OFFICIAL 2020 cuts, trades, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Perfect, a nearsighted rookie kicker. No thanks.
Yeah? Consistency: converted 82% of FG Attempts over 3 seasons; Range: made 4 kicks over 50 yards

If not for the Kicker from LSU have 40 Extra point attempts more than the others, he would've lead the FBS in scoring this past season.

There aren't any kickers as consistent and with long range as Blakenship.

So, what does that say about all the others without glasses?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dallas and John Fassel disagree and they already had Kai Forbath under contract.
does that sound like something a smart franchise would do? Sign a kicker when they already have an established one? lol

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
Not the salary you should pay a kicker who was 5/11 from 40-49 yards out.

Nice that you ignored the 5 of 7 from over 50, 14 of 15 from under 40 and 100% on XP's.

The guys has been one of the top 5-7 kickers in the league for years. Being unwilling to pay 3 million for that seems silly given our other needs. We created another one.. He missed 6 of his career 14 misses from that range last year. Yes, let's give up on him.

We live in such an impatient society. One bad year and folks on here want everyone from Demoff to Fassel to Greg gone. Yet the Steelers, Pats, Pack and a few others stick with good people throughout the bumps and the same folks wonder why we can't have that kind of success.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I do know that losing a great person AND coach in Fassel is going to hurt at some juncture. Great organizations HATE losing good people, particularly in lateral moves. Maybe Greg is hurt more than we know, but I sure hope we can find someone that will perform so well that at season's end, there will be nothing to nitpick about.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not the salary you should pay a kicker who was 5/11 from 40-49 yards out.

There's a lot of volatility in kicking from year to year. Greg had a down year (he hit 90% of his FGs over his previous 3 years and that 57 yard FG that put us in the Super Bowl). I expect him to bounce back and think this is a big mistake. I hope we don't get Robby Gould'd like Chicago. Chicago let Gould walk after he hit only 82.4% of his FGs during his final 2 years there. Chicago hasn't had a consistent K since Gould left, whereas Gould has hit 90.5% of his FGs in the 4 years since he left.

Simply put, this is a move that could bite us in the ass.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice that you ignored the 5 of 7 from over 50, 14 of 15 from under 40 and 100% on XP's.

The guys has been one of the top 5-7 kickers in the league for years. Being unwilling to pay 3 million for that seems silly given our other needs. We created another one.. He missed 6 of his career 14 misses from that range last year. Yes, let's give up on him.

We live in such an impatient society. One bad year and folks on here want everyone from Demoff to Fassel to Greg gone. Yet the Steelers, Pats, Pack and a few others stick with good people throughout the bumps and the same folks wonder why we can't have that kind of success.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I do know that losing a great person AND coach in Fassel is going to hurt at some juncture. Great organizations HATE losing good people, particularly in lateral moves. Maybe Greg is hurt more than we know, but I sure hope we can find someone that will perform so well that at season's end, there will be nothing to nitpick about.
1. I didn't "ignore". Anything. He kicked almost twice as many from 40-49 which is why it's probably more important than over 50.

2. As you already said, the Rams had plenty of holes on the roster and not a lot of money to do so. So if that 3 million had to go to Brockers or go to Greg, I'm picking Mike.

3. the NFL has the nickname "not for long" for a reason. If Mcvay wanted Fassel and GZ, he would have brought them back. And 2 of the three teams you names haven't been in a superbowl in over a decade. And the Patriots are notorious for letting players walk.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a lot of volatility in kicking from year to year. Greg had a down year (he hit 90% of his FGs over his previous 3 years and that 57 yard FG that put us in the Super Bowl). I expect him to bounce back and think this is a big mistake. I hope we don't get Robby Gould'd like Chicago. Chicago let Gould walk after he hit only 82.4% of his FGs during his final 2 years there. Chicago hasn't had a consistent K since Gould left, whereas Gould has hit 90.5% of his FGs in the 4 years since he left.

Simply put, this is a move that could bite us in the ass.
I hear you on that. Maybe I just prioritize the defense and the offense more. So if we're choosing between using that money to add to a Brockers' deal (for example), I'd rather have him.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Yeah? Consistency: converted 82% of FG Attempts over 3 seasons; Range: made 4 kicks over 50 yards

If not for the Kicker from LSU have 40 Extra point attempts more than the others, he would've lead the FBS in scoring this past season.

There aren't any kickers as consistent and with long range as Blakenship.

So, what does that say about all the others without glasses?
Blankenship hasn’t made one kick in the nfl yet so he’s nobody to me. I have a lot of respect and appreciation for GZ for all the pressure kicks he made for us over the years and I don’t like starting the next season with some other teams castoff kicker or some college kid. Remember Roberto Aguayo?

Kevin

Pro Bowler
does that sound like something a smart franchise would do? Sign a kicker when they already have an established one? lol
Jesus, it’s something a team does when the special teams coach knows the available kicker (Zuerlein) s a helluva lot better than the one they got. LOL

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jesus, it’s something a team does when the special teams coach knows the available kicker (Zuerlein) s a helluva lot better than the one they got. LOL
Lol they knew he was a good kicker before they signed forbath! Who signs two kickers in the same off-season ? You can like Greg all you want but that's bizarre no matter what.

And Greg's market was Stone cold. The NFL doesn't value kickers like we fans do.

Last edited:

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
1. I didn't "ignore". Anything. He kicked almost twice as many from 40-49 which is why it's probably more important than over 50.

2. As you already said, the Rams had plenty of holes on the roster and not a lot of money to do so. So if that 3 million had to go to Brockers or go to Greg, I'm picking Mike.

3. the NFL has the nickname "not for long" for a reason. If Mcvay wanted Fassel and GZ, he would have brought them back. And 2 of the three teams you names haven't been in a superbowl in over a decade. And the Patriots are notorious for letting players walk.

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree on Greg's value. I'm not one to argue on a website. But to be clear:

1. Greg attempted 11 from 40-49 and and additional 22 from all other distances combined. He didn't have a great year, particularly because of the stats you mentioned. But picking out that particular range while not mentioning tremendous success, in half the attempts, from beyond it is nitpicking in my opinion.

2. The cap next approaches 200 million. I get we're up against it, but failure to sign an established kicker for under 3 million is playing with fire, imo. I hope the rookie we draft or acquire as an undrafted player turns out just as well as Greg's poor year last year. I know I'll take it, if that's what we're left with acquiring.

It will look even more silly to me if we end up paying 1-2 million on a guy we hope rebounds like Forbath, Gostkowski, or some other vet. Again, the cap is almost 200 million and as we've been able to see over time, these guys win and lose games for us on their own.

3. I admit to being concerned about why Fassel left. Great guy, awesome ST coach. Lateral move. Not sure how to read that one.

If you view the quality of an organization solely on it's Super Bowl appearances, then we are simply wired differently. For example, I couldn't follow or "like" Marlins in MLB to save my life, but they have been to the World Series more recently than the Braves, who I believe have had strong management throughout.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think the whole world knew gz is a better kicker.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fair enough, we can agree to disagree on Greg's value. I'm not one to argue on a website. But to be clear:

1. Greg attempted 11 from 40-49 and and additional 22 from all other distances combined. He didn't have a great year, particularly because of the stats you mentioned. But picking out that particular range while not mentioning tremendous success, in half the attempts, from beyond it is nitpicking in my opinion.

2. The cap next approaches 200 million. I get we're up against it, but failure to sign an established kicker for under 3 million is playing with fire, imo. I hope the rookie we draft or acquire as an undrafted player turns out just as well as Greg's poor year last year. I know I'll take it, if that's what we're left with acquiring.

It will look even more silly to me if we end up paying 1-2 million on a guy we hope rebounds like Forbath, Gostkowski, or some other vet. Again, the cap is almost 200 million and as we've been able to see over time, these guys win and lose games for us on their own.

3. I admit to being concerned about why Fassel left. Great guy, awesome ST coach. Lateral move. Not sure how to read that one.

If you view the quality of an organization solely on it's Super Bowl appearances, then we are simply wired differently. For example, I couldn't follow or "like" Marlins in MLB to save my life, but they have been to the World Series more recently than the Braves, who I believe have had strong management throughout.
We're really tight on cap. I'm not sure how anyone prioritizes zuerlien over brockers, but that's just me. And if zuerlien turned into a shell of himself, fans would then be criticizing the team for signing a guy who has had multiple injuries over the last two years and kicked a meager 72 percent on the year. And like I said before, the most successful team that you named (pats) are notorious for letting players walk because they're good enough to find replacements.

All well though. Let's hope Mcvay is right. Cheers.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
We're really tight on cap. I'm not sure how anyone prioritizes zuerlien over brockers, but that's just me. And if zuerlien turned into a shell of himself, fans would then be criticizing the team for signing a guy who has had multiple injuries over the last two years and kicked a meager 72 percent on the year. And like I said before, the most successful team that you named (pats) are notorious for letting players walk because they're good enough to find replacements.

All well though. Let's hope Mcvay is right. Cheers.

The Pats do a wonderful job of keeping their core players. Their last kicker was with the team for 14 years.

I will share, I hope like hell I eat crow on this one! It will mean the Rams found a better and cheaper alternative, which would be perfect regardless of position. So yes, let's really hope McVay and Snead are right on this one!

Cheers!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No cap space, so going after the best, cheapest options. I wish that said they were talking to Williamson.

This year will be a holding pattern on the rebuild. Baby steps. Get Ramsey signed, and hope to have more cap flexibility next March.

Williamson isn't available. Jets still haven't released him.

Tano

Legend
Sorry Dumb Ass Move - without Greg - we don't go to the superbowl

Last year he had hamstring issues - you could tell from his kickoffs alone

I bet with an offseason of rest he goes back to being one of the best kickers in the NFL