Mock Draft from across the pond

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
OK, so, I'm looking in from the outside, and my wife's bore of me talking about free agency and the draft, so I'm putting this out there guys.

Thanks for taking the time to read it!

I know the Rams have got many holes to fill but I'm thinking our biggest gaps to fill are SS, FS, OLB, & WR

Round 1
#16 Kenny Vaccaro SS (Texas)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDYhY3NpMwQ[/youtube]

Strong Safety is one of our biggest needs and hard-hitting Vaccaro has the toughness that Fisher likes, he could also be the best available athlete on the board at 16. He can play center field, while also having the adaptability to cover tight ends and the slot position.

# 22 Menelik Watson OT (Florida State)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQrzT_tzc5I[/youtube]

We're sureing up our O-line with a bit of depth here, Watson is a beast of a man that can play RT and LT, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting at guard - especially if we need to make cap space with cutting Dahl…. This guy has a serious up-side!

Round 2
# 46 - Robert Woods WR (USC)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmnl9FaFKHY[/youtube]

We'll miss out on Tavon Austin in the first round, but we still need weapons - Robert Woods has the best football knowledge and hands in this year's draft class and is a steal in the middle of Round 2. [hil]IMO this guy is the real deal.
[/hil]
Round 3
# 78 - Barrett Jones OT/G/C

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHad6hgwd_8[/youtube]

We need depth across the O-line, Barrett is can play all 4 positions up front, he could be a steal for the Rams

Round 4
# 113 - Phillip Thomas FS (Fresno State)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7R24OSpXVI[/youtube]

The ball hawking safety (8 with 3 pick sixes in 2012) could be a day 1 starter in Jeff Fisher's Defence! Imagine having Janoris and Thomas on the same defence - interception city!

Round 5
# 142 - Jamie Collins OLB (Southern Miss)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zz0XCGsDVE[/youtube]

The big names will all have been long gone by round 4, Jamie Collins is another one that's under the radar but is a fast and physical consistent producer and would be an instant starter for us.

Round 6
# 174 - Brandon Kaufman WR (East Wash)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsELBRN4EW8[/youtube]

We need another WR and Kaufman could be a sleeper at 6'5" he went over 100 in 11 of 13 games last season and he can play.

Round 7
#206 - Josh Boyd DT (Mississipi State)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpMo3FjjZrE[/youtube]

It's pretty thin behind Brock & Langford at 310lbs he's big enough to fill that gap!

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Maybe a bit heavy on OLine. Not a huge fan of the Watson pick. I think we need to grab an offensive playmaker in the first round.

I love the 2nd and 3rd round selections. If we dont target a WR in the first, Woods is my top choice in the second round. If Jones were available in the third I would be ecstatic.

I also like that you targeted DT depth. That is something we definitely need to address at some point in the draft.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Duz the tat on Vacarro's rt arm say plixiglass? :rofl:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Nice work shaun.

I think it's a little heavy on the oline now that Long is signed. Unless of course Saffold is dealt.

I'm starting to conclude Austin is not available at 16, either.

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
Nice work shaun.

I think it's a little heavy on the oline now that Long is signed. Unless of course Saffold is dealt.

I'm starting to conclude Austin is not available at 16, either.
Trade up
train

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the feedback guys...

With all the hype, I think Austin will be chosen in the top 10, and reading between the lines - Snead and Fisher are loving the fact that they have 2 R1 picks this year and next - how many times has he said about the 3 year 6 pick Round 1 (Janoris being the 6th)

I know it's o-line heavy, but I feel we are a little paper thin - I'd hate to see but historically we've had a few injuries - Saffold & Wells last year - also, I'm concerned with Saffold possibly wanting out for a starting LT role next season and I have a feeling that Dahl is going to be cut - so my starting O-line would be:

RT: Saffold
RG: Watson
C: Wells
LG: Watkins
LT: Long

Jones is my for want of a better name "super-sub"

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm thinking Dahl is safe.

He's made it this far.

His cap hit might be $4M, but that seems reasonable to me for a stout guard. And... he's good.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:

He's made it this far.

His cap hit might be $4M, but that seems reasonable to me for a stout guard. And... he's good.

I'm hoping you're right :)

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
libertadrocks said:
Maybe a bit heavy on OLine. Not a huge fan of the Watson pick. I think we need to grab an offensive playmaker in the first round.

I love the 2nd and 3rd round selections. If we dont target a WR in the first, Woods is my top choice in the second round. If Jones were available in the third I would be ecstatic.

I also like that you targeted DT depth. That is something we definitely need to address at some point in the draft.

I'm starting to think that Jones won't be available too :neh:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
CGI_Ram said:

He's made it this far.

Yes, Dahl has made it to this point but we still don't have the money free to sign our draft class. If we can pick up a Warmack or Cooper in the 1st that $4M could come in handy.

Also, Dalh is getting up in years and coming off an injury. I see him as a prime candidate for a draft day cut.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
BigRamFan said:
CGI_Ram said:

He's made it this far.

Yes, Dahl has made it to this point but we still don't have the money free to sign our draft class. If we can pick up a Warmack or Cooper in the 1st that $4M could come in handy.

Also, Dalh is getting up in years and coming off an injury. I see him as a prime candidate for a draft day cut.

Good call, it may be a draft day cut, depending on who's left on the board, after all Snead and Fisher are leading a youthful revolution

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
BigRamFan said:
CGI_Ram said:

He's made it this far.

You could be right.

But I'm in the camp that believes we'll convert JL's roster bonus to signing bonus - first. With that move, Dahl isn't cut out of financial necessity.

If cut; it's because a younger player is ready and a better value.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
BigRamFan said:
CGI_Ram said:

He's made it this far.

You could be right.

But I'm in the camp that believes we'll convert JL's roster bonus to signing bonus - first. With that move, Dahl isn't cut out of financial necessity.

If cut; it's because a younger player is ready and a better value.

Is there an update on our Cap Space? I know we're signing some guys at the moment (NFL minimum) which all adds up, is there an update on say Dahl's / JL's contracts?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Probably wont hear anything till camp opens up, that's usually when business with existing contracts gets done.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
Probably wont hear anything till camp opens up, that's usually when business with existing contracts gets done.

Thanks for the update bluecoconuts :)