Off-season report card: St. Louis Rams/SI.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Off-season report card: St. Louis Rams

By Doug Farrar

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/17/st-louis-rams-offseason-report-card

When Buddy Ryan was an NFL coach, he considered offense to be a nuisance and defense a necessity. He was perhaps the best defensive mind in NFL history, but Buddy was never a balanced coach. In his 1993 Houston Oilers defensive playbook, Ryan opined that quarterbacks were "over-paid, over-rated pompous bastards and must be punished." Ryan once took a swing at Houston's offensive coordinator, Kevin Gilbride, during a game.

Jeff Fisher, who played safety under Ryan with the Bears and coached under him in Chicago and Philadelphia, has adopted a more balanced approach through his own two decades as a head coach. However, his tenure with the Rams, which started in 2012, clearly reflects a defense-first mentality. The Rams have assembled the most formidable defensive line in the NFL. They have outstanding linebackers and an up-and-coming secondary. They've finished seventh, 11th and ninth in Football Outsiders' defensive metrics over Fisher's three years in charge, but have never cracked the .500 mark, because the offense has lagged behind.

It hasn't helped that Fisher's had an underwhelming rotation at quarterback, nor did Brian Schottenheimer take advantage of the personnel he was given. St. Louis has finished 21st, 22nd and 25th in offensive efficiency in those same years, and the Rams finally realized that if they wanted to make any sort of dent in the hyper-competitive NFC West, a change or two would need to be made on that side of the ball.

Schottenheimer left for Georgia to be the Bulldogs's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, replaced in St. Louis by former quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti. Then, quarterback Sam Bradford—whose impressive potential had always been hampered by injuries throughout his NFL career—was traded to the Eagles for quarterback Nick Foles in March. An offensive line full of problems in 2014 was seriously re-filled in the regular draft, with three tackles and a guard selected. Then, the team doubled down by selecting Clemson tackle Isaiah Battle in the supplemental draft. And with the 10th overall pick in the 2015 draft, the Rams took Georgia running back Todd Gurley, the most impressive collegiate rusher since Adrian Peterson, who could redefine St. Louis' offense if he's fully recovered from last year's ACL injury.

Questions still abound, but it's clear that the Rams have a renewed commitment to their offense. What on earth would Buddy Ryan think?

Grade: B-

Best acquisition: Nick Foles, QB

In 2013, Chip Kelly's first season as Eagles's coach, Foles threw 27 touchdowns and two interception, and made the Pro Bowl as an injury fill-in for Michael Vick in 2013. However, Kelly prefers a mobile quarterback who can adapt to changing circumstances; in short, not Foles. One of the main components of his successful 2013 season was that Philly's line had the same starters all season. In 2014, with that same line affected by injury and suspension, Foles regressed pretty heavily—he threw 13 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in just eight games, and missed half of the season with a broken collarbone. Last year, per Pro Football Focus, Foles completed fewer than 40% of his passes when pressured.

That makes for an interesting marriage of team and player, considering St. Louis' line issues, but Fisher insists that Foles could be the Rams' long-term answer at the position. The two sides have been talking about a contract extension for a while, and Foles could get an deal worth $12-14 million per year, with $20 million guaranteed.

His 2013 season made history, and his follow-up campaign was a mystery. The Rams would settle for something in the middle, consistently, over the next few years.

"We've had some discussions," Fisher said during OTAs. "I think what Nick has done early in his career, he's proven he can get the job done on the field. With the numbers that he put up there it was very impressive. He's carried things on here and so we're going to continue to talk and see if we can get something that's good for both sides."

Stability at the game's most important position would be a huge edge for the Rams—something they haven't had since the days of Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger. And that's the main reason this franchise hasn't sniffed the postseason for more than a decade.

Biggest loss: Jake Long, OT

In 2013, Long was still a pretty solid left tackle, allowing six sacks and 32 total pressures on 469 passing plays. But the follow-up season was a nightmare for the veteran, as he suffered a torn ACL—his second in two seasons—and was released by the Rams in March due to injury and salary cap concerns. First-round pick Greg Robinson had to slide over to left tackle when Long was hurt, a position he wasn't yet ready to handle.

Though Long is essentially retired unless some desperate team decides to take a flyer on him, his absence was the first falling domino for a line that performed far under par no matter the situation. The Rams had thought about putting Long at a different position, but in the end, thought it was a better call to blow it all up and start over. They released center Scott Wells the same day they cut Long.

"Jake and Scott brought experience and professionalism to our program, and we appreciate their commitment and hard work," Fisher said in a statement. "Both of them overcame injury difficulties and provided leadership for our younger players. We look forward to seeing what the future holds for both of them."

A wise move for the future, but where does that leadership come from now?

Underrated draft pick: Andrew Donnal, OT, Iowa (119th overall pick)

Of the linemen the Rams selected in this draft, Donnal may have the most potential to make an immediate difference. He was Brandon Scherff's bookend at right tackle for the Hawkeyes in 2014, looking every bit the NFL prospect with impressive strength for his 6'6", 313-pound frame, and an easy kick-step that allows him to pass-protect with aplomb.

Why did he fall to the fourth round? Donnal dealt with injuries in the 2012 and '13 seasons, making his way as a reserve until he finally got a shot as a full-time starter last year. He's going to have to adjust to the NFL's more complex pressure schemes, but with the right coaching and a little patience, Donnal could be the Rams' answer on the right side for a long time, if he can stay healthy.

Looming question for training camp: What on earth is this offensive line going to look like?

This much we know: Wisconsin's Rob Havenstein and Louisville's Jamon Brown will likely start the season on the Rams' line as rookies—the early projection has Havenstein at right tackle and Brown at right guard. Then again, if Donnal realizes his potential early, that could shake things up. Frenso State guard Cody Wichmann, taken in the sixth round, seems more of a project -- he's an earthmoving mauler, but needs a lot of work with his mobilty and change of direction skills. Battle will be battling (sorry) for a place in that line as well. Barrett Jones at center and Greg Robinson at left tackle are the only seemingly sure things right now, though Robinson proved himself to be a better guard in his rookie campaign.

Teams have to deal with roster churn on their offensive lines all the time, but this is ridiculous. Fisher, for his part, seems nonplussed by the whole thing.

"They're going to be ready to go, so that's not going to be an issue," the coach recently said. "We don't have a lot of experience at the center position, but you gain experience by playing. We'll make that decision at some point. Like I said, I'm pleased with the flexibility. I'm pleased with where [Brown] is right now at the guard spot. Rob has been solid at right tackle. They're not making mistakes.

"I think they will probably improve significantly when the pads go on because it stalemates a little bit with the defense. Defense wins right now. That's just how OTAs are. Defense is going to win."

Wishful thinking? To a degree, sure. But Fisher's right about one thing—unless everything comes together to an uncommon degree in this new-look offense, the defense will win, and the Rams will go as far as the defense takes it.

Again.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Battle will be battling (sorry) for a place in that line as well."

Chalk up another article for a national reporter who doesn't know the facts. I'm sorry you don't do your homework.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The story line that the biggest loss was Jake Long ??? I was under the impression that the Rams escaped big time with that situation & the very big cap $$$ saved to boot. Was Jake Long going to start @ OLT for us? I thought that Jake was so used up & broke down that he is no longer in the NFL? So who has the big Jake now where he offers so much to that team this season? How much cap space $$ did we save??? 8 million or was it more?

Can someone help me out why I am obviously stupid on this subject?

As far as to what the OL will look like I find that pretty simple in my mind...five new rookies & five young vets.

The days of well traveled old used/broke down untalented OL'ers i.e. Jake Long, Scott Wells, Davin Joseph, Wayne Hunter, Quinn Ojinnaka, Chris Williams, Shelley Smith, Rok Watkins, Barry Richardson, Jacob Bell, Jason Brown, Adam Goldberg, Kevin Hughes, Mark LeVoir, Jason Smith, Tony Wragge, Renardo Foster, Hank Fraley & Joe Barksdale.

OLT-Robinson/Battle
OLG-Saffold/Reynolds
OC-Barnes/Jones
ORG-Brown/Wichmann
ORT-Havenstein/Donnal

With OC Rhaney, OLT Williams & OLG/OC David Wang as strong Practice Squad members

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Not a bad piece actually. Nothing new but the focus was where it should be. The young OLine really is the biggest question mark in 2015. At least he didn't write about Tavon Austin.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not a bad piece actually. Nothing new but the focus was where it should be. The young OLine really is the biggest question mark in 2015. At least he didn't write about Tavon Austin.

I sure hope that his great write up on swing OT Andrew Donnal is right on Mojo! It would be truly wonderful to have two very good young talented ORT for a change I can not remember when the Rams had that situation....maybe 1999 ORT Fred Miller backed up by Ryan Tucker?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Battle will be battling (sorry) for a place in that line as well."

Chalk up another article for a national reporter who doesn't know the facts. I'm sorry you don't do your homework.

he also said - "Barrett Jones at center and Greg Robinson at left tackle are the only seemingly sure things right now".

ignore everything this man says.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
he also said - "Barrett Jones at center and Greg Robinson at left tackle are the only seemingly sure things right now".

ignore everything this man says.

I'd be surprised if Jones won the starting center job. I think it will be Barnes. And Saffold isn't a sure thing? I have a feeling this guy doesn't even know Saffold's on the team. Another brilliant writer. How can I get a job as a writer? I don't know much about teams aside from the Rams, but apparently that isn't necessary. My qualifications are just as good as most these guys I see writing articles about the Rams.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
More Sizzling Intelligence from SI! ( oops! should have used Blue Font!) :shades: