OFFICIAL 2020 cuts, trades, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Justin Rohrwasser of Marshall is my choice. He can kick it from deep, and he had a great year at Marshall.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Browns show interest in Jadeveon Clowney with possibly best offer yet for edge rusher, per report

The Cleveland Browns are entering the Jadeveon Clowney sweepstakes. Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, the Browns have shown interest in Clowney and some people around the league believe Cleveland got closer with Clowney than the other suitors. Whether this gives Cleveland the inside track to land Clowney remains to be seen, but the Browns have certainly checked in on the defensive end's asking price.

Cleveland already has Myles Garrett and Olivier Vernon at defensive end and signed Adrian Clayborn to a two-year contract earlier in the week, so the Browns aren't needy of pass rushers. Garrett had 10 sacks and 39 pressures before serving his six-game suspension that ended his 2019 season, but Vernon had just 3.5 sacks in 25 pressures in 10 games and can be cut to create $15.5 million in cap space. The Browns could certainly use an extra pass rusher opposite of Garrett, which is where Clowney comes in.

Clowney has 32 sacks in six NFL seasons with 80 quarterback hits, 252 pressures and three Pro Bowl appearances. He has also graded out exceptionally well via Pro Football Focus, specifically over the past two seasons. He finished with 31 tackles, three sacks, four forced fumbles, 13 quarterback hits and 47 pressures in 13 games, but was hampered for the majority of the second half of the season with a core muscle injury, explaining why the sack numbers are down. Clowney had surgery on the core muscle injury, which shouldn't affect him for the 2020 season.

Clowney has reportedly lowered his asking price from north of $20 million per season to $17-18 million which may have been why the Browns have entered the mix. The Titans and Seahawks are also interested in Clowney, even though Seattle will have to maneuver cap space as they are currently have $14,825,497 in cap space (per Over The Cap).

Cleveland has the most cap space in the NFL at $43 million and can create much more by parting ways with Vernon, so signing Clowney to a massive deal won't be an issue. The Browns certainly have the finances to give Clowney want he wants and emerge as the winner of the sweepstakes.

Ram65

Legend
Browns show interest in Jadeveon Clowney with possibly best offer yet for edge rusher, per report

The Cleveland Browns are entering the Jadeveon Clowney sweepstakes. Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, the Browns have shown interest in Clowney and some people around the league believe Cleveland got closer with Clowney than the other suitors. Whether this gives Cleveland the inside track to land Clowney remains to be seen, but the Browns have certainly checked in on the defensive end's asking price.

Cleveland already has Myles Garrett and Olivier Vernon at defensive end and signed Adrian Clayborn to a two-year contract earlier in the week, so the Browns aren't needy of pass rushers. Garrett had 10 sacks and 39 pressures before serving his six-game suspension that ended his 2019 season, but Vernon had just 3.5 sacks in 25 pressures in 10 games and can be cut to create $15.5 million in cap space. The Browns could certainly use an extra pass rusher opposite of Garrett, which is where Clowney comes in.

Clowney has 32 sacks in six NFL seasons with 80 quarterback hits, 252 pressures and three Pro Bowl appearances. He has also graded out exceptionally well via Pro Football Focus, specifically over the past two seasons. He finished with 31 tackles, three sacks, four forced fumbles, 13 quarterback hits and 47 pressures in 13 games, but was hampered for the majority of the second half of the season with a core muscle injury, explaining why the sack numbers are down. Clowney had surgery on the core muscle injury, which shouldn't affect him for the 2020 season.

Clowney has reportedly lowered his asking price from north of $20 million per season to $17-18 million which may have been why the Browns have entered the mix. The Titans and Seahawks are also interested in Clowney, even though Seattle will have to maneuver cap space as they are currently have $14,825,497 in cap space (per Over The Cap).

Cleveland has the most cap space in the NFL at $43 million and can create much more by parting ways with Vernon, so signing Clowney to a massive deal won't be an issue. The Browns certainly have the finances to give Clowney want he wants and emerge as the winner of the sweepstakes.

Get him out of the division. Browns don't have a lot of long term defensive player contracts. Interesting article on there philosophy of putting long term deals on the offense. They got the money to sign Clowney to go along with Garrett. Easy move to make.

Don't waste your time reading the video...

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The McCaffrey signing has similarities to the extension Gurley received prior to the start of the 2018 season.

Both were drafted in similar spots (Gurley at 10 and McCaffrey at 8, I believe). Both signed prior to the start of their fourth season, when their teams still had two years of control. Both were coming off a great third season, and each was 24 (again, I believe). Even the contracts were similar at four years ($60M for Gurley and $64M for McCaffrey).

This extension for McCaffrey looks reasonable and fair right now but how will it look in a year or two?

Some posters have said recently that they did not like the Gurley extension when it happened. Personally, I was fine with it at the time but it turned out badly.

Hindsight is perfect but what do posters think right now?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The McCaffrey signing has similarities to the extension Gurley received prior to the start of the 2018 season.

Both were drafted in similar spots (Gurley at 10 and McCaffrey at 8, I believe). Both signed prior to the start of their fourth season, when their teams still had two years of control. Both were coming off a great third season, and each was 24 (again, I believe). Even the contracts were similar at four years ($60M for Gurley and $64M for McCaffrey).

This extension for McCaffrey looks reasonable and fair right now but how will it look in a year or two?

Some posters have said recently that they did not like the Gurley extension when it happened. Personally, I was fine with it at the time but it turned out badly.

It's something Carolina had to do. They don't have any other threats on offense, and they'll likely be breaking in a rookie quarterback.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler

I'm with you. At the time I was all for Todd's deal just like I am now with Christian. Shit happens and we got burned on TGs deal but just because it happened to Todd doesnt mean it will happen to Christian. With that said I'm all for players getting their money and I'm happy for him and Carolina but I hope the Rams dont do it again.

Ram65

Legend
That's a lot for RB. It seems risky to me. Have to see the details. He as had a lot of touches with the catches and rushes.

Last edited:

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
McCaffrey has definitely earned it, the biggest issue I would have is you have a new HC and OC, are they good enough to get that moneys worth out of McCaffrey with the new offense? I get they want talent, but they don't even truly what is going to work for their team yet and they are going to make him the highest paid player at his position before they have coached down 1 for the team. I believe that is tempting fate even with all his great talent.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I didn't like the Gurley extension. Other teams get good production from multiple runningbacks. It's a safer way to go. Put the money on the Offensive line. The Rams Oline from the 80's turned average players into stars. Charles White's best season prior to playing for the Rams was 342 yards. His best with the Rams was 1374. His average yards per carry was 3.2 in Cleveland and 4.5 in LA.

Then Gregg Bell's best season in Buffalo was 1100 yards and 7tds in his rookie year. After his rookie season he had 883 and it kept going down from there. He comes to the Rams and had back to back seasons of 1212 and 16 tds and 1137 yards and 15 tds. It's all about the Oline.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I pretty much agree Elmgrovegnome but I think White’s big season was 1987. That was one of the two strike-shortened seasons. That was the one with scabs playing a handful of games, with some NFL players crossing the picket line. I believe White played with and against scabs.

In the thread on Gurley being released, a number of posters said they thought the extension was bad when it was signed. Looking to see how many felt that way now about the McCaffrey signing.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I pretty much agree Elmgrovegnome but I think White’s big season was 1987. That was one of the two strike-shortened seasons. That was the one with scabs playing a handful of games, with some NFL players crossing the picket line. I believe White played with and against scabs.

In the thread on Gurley being released, a number of posters said they thought the extension was bad when it was signed. Looking to see how many felt that way now about the McCaffrey signing.
We prefer replacement professionals!

fearsomefour

Legend
Dont get me wrong, im glad Brockers is back but i just saw Shelby Harris go back to DEN 2.5 mil for 1 yr...good against the run and had 6 sacks
I wanted Harris over Brockers.
I would have guessed Harris salary at about $12M a year.
Wow, that is a crazy cheap deal.