OL Free Agent List... Time to go shopping

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2826694-an-early-look-at-the-2020-nfl-free-agent-class#slide5

1. Tackle
    1. Bryan Bulaga, Green Bay Packers
    2. Andrew Whitworth, Los Angeles Rams
    3. George Fant, Seattle Seahawks
    4. Anthony Castonzo, Indianapolis Colts
    5. Joe Staley, San Francisco 49ers
    Like the quarterbacks, most of the offensive tackles are older veterans who aren't long-term fixes. Contenders needing bridge options should be intrigued with Andrew Whitworth (37) and Joe Staley (turns 35 in August) should they come available despite their advanced ages. Both have remained effective through excellent technique and intelligence.
    The youngest option in the top five, George Fant, took a solid leap in 2018 after Mike Solari replaced Tom Cable as Seattle's offensive line coach. Fant will be turning 28 next year and has great athleticism at right tackle. He could get money similar to Ja'Wuan James, who signed a four-year, $51 million deal with the Denver Broncos this month.
    There are potential sleepers in the class. La'el Collins hasn't yet proved himself to be reliable, but he could turn the corner in 2019 as he continues to gain experience at right tackle. The Carolina Panthers' Daryl Williams can also cash in if he stays healthy after tearing his MCL in training camp last season and repeats his 2017 play.

Guard
    1. Brandon Scherff, Washington Redskins
    2. Joe Thuney, New England Patriots
    3. Clint Boling, Cincinnati Bengals
    4. Marshal Yanda, Baltimore Ravens
    5. Andrus Peat, New Orleans Saints
    The top of the guard market looks primed to do well in free agency. Both Brandon Scherff, 27, and Joe Thuney, 26, are excellent interior blockers in their primes. Scherff is especially good in the running game, and Thuney has become a masterful pass-blocker.
    Veterans Clint Boling (who turns 30 in May) and Marshal Yanda (34) are two former elites at the position, but age has left them less reliable. Neither can be viewed as more than a one-year starter who will need to be replaced sooner rather than later.
    The guard market dies after those four, as the inconsistent Andrus Peat headlines the rest. If an unheralded backup steps into a bigger role in 2019, the class would benefit. Otherwise, there's not a clear starter in the remaining names.

Center
    1. Cody Whitehair, Chicago Bears
    2. JC Tretter, Cleveland Browns
    3. Rodney Hudson, Oakland Raiders
    4. Mike Pouncey, Los Angeles Chargers
    5. Ben Jones, Tennessee Titans
    Teams needing an upgrade at center could be looking at a solid group that has a variety of strengths. The two youngest options are Cody Whitehair (turns 27 in July) and JC Tretter (28). Though the center position theoretically ages well because of the limited range needed compared to other line spots, adding a potential long-term upgrade is ideal.
    Both Rodney Hudson and Mike Pouncey will be 31 next offseason but bring different talents. Hudson is reliable, missing just three regular-season games since 2013. He fits best in a power-blocking scheme. Pouncey's durability issues led to his release from Miami following the 2017 campaign, but he's a solid zone-blocking center.
    Jones will be 31 next summer but has brought stability to the Titans in his three seasons in Tennessee. He strikes a good balance between power and zone teams, so he could be the best value of the group.

===============================================================

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
we will have 26mil to pay w/. Demoff will fine a way he always does

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't be mad if we went into the draft and drafted all oline. Maybe sprinkle 1 cb in there.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Rams have 26 million in cap space after draft pool.

That's after letting all their UFAs leave, and only Littleton, Legatron and Fowler I'd consider keeping. They'll likely lose 1 of those backers. Existing contracts have to be restructured.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Rams have 26 million in cap space after draft pool.

That's after letting all their UFAs leave, and only Littleton, Legatron and Fowler I'd consider keeping. They'll likely lose 1 of those backers. Existing contracts have to be restructured.
As much as I like Fowler, he's our #1 target for getting a decent draft pick or free agent. I also really like Obo, so his loss won't be felt too much imo.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, Offensive Line will be Priority 1 in the off season and draft and then let's go win the whole damn thing!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Scherff is the piece. Just hope he's not tagged by the Skins. But he's the guy worth paying.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
We need a center. HUdson. EVans, Edwards, Corbetter: 2 of them will fill the position....we are ok at guard. Hav will return to his former self that was more than good enough in 2018--very good. All people have their bad years. Hav could move to guard with Edwards to RT...we will be ok. It is center where we need a powerhouse-- Sully was tough

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anybody thinking those 5 names on the Guard list are going to be cheaper or the same as Saffold should put down the drinks this early on a Monday. Tackles won't be cheaper either. We're going to have to build through the draft or with low level free agents nobody on that list will be a Ram aside from maybe Whitworth.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking at the list of free agents, the list of guys who intrigue me are (in order):
1. Joe Thuney OG
2. Brandon Scherff OG
3. Jack Conklin OT/OG
4. Graham Glasglow OG/C
5. Halapoulivaati Vaitai OG/OT
6. Andrus Peat OG/OT
7. Connor McGovern C/OG
8. B.J. Finney OG/C

In looking at these guys, I see players who fit our system. Conklin is one who really intrigues me. He was great as a rookie, but he hasn't lived up to it since. He's a guy who could potential start at LT, LG, RG, or RT. I don't see Hav going anywhere, but with Noteboom possibly uncertain for the start of the season, having a guy like Conklin who could start at LT to begin the year and then slide inside might make sense. And he could be cheaper than a top OG (more in the Hav range) because of his uneven play.

Thuney and Scherff are obviously top OGs. They'll cost a lot. Glasglow is a good OG who will also probably cost a good chunk of change. Vaitai is an intriguing one. He's a guy who has filled in just about everywhere for Philly and had good moments (along with some bad). I think he'd be intriguing as an OG. Peat has played LG and LT for NO and been good enough, but I've never seen him as a difference maker. I have a feeling he'll get overpaid.

McGovern and Finney are more lottery ticket type guys. Both have Center/Guard versatility and are smart players. There's potential for us to get some good play out of them, and I think they'd be cheaper.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With Whit coming off the books I am confident they will budget in one big ticket lineman. Figure they get one of the top guys locked up right out the gate. Hope it's Scherff in part because I wanted him in the draft, but he also knows McVay.

From there they might go after one of those lottery ticket types too.

Re: Center I think they draft it. You can get those guys outside the early going. Then have open competition which IMO was lacking in camp this year at C and LG.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Anyone else get more depressed about this season looking at this list just knowing shit is probably gonna get worse than better? I keep going back and forth between "well maybe they'll..." type of hope and pure FUCK this season...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone else get more depressed about this season looking at this list just knowing shit is probably gonna get worse than better? I keep going back and forth between "well maybe they'll..." type of hope and pure FUCK this season...
There seems to be plenty of Rams fans online who will agree with you.

For myself this team still has a lot of things going for it. Rest of this season is tryout time for the OL pieces to see who can fuckin ball. If I had to complain about this staff it would be that they take too goddamn long to sit players who deserve it. That's it.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I'm just hoping to see improvement along the Oline. This definitely needs to get fixed. The Offense will not be consistent the way these guys are playing. We need to start getting the young guys like Evens playing, they need experience. Get them ready for next season so we can bounce back.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Looking at the list of free agents, the list of guys who intrigue me are (in order):
1. Joe Thuney OG
2. Brandon Scherff OG
3. Jack Conklin OT/OG
4. Graham Glasglow OG/C
5. Halapoulivaati Vaitai OG/OT
6. Andrus Peat OG/OT
7. Connor McGovern C/OG
8. B.J. Finney OG/C

In looking at these guys, I see players who fit our system. Conklin is one who really intrigues me. He was great as a rookie, but he hasn't lived up to it since. He's a guy who could potential start at LT, LG, RG, or RT. I don't see Hav going anywhere, but with Noteboom possibly uncertain for the start of the season, having a guy like Conklin who could start at LT to begin the year and then slide inside might make sense. And he could be cheaper than a top OG (more in the Hav range) because of his uneven play.

Thuney and Scherff are obviously top OGs. They'll cost a lot. Glasglow is a good OG who will also probably cost a good chunk of change. Vaitai is an intriguing one. He's a guy who has filled in just about everywhere for Philly and had good moments (along with some bad). I think he'd be intriguing as an OG. Peat has played LG and LT for NO and been good enough, but I've never seen him as a difference maker. I have a feeling he'll get overpaid.

McGovern and Finney are more lottery ticket type guys. Both have Center/Guard versatility and are smart players. There's potential for us to get some good play out of them, and I think they'd be cheaper.

Thanks for mentioning Glasgow. He'd be nice in Horns.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Re: Center I think they draft it. You can get those guys outside the early going. Then have open competition which IMO was lacking in camp this year at C and LG.
I wouldn't even risk it and I would use the second-rounder on the best center available.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
There seems to be plenty of Rams fans online who will agree with you.

For myself this team still has a lot of things going for it. Rest of this season is tryout time for the OL pieces to see who can fuckin ball. If I had to complain about this staff it would be that they take too goddamn long to sit players who deserve it. That's it.

I hear ya, the team definitely has a future, no one can dispute that. I just feel after the bad offensive stretch going into the playoffs last year (due to o line play), seeing the team struggle so bad prior to the trade deadline (due to even worse o line play), and not really do anything other than kick the tires on a guy who cant crack the starting lineup that includes Greg Robinson...makes it difficult to enjoy the season...esp after seeing the offense basically nullify any improvement by the defense...

fearsomefour

Legend
I like Spain from Buffalo at LG.
Shouldn’t cost a fortune.
Outside of something like that it’s going to be bargain shopping I think.