NFC West Q&A: Are the Rams viewed as a real contender?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
NFC West Q&A: Are the Rams viewed as a real contender?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...st-qa-are-the-rams-viewed-as-a-real-contender

Today's question: St. Louis is the only NFC West team that hasn't reached the playoffs at least once in the past two seasons. Are the Rams viewed as a real contender in the division or just more of a nuisance capable of pulling off a surprise victory?

Josh Weinfuss, Arizona Cardinals: Cardinals coach Bruce Arians made his stance on the Rams clear after beating them on Thursday Night Football last season, calling them "a team that is always 8-8." Defensively, I think the Rams are considered contenders, especially with that potent defensive line. Offensively, however, is where they become that "nuisance" that's capable of pulling off a victory. But if the offense can produce even a little, the defensive line is good enough to cause issues and win games.

Paul Gutierrez, San Francisco 49ers: More Lambs than Rams, you say? They have seemingly been up-and-coming for a few years now but have not been able to put it together consistently. And now that Los Angeles beckons, they have a built-in distraction as an excuse. Not that anyone in the division would ever go on the record to call the Rams a “nuisance” but that’s exactly what they’ve been, especially to the 49ers. They upset them in Santa Clara last year when Colin Kaepernick lost a fumble at the goal line on what would have been a winning QB sneak, one of the Rams’ mere six victories, and tied and beat them in a 7-8-1 2012 season, when the Niners were 11-4-1 and had to travel to Atlanta for the NFC title game. Either St. Louis becoming a legit contender or the team moving back to Southern California to reignite the SF-LA rivalry would elevate the Rams from nuisance, at least from the Niners' perspective.

Terry Blount, Seattle Seahawks: Probably more of the latter if the truth be told, but this Rams team will have a much different look with Nick Foles under center and Todd Gurley in the backfield. St. Louis could easily move past the 49ers, who have a ton of issues to address. I don’t see the Rams catching the Seahawks for the division title, but they have a shot at moving into the No. 2 spot ahead of the Cardinals if the Rams play up to their potential. The Rams were 6-7 last season before losing their last three games, two of which came against playoff teams Arizona and Seattle. Seven of the 10 losses came against playoff teams. It’s now or never for St. Louis, meaning do it now and move on to Los Angeles and start anew.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That "P" word again (potential)..

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Respect just won't come easy for the Rams until they make a real splash... it's OK.. makes it that much more satisfying when they do (make their splash)...

They will make their splash, right?

Please God... let there be a splash!!!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
As much as I hate reading stuff that doesn't give us much respect it's hard to argue. Until we earn it and stop talking about potential that's all it is.

I think we will be really good this year but it's time to prove it.
Starts week 1!

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I'm just fine with the idea of the Rams coming out of nowhere to shock a bunch of people. If we go 4-1 or even 3-2 with a couple of close losses to start the year, the media will be on us like flies on shit.
Personally, I think it would be great to stay unnoticed until we make the playoffs...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am going to be a hot mess come kick off for that first game.

Geez... it's what? 2 months away and I'm already feeling anxious!

Sooo much riding on that game... if they can walk away victors, what a great start to the season!!

Want respect? That'll get you started in the right direction!

Imagine the media reports...
"Rams may finally have it right!!"
"Watch out NFC West, these Rams might be for real!"

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally, I think it would be great to stay unnoticed until we make the playoffs...

I think you mean "Win the Super Bowl." And that, after having the best regular season record in the NFL, and win their NFC playoff games 52-0 each, each time being up 49-0 and then Greg the Leg kicks a 70 yarder as time runs out - just because - while analysts keep predicting the Rams will turn back into pumpkins in increasingly hysterical tones.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Paul Gutierrez, San Francisco 49ers: More Lambs than Rams, you say? They have seemingly been up-and-coming for a few years now but have not been able to put it together consistently. And now that Los Angeles beckons, they have a built-in distraction as an excuse. Not that anyone in the division would ever go on the record to call the Rams a “nuisance” but that’s exactly what they’ve been, especially to the 49ers. They upset them in Santa Clara last year when Colin Kaepernick lost a fumble at the goal line on what would have been a winning QB sneak, one of the Rams’ mere six victories, and tied and beat them in a 7-8-1 2012 season, when the Niners were 11-4-1 and had to travel to Atlanta for the NFC title game. Either St. Louis becoming a legit contender or the team moving back to Southern California to reignite the SF-LA rivalry would elevate the Rams from nuisance, at least from the Niners' perspective.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Is it just me, or does the Whiners writer come across as an absolute asshole in his part?

Not that it's in anyway surprising, just he seems to be ripping into the Rams rather than analysing and doing his job...

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Is it just me, or does the Whiners writer come across as an absolute arsehole in his part?

Not that it's in anyway surprising, just he seems to be ripping into the Rams rather than analysing and doing his job...

Hes trying to deflect the readers attention away from the trainwreck, I mean whiners.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's the head in the sand ignore what's wrong with my house lets look at somebody else's house instead. Personally the Cardinals guy and the Arians quote is all the fuel I would need to go out and win this division. The coach of a team with 200 more losses than wins historically really shouldn't be calling somebody else out for being mediocre.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is going to be a monster season for our RAMS! Can you feel it?????? We will be there in force for the opener and we will accept nothing less than VICTORY!!!!!!:coach::lifting:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Seems like none of them consider the Rams a contender. I guess I can't argue with that. They've been stuck with the "potential" moniker for quite a while and haven't realized any of that potential yet. We're not going to be a contender until we are. When will that be? I don't know. Maybe this year, maybe not.