More speculation: Todd Gurley has arthritis in his knee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Not sure how a Patriots beat writer would have any scoop on Todd's knee.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Not sure how a Patriots beat writer would have any scoop on Todd's knee.

giphy.gif

Antonius

Pro Bowler
If true this is horrible. How long could Todd possibly have left? And at what level?

Raminator

UDFA
Rotoworld is also reporting it:

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports Todd Gurley has arthritis in his knee.

This explains what Gurley was dealing with throughout the playoffs. Gurley's knee wasn't 100 percent for most of 2018, but it was magnified after a setback against the Eagles in Week 15. Gurley is considering stem cell treatment this offseason to help with the arthritis. There are some career outlook concerns with Gurley's knee condition. The Rams are likely to scale back Gurley's workload in 2019.

SOURCE: Jeff Howe on Twitter
Mar 2, 2019, 8:39 AM

Ram65

Legend
Obviously, not good news if true. Rams took a big risk giving him the big extension. I figured they did an extensive physical on him especially the knee. Look at that 2020 cap hit of $17.25 Million. I feel for Todd and hope it all works out. I have no idea how much and how long he can keep playing. I guess at the very least he has to limit his playing time and maybe play with some pain. Rams need a backup plan ASAP.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/todd-gurley-16734/

upload_2019-3-2_10-49-37.png

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
By: Cameron DaSilva | 1 hour ago
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/02/nfl-rams-todd-gurley-knee-arthritis-injury/

Nearly a full month after the Super Bowl, the discussion surrounding Todd Gurley’s knee has not stopped. The latest news certainly won’t help ease any concerns about the injury either.

According to Jeff Howe of The Athletic, Gurley has arthritis in his knee.

Needless to say, this is bad news for the Rams. Arthritis isn’t something that simply goes away or gets better with time. It can’t magically be cured by surgery, either. Les Snead and Sean McVay said Gurley was dealing with wear and tear on his knee because of the heavy workload, but arthritis is a different animal.

That’s not to say Gurley will never be the same player, but he’ll probably have soreness in his knee for the remainder of his career. The Rams have access to treatment methods that most average people do not, which definitely helps, but no matter how you cut it, this is concerning for Gurley’s future.

The Rams signed him to a four-year extension worth $57.5 million ($45 million guaranteed) last offseason, locking him up through 2023. They obviously couldn’t have predicted a situation like this, but it does make their decision to sign him two years early look questionable.

If Gurley is indeed battling arthritis, it’s very possible the Rams will add a running back this offseason if they don’t re-sign C.J. Anderson. Snead mentioned that possibility, saying the Rams will look into limiting Gurley’s workload.

“With Todd, he’s had a lot of carries since he came into the league – a lot of yards, touchdowns, things like that,” Snead said. “Obviously, senior year, junior year at Georgia, he did the ACL. So over that time, there’s an element of wear and tear and I think we have to determine, are we going to give him the amount of load he’s had in the past? Or are we going to lessen that load to, let’s say, keep him fresher for the season and for seasons beyond? And then if you go that route, you have to have a good, let’s call it, Batman and Robin combination. We’re in the process of figuring that out.”

Having touched the ball more than any other player since 2015, Gurley’s workload is most likely going to shrink in some capacity next season. The shared backfield we saw in the postseason could very well be the future for the Rams.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If this is true it's bad news. Right after that big fat contract too. Ouch. Hindsight is 20-20 but that deal is going to be talked about a lot between agents and GM's during negotiations.

Stem cell treatment may help, but it doesn't always work.

This is a situation where he may have to reduce not just his game day workload, but also practice reps during the week. This could, of course, effect his conditioning.

They are going to have to draft a RB this year.

McVay and Snead have to work from the position that Gurley may only have a couple of "part time" seasons left.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Is it really that bad? I honestly don’t know much about arthritis in one’s knee.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Way better than ligament damage... especially the ACL.

Dr Selassie I thinks that pain management is much easier to deal with than trying to piece together ligaments and hoping they hold up.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Is it really that bad? I honestly don’t know much about arthritis in one’s knee.
I have it in both knees. It is really that bad. Dragging tacklers for a living with an arthritic knee isn't going to happen. I'm glad he at least got paid. Selfishly as a fan I want him to continue playing but for his long term health he should quit. Can't help but wonder what could have been.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
This is where Ricky Williams endorsement of legalized herb comes in handy...
image9.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/02/report-todd-gurley-has-arthritis-in-knee/
Todd Gurley has arthritis in knee

Todd Gurley surely has something wrong with his left knee, no matter how aggressively the Rams will try to deny it. A new report has provided the first concrete diagnosis.

Jeff Howe of TheAthletic.com reports that Gurley has arthritis in the knee.

It’s the same knee that underwent an ACL repair in 2014. If the report is accurate, what will the Rams do about it? Coach Sean McVay discussed stem-cell treatment options for the knee this week at the Scouting Combine. If Gurley has arthritis that comes from a loss of cartilage, microfracture surgery presumably would be a possibility. However, the Rams have said that Gurley won’t have surgery.

The good news for Gurley, but the bad news for the Rams, is that Gurley’s contract gives him a high degree of financial security. As of the third day of the 2019 league year, he’ll have $34.5 million fully guaranteed and another $9.5 million still guaranteed for injury.

So the overriding question is whether and to what extent the Rams will get a return on their $45 million injury-guaranteed investment in Gurley. He generated more than 1,800 yards from scrimmage through the first 14 games of the year, but then it all started to fall apart for Gurley, with two missed regular-season games, a solid performance in the divisional round against Dallas, and two lackluster showings in the NFC title game and Super Bowl LIII.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I'm no medical doctor, but imho there's at least a couple reasons to back away from the ledge and not jump onto the Chargers bandwagon.

First, broadly speaking, arthritis is a general terms that describes inflammation in joints (link). "Actually, 'arthritis' is not a single disease; it is an informal way of referring to joint pain or joint disease."(link) Months ago it was confirmed that Gurley suffered from knee inflammation (link).
So, talk of Gurley having knee "arthritis" is probably correct, but not necessarily all that informative.

Second, "arthritis" isn't a death sentence. Kobe Bryant is proof:
http://grantland.com/features/kobe-bryant-dr-chris-renna-regenokine-knee-treatment/

Matt Kemp, after he lost the spare tire around the waist, was also sort of proof that "arthritis" is not a death sentence:
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23916589/wait-dodgers-outfielder-matt-kemp-star-again

Third, medical science is progressing at light speed and it's been years since Kobe's Regenokine therapy.

It's too early to jump off the ledge imho, but for those that want to, feel free . . .

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol, everyone keeps posting the same article....
All goes back to the same tweet

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lol, everyone keeps posting the same article....
All goes back to the same tweet

Rotoworld is also reporting it:

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports Todd Gurley has arthritis in his knee.

This explains what Gurley was dealing with throughout the playoffs. Gurley's knee wasn't 100 percent for most of 2018, but it was magnified after a setback against the Eagles in Week 15. Gurley is considering stem cell treatment this offseason to help with the arthritis. There are some career outlook concerns with Gurley's knee condition. The Rams are likely to scale back Gurley's workload in 2019.

SOURCE: Jeff Howe on Twitter
Mar 2, 2019, 8:39 AM

:sneaky:

Status
Not open for further replies.