Offensive philosophy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Two years ago, the Rams dumped Amendola and Jackson and picked up Cook, Austin, Bailey, Cunningham, and Stacy. The idea was to have a more open, explosive, younger offense. Four games into the season, it was quite evident that the young "skill" guys and injured linemen couldn't sustain the plan. A weakened schedule and emergence of Stacy started the formation of an offensive identity based on power running and Bradford's skill as a play action QB. Of course, that crashed with Sam's knee. Kellen Clemens' limitations were obvious despite his admirable effort.

Last year, the plan was to elevate the running game with Robinson and Mason while going BIG with Cook, Quick, and Britt (btw, Bailey is our best WR blocker). Again, the plan to stretch the field on play action crumbled with Sam's knee. Austin and Hill threw downfield but their limitations were crippling.

Which leads me to this year's offseason and my personal speculation. There's a reason Fisher mentioned "continuity" as the crux of future success. Even his QB Coach turned coordinator made it clear in his introductory press conference. Running the football will be the key to success. With this in mind, here are my offseason predictions:

The FA period will add DL depth (older vet w 1 year deal), at LG (Iupati, Franklin,Boling), and a legitimate fullback (Kuhn, Felton). I want either Wisniewski or Hudson but fear we won't land either.

With that in mind, here is my draft.

WR: Kevin White QB: Hundley. LB: Perryman. C: Shaq Mason. Trade up for TE: Jesse James

Reasoning? A running team will find itself in third and mid range often and you need a receiver who will win the jump ball when covered. White will move the chains. Hundley has the tools to learn behind Bradford and the moxie to survive if pressed into action early. Perryman can be a SLB in situations needed until he eventually replaces JL. Mason is the demon run blocking center that will anchor the line for years. James is the in-line TE that fleshes out this kind of offense.

I don't expect many to agree but I only need one ... Queue Mr Snead...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm pretty sure that pseudo-spread offense was implemented to cover up a weakness at RB. Richardson just wasn't going to do it on his own, and the others weren't ready yet. It wasn't, IIRC, a vertical spread anyway. It was just a way of getting players out in space and getting them the ball for short gains to supplement running it. It looked good to start the season against the Cards; but like you said, it wasn't sustainable with the line play.

I think Fisher just wants to control the game and impose his will both offensively and defensively. Physical football isn't really synonymous with a wide open passing attack, obviously, so he's always gonna want to run the ball and dictate the pace of the game that way. I don't know about your draft, because I kinda stopped trying to predict that after whiffing so often. Whatever it takes to stay big and strong on both sides of the ball will likely be the way they approach FA and the draft, IMO.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Compared to Schotty, I certainly hope this offense emphasizes more on execution than scheme.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Two years ago, the Rams dumped Amendola and Jackson and picked up Cook, Austin, Bailey, Cunningham, and Stacy. The idea was to have a more open, explosive, younger offense. Four games into the season, it was quite evident that the young "skill" guys and injured linemen couldn't sustain the plan. A weakened schedule and emergence of Stacy started the formation of an offensive identity based on power running and Bradford's skill as a play action QB. Of course, that crashed with Sam's knee. Kellen Clemens' limitations were obvious despite his admirable effort.

Last year, the plan was to elevate the running game with Robinson and Mason while going BIG with Cook, Quick, and Britt (btw, Bailey is our best WR blocker). Again, the plan to stretch the field on play action crumbled with Sam's knee. Austin and Hill threw downfield but their limitations were crippling.

Which leads me to this year's offseason and my personal speculation. There's a reason Fisher mentioned "continuity" as the crux of future success. Even his QB Coach turned coordinator made it clear in his introductory press conference. Running the football will be the key to success. With this in mind, here are my offseason predictions:

The FA period will add DL depth (older vet w 1 year deal), at LG (Iupati, Franklin,Boling), and a legitimate fullback (Kuhn, Felton). I want either Wisniewski or Hudson but fear we won't land either.

With that in mind, here is my draft.

WR: Kevin White QB: Hundley. LB: Perryman. C: Shaq Mason. Trade up for TE: Jesse James

Reasoning? A running team will find itself in third and mid range often and you need a receiver who will win the jump ball when covered. White will move the chains. Hundley has the tools to learn behind Bradford and the moxie to survive if pressed into action early. Perryman can be a SLB in situations needed until he eventually replaces JL. Mason is the demon run blocking center that will anchor the line for years. James is the in-line TE that fleshes out this kind of offense.

I don't expect many to agree but I only need one ... Queue Mr Snead...
Hadn't really considered a FB being acquired. I really like it. Felton was a mad man paving the road for Peterson and AP gave him all the credit in the world too.

It would also allow Harkey slide into Kendricks' old role much easier. I think he'd really excel as that inline blocker/outlet receiver more than his prior h-back assignment. I really think his size and sneaky speed can make for some great situational playcalls.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
O-line, QB/O-line, QB/O-line.

My QBs: Bradford, Hill, Hundley
My OL: GRob, Iupati, Mason, Saffold, Barksdale

I admit I haven't decided OL depth yet but it's obviously needed

Alan

Legend
leoram wanting his keep his cake and eat it too:
My OL: GRob, Iupati, Mason, Saffold, Barksdale

I admit I haven't decided OL depth yet but it's obviously needed
Your choice at QB is fine with me but I don't like Iupati even at 70% of what he will cost someone. Barksdale doesn't like our offer and I don't particularly like him anyway and I don't like Mason. What I do know is that we're not going to get there, starters and depth, by drafting a WR, QB and LB with our first three choices.

I have different priorities than you and WR doesn't even come in in the top 5 on my list. If we sign Britt.

Though I would love a LB in the 4th round or so. :) Having said that, I don't count on any player chosen below the 3rd round to ever amount to much. Yes I know we've had some good luck there in the past but the math is against any duplication of that.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your choice at QB is fine with me but I don't like Iupati even at 70% of what he will cost someone. Barksdale doesn't like our offer and I don't particularly like him anyway and I don't like Mason. What I do know is that we're not going to get there, starters and depth, by drafting a WR, QB and LB with our first three choices.

I have different priorities than you and WR doesn't even come in in the top 5 on my list. If we sign Britt.

Though I would love a LB in the 4th round or so. :) Having said that, I don't count on any player chosen below the 3rd round to ever amount to much. Yes I know we've had some good luck there in the past but the math is against any duplication of that.

Why have cake and not eat it?

Now, I would love to get Hudson and Franklin in FA and then draft Sherff and Mason. I just don't believe that will happen. I get that the OLine has been our weak link due to injury for a dozen years. I even think our WR corps is fine w Britt, who should return. But like scratching my head about Donald when we needed Martin, I believe Snisher will take the high value and at 10 it will be White who is far superior to anyone else we have. I also believe the OLine I suggested would be a top 5 run blocking unit and an adequate if unspectacular pass blocking one. Yes, we need to acquire more OLine depth. But the Rams targeted Mosley last year because LB depth is as dire as the OLine. If either JL or AO go down, the D would crumble just as badly as the O without a QB. A true in-line mauler at TE and top flight FB would make the offense imposing.

Besides, the last three years I pounded the table for DeCastro, Cooper, and Martin. Maybe if I let it go, Snisher will stop passive-aggressively avoiding my guards.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
leoram having trouble with the concept:
Why have cake and not eat it?

I believe Snisher will take the high value and at 10 it will be White who is far superior to anyone else we have.

Besides, the last three years I pounded the table for DeCastro, Cooper, and Martin. Maybe if I let it go, Snisher will stop passive-aggressively avoiding my guards.

Because then you wouldn't have it anymore.
:LOL:

Of course that presupposes that Snisher won't trade down and load up on O-linemen (not holding my breath).

I like that plan. (y) Has to work better than the plan you and I have been using in the past. :LOL: