Most Haunting Songs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We are approaching the end of summer, Thank God, and a seasonal song will come across my YouTube mentions: "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," by Gordon Lightfoot. The well told/sung story of this famous sinking on Lake Superior in November has always haunted me. One of the biggest iron ore ships in the Great Lakes, the Edmund Fitzgerald sank in a serious storm only 15 miles from Whitefish bay, all 29 sailors sank with her. There were other ships with many more victims lost than this one, but they were not memorialized by song. Also, I always thought of the crew of this ship doing a blue collar job that was a little bit dangerous, but they fully expected to make it home if they did their jobs correctly. By all accounts, they did it well, being an experienced crew. The job was by no means a glamorous one, like being on the Titanic on its maiden voyage. Their families expected them to make it back, because that's what hard working blue collar types do.....but not this time. In any case, the song haunts me every time I hear it.

There's another song by Phil Collins called "In the Air Tonight." I don't know what's the truth about the meaning of the song, but the urban legend says that Collins witnessed another man drowning (or witnessed another watching another person drowning). Collins denies the legend, and says he doesn't really know what the song is about since he was enduring a divorce at the time.

Some might say "Hotel California" by the Eagles is haunting to them. Give me some of the songs that hit you where you live, and why.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Re. "In the Air Tonight"... great freaking song.

Don't know why the "drowning" rumor persists, despite Collins denying it outright. It's a metaphor (and a damn powerful one). "If you told me you were drowning...I would not lend a hand..." Cold!! That is one pissed off dude.

Pain of divorce brings up all sorts of powerful feelings of disappointment and betrayal... and this song portrays that bitter anger with a gut-punch.

Other haunting songs:
"Nothing compares 2 U" by Sienad O'Connor
"Paint a Rumor" by Eurythmics... that song scares the crap outta me (especially if I'm high):dizzy:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MuTq-r51LS4

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We are approaching the end of summer, Thank God, and a seasonal song will come across my YouTube mentions: "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," by Gordon Lightfoot. The well told/sung story of this famous sinking on Lake Superior in November has always haunted me. One of the biggest iron ore ships in the Great Lakes, the Edmund Fitzgerald sank in a serious storm only 15 miles from Whitefish bay, all 29 sailors sank with her. There were other ships with many more victims lost than this one, but they were not memorialized by song. Also, I always thought of the crew of this ship doing a blue collar job that was a little bit dangerous, but they fully expected to make it home if they did their jobs correctly. By all accounts, they did it well, being an experienced crew. The job was by no means a glamorous one, like being on the Titanic on its maiden voyage. Their families expected them to make it back, because that's what hard working blue collar types do.....but not this time. In any case, the song haunts me every time I hear it.

great song.

edit - hmmm, won't show the video.

here's a video about the tragedy from one of the best channels on youtube, fascinating horror.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
"Stan" by Eminem is another song like "In the Air Tonight" he actually references Phil's song.

"Phantom 309" by Red Sovine is another one.

"Darkness" by Eminem is another that gave me goosebumps.

"Stan" is based on a true story of a fan that is beyond obsessed with (Eminem) since they had a similar upbringing. Stan had been trying to reach out to Eminem for months only to hear nothing back. Stan goes off the deep end gets drunk and puts his pregnant girlfriend in the trunk of his car and drives them off bridge into the water where they all perish. Weeks later Eminem finally responds to Stan trying to talk some sense into him before he does something crazy only to find out he's too late.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"Stan" by Eminem is another song like "In the Air Tonight" he actually references Phil's song.

"Phantom 309" by Red Sovine is another one.

"Darkness" by Eminem is another that gave me goosebumps.

"Stan" is based on a true story of a fan that is beyond obsessed with (Eminem) since they had a similar upbringing. Stan had been trying to reach out to Eminem for months only to hear nothing back. Stan goes off the deep end gets drunk and puts his pregnant girlfriend in the trunk of his car and drives them off bridge into the water where they all perish. Weeks later Eminem finally responds to Stan trying to talk some sense into him before he does something crazy only to find out he's too late.
Wow, that's freakin' dark!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
1-800 by Logic. It's basically a song about depression, suicide, etc.

Maybe not as dark as others, but given my past, it's the most haunting song I can think of, and it never fails to make me a sobbing mess.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Fire and Rain", James Taylor. Popular live song, heartbreaking in his writing of a close friend who killed herself mired in drug addiction

Q729

Legend
People may associate the song "Sleep Walk" with 1950s coming-of-age romances. Nah, I think of plane crashes and death.