Mocks following the Peters trade ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
What I like about this trade, besides the obvious, is how this helps set-up how free agency & the draft continues to unfold. For under $2.mil. this next season, the Rams have filled a huge need by acquiring an elite player to more than fill TruJo's shoes at CB.
I count 4 positions remaining on defense where the Rams can seriously upgrade aspects of our game, only 3 of which really need be starters. With approximately $38.2 mil left in available CAP, including the signing of our draft class, and assuming that we still wish to re-sign Watkins, Joyner, Robey-Coleman, Sullivan, McQuaide as well as return our RFA's & ERFA's, we may be left with as little as $4.mil. Now, if we add the two CAP Casualties most often mentioned (Barron, Austin) this off-season as being cut, that should get us back up to about the $14.mil area in available funds. This $14.mil figure is without accounting for whether the Rams front load in their more typical fashion of late, or front load in a manner which may help pave the way for future contracts like Donald & Goff's to more easily squeeze under a future CAP.
OK, so the following is my list of the 4 positions i'd like to still see addressed on defense in 2018; CB#2, NT, ILB, LOLB. There has been a lot of talk about another free agent being brought in at CB#2, but with our limited remaining CAP availability, and that this position is an expensive one to fill with a highly regarded young veteran, I might suggest we leave this one for a higher pick in the draft. I'm of the opinion that there are some quality NT's, ILB's & OLB's to be had in free agency for a relatively inexpensive price, in fact, all 3 will come in under our $14.mil. in remaining funds. The LOLB would be more of a rotational guy anyway as I believe Ebukam is ready to take over for the departed (or will be) Connor Barwin. As for the oft mentioned lack of depth on our Offensive Line, the remainder of the draft, whatever that may be after discovering what we have left following the Peters trade, can be devoted right here. This isn't a mock, so i'll refrain from offering names for free agents & the draft, but with our limited money, we can continue to build a powerhouse going forward.
I understand some are wondering where is the money for re-signing Donald right here, right now, but I can only hope that Snead's best bargaining to date may be in how he approaches Donald & his agent. Donald's 5'th year option is a sizable raise and has already been accounted for, although we are all aware what's to come in the very near future. If the Rams have a new record breaking contract for the 2019 season ready and in place for Donald prior to the 2018 opening of camp, our team may just tie him up thru the end of 2024. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree that the Rams know they're going to take a corner at some point in this draft. They need an influx of youth and talent in that room and perhaps most importantly club control.

Personally and in general I think they either take a CB there who fits (there is a good chance they are looking at a special talent at the position at 23), OR they move down. Now, of course they will probably take any special talent "need" option who slides to 23, like for example Vea and there are multiple others who could end up getting to us. But again in general I think they are going to be interested in recouping draft value and sliding down from 23 is a great way to add a round 3 pick.

If you look at ILB, OLB, even OL the needs are all mostly depth and "next guy up" type requirements. Assuming Quinn isn't moved of course. This is because as you say (and worst case scenario) they have some guys like Ebukam who can step into Barwin's role, Littleton for Barron, Blythe for Sully, etc. So IMO the OLB need is moreso a guy with high end pass rush skills who might be able to spell Quinn in the future (I am assuming at this point they keep Quinn).

From that perspective it's clear that their top two needs (i.e. needing an actual starter) as of right now and before the FA period are NT and CB2. They don't have a good fill (or even a "maybe this guy can fill it" type) for either of those positions IMO. And that doesn't mean they'll use FA for them, either, necessarily, since both are very well represented in this draft.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree that the Rams know they're going to take a corner at some point in this draft. They need an influx of youth and talent in that room and perhaps most importantly club control.

Personally and in general I think they either take a CB there who fits (there is a good chance they are looking at a special talent at the position at 23), OR they move down. Now, of course they will probably take any special talent "need" option who slides to 23, like for example Vea and there are multiple others who could end up getting to us. But again in general I think they are going to be interested in recouping draft value and sliding down from 23 is a great way to add a round 3 pick.

If you look at ILB, OLB, even OL the needs are all mostly depth and "next guy up" type requirements. Assuming Quinn isn't moved of course. This is because as you say (and worst case scenario) they have some guys like Ebukam who can step into Barwin's role, Littleton for Barron, Blythe for Sully, etc. So IMO the OLB need is moreso a guy with high end pass rush skills who might be able to spell Quinn in the future (I am assuming at this point they keep Quinn).

From that perspective it's clear that their top two needs (i.e. needing an actual starter) as of right now and before the FA period are NT and CB2. They don't have a good fill for either of those positions IMO. And that doesn't mean they'll use FA for them, either, necessarily, since both are very well represented in this draft.

You are quite right about a trade down of our 1'st round draft pick taking on more significance than ever with our trade for Peters, and not knowing his compensation yet of multiple 2018/19 draft picks.
Also assuming here that Quinn remains, i'd venture that most believe the Quinn/Longacre combo should be able to hold down that fort. At the other end is where I might seek Ebukam's slight opposite for rotation, someone perhaps a little more adept with the edge rush, as Ebukam may already be our best run defending LB on the unit. Potential free agent linebackers like Navarro Bowman & Avery Williamson will probably be priced out for our needs, which brings me back to more affordable guys like Aaron Lynch at LOLB and Todd Davis at ILB. I reserve most of the leftover available CAP for a NT. With free agency coming before the draft coupled with my philosophy of using free agency to fill holes while using the draft for BPA & depth, this is my early approach. Not knowing the number of or how limited our overall draft picks will be due to the trade keeps things rather vague at this point, so i'm just guessing that we won't have a 3'rd round pick unless we follow thru on trading down that 1'st for a 2'nd and a 3'rd. jmo.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I agree w/ a trade down appears to be best to recoup picks lost in past and present trades. Maybe we trade our 1st for a 2nd & 3rd which would add depth and still afford us a starter by mid season once their up to speed

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree w/ a trade down appears to be best to recoup picks lost in past and present trades. Maybe we trade our 1st for a 2nd & 3rd which would add depth and still afford us a starter by mid season once their up to speed

Now that we are aware of Peters' compensation, i'm thinking more towards our 1'st (#23) for a 2018 2'nd as well as a 2019 2'nd to make up for the one we lost. jmo.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
all i know is with brass balls snead in the house .. this draft could be interesting we have players that could be added to trade up and down all over the shop .. baron quinn Austin ... we could be trading back to pick up some extras .. i love the wheeling dealing

WestCoastRam

Legend
One thing that goes unwritten here about the trade down (which I'm generally in favor of) is that if we give up that 1st rnd pick, we give up the extra 5th year option on a player. That's not a small thing. I don't think it's enough to sway me from not trading down but it's certainly incentive to stay in the 1st round if possible in a trade down scenario.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All I know is that if Vea, Joshua Jackson or now, Billy Price are there, I'll be upset if we don't take them.