Obo Okoronkwo shows his ‘relentless’ side in Rams’ win over Bengals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Obo Okoronkwo shows his ‘relentless’ side in Rams’ win over Bengals

Rams linebacker Obo Okoronkwo (45) played a big role in the team’s victory over the Cincinnati Bengals in London on Sunday.

Rams linebacker Obo Okoronkwo played a big role in the team’s victory over the Cincinnati Bengals in London on Sunday.
(Getty Images)

By Gary KleinStaff Writer

Oct. 28, 2019

Injuries sidelined linebacker Obo Okoronkwo for nearly all of his rookie season in 2018, and the addition of high-profile edge rushers kept him down on the Rams depth chart.

Okoronkwo finally broke through Sunday in the Rams’ 24-10 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals at Wembley Stadium.
The former Oklahoma standout had 1 ½ of the Rams’ five sacks.

“He’s just relentless,” defensive tackle Aaron Donald said. “He’s a fast guy and gets off the edge with speed. He’s relentless on stunts and he’s going 100 miles per hour.

“That’s how he goes at practice and that’s how you do it in a game. It paid big for him.”

The Rams selected Okoronkwo in the fifth-round of the 2018 draft. He suffered a foot injury during offseason workouts and spent much of the season on the physically unable to perform list while rehabilitating from surgery. He was added to the roster in November but was not active for any games.

Oct. 27, 2019
During this offseason and training camp, Okoronkwo was slowed by hamstring problems. He flashed his skills in a few preseason games, but veteran edge rusher Clay Matthews, Dante Fowler and Samson Ebukam rotated snaps when the regular season began. There was little opportunity for playing time.Matthews, however, suffered a broken jaw against the Seattle Seahawks on Oct. 3. Ebukam moved into a starting role, creating opportunity for Okoronkwo.

Sunday’s output, he said, came about with inspiration from talented teammates.
“I got to rush with some of the best pass rushers I’ve watched,” he said. “Being down there with them definitely slows the game down and makes it a lot more fun.”Okoronkwo is “an ascending player,” coach Sean McVay said.
“We’re looking forward to see him continue to grow.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Defense should be getting Matthews back for the next game. Oko is looking like an impact addition. Fowler has been absolutely balling his @$$ off. And Ebu in spite of the flak he gets always plays hard whistle to whistle and as a depth player is excellent (Ebu tbh is one of my favorite players on this roster).

I'm looking forward to these guys rotating and staying fresh so they can go 100% snap to snap. Imagine if they can get this damn secondary rolling...

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Really happy to see this, especially considering we are very likely losing Fowler in the off-season. Would like to see what Jachai Polite can do as well.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
Looks like one reason Obo dropped in the draft was that he is "TOO AGRESSIVE". I think they makes some coaches apprehensive, because they want these LB/DE to be able to play the run equally as well as the pass.

Watching his speed and quickness, reminds me a bit of Leonard Little.

I think when the smoke clears, Obo may be a consistent 10+ sack guy.

Still think Ebukam has impact player potential too - think the game is just moving a little fast for him still.

Ram65

Legend
I want to see more of Obo. He is disruptive flying around on the pass rush. He has the speed and quickness but, I don't know about the power to push an OT. If not, he still can be a big asset as a rotating rush LBer. I have to check out his coverage skills. I think I saw him covering a back closely. He adds much need depth to keep the pass rush fresh. Fowler, Ebu, Obo and Mathews make a nice rotation.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'll admit, I didn't think he would make the final cut being off the field for so long with injuries. But he stuck it out and we mighta found another day 3 gem with him. IIRC, the day they called him to tell him he was drafted he got very emotional. I remember McVay handing the phone to Snead and said "He's crying". Pretty touching moment. Right there I was pulling for the kid.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The Obo and Samson combo could be the Ram's version of the Nigerian nightmare off the edge. Obo really flashes when it comes to rushing the passer while Samson is very good against the run.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I love Obo. I thought he was the steal of the draft. He’s not just a speed rusher though and has an arsenal of pass rush moves. His run game support could use some work but his ability to get after the QB is top 3 on the team already.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The 6-2 260 lb OO #45 does not bring a full package of skills abilities to replace Dante Fowler @ OLB'er. Don't let that comment pop your Okoronkwo balloon party. I believe Wade see's a prized specialized pass rusher in #45. I see a player that (as time passes) will end up playing both @ the DE 5 tech post that Brocker's plays & OLB'er post that Fowler plays. Rare!

#45 is best crashing in from the left side edge post to attack the right side OL. He simply is unstoppable. The main plan is to utilize OO in all kinds of pass rushing schemes in the DL & OLB'er. I could project that OO spends more time in the 5 tech than OLB'er on passing downs.Just too quick & fast for most OG to block.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
The 6-2 260 lb OO #45 does not bring a full package of skills abilities to replace Dante Fowler @ OLB'er. Don't let that comment pop your Okoronkwo balloon party. I believe Wade see's a prized specialized pass rusher in #45. I see a player that (as time passes) will end up playing both @ the DE 5 tech post that Brocker's plays & OLB'er post that Fowler plays. Rare!

#45 is best crashing in from the left side edge post to attack the right side OL. He simply is unstoppable. The main plan is to utilize OO in all kinds of pass rushing schemes in the DL & OLB'er. I could project that OO spends more time in the 5 tech than OLB'er on passing downs.Just too quick & fast for most OG to block.

With all due respect, I disagree.

I shouted hard for Obo prior to the draft because he can set the edge and drop into space. He is a complete player and will, I hope, develop into +starter - one capable of pro-bowl appearances . He takes to coaching, as evident in his solid technique. He has everything you look for in a 3-4 pass-rushing outside linebacker, he just needs more experience

OLBs went from a weakness to a strength in a hurry, heh. Snead and McVay are no joke, when it comes to talent evaluation and making moves

Last edited:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Definitely showed some flashes this game, he's come a long way from that injury during his rookie year. Hope he pans out better than JFM, and he was waived his 2nd year.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
And Ebu in spite of the flak he gets always plays hard whistle to whistle and as a depth player is excellent (Ebu tbh is one of my favorite players on this roster).

Amen brother. I don't know why he is always bad-mouthed here.
You and I are seeing the same guy.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I'll admit, I didn't think he would make the final cut being off the field for so long with injuries. But he stuck it out and we mighta found another day 3 gem with him. IIRC, the day they called him to tell him he was drafted he got very emotional. I remember McVay handing the phone to Snead and said "He's crying". Pretty touching moment. Right there I was pulling for the kid.
That was John Kelly. If Obo was crying it was bc he went in the fifth round and not first or second.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'll hold my judgement until he plays a couple of complete games. He looked alright last game but i need to see more.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Amen brother. I don't know why he is always bad-mouthed here.
You and I are seeing the same guy.

I think it's mostly him being a split second short of sacking a QB. I think he's a good overall linebacker so far and some fans just have the unrealistic expectation him getting Aldon Smith-like production in sacks.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would love to see Fowler and Obo on the outside with Matthews sliding inside. I also think if he keeps playing like this Obo is making it very easy to not sign Fowler next year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Would love to see Fowler and Obo on the outside with Matthews sliding inside. I also think if he keeps playing like this Obo is making it very easy to not sign Fowler next year.
I think that will be the look we see in the playoffs if we get in, certainly on non-passing downs. And assuming Obo keeps pushing and improving which I believe he will.

Maybe even before the playoffs in our divisional games where we need wins too I suppose. But I do want Matthews fresh in the playoffs because that dude can flat take over games. He still has that level of ability.

Psycho_X

Legend
I’m all in on the Obo hype train. That kids relentlessness and his long arms just screams pass pass rush stud. Get Mathews back we should be able to have a huge array of pass rushers at Wades disposal. If we could just get our offense on track in the first half for a change so that teams have to abandon the run we could eat any QB for breakfast.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With all due respect, I disagree.

I shouted hard for Obo prior to the draft because he can set the edge and drop into space. He is a complete player and will, I hope, develop into +starter - one capable of pro-bowl appearances . He takes to coaching, as evident in his solid technique. He has everything you look for in a 3-4 pass-rushing outside linebacker, he just needs more experience

OLBs went from a weakness to a strength in a hurry, heh. Snead and McVay are no joke, when it comes to talent evaluation and making moves
How much have we seen #45 in coverage from the OLB'er post @ the NFL level? This is something that a full starter @ this position must be able to do. I have not seen it yet but I will be paying more attention about his reverse gear & his coverage skills in the future.

I should also say that it also would not keep him from getting more defensive snaps close to that of a starter in the 80% range. I am just so excited about his fast quick step & fast forward short burst & bend that why would you have him not using that gear as often as you can.

I see #45 being used @ the OLB'er post on run downs & then moving inside to play the 5 tech post or the 3 tech post on probable passing downs in the base 3-4-4 defense.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
With the emergence of Obo, and the return of Mathews it allows the Rams to return Ebukam to his normal SAM LB role which he has become very good at. People who are critical of Ebukam simply do not understand the difference between a situational pass rusher like Obo and Mathews and a SAM. Obo has a long way to go and can't simply win with only a bull rush. He must develop his technique and counters to be really successful.

Samson is relentless, and has become a true impact player from his position.