My first ever game experience (long post)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So, I just got home from my first ever Rams game, my first ever NFL game. Thanks @Thordaddy @Sum1 and @tahoe for all the suggestions and tips for attending. That Metro link was the best idea ever. Couldn't imagine parking through that insanity, and then leaving with various streets being closed. @Memento I wanted to meet you, but no response?

Here's my review, and remember this is game experience, NOT talking about the game itself. There's plenty of that going on.

I sat in section 114, row J. Around the 45 yard line. Good seats. Nice mix of viewing the field and the sideline with no obstructions.

First, I want to get some of the stuff I didn't like.

-The video boards. I honestly thought they would be a bit bigger. It was hard to see what was going and making things out on the screen. I can chalk that up to me not being used to it. I would honestly prefer if they had one big board.

-The sound from the video boards was kinda staticy. Whenever they played NFL redzone highlights, it was very hard to decipher what was being said.

-The two people who sat directly to my left. Not they were too rowdy, but that was the issue. They were two grumpy folks (a husband and a wife) who barely even cracked a smile. I swear they were PD posters (in fact, I saw the guy checking the RamsStalk on his phone DURING the game). Whenever the Rams made a positive play, they didn't do anything. When they had a bad play, the guy said some smartass remark. That really pissed me off. When Josh Brown hit that field goal to give them 37 points, he incredibly as a grumpy goose said to his wife "let's go" and LEFT with 8 minutes left. Granted, a comeback was a long shot, but it boggles me that someone who paid for tickets would leave with that much time remaining. But it turned out well for me b/c I didn't have to deal with the negative vibes anymore.

-That dome gets freaking HOT with so many people in a tight, enclosed space.

Now, lets get to the things I LOVED.

-I don't ever want to hear that St. Louis fans don't support or don't care about the Rams. That is complete bullshit. Anyone that says otherwise will quickly be ignored by me. That damn dome was LOUD. People are passionate. On the play to Kenny Britt that wasn't, a guy was screaming at the top of his lungs "THERE'S BRITT!!!!! "THERE'S BRITT!!!!!!!!!". Our whole section was screaming at Shaun Hill that Tavon was wide open.

-People know their football here, it's not just a baseball town. It's a sports town. When Will Hayes got ejected, he got a standing ovation by fans near the home tunnel. Those same fans also had some chants going on.

-Crowd noise was insane. Again, it was loud. My ears were ringing at the 2 minute warning at the first half. I can only imagine what a playoff game would be like.

-Remember when there was that thing going around that ushers kept saying people to not stand up. An absolute myth. I was the first one to stand with my arms up with Tre Mason and Lance Kendricks were getting their TDs. No one said anything.

-Another myth: Dome was not empty. People need to realize that no stadium is going to fill up 100%, especially during a regular season game. The lower bowl was essentially full, with a good chunk filled in the mid and upper bowls. Considering what other stadiums have, the Rams have great support. And yes, Rams fans outnumbered the Giants fans. And it wasn't even close.

-The people behind me, in front of me, and directly to the right of me. Unlike those grumpy grumps, these guys were having the time of their lives. Making funny comments, talking to each other, and cheering their assess off.

-Fans are incredibly polite. None of the rude drunkenness or harassment that I told happens at almost every NFL game. No one harassed the Giants fans in attendance.

-Going back to fans being passionate, there were people still cheering and supporting with about 4-5 minutes left. The reaction was great when Chris Givens scored, and when the FG was blocked. People care. I can't emphasize that enough.

-Safety and security was amazing. It was hard not to think of the Ferguson situation going to and leaving the game. But there were no issues and the people on the Metro and the game itself were some of the nicest people I've ever met and talked to. Leaving the game? Easy cheesy. The security and cops were nice as well.

-That damn pro shop was a madhouse. There was a half off sale for everything in the store. So I had to stand in line just to get in the store (and to boot, there were 2 lines). Again, don't anyone ever tell me that the St. Louis fans don't support the team. People were buying things left and right. By the end of the game, lots merch had been cleared out. And after the game when the team lost? People were STILL buying. And this is despite all relocation rumors.

-I did get some gear: A nice gray hat, a throwback knit hat, and a junior Rams football. Plus, I also lucked into getting a James Laurinaitis action figure they were giving out to the first 15,000 fans. The fact that the figure has hair, just like he now has in real life made me smile.

In summary, I highly recommend people who never gone to make the trip to the Dome. It is a great experience and you'll have an even better time. Don't listen to all the negative bullshit people say with attending a game in St. Louis. It's simply not true.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Great read @Angry Ram ! I'm a West Coaster, but I had the privilege of catching a Cardinal game a few years back. I was decked out in Dodger Blue, but every one I encountered had total class. I took a lot of good-natured kidding and had a hell of a time.

It's great to hear that our Rams are getting the same type of support from a fantastic fan base.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
In summary, I highly recommend people who never gone to make the trip to the Dome. It is a great experience and you'll have an even better time. Don't listen to all the negative bullcrap people say with attending a game in St. Louis. It's simply not true.
Agreed. I didn't expect much going in, because I was never really a dome fan. But I had a really good time and the energy was off the charts. Granted, this was during the 2001 season and we beat the Panthers like 144-9, but it was still very enjoyable.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I wanted to meet, man. I was over by the '47 Brand Shop by Section 126. I was with my mom; she wanted to meet you as well. But I couldn't get onto ROD because reception was shit in the stadium, and I never saw you. Where were you going to meet?

Oh, and I sat in Section 115, row N, seat 10. I was the guy who kept screaming, "LET'S GO, DEFENSE!!!"

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
We need a sticky next year of which ROD brothers are going to the game.
I agree with a lot you say about the game experience. I hear that from more fans.

Me I'm old school, I'm there for the game only. If it was played in a cow pasture, in the rain and mud I'm good just to be part of it. But that's me.

welcome to the Ram attendee club.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
We need a sticky next year of which ROD brothers are going to the game.
I agree with a lot you say about the game experience. I hear that from more fans.

Me I'm old school, I'm there for the game only. If it was played in a cow pasture, in the rain and mud I'm good just to be part of it. But that's me.

welcome to the Ram attendee club.
This already exists on the ROD Events tab at the top of the page. Some of us used it to get together in Tampa earlier this season. I tell you, this board has everything! (y)

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
This already exists on the ROD Events tab at the top of the page. Some of us used it to get together in Tampa earlier this season. I tell you, this board has everything! (y)
Doh.
I saw the Tampa one but didn't look for other games.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Im 57 and have been going to these things each sunday since I was 12 except the years stl didn't have a team. My dad is 82 and he still goes (Chiefs) only now my brother takes him. Thanks dad for starting such a great tradition.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Wish we could have gotten the WIN for you @Angry Ram.

It's great to hear that you had an enjoyable experience. Seeing our Rams live is awesome.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Great post bro. I come out once a year from Denver and I thought pretty much the same as you. Dome wasn't full when I went but it was still loud and well represented. We all remember the GSOT days and how rocking the place was. If or should I say WHEN we get back to that the that nobody will want to come play in St. Louis and I can't wait for that.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Great post. I go to every game and have been for years, win or lose. I too don't get how people criticize the experience / fans in St. Louis. For the horrible decade of football that we have endured (better recently) - I think the dome is pretty damn full. Yes, there are some empty seats in the upper bowl, and luckily the seats right in front of us are always empty - better view! The fans get into it, we all cheer, we all stand, we all yell. We're passionate. There are great football fans in this town who love this team. A lot of us are both emotionally and financially invested, and have been for a long time. I was one of those by the Rams tunnel (section 124) who was cheering when Hayes came off the field, and got some chants going. For those that weren't there - this was the first time I can remember where there was a 'DE-FENSE' chant going and the whole stadium was doing it. Was pretty cool. Compared to most games, this one wasn't loud - in fact, a few times I think the crowd was getting let down because they kept converting on 3rd downs... and it was pretty quiet. Kind of a depressing game because Manning was just picking us apart - But it got loud when it needed to.

I can't believe how fast this season went. Seems like it just started. I'm already missing it and looking forward to next year.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wanted to meet, man. I was over by the '47 Brand Shop by Section 126. I was with my mom; she wanted to meet you as well. But I couldn't get onto ROD because reception was crap in the stadium, and I never saw you. Where were you going to meet?

Oh, and I sat in Section 115, row N, seat 10. I was the guy who kept screaming, "LET'S GO, DEFENSE!!!"

The pro shop by section 150? But that would've been a bad idea. It was insanity.

115? I think I heard you, then. I was the brown guy in a Tavon Austin jersey. I had my hat backwards with "RAMS" in big white lettering on it.

Speaking of jerseys, the most popular jerseys I saw of the current Rams players were (in order) Sam Bradford, Tavon Austin, James Laurinaitis. Another myth debunked: Rams fans don't like Sam Bradford. Just PD posters.

Ohhh I almost forgot, upon leaving the game, I met one of the Short Bus guys. They are a blast to hang with. I had to meet my parentals for dinner after the game, but yeah don't be afraid to go up to them. Awesome fans those guys are.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Great! Im happy you had a great experience! The dome isnt the best but its not the worst either. The whole Ferguson thing was overblown. And the metro is definitely the best way to get to any of the games. I hope you can make it to more games next season!

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Glad to hear the dome is still making some noise. I can only imagine what that place would be like for a playoff game.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's the video I took of the defense being introduced: