Olafyoye: highlights from several articles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

stuff on Olafyoye (synopsis)

all from different articles...I just strung some highlights together.

* (pronounced oh-la-fy-oh-yay )

* Other teams interested in Olafioye included the Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Giants, New York Jets, Detroit Lions, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Washington Redskins, New Orleans Saints, Cincinnati Bengals, San Francisco 49ers and Carolina Panthers.

* He transferred to North Carolina Central as a junior in 2007 and was asked to make the switch from defense to play and started at left guard for the Eagles’ number one-rated offense. After an outstanding junior season, Jovan was selected to the 2008 Preseason All-Independent First Team.

* he left NFL teams with dry mouth after his final collegiate season at North Carolina Central. Olafioye was a conversion project, going from the defensive line to the offensive line in his junior year, and he was still trying to get the hang of his new role by the time he graduated.

* The Detroit Lions invited Jovan to training camp as a free agent the summer of 2009. “They [Detroit Lions] said that I had all the speed, physical attributes, the athleticism, the motor to play with them,” Olafioye says, “but they were looking for somebody to play right now. I was more of a project, because I’d only been playing O-line for two years.

* "You could see the talent," said Dorazio. "The size, the bulk, the fast-twitch strength. But he had no background. Zero. He looked out of place for a while, but he looked good doing it." Olafioye now credits Dorazio for his rise, calling him, "the best coach I ever had." Then again, he might be the only coach he's ever had.

* The team’s left tackle, Ben Archibald, said of his NFL potential, “I’ve never seen anyone with his strength and aggressive demeanor at such a young age (24). He has the physicality to do whatever he wants, and that’s what they look for, when you’re playing against the bigger bodies in the NFL. That’s what you need and that’s what he has.”

* nfldraftupdate
- In an even more pass-first CFL, the fact that new Rams OL Jovan Olafioye did not allow a sack in '11 is noteworthy. NC Central alum.

* Even in the midst of Jovan Olafioye’s first season with the B.C. Lions in 2010, offensive line coach Dan Dorazio was amazed at his progress and didn’t expect him to stay in the CFL for long....Olafioye was a raw talent when he reported to the Lions after being cut from the rookie camp of the Detroit Lions. But under Dorazio’s tutelage, he quickly developed into a CFL all-star and was a finalist for the league’s most outstanding lineman award in 2011, finishing second to Montreal tackle Josh Bourke.

* for the 6-foot-6, 325-pound-er Detroiter, the larger reward will come this offseason when he sorts through the pile of NFL offers coming his way.... Olafioye has emerged as a bona fide NFL prospect; maybe the CFL's best since Cam Wake left the Lions for the Miami Dolphins and a million-dollar signing bonus three years ago.

* It's just a question of where [in the NFL] for Jovan, not when" says Neil McEvoy, the Lions player personnel director who's been fielding calls from NFL teams all season.

* "Anyone who knows football beyond watching the touchdown highlights knows how good this guy is," says Reid. "You want to see domination by an individual at any position, you watch his film and you can put it up against any player in the league."

* "He's a physical gift," says centre Angus Reid. "He's a big, strong, powerful man who likes to hit people. All I have to do is tell him who to hit. That guy won't be getting up for a while. He has all the tools that you need, and the guy has major enthusiasm. When we watch film, we just enjoy sitting back and watching him obliterate people. You're just going to see him get better and better as he figures out the details of the game."

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Thanks for posting. Really liking all the stuff im hearing about him. Now I just wonder what position he will be competing at, probably LG?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think Vince McMahon had the right idea with the XFL, if for only one reason. You were allowed to put your nickname on your jersey. Guys with names like this one here, should have a nickname. Like Hola. Or Oy Vay..

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
JdashSTL said:
Thanks for posting. Really liking all the stuff im hearing about him. Now I just wonder what position he will be competing at, probably LG?

I have to admit someone else put this idea in my head, but...ROT? Think Jon Runyan. Not saying this kid is the equivalent in talent (no one knows yet) but that's the physical type he is.

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
I think Vince McMahon had the right idea with the XFL, if for only one reason. You were allowed to put your nickname on your jersey. Guys with names like this one here, should have a nickname. Like Hola. Or Oy Vay..

Or Road Grader.

Last project I remember working well for the Rams was Bartell and before him Little.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
yamhahopper has seen him play in the CFL, he thinks that he could play Guard or RT. The Rams worked him out, along with another player, in early January.