NFL wants $16.6 million for M.I.A.’s middle finger

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
NFL wants $16.6 million for M.I.A.’s middle finger
Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2014

cash1.jpg

Pro football knows how to play hardball.

The NFL has opted to apply the screws to M.I.A., who made a guest appearance during the halftime show of Super Bowl XLVI in Indianapolis — and who fired off an unscripted middle finger to someone/anyone/everyone/no one.

In 2012, the league filed an arbitration claim against M.I.A., seeking payment for the $1.5 million specified in the contract for failure to adhere to certain performance standards.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the NFL now wants more. A lot more.

Above and beyond the $1.5 million, the league wants another $15.1 million as restitution for the value of the exposure she received during the two-minute appearance on the most-watched TV show of the year.

The opposition to the effort to push the total liability to $16.6 million accuses the NFL of bullying M.I.A. and making an example of her for “daring to challenge” the league. Her lawyer also points out that past Super Bowl halftime acts have included inappropriate behavior, from Michael Jackson grabbing his crotch in 1993 to Prince “caressing the neck of his stylized trademark guitar . . . as if stroking an erect oversized phallus” in 1997.

M.I.A. also fires a shot at NBC for failing to activate the “5-second delay” system. PFT partners with NBC and I separately work for NBC, so what I say next could be biased. But the argument seems like a bogus way of shifting responsibility away from M.I.A.’s conduct. No one forced her to fire off a middle finger during the performance, and NBC had no reason to believe she would do something like that, especially after signing a contract requiring her to pay $1.5 million if she did something like that.

Still, it appears the NFL is overreaching when trying to get an extra $15.1 million from M.I.A. If the consequences of misbehavior will be restitution for the value of the exposure, that’s what should have been in the contract.

In matters of litigation and arbitration, it’s a common tactic to load the cannon with as many arguments seeking as much money as possible. Asking only for $1.5 million makes $1.5 million the 100-cents-on-a-dollar recovery. Asking for $16.6 million makes $1.5 million feel more like a middle ground outcome for a misguided middle finger.

PHOTOS: 11 Outrageous Super Bowl Halftime Moments

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm OK with this. She violated the contract and got gobs of publicity while doing so and cashing the check.

There should be consequences for shitty behavior.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The NFL and it's army of attorneys is a very formidable opponent.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The NFL and it's army of attorneys is a very formidable opponent.

And the free publicity she received for violating her contract made her more famous than she ever would have. Nobody in this thread even knew who she was LOL.

If I was the NFL I would do the same. You cannot come to my halftime show, broadcast to zillions, get the shit ton of awesome free publicity and have your songs sell because of it.......and then behave in a way you said you wouldn't. Sorry, you're going to get your ass kicked over it. They learned their lesson from the wardrobe malfunction and from a female nobody entertainer quickly flipping the bird to the camera a few years ago and they put language in the contracts to prevent it. If they don't enforce it they wold be foolish IMO.

She should pay something for this, she shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. You can't flip off the cameras, period. I don't care if its the SB, the NBA Finals, Oprah or whatever. There are standards and if you break them you should pay the piper.

EDIT
This is the one I saw a couple of years ago. I hope the NFL squashes her like a bug. She did this deliberately and deserves the hammer:

For the past two years, the sports behemoth has been going after M.I.A. for flipping the world the bird and mouthing "I don't give a shit" during her guest appearance in Madonna's Super Bowl XLVI halftime show.

Sorry honey, you effed up, now its time to pay up. I recall this, she leaned into the camera to do this.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I agree, but seriously, what were they thinking would happen with Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Prince and now mia?

Unfortunately all publicity is good publicity, even for the NFL in this sad day and age.

RustyRay

Rookie
M.I.A is a fitting name for her...Ill admit I am no rap fan...But I had no idea who she was when she did that and I had completely forgotten about her since, as it appears most people have outside of the NFL....good luck fighting that monster.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
In the days after this happened I was actually surprised the FCC didn't go after her. I didn't know who she was either Ray but that is a genre I ignore since it has no talent to speak of. But this made her way more famous than she ever would have been and it was planned and deliberate. Now she should pay the price. She made a ton of money from people downloading her "songs" after this happened.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like a drillbit in my brain but then that's what my dad told me when the Beatles first came out. What goes around comes around I guess, lol. Did John Lennon ever flip anyone off? I'm pretty sure he did but had he done it at the Super Bowl he would have gotten sued as well.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
That voice reminds me of The Chipmunks...

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
It doesn't take much talent to be famous these days does it......

MTV told us the future with their first offering....Video Killed the Radio Star.
Well said, my friend, well said.