New Rams Identity

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
With the addition of new players and the relative uncertainty of how they would effect the schemes that were carried over from last year, Ram fans have been eagerly awaiting the New Identity that the offseason promised. After two real games in 2013 and 16 in 2012, it's very clear what this team is.

Offensively, this team is built to pass block effectively. Sam will be protected. Unfortunately, the same line is not built for a power running game. With youngsters at the skill positions, there will be big plays both positive and negative. Much has been said about the improvement in scoring, but that discounts the pick sixes that certainly haven't helped. The miscommunications and poor sight reads to adjust to blitzes will simply require time to resolve. The Rams will occasionally rip off long runs with speedsters in in the backfield but will gain in the last third of the league in rushing overall.

Defensively, the Rams are built to compete with teams like the Hawks and 9ers who have offenses predicated on strong running games and play action passes. Once rendered one dimensional, the pass rush will make the difference. On the flip side, teams built to pass first (Patriots and Packers last year, Cards and Falcons this year, as well as the Saints later this season) are destined to expose this defense's weakness in coverage utilizing an inexperienced but talented secondary.

Special Teams will be strong in terms of kicking and covering but let's forget advancing the ball by return. It is my belief that in the miraculous event that this team gets a significant return of thirty or more yards, the refs will be so incredulous that they will spasmodically throw flags out of sheer disbelief. I'm not sure how long this curse will continue, but since it's been true since the loss of Az Hakim, so I won't believe the curse will be lifted until I see it with my own eyes. Tavon is talented but even he can't overcome phantom and real holds and blocks in the back.

Coaching? This team will compete every week and play with a hard edge. It will also lead the league in penalties and bone-headed mistakes. There won't be many games that will leave us fans believing there is no chance of comeback. Then again, this team won't put many teams away early and keep them down. This year will be entertaining and only blind luck (long overdue) will make it a playoff team. It may only be two games, but next year certainly looks better than this and the year after that should be dominant.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I love everything about that post. I think you nailed it.

And there are no words to describe the usage of the word "spasmodically."

Well done. :plus1:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Very soft early, tough late. That's how they've been the first two weeks both sides of the ball. And we are undiciplined via penalties. A better team? Yes. Long ways to go? Looks like it...

Coaches stink week 1 and 2? YESS!!! Atccack the opponent and play to win, not sit back and play not to lose. Never thought I'd say that witn Fisher as the HC.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Good post.

My opinion on the new Rams, especially under the leadership of Sam?

Never

Say

Die

And I love it.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I'm not so sure about that "stable O-line" GreeneCounty. We just lost our RT for Bhudda knows how long.

V3

Hall of Fame
mr.stlouis said:
Very soft early, tough late. That's how they've been the first two weeks both sides of the ball. And we are undiciplined via penalties. A better team? Yes. Long ways to go? Looks like it...

Coaches stink week 1 and 2? YESS!!! Atccack the opponent and play to win, not sit back and play not to lose. Never thought I'd say that witn Fisher as the HC.

This.