OFFICIAL 2020 cuts, trades, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Greg has had some problems with his back and let me tell you from experience a bad back can be a bitch of a thing to overcome.
It couldn't be that bad Fassel knew everything there is to know about GZ and his injury situation. So I doubt that was it. It was a money and accuracy thing why he got let go.

Ram65

Legend
So, you must have hated when GZ was drafted because he was an unkwown right? Because that's your logic here.

It's painful to put this list up but, you have to put drafting GZ in time perspective.

NFL​
NFC​
West​
4th​
2​
14​
0​
Scott Linehan (0–4)
Jim Haslett (2–10)
NFL​
NFC​
West​
4th​
1​
15​
0​
Steve Spagnuolo
NFL​
NFC​
West​
2nd​
7​
9​
0​
Sam Bradford (OROY)
NFL​
NFC​
West​
4th​
2​
14​
0​
NFL​
NFC​
West​
3rd​
7​
8​
1​
Jeff Fisher
NFL​
NFC​
West​
4th​
7​
9​
0​
NFL​
NFC​
West​
4th​
6​
10​
0​
Aaron Donald (DROY)
NFL​
NFC​
West​
3rd​
7​
9​
0​
Todd Gurley (OROY)

The Rams were in that losing period finishing 2-14 the season before GZ was drafted. It was Fisher's and Fassel's first year with the Rams. GZ just had a great year in college with a history of long FGs.

College career[edit]
Zuerlein attended the University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) for three seasons but sat out the 2010 season with a hip injury. Zuerlein set the UNO school record of 61 consecutive PATs while converting 19 of 26 field goal attempts.

UNO cancelled its football program in 2011, and he moved to another Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association school, Missouri Western State University, in 2011.[2] There, he set a NCAA Division II record of 21 consecutive field goals, nine of which were beyond 50 yards, including two from 58 yards. He had a .952 field goal percentage completing 23 of 24 attempts, which was the highest of any NCAA player in any division with 12 or more attempts in 2011 as he averaged 10.7 points per game.[3][4]

The Rams have turned the corner and now have a chance to be a playoff team for years to come. There is more on the line coming into 2020 than 2012. If the Rams can find a FG kicker with GZs resume I'm all in and a lot less concerned.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, you must have hated when GZ was drafted because he was an unkwown right? Because that's your logic here.

It was a difference situation. Josh Brown had been a free agent bust for us. We paid him like a top kicker, and he ended up being very mediocre. There wasn't much love lost. Oddly enough, though, Josh went on to hit 91.7% of his FGs in the five years after he left us.

In this scenario, we're letting a kicker walk who was very arguably the second best kicker in the NFL over McVay's first two years and nailed a 57 yard FG to put us in the Super Bowl just last year. Yes, Greg had a down year, but there's still a lot of love for him here. If this goes bad, it could blow up in our faces.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was a difference situation. Josh Brown had been a free agent bust for us. We paid him like a top kicker, and he ended up being very mediocre. There wasn't much love lost. Oddly enough, though, Josh went on to hit 91.7% of his FGs in the five years after he left us.

In this scenario, we're letting a kicker walk who was very arguably the second best kicker in the NFL over McVay's first two years and nailed a 57 yard FG to put us in the Super Bowl just last year. Yes, Greg had a down year, but there's still a lot of love for him here. If this goes bad, it could blow up in our faces.
and should. Legatron had a down year but will come back while we struggle with a college scrub whose limit is probably 38 yard FG's.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

Great point, but that was not the purpose of my response to the original poster. The original poster said he didn't want to risk going with a rookie kicker, yet he liked GZ and GZ was once a drafted unknown.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great point, but that was not the purpose of my response to the original poster. The original poster said he didn't want to risk going with a rookie kicker, yet he liked GZ and GZ was once a drafted unknown.

Okay, but as I said, it's easier to stomach an unknown when you're not happy with the incumbent. That's the issue here. Many of us like GZ and are nervous about replacing him with somebody who might not pan out.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
GZ came in to a team that had just gone 2-14. The Rams could have signed Barney the purple dinosaur to play o-line and I probably have shrugged. Yeah, instead they got Quinn Ojinnaka.

Anyhow, the expectations for the team were different back then. More is expected from today's Rams than back then in Fisher's first year. And with greater expectations comes greater risk.

Plus I have some history/trust issues with management. I trusted that the team had ready, capable replacements for Sullivan and Saffold. They did not. So I have doubts about the team's ability to replace GZ, especially with The Ficken Experience still pretty fresh.

So, yeah, context matters and the risk and reliance on the new player is quite different than back then. Just my POV.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
and should. Legatron had a down year but will come back while we struggle with a college scrub whose limit is probably 38 yard FG's.

Blankenship has plenty of leg. He's not GZ, but he can hit FGs in the 50s.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Okay, but as I said, it's easier to stomach an unknown when you're not happy with the incumbent. That's the issue here. Many of us like GZ and are nervous about replacing him with somebody who might not pan out.
I get it..... as long as your not making fun of my boy Rodrigo with the old school, black rim glasses :p

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It couldn't be that bad Fassel knew everything there is to know about GZ and his injury situation. So I doubt that was it. It was a money and accuracy thing why he got let go.

If they are so certain that Greg Z is healthy then why do they need Forbath too? Seems like an insurance policy.

yes it could, or Gregg's back could still be a problem and the Rams will look smart for moving on. I also recall reading articles on scouting and how GM's are keeping tabs on college players and position availability a few years in advance. Maybe Snead feels there is a very good chance to land Greg' s replacement this Spring. He is the guy who signed Zeurlein in the first place.

At this point this move isn't getting me too excited either way. Until I see the new kicker, or I see if Greg can return to form, or continue regressing due to injury, I'm not going to be worried about it. The Rams have bigger issues right now imo.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
71F98D94-632E-4242-BD7B-5696622CBD15.png