Money, Team, Winners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I've firmly believed in Sam since he was killing my alma mater in college. I was conflicted but approving over Suh in the draft. I recognized the team deficiencies that retarded his NFL development. I expected great things from him this year. I was pizzed when he was traded. I believe he will have a Simms/Warner like revival in Philly.

So why do I now agree with Snisher about the trade?

Because TEAMS become winners and Bradford chose a paycheck over his team. I too am pizzed he refused to help financially. He is guaranteed the largest rookie contract of all time and didn't give his team their money's worth. Character! Everyone on this team (especially Fisher) defended him when the majority bailed. How did he reward them? Pay me ALL my contract in spite of my lack of performance.

Sam has talent and works hard. He's a great gamble for Chip the Cold-Blooded Genius. But if Lombardi and Vermeil have taught me anything, love for each other and selling out (sacrifice everything) for a cause is worth the sacrifice. Foles has Warner-like character. The cap space will bolster the team. Because of this and the team makeup I am now convinced...the vision of this team is more than the sum of its parts. If Sam restructured, he would still be here. If he could stay healthy, he would still be here. If Sam loved his teammates, he would still be here. Strike three Sam.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
I dunno man... Maybe, Sam wants the cash (who wouldn't want to get paid?), but maybe he needs a fresh set of surroundings - 2 ACLs in 2 years means he is probably looking for a fresh start.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't buy it. The only reason they backed Sam was because there was nobody else. As soon as another qb became available they shipped him off quick smart.

I will never hold it against a player if he wants the money that is owed to him on the contract the team signed. And there's no guarantee the Rams would have kept him if he took a pay cut. There would have been even more trade interest.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I agree @leoram when I heard he won't take the cut I was glad they got rid of him. I understand him wanting his money and don't begrudge that but I also don't want that QB.

To your point look at the Manning - Brady debate.

Manning took his first pay cut and makes 15m this year. 1 Championship and 8 one and outs.

Brady restructured his deals 4 or 5 times over his career. Getting paid 8M next year. 6 Super Bowl appearances 4 SB wins, 9 AFC championships.

Give me the guy like Brady who is more interested in winning than how much he is getting paid.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree @leoram when I heard he won't take the cut I was glad they got rid of him. I understand him wanting his money and don't begrudge that but I also don't want that QB.

To your point look at the Manning - Brady debate.

Manning took his first pay cut and makes 15m this year. 1 Championship and 8 one and outs.

Brady restructured his deals 4 or 5 times over his career. Getting paid 8M next year. 6 Super Bowl appearances 4 SB wins, 9 AFC championships.

Give me the guy like Brady who is more interested in winning than how much he is getting paid.

You mean the same tom Brady that got a $30m signing bonus in 2013? And has been paid $150m thus far in his career? Yeah he's doing it tough.

Interesting enough eli Manning has been paid the same amount as Brady in less years and his giants beat brady's Patriots in two superbowls.

The only players that have been paid more than Brady are the two mannings.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I dunno man... Maybe, Sam wants the cash (who wouldn't want to get paid?), but maybe he needs a fresh set of surroundings - 2 ACLs in 2 years means he is probably looking for a fresh start.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. It could be that SB refused to take a pay cut because he wanted out and knew that would force the Rams hand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
You mean the same tom Brady that got a $30m signing bonus in 2013? And has been paid $150m thus far in his career? Yeah he's doing it tough.

Interesting enough eli Manning has been paid the same amount as Brady in less years and his giants beat brady's Patriots in two superbowls.

I think you may have missed my point. Didn't say Brady was poor. He is a hall of fame QB who has played, what? 16 years? He has made money just because he has been around for a while. I bet Rodgers, Brees, Bradford to name a few have made more at their current points of their careers compared to Brady.

Point is Brady has never hamstrung his team with a bad contract. Look at Brees albatross. Brady has on numerous occasions reworked his deal.

Don't get me wrong, not saying he is a saint or sacrificing anything significant. But if Manning had done what Brady has done over his career he might have less 1 and dones in his career and more SB's

To the original point I want a QB more like Brady who will do what is best for the team and Bradford clearly didn't follow that mold.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I have to agree with @leoram and @Boston Ram. If you're really willing to stay at a place you like, you'll do anything, even take a pay cut. The problem is, football players don't think like we do. Every single one of us on this board work our asses off everyday to live and provide for family. Sam Bradford isn't thinking "You're going to put me from $13/hr to $11/hr? How will I pay the mortgage this month?" No, he's thinking "theres a chance I'll never walk again past age 30, give me my money like we agreed on." Unfortunately, this will never change with pro athletes. I think it worked out for the best though. I really like Nick Foles, he comes off as an intelligent, nice, hardworking guy who just wants to win.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't buy it. The only reason they backed Sam was because there was nobody else. As soon as another qb became available they shipped him off quick smart.

I will never hold it against a player if he wants the money that is owed to him on the contract the team signed. And there's no guarantee the Rams would have kept him if he took a pay cut. There would have been even more trade interest.

this scenario thats played out since 2010 is exactly why the rookie contracts had to be fixed. makes one wonder if sam was getting 3 -4 million a year instead of the montrosity he did get,maybe the rams could have afforded skill players OR off. line to help out .

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I always have been a HUGE Sam Bradford supporter. But even I was not comfortable keeping him at his current salary. The risk was just too huge. I have rewatched over and over both injuries and neither of them were major hits or twists. Both times I was completely shocked that "those" hits tore his ACL. So going into this season .... how could ANYONE feel comfortable that it wasn't going to happen again?

Once it was reported that he refused a pay cut, I was all in on trying to find a way to move/replace him. It's a business decision and sometimes those are hard to make and may seem a bit ruthless but ..... this is a business about trying to win games. I also don't fault Snead or Fisher for not "announcing" their intentions earlier. Like THAT would have been a smart move! o_O smdh. Give me a break Jim Thomas!:rolleyes:

I truly hope this trade works out well for both parties, I really do. But I definitely back Snead and Fisher on this one. It was time to move on. I can't fault them for trying to do what was best for the team.

Big Willie

Starter
Yeah, this is what I was thinking. It could be that SB refused to take a pay cut because he wanted out and knew that would force the Rams hand.
That's what I thought. All he has had during his time in STL is injury and losing. Maybe he simply wanted out. Players do it all the time...create leverage by putting teams in a position where teams are forced to move on because of the financial hardship of the player's contract. Revis is the master of this strategy.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I have to agree with @leoram and @Boston Ram. If you're really willing to stay at a place you like, you'll do anything, even take a pay cut. The problem is, football players don't think like we do. Every single one of us on this board work our asses off everyday to live and provide for family. Sam Bradford isn't thinking "You're going to put me from $13/hr to $11/hr? How will I pay the mortgage this month?" No, he's thinking "theres a chance I'll never walk again past age 30, give me my money like we agreed on." Unfortunately, this will never change with pro athletes. I think it worked out for the best though. I really like Nick Foles, he comes off as an intelligent, nice, hardworking guy who just wants to win.

I've torn a calf muscle, achilles tendon twice, broken toes, fingers, had problems with my back, shoulders, and various other physical ailments. No employer ever threatened to cut my salary because I was injured or in pain but if I didn't show up for work I would have been fired. If you can't do what you're being paid to do, no matter what profession you're in, chances are you'll end up losing your job.

Back in the 80's I was a route driver making good money. The company was sold to a new owner who informed me that I could keep my job but would be working for two dollars less an hour. I quit and got a new job for more money.

Good for the Rams for doing what's best for the team and good for Sam Bradford for doing what's best for him.

iced

I think you may have missed my point. Didn't say Brady was poor. He is a hall of fame QB who has played, what? 16 years? He has made money just because he has been around for a while. I bet Rodgers, Brees, Bradford to name a few have made more at their current points of their careers compared to Brady.

Point is Brady has never hamstrung his team with a bad contract. Look at Brees albatross. Brady has on numerous occasions reworked his deal.

Don't get me wrong, not saying he is a saint or sacrificing anything significant. But if Manning had done what Brady has done over his career he might have less 1 and dones in his career and more SB's

To the original point I want a QB more like Brady who will do what is best for the team and Bradford clearly didn't follow that mold.

pretty sure brady got more money on his last "restructure"

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't care about his contract or if he refused to take a pay cut. The man was a helluva good person and by all accounts worked his ass off during his time here.

Injuries fucking suck, and he's been labeled "injury prone" b/c of awkward ways he landed that tears ACLs. You don't have guys publicly saying he has lack of leadership skills (Jay Cutler, which I don't buy), or is the last to arrive/1st to leave (Matthew Stafford), or having off field issues like Josh Freeman. No.

Sam Bradford has been bashed relentlessly and thrown all kinds of labels for 4 years. And he continued to work to the point where his emotions got the best of him when he tore his ACL the 2nd time. I have all the respect in the world for him.

I'm gonna be rooting for him as an Eagle, and of course I'll be rooting for Nick Foles.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
More money that what? His last restructure saved the team 24m in cap space.
Brady may have restructured his contract a couple of times But it never cost him a penny. they just restructured how and when he would get it!!

iced

More money that what? His last restructure saved the team 24m in cap space.

When a player restructures they almost always gain "more money" - usually by converting one bonus to another that spreads over the life of the contract.

For Brady on this last restructure, he has an annual raise of $1 million guaranteed

http://nesn.com/2014/12/tom-brady-deserves-praise-but-not-specifically-for-contract-restructure/

Tom Brady and the New England Patriots confused a lot of people Monday.

When news broke that Brady restructured his contract, freeing up $24 million, seemingly everyone thought the Patriots quarterback had selflessly given his team millions in cap space. He didn’t, though. He freed up $24 million in cash, which is much different but still helpful.

If Brady hadn’t restructured his deal, then the Patriots would have put $24 million in escrow. Restructuring allows him to get paid week to week and frees up that $24 million for Robert Kraft and the Patriots to spend, rather than hold. Brady had an extra $1 million tacked on to each yearly salary, and now the Patriots can afford — as if they already couldn’t — costly bonuses that could be paid out to free agents this offseason. Cornerback Darrelle Revis, safety Devin McCourty and left tackle Nate Solder might be in line for big contracts with costly signing bonuses, and apparently the Krafts needed to free up some cash to pay those out.

The Patriots still will need to spread out that money along the cap, however. We’re talking actual spendable cash here, not cap room.

Whenever news breaks of a Brady restructure, the immediate thought is “what a selfless player,” and then the next from more pessimistic folks is, “Wait a second, he benefited, too. What a jerk.”

Yes, Brady had money added to his deal and none taken off the table, but let’s not forget that his salaries already are comically low for a player of his caliber. Brady’s cap hit in 2015 is just $14 million, 17th among active quarterbacks and below players such as Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler and Carson Palmer. Brady’s base salary is just $8 million, which is 14th among active QBs.

Brady is taking less money to allow his team to be more competitive but not because of his recent restructure. Of course, money isn’t an issue for Brady, who’s married to an even higher-paid supermodel and makes gobs of cash through endorsements, but it’s still nice to see a player take less for his team, no matter how much it probably ticks off other quarterbacks around the league.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england...gnificance-of-tom-bradys-contract-restructure

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady restructured his contract, as reported by ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Here is what it means:

It creates cash-flow flexibility for the Patriots. On Saturday, the final three years of Brady’s contract -- $7 million in 2015, $8 million in 2016 and $9 million in 2017 -- became fully guaranteed for “skill.” When that happened, it required the Patriots to have a $24 million cash commitment on their budget, and by the end of March, the team would have had to have put that money up with the NFL because of league requirements. With Brady agreeing to change the guarantee from “skill” to only “injury,” it means the Patriots don’t have to do that. So the team gains cash-flow flexibility with this move. It does not affect the salary cap.

It helps the Patriots in other areas. They now have more ready cash. Thus, it potentially puts them in a position where they can get creative with some critical upcoming negotiations, as cornerback Darrelle Revis, safety Devin McCourty, left tackle Nate Solder (fifth-year option), running back Shane Vereen and kicker Stephen Gostkowski are some of the team’s notable players scheduled to be free agents after this season. In a situation where the Patriots could be competing against other teams for those players, the possibility of being able to commit more cash to them in the 2015 calendar year could be an advantage. To a lesser degree, but something that is also important to point out, the restructured contract allows the Patriots to release Brady without being committed to a full, $24 million guarantee. It’s hard to imagine them doing this, given that the contract has been widely viewed as a great value.

Brady gains in the exchange as well. As part of the restructure, the Patriots added $1 million to each of the base salaries in Brady’s contract, per a source. Brady will now get $8 million in 2015, $9 million in 2016 and $10 million in 2017. That is still a significant bargain for the team based on market rates. But more than that for Brady, what he hopefully gains is better players around him as the team can now spend more cash in 2015 on key players.

It's rare to see player and team working together like this. The restructuring reflects, from this viewpoint, a situation in which the team’s star player and management worked together on a deal that can be viewed as mutually beneficial. A situation like this doesn’t happen unless there are a few important factors in play, specifically a star player who isn't holding out for every last dollar, trust between key principles and an agent, Don Yee, who was at one timedescribed by former Patriots executive Scott Pioli as one of the “most respectful and admirable people in the industry.” I see it as a situation that is especially rare in professional football, a result of both sides having an appreciation for a partnership that has been mostly beneficial for all involved in the past 15 years.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Where is the anger towards the Rams when they cut Wells, Long, or Langford? Weren't they part of the TEAM? They sacrificed themselves out there and got tossed aside when they weren't a good value for the Rams anymore - as countless players do every year in the NFL.

This is a career. Sure, it's easy to say that Sam has plenty of money and doesn't need more - but the owners have even more money - way more. How many of you have ever volunteered to take less money for the good of your workplace?

Of all pro athletes, NFL players have the worst CBA - unilateral contracts, extremely short career spans, and unbelievably hazardous working conditions.

I will never blame a player for holding out, refusing a pay cut, or otherwise getting every last dollar he can out of the league - even if it's my team he is holding hostage.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I don't feel sorry for ANY of these athletes. It's the nature of the business they chose to pursue ...AND they are greatly compensated no matter what people think. I myself have had FOUR knee surgeries work related and my compensation? ... future medical. I didn't get paid a multi-million dollar salary while rehabbing. This nonsense that athletes need to be coddled is ridiculous. They have more perks, options, benefits at their disposal than many of us can dream of.

I could only WISH that I had the opportunity to have gotten to the NFL and got even ONE contract for the money these guys make. ... oh .. .and the college education most were afforded even before to help them set themselves up for life.

The NFL and all pro sports in general ... it's a business. Loyalty only goes as far as the reward pays out on both sides of the deal. It isn't and shouldn't be taken personal.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Who is Sam Bradford? Our QB is Nick Foles and it is time to move on. People seldom give money back in any profession especially when they were injured while performing on the job, the length of their recovery is immaterial to the situation. In Nick I will trust now lets sign some FA OL help.