Cam Akers injury, rehab & return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Idk if anyone mentioned this but maybe call Jacksonville to inquire about james Robinson. I personally wouldn't trade him if I was them but they did just draft a runningback in the 1st so he might be expendable.

nighttrain

Legend
Idk if anyone mentioned this but maybe call Jacksonville to inquire about james Robinson. I personally wouldn't trade him if I was them but they did just draft a runningback in the 1st so he might be expendable.
Robinson at 5'10" @ 220 lbs would seem to fit the part of what Rams needs at RB, able receiver to boot
train

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Robinson at 5'10" @ 220 lbs would seem to fit the part of what Rams needs at RB, able receiver to boot
train
My thoughts exactly. He can bring that power we've been missing since cj and he's only in his second year. Only thing missing in his game to my knowledge is that breakaway speed.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The humor was in what you said not the circumstances.
I said show me one back who has come back from this.
You responded 'I dont have an example of an RB who didnt come back from the injury either"

I found the response humorous and thought you were attempting to brighten the mood
on a shitty day.
My bad, I'll let you get back to your shitty mood.
Man you are one confused dude....
How am I in a shitty mood? Because I'm not letting the sky fall and wish career ending injury on Akers? Good grief Charlie Brown.
Mikel Leshore, Detroit. Tore achilles and missed rookie season. 2nd season led team in rushing and scored 9 td in 14 games
Stay away from the ledge, Akers is gonna be ok. Just sucks we wont have him this year.
Recent study very favorable towards players returning after Achilles injury

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
That is one quality young man right there. Easy to root for. :thumbsup1:

Since he's been drafted, every single time a window opens where it's his chance the offense is start 'n stop. He just doesn't get it done man. I know a lot of folks like the kid. I do too, just as a change of pace only.

Couldn't disagree more. There has truly only been one window open for him and that was the rotation with Cam and
then when Cam was injured. The only game he played, and was given at least 20 carrys was against Buffalo where
he put up 114yds rushing with a 5.7 ypc and a rushing touchdown.

He was given 138 rushing atts. to Cams 145.
He converted 40 first downs to Cams 26 - 5 rushing TD's to Cams 2 and averaged 4.5ypc to Cams 4.3.

I have no Idea where you get the the Offense was start and start when Hendo was on the field The first down conversions alone says
your statement is off. 40 First down conversions to 26 with 7 less carries.

I am not saying he's better than Cam, but the bottom line is he outperformed Cam during the regular season.
The stats do not lie. Hendo also put up more receiving numbers than Cam. ( 159 - 123)
dhcaaaaa.jpg

I don't know if Hendo is going to be able to stay healthy all year and that's been his knock, but Cam has not done any better
in that aspect.
The point I am trying to make isn't Cam v/s Hendo. I am a fan of both.

All I am saying is Hendo has earned a hell of lot more respect than he gets from a lot of people.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
FWIW, two guys come to mind who have recovered from Achilles repair: Kobe Bryant and Richard Sherman.

In study above, sounds like RBs and LBs don't fare quite as well as compared to other positions. But that was based on a relatively small sample size.

The techniques for sports-related surgeries get better almost every year.

Here's hoping that with world-class treatment and a full year to recover, Cam is back in 2022.

In the meantime, I'm still reeling. Preseason will tell us a lot about what we have in Jones, Funk, and Calais. When healthy, Hendo is capable.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Man you are one confused dude....
How am I in a shitty mood? Because I'm not letting the sky fall and wish career ending injury on Akers? Good grief Charlie Brown.
Mikel Leshore, Detroit. Tore achilles and missed rookie season. 2nd season led team in rushing and scored 9 td in 14 games
Stay away from the ledge, Akers is gonna be ok. Just sucks we wont have him this year.
Recent study very favorable towards players returning after Achilles injury
" Because I'm not letting the sky fall and wish career ending injury on Akers? " I do hope this statement wasn't directed at me.
If it is then you're confused.

I was looking for some good news about the injury. everything I found was career ending type stuff.
I appreciate what you have been able to find. At least there are examples of recoveries.
And that's all I was looking for is some positive news about the recovery being possible.
Thanks

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
" Because I'm not letting the sky fall and wish career ending injury on Akers? " I do hope this statement wasn't directed at me.
If it is then you're confused.

I was looking for some good news about the injury. everything I found was career ending type stuff.
I appreciate what you have been able to find. At least there are examples of recoveries.
And that's all I was looking for is some positive news about the recovery being possible.
Thanks
All righty then, my bad.
I did find an article that listed a bunch of RB that had achilles injuries, and short careers, but that's more an indictment of the RB position.
Akers will be back. Doesnt help us this season, but he will be back

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Well, at least this speaks well to Snead saving a "cushion" of a few million bucks in cap space, in case of emergency. At mid season, whatever position feels like an area of need, we can pull off a trade before the trade deadline.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a big opportunity for Henderson, Jones and Funk.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
All righty then, my bad.
I did find an article that listed a bunch of RB that had achilles injuries, and short careers, but that's more an indictment of the RB position.
Akers will be back. Doesnt help us this season, but he will be back
I think it's likely as we'll, due to his youth.
If he was closer to the 30 yr mark, it would be more of a concern.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Couldn't disagree more. There has truly only been one window open for him and that was the rotation with Cam and
then when Cam was injured. The only game he played, and was given at least 20 carrys was against Buffalo where
he put up 114yds rushing with a 5.7 ypc and a rushing touchdown.

He was given 138 rushing atts. to Cams 145.
He converted 40 first downs to Cams 26 - 5 rushing TD's to Cams 2 and averaged 4.5ypc to Cams 4.3.

I have no Idea where you get the the Offense was start and start when Hendo was on the field The first down conversions alone says
your statement is off. 40 First down conversions to 26 with 7 less carries.

I am not saying he's better than Cam, but the bottom line is he outperformed Cam during the regular season.
The stats do not lie. Hendo also put up more receiving numbers than Cam. ( 159 - 123)
View attachment 46662

I don't know if Hendo is going to be able to stay healthy all year and that's been his knock, but Cam has not done any better
in that aspect.
The point I am trying to make isn't Cam v/s Hendo. I am a fan of both.

All I am saying is Hendo has earned a hell of lot more respect than he gets from a lot of people.
Hendy was better than Akers up until the point the game slowed down for him. From there, which was down the stretch, Akers was the superior back.

Think we will need to agree to disagree on this too. Never said Hendy was shit. Just that every time a window was open for him to own it he has failed to do so. That's not gonna change IMO.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll enjoy seeing what Jones has this year. Watching his highlight reels a few things pop out to me in no particular order.

- He's kinda slow... not lumbering slow but he's going to get run down in the NFL pretty handily.
- A majority of his highlight reel has him running to the right side so not sure if SMU had a really good RG/RT as I know nothing about them but that seemed to be his bread and butter but maybe it was just coincidence of the videos i watched.
- Enough with the negatives, he might not have top end speed but he accelerates to his top speed almost instantly and makes his mind up quickly about what he's going to do.
- Which feeds into him being a really good one cut and go back which he showed often in his highlights. That's really all this offense needs is a RB who can make that cut and go decisively... it's what Gurley excelled at when he could still cut.
- He follows blocks very well and also sets up opposing players well with his shiftiness and good feet.
- seemed to be involved in a handful of trick plays throwing the ball as a RB and some times in wildcat plays. There was talk of Akers maybe doing that this year so maybe Jones can slide into that role if that was true.

Overall, seems serviceable at least. Pass blocking is the key to him staying on the field more than a handful of plays though. Hopefully he's up to that task. He's probably not going to break many huge 10+ runs with his speed in the NFL but he seems to have the perfect combo of feet, decisiveness, and acceleration to be effective in this offense.
A lot of the things you mentioned stood out to me as well. While he’s not a 80 yard home run hitter he will break off a couple 40 yard runs. His instincts as a running back and his feet to me are the best on the team. I like how he sets up his blockers how he follows the design of the play and how he rarely goes down at the first touch. His lack of top end speed is really his only negative imo

dang

Legend
A lot of the things you mentioned stood out to me as well. While he’s not a 80 yard home run hitter he will break off a couple 40 yard runs. His instincts as a running back and his feet to me are the best on the team. I like how he sets up his blockers how he follows the design of the play and how he rarely goes down at the first touch. His lack of top end speed is really his only negative imo
Akers was not an 80 yard home run hitter either but his patience, cuts and power were all coming together by the end of the year.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've called and considered Akers a "natural" since watching his college play, but the second half of last season was the best he's ever looked. Always falling forward, always making the smart choices... he really was becoming an exciting new chapter in the Rams book of great RBs. I hope he picks up where he left off.