.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expect us to try to extend both. I don't think either will be prohibitively expensive.
Very possible, this off season has a lot of people we want to extend, a look at our free agents next year.

upload_2018-2-11_6-18-18.png

There are a handful of guys I want back and a few that I'd like back. The next two off seasons are going to be crucial for Snead. Follow that above class up with 2020 with Brockers, Gurley, Whitworth, Zeurlein and Pharoh Cooper. Decisions will have to be made and drafts will be split between need and planning ahead.

As always I appreciate the input.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

What jrry32 said.

Plus, I would add that if they give AD $25 million per I think that I will shoot myself. Lol.

Not one penny over $20 million per.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What jrry32 said.

Plus, I would add that if they give AD $25 million per I think that I will shoot myself. Lol.

I hope Donald's Contract is for 6 Years!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What jrry32 said.

Good luck with under $20 million. Suh signed 3 years ago for $19 million aav. No chance Donald isn’t over 20. The salary cap has increased about $30 million in that time, roughly 17%. Same increase to Suh’s co tract would put AD over $22 million aav. As I stressed in every mock I do I try to be conservative in mo eye and trades, I try to overstate money to prevent the criticisms for thinking we get great picks and cheap free agents.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry but I disagree, even though I stated this was just to look at building the oline and not what I thinwill happen. If you look at the top paid guards in the league and you’ll see guys from 26-28 in age, aka guys. In their second contracts and almost all making more than the number you cited. If you draft the right guy and he comes in like those 5 did you’ll absolutely pick up his 5th year option on the way to extending him. A pro bowl guard, because we think everybody we draft will be there, for 1year at $9.34 million , more in 5 years, is well worth it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you pick a player at 23 all that matters is he’s a good player. Taking one position over another because you may have to pay them more or less than another position in the 5th year of their career is probably the worst draft draft strategy ever. All but 9 picks eligible for the option had it picked up this year and I doubt those teams regret picking somebody worth the option.