Nick Wagoner Mailbag

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Nick Wagoner Mailbag

Joseph Devito, New York
12:23 PM CT
Nick, in light of the Giants Packers game, I now think that OLT is more important than the WR. The Packers have a slew of Wr's but Rodgers couldn't get the ball off. Both Blackmon and Kalill are no brainers but i think we should go Kalill. And look for Poe a huge DT to plug the middle in the second round. This way we are building both sides of the line. What do you think?

WAGONER:
Like I've said, if you think Kalil is a can't miss guy and rated much higher than Blackmon, that's solid choice. But otherwise, I'm sticking to playmakers. The Packers have some great ones that make Rodgers a lot better.

Gateway Rich, St Louis, MO
12:27 PM CT
Nick: Since the wide receiver position is a position of need for the Rams there has been a lot of discussion regarding Justin Blackmon. If the Rams pass on Blackmon what are your thoughts on Mohammed Sanu? Thanks!

WAGONER:
Haven't had much of a chance to dig into draft prospects beyond the top guys yet.

John, Maryland
12:28 PM CT
Hey Nick, Jeff Fisher is known for his tough run game, which will please SJ, but do you think he will commit to the passing game since that is where we are trying to build? We need to push the ball down field and score some sorely missed points. Thanks as always.

WAGONER:
I think it's a fair question, one that will probably be asked. My guess is Jeff Fisher will adapt to what is in place but also keep in mind which direction the league is headed.

Pam , Boise
12:29 PM CT
What will be the biggest difference for Jeff Fisher between the Titan's and the Rams. From having his own administration to coaching aspects. Thanks and have a nice day!

WAGONER:
That remains to be seen. But I think it's safe to say he'll have a lot of say in most of the football operations, including roster building.

fred, boise
12:30 PM CT
hey nick big changes! who are the best candidates for the two coordinators that would work with fisher? will fisher run the defense with help from that coordinator?

WAGONER:
Fisher is more of a CEO type so he'll have say in both sides of the ball.

Nathan, Gibson City, Il
12:31 PM CT
Thanks Nick, I was wanting to know which direction you think we need to go in the draft based on our top three biggest needs. Do you think Fisher could help our offensive line? What kind of feedback have you been hearing since we hired Fisher? Thanks!

WAGONER:
I've said and will continue to say play makers. That's the biggest need. The feedback is good, I think the consensus is that he was the best coach available. Anytime you land that, you have to be pleased.

jim, indianapolis
12:33 PM CT
I don't know if this question is premature or not. When do you think the Rams need to draft our RB of the future. Nothing against Jackson of course but the day will come.

WAGONER:
Not premature at all. Probably sooner than later. I think Jackson still has some good years left in him but getting that guy now can't hurt and it would probably even help lengthen Jackson's career a bit.

Will, St louis
12:34 PM CT
Is the Jeff Fisher Introduction conference open to the public? If so where is it at?

WAGONER:
No, it is not. But it will be broadcast live right here on stlouisrams.com.

ed, Honolulu
12:36 PM CT
Hi Nick,Now that Jeff Fisher the head coach do you see alot of shake up on the Rams roster

WAGONER:
I'd say that's normal when you bring in a new head coach. Also, when you're 2-14. A fair amount of roster turnover is likely.

Don Riley , New Jersey
12:39 PM CT
My question is about Referee Bill Leavy. The ref who did the infamous Super Bowl with Pitt and Seattle. His call in the Giants - Packers playoff game, Sunday. Where he went "under the hood". And he was very possibly the only person in American who saw that play as "not being a fumble". I'm referriing to a Packers fumble which was recovered by The Giants (that was eventually not ruled a fumble on his decision) I haven't heard one person agree with his call there. I mean when a referee goes "under the hood" and totally misses a call like that in a Playoff game. Doesn't that hurt the entire league ?

WAGONER:
Baffling. I don't have an answer for it.

White Buffalo, Ripon, CA
12:39 PM CT
Nick looks like we got Williams from the Saints, thats nice to have DC that has experience in the NFL. How have his defenses been rated over the years. Thanks

WAGONER:
He's known for his aggressive blitz schemes but those schemes are much more successful when he has talented D linemen like he did in Tennessee. He didn't have much pass rush in New Orleans so he had to try to generate it with blitzes more often. He should have a lot of success with that in STL considering Long, Quinn and Hall's ability to bring it off the edge.

Justin, Joplin, MO
12:40 PM CT
Hey Nick will Fisher talk about the GM position today? Who are the leading candidates for this position, I have heard Dawson from Tennessee name but I was wondering about Vermiel or Faulk? I would love for either one to be in our front office.

WAGONER:
The list of candidates I have reported are the ones in the running. Marshall Faulk and Dick Vermeil are not among those. Lake Dawson is certainly in the mix as is Les Snead from Atlanta, among others. I'd expect some movement on this as the week goes on.

Gateway Rich, St Louis, MO
12:41 PM CT
Nick: Interesting times at Rams Park! My question is about potential running backs in the upcoming draft. What are your thoughts on Chris Polk (Washington) and Isaiah Pead (Cincinnati) as possible backups to SJ? Thanks!

WAGONER:
Again, haven't had time to delve that far into it yet. I'll be at the Senior Bowl next week and attempt to get a handle on some prospects.

Brian, Ithaca, NY
12:42 PM CT
Hi Nick, Been a while have, I've had nothin positive to say, but great hire in Fisher, has all the feedback from pla¥ers been positive? I read a quote from Brandon Lloyd that seemed pretty pro-Fisher. Seems like the same guys who seemed to be behind Spags, are real happy to have Fisher, great job by Kronke.

WAGONER:
Best I can tell, the players are excited by the move.

john , albuquerque
12:43 PM CT
Dear Nick - I address you as he who no doubt sets the standard for language and high level communication in the organization. The following words and phrases should be extracted from the Rams' vocabulary and lexicon: hopefully, sort of, and kind of. Winning football teams are nothing if not assertive. Teach the Ram staff how to talk like it.

WAGONER:
Duly noted, John.

Mark Townsend, Brookings Or.
12:43 PM CT
I think the Rams have alot of needs at this time. The Rams need a young running back, Offensive Line help, play making Wide Receiver and Defensive Back help. What do you think the Rams are going to do with their draft pick. Do you see them trading out of this pick and getting more picks or do you see them staying and looking at Free Agents to fill the glaring holes.

WAGONER:
Ideally, a nice trade haul AND getting a top play maker.

Jack Fenton, Windsor, Canada
12:44 PM CT
Hey Nick, any chance we can get Fisher in here for a chat, or Schottenheimer too? Thanks

WAGONER:
Definitely something I'll be working on in the coming weeks.

Mike Sandulak, Phoenix, Az.
12:45 PM CT
Hey Nick, I had a couple of questions regarding the upcoming 2012 NFL Draft. In the second round I have seen the Rams having the #1 pick (33rd overall) and the Colts having the #2 pick (34th overall)? Also I read somewhere that we have a another pick in the second round? Can you please confirm our draft order after the first round? Thank you and GO RAMS!!

WAGONER:
The Rams and Colts had the same record. Indy got the first pick via tiebreaker but the league "makes it up" by having the teams alternate picks the rest of the way. So the Rams have the second pick in the first round and the first pick in second round, etc. The Rams do NOT have an extra pick in round 2.

White Buffalo, Ripon, CA
12:46 PM CT
Nick, well RG3 declared you were right I was worried he would change his mind. Who do you think might trade up with us to give us multiply picks. I am hearing Cleveland has a lot to give. Things are looking up!!!

WAGONER:
Cleveland, Washington, Miami. I'd be hesitant to trade too far down below No. 4 and Cleveland, maybe No. 6 and the Redskins.

Robert, Highlands Ranch, CO
12:46 PM CT
Hey Nick, Going on our third coach (not including interims) since Martz left, what is the mood around the facility with both players and staffers with Fischer and his regime starting to take shape?

WAGONER:
Believe me, the previous regime under Spagnuolo and Devaney was loved and respected in this building. That said, everyone here is excited for a new opportunity and a new beginning.

Robert, Highlands Ranch, CO
12:48 PM CT
Hey Nick, Now that our coaching staff is starting to take shape do you suppose the likelihood of Lloyd re-signing is starting to go up? Good to hear SJax state he thinks resigning Lloyd is critical for next year!

WAGONER:
Still think it's unlikely that he's back but nothing is out of the question.

Cotton, Mississippi
12:49 PM CT
Has Fisher said yes to the Rams yet?

WAGONER:
Signed his contract this morning.

Jacob, CA
12:49 PM CT
Hello NIck, Glad that we have a future hall of fame coach as our head coach. No dis respect to spags.But he just did not have " IT". But he did put some good people and players on the feild for the Rams. Is Fisher going to pick his coaches and players? How much power does he have? 1/14/12 Thanks Nick

WAGONER:
He will pick his coaching staff and he will have a lot of say in the roster, yes.

Tim, So-Cal
12:50 PM CT
Nick: It is gratifying to see that Jeff Fisher agreed to join the Rams as a head coach. WHat are you hearing regarding ocahces names he wants to bring on board as coordinators and assistants? I feel that these are the coaches that can improve the team and give the team depth.

WAGONER:
Gregg Williams is very likely as is Dave McGinnis. Beyond that, let's wait and see.

jason, breese,illinois
12:50 PM CT
Hey Nick, How much cap space will the rams have this offseason to sign FA's and re-sign their own FA's? Also I am excited to see Fisher in the STL! The 2012-2013 season should be fun.

WAGONER:
As of right now, it's likely to be around $12-13 million but there are some moves that can be made that would bump that closer to $20 million.

Russ , in Phoenix
3:05 PM CT
Hey Nick! According to the NFL Draft Value Chart, the Rams #2 pick overall is worth 2600 points. Cleveland's #4 pick is worth 1800 points and coincidentally, the #22 Pick overall(Cleveland's from Atlanta) is worth 780. So according to the Value Chart, the cleanest draft pick trade would be Rams #2 pick for Cleveland's two 1st rounders (#s 4, 22). Sounds like a great deal to me... Your thoughts?

WAGONER:
Makes sense to me though I think the draft value chart is a bit outdated and the need for top QB's could be great enough that the pick could net more in return.

Don Riley , New Jersey
3:06 PM CT
Nick, would you call the Harvey Dahl pickup a 100 per cent success. He seemed to show leadership and also the ability to be resilient throughout the year.

WAGONER:
Yep, he was reliable, consistent and durable.

JJ, Brooklyn
3:06 PM CT
Hey Nick i thought greg williams was strictly a 4-3 coach but vs san fran i saw some 3-4 setups are we going to go back to a mixed package like under haslett? In my opinion that set up back specifically drafting a 3-4 guy like carriker

WAGONER:
He's a 4-3 guy and will stay one in STL but lots of coordinators mix fronts now a days.

Jack Fenton, Windsor, Canada
3:07 PM CT
Nick whatya think about this? The Rams draft Matt Kalil, slide Saffold over to LG to replace Bell and we plug Kalil in at LT and keep Smith at RT, Dahl at RG and Brown at C. I think our line would be dominant this way. And we can make a big push for a star receiver in FA. Thoughts? Thanks

WAGONER:
In your scenario, I like Saffold at RT and Smith at LG better.

shay Guidry, Arizona
3:08 PM CT
I think Alshon Jeffery would set a wild fire to the Rams offence, do you think Rams should get a reciever in the draft?

WAGONER:
I'm in favor of playmakers, yes.

Zach, Iowa
3:08 PM CT
How can the Colts hire a GM before the draft and we can't

WAGONER:
We can. Those rules have changed. I apologize for the error last week. The Rams can indeed hire a GM and have him in place before the draft.