NFL to consider more protections for option quarterbacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...der-more-protections-for-option-quarterbacks/
PFT

Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2014

Before Week One of the 2013 regular season, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh successfully applied the Jedi Mind Trick to the Packers, complaining publicly about hits applied to running quarterbacks after handing the ball off on a read-option play — and then dialing up pass after pass from Colin Kaepernick as part of a 412-yard day.

At the time, NFL V.P. of officiating made the league’s position clear. “He is still treated as a runner until he is clearly out of the play,” Dean Blandino said. “The quarterback makes the pitch, he’s still a runner — he can be hit like a runner until he’s clearly out of the play.”

Now that the 2013 season has ended, the NFL is exploring the question of whether more protection should be applied to quarterbacks who have relinquished the ball to a tailback.

“There have been discussions on if the quarterback should get more protection on option plays,” an unnamed source familiar with the league’s discussions recently told Mark Maske of the Washington Post.

Discussions may not translate into action; “I’m not sure if you’ll see anything happen there,” the source added.

Quarterbacks can’t have it both ways. By pretending to still have the ball, the quarterback makes himself live bait. The goal is to draw the defense away from the guy who actually has possession, and one of the risks is that it will work too well.

That mindset applies regardless of whether the quarterback pretends he still has the ball and runs the other way or, as Brett Favre used to do, executes a goofy, empty-handed jump pass. In those cases, the offense can’t embrace the benefit of pulling off a fake without accepting the risk that the defense may fall for it a bit too thoroughly.

I've got a way to protect option QBs, any QB rush is counted as a 0 yard gain, problem solved, otherwise stop bitching, you know the risks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
NOOOOOOO! That would give them an unfair advantage to two of the coaches that would, most likely, like to exploit the rules every chance they get.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
There is no purpose in changing rules to accommodate the sudden popularity of read-option QBs. They didn't do it for Vick; why should they do it now? The only reason I can come up with is concern over RGme's durability, and Harbaugh's whining over possible hits to his QB. This just reeks of special interest.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I can't see a rule change to make two or three guys in the NFL more comfortable.

If they do this they would have to also consider pocket passers not hittable after play action.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eff no. They don't deserve protection. If you're going to act like a HB, you deserve to get hit like one.

tonyl711

Starter
cant see this happening, they have already water down football way too much, I started watching football in the early 70s every play they ran back then without any penalties would have at least 3 or 4 penalties by todays rules. whats next red jerseys for QBs in games?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Screw that...

You run, you don't get down, YOU DIE!!! Slide rule is more than enough.

tonyl711

Starter
Screw that...

You run, you don't get down, YOU DIE!!! Slide rule is more than enough.
slide rule is BS too. the only time you should get penalized for hitting a QB is if you hit him after throws the ball or helmet to helmet.

fearsomefour

Legend
We will have to wait to see what ESPN thinks is important.
I hate what the NFL is becoming.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
"Quarterbacks can’t have it both ways. By pretending to still have the ball, the quarterback makes himself live bait. The goal is to draw the defense away from the guy who actually has possession, and one of the risks is that it will work too well."

That for me is the essence of why this can never be introduced. It would create a ridiculously unfair advantage. You cant play real defense as it is anymore in the NFL anyway... Defenceless receiver?? WTF? Really??

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
If coaches are truly worried about the safety of their QB they can not put their QB in harms way. There is a reason why the read option isnt used by more teams, and its not just because only a few QBs have the skillset to run it. The main reason it isnt used more widely is because their are only a few coaches that believe their QB isnt an important part of winning.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
GMs need to recruit the best computer gamers in the world and the NFL can become the Madden League were games are only played on a computer screen and then nobody can get hurt.