Nick Scott went from special teams contributor to reliable playmaker in Rams' secondary | Free Agent Spotlight

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Over four seasons, Nick Scott went from special teams contributor to reliable playmaker in Rams' secondary | Free Agent Spotlight​

For someone who was a seventh-round pick in 2019 and initially pegged as a special teams contributor, safety Nick Scott far exceeded expectations.

He became an important special teamer in his first two seasons, and when he got his chance to see playing time on defense in his third, he flourished and turned that into a starting role in his fourth season. Those third and fourth years saw lots of memorable plays, from interceptions to the big hit in the NFC Championship game during the Rams' Super Bowl LVI-winning playoff run.

Now, Scott is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent when the new league year begins on March 15.

So what are the options for Scott and the Rams?

Los Angeles could opt to re-sign Scott, whose durability was evident playing in 64 of 66 possible regular season games over his first four NFL seasons. His experience and familiarity in the system, not to mention that playmaking – see four interceptions and seven pass breakups over his previous two seasons – would benefit the secondary.

If L.A. and Scott decide to go in different directions, the Rams could turn to either Russ Yeast or Quentin Lake as a replacement. Lake was drafted in the sixth round in 2022, Yeast the seventh, and both gradually saw more playing time and gained more experience during the second half of their rookie seasons. As is the case with any player, the Rams could also explore finding that replacement via the draft.

oldnotdead

Legend
I could see as a rookie Scott had the traits you look for in a starting DB. He could have played either CB or FS. He was a blank slate in that regard as he came in painfully raw. The Rams would be foolish to allow a player they developed into a quality FS walk. He hasn't reached his full potential yet.

I see them extending him for 4 years.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Scott made some great plays for the Rams but he also made some big mistakes. I remember several times when he got burned by coming up to the line and letting receivers get behind him (see super bowl). I would bet the Rams would like to keep him but only at a very reasonable price. So my guess is that Snead will tell him to go out and test the free agent market and hope he gives the Rams the opportunity to match it. Not sure the Rams have anyone to take his place though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Spotrac doesn’t have a valuation, but OtC does.

This seems too rich for our cap situation.

A8F21DE4-EBE0-41BD-9B67-43379D35EE95.png

Ram65

Legend
Scott made some great plays for the Rams but he also made some big mistakes. I remember several times when he got burned by coming up to the line and letting receivers get behind him (see super bowl). I would bet the Rams would like to keep him but only at a very reasonable price. So my guess is that Snead will tell him to go out and test the free agent market and hope he gives the Rams the opportunity to match it. Not sure the Rams have anyone to take his place though.
+1

It's the big hits that get everyone's attention. I'm not sold on Scott.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Scott has exceptional speed for a FS (4.3) giving him excellent range.
He's definitely one I hope they retain. And he should be affordable. In fact, he may be the only one (Scott, Gaines, A'Shawn) who we can afford to retain.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
If they let him walk, is this another Rodney McLeod situation?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If they let him walk, is this another Rodney McLeod situation?

What do you mean by that? I’m sure The Rams will get their comp picks. They should receive 4 this season (year). Did Rodney play all that well ? JJ43 would be more like it ? Then again I think Scott is just coming into his own & is a Ascending player The Rams should keep.

IMO Nick Scott means a lot to The NFL & The Rams for his character alone.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
What do you mean by that? I’m sure The Rams will get their comp picks. They should receive 4 this season (year). Did Rodney play all that well ? JJ43 would be more like it ? Then again I think Scott is just coming into his own & is a Ascending player The Rams should keep.

IMO Nick Scott means a lot to The NFL & The Rams for his character alone.
I think we took Rodney for granted, he left to Philly on a reasonable deal and instantly became a leader and great player for them

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think we took Rodney for granted, he left to Philly on a reasonable deal and instantly became a leader and great player for them
Yeah - JJ43 was ready to go. When did The Rams draft Taylor Rapp?
Was it J. Joyner who took his place & The Rams got a comp pick for him.
My guess was Mcvay came in & Mccliud was on his way out? The fact Tru Johnson got franchised TWICE & Joyner ONCE just shows how far The Rams have come & that at least the there drafting depth.
Rodney was a just another Les Snead UDRFA find like Corey Littleton or even Malcom Brown who is still a Ram today.