MMQB: Why You Can’t Let Young QBs Learn from the Bench

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/17/nfl-problem-rookie-quarterbacks-not-enough-practice-time

Why You Can’t Let Young QBs Learn from the Bench
Every team would love to keep its highly drafted quarterback under wraps for a season or two so he can slowly transform into a franchise player, but it’s a pipedream in today’s NFL
by Andy Benoit

9579304-jared-goff-nfl-los-angeles-rams-tampa-bay-buccaneers-850x560.jpg

Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Every year we see NFL teams draft an unready quarterback in the first or second round, with the intention of having him learn from the bench as a rookie. The Bears (Mitchell Trubisky), the Texans (Deshaun Watson) and especially the Chiefs (Pat Mahomes) will toy with this idea in 2017.

It’s a logical and admirable approach. Every team wants its guy to be like Aaron Rodgers emerging from Brett Favre’s shadow, turning an apprenticeship into stardom. The only problem: that never happens anymore.

Literally. Itdoesnothappen. Since 2006, no team that drafted a quarterback in the first two rounds sat him for the entirety of his rookie season and then saw him become a long-term franchise quarterback.

In fact, only two QBs in that time who sat out their entire rookie seasons have even gone on to start at least 48 games: Colin Kaepernick, with the 49ers, and Chad Henne, with the Dolphins.

The previous generation of quarterbacks saw a handful of highly drafted players sit and learn. The best examples were Carson Palmer in Cincinnati, Drew Brees in San Diego, Philip Rivers in San Diego, and, of course, Rodgers in Green Bay.

There were also the unique cases of Tony Romo and Tom Brady, guys who were brought in to fill the back of the roster and wound up developing well enough to become quality starters once they took the field. (Incidentally, both permanently replaced Drew Bledsoe.)

But those quarterbacks were all drafted at least 12 years ago. No one has followed that path since.

What’s changed in those dozen years? You can start at everyone’s favorite place and blame the culture. The NFL is an impatient, win-now league more than ever!

There’s some truth to that, plus the simple fact that teams who draft a quarterback in the early rounds usually do so because they didn’t have a good one to begin with. The Favre-led Packers selecting Rodgers is an extreme outlier. Many teams with highly drafted QBs don’t have a solid starter for him to sit behind.

But the bigger issue is time. In 2011, the current collective bargaining agreement significantly reduced practice hours, both during the season and and during the offseason. Naturally, it’s the backup players’ reps that disappear.

There’s barely enough time for the first-teamers to practice. Which means the only way to evaluate a QB and let him learn kinetically is to put him with your first team. And voila! There’s your new starting quarterback.

Eventually, something will give. Stylistically, the NFL and college games are drifting farther and farther apart. Incoming NFL quarterbacks are less prepared each year. With fewer chances for them to practice, young quarterbacks must continue to learn under the fire of live games. This diminishes the NFL’s product and can help ruin careers.

There is, however, one saving grace. The nature of today’s pass-happy NFL is prolonging quarterbacks’ careers. The days of repetitive deep dropback passes are practically over. Teams now regularly throw the ball quickly after the snap. Quicker, shorter passes place a greater emphasis on the intellectual side of quarterbacking and less on the physical side.

A quarterback no longer has to consistently throw the ball as far or hold it as long. Instead, he’s reading the defense more before the snap, which is how he’s able to throw so quickly after it. (This is how most college offenses operate, but they’re executing many of those quick throws differently than what you see in the NFL.

In college, the hash marks are spaced farther apart, which allows for wider formations. The wider side of these formations create more defined, almost indefensible quick throws. Everything becomes easier for the quarterback.)

Look at all the thirtysomething quarterbacks who are still performing at their highest levels:

Tom Brady, almost 40
Drew Brees, 38
Carson Palmer, 37
Eli Manning, 36
Philip Rivers, 35
Ben Roethlisberger, 35

Peyton Manning threw for 5,477 yards at age 37 and, after finally getting pushed up against the ropes by Father Time, still won a Super Bowl at age 39.

The NFL no longer gives young quarterbacks enough time to develop, but at least more stars at this position are staying around a little longer. At some point, of course, new quarterbacks will be needed. Hopefully in the next CBA teams can get back to practicing more. Developing QBs from the bench needs to be a real option rather than the pipedream that it has become.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm a firm believer that the New CBA has screwed all NFL Players! Mainly because they can not get the proper amount practice reps in, or the proper amount of conditioning Time. Then add in enough time to properly learn the Play book.
And the NFL claims they want to make rules to protect player, for safety sake!?! BS!!
This all make's for a " Accident looking for a Place to happen" scenario!! JMHO!!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Andy gives all the reasons why you sit your new QB and have him learn from the bench. While I'm glad Fisher is gone, I admired the fact he resisted the clamor for Goff to start. He wasn't ready then and he's got a high learning curve to overcome now. Giving in to media and fan pressure when coaches and GM's KNOW a QB isn't ready is just weak.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
In year three, many offensive linemen come into their own.The college game has changed how offensive lineman get ready for the NFL. And under the CBA there simply isn't enough time to do that.For any rookie though, becoming a pro lineman isn’t easy. College linemen typically learned a completely different game from what they’re hired to play in the pros.The spread offense, it just doesn’t translate. Greg Robinson (year 4)has been a colossal bust and beaten like a drum at the position ever since being drafted No 2.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What's funny is he lists 6 QBs and fails to mention what they have in common: they are all pocket QBs.

If you hit on a pocket QB you are going to have a guy around for a long time giving your team a chance to win. So just my personal opinion here, but that means these guys are worth the risk even if you are taking them a little higher than you should. Because if you do hit on one of them you are set up for a long time.

And given that, if you take a pocket QB who has a shelf life into his mid thirties, I don't think it really matters whether you play him year one or even whether he plays well. History backs that up. There simply isn't a correlation between playing well early on and greatness. If anything the correlation I see is that running QBs can get quick returns in their early years by using the read option to slow the rush, but all that is offset by the beating they take.

Also I'll go a step further and say that I think a coaching staff who can develop a QB is key when you're searching for one of these guys. Once you get one who is established you get a little more leeway but if you're in the market for a QB you'd better have a staff that knows wtf they're doing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Weak article. He summed up why teams don't sit highly drafted rookies in one sentence.....because the T are starved for a good QB.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
That's why you get a running game first....
And the best way to get a good running game is to get a good O line and blocking up front.

I can't say enough about how glad I am that they drafted the best fullback available.

:D I'm grinning from ear-to-ear. :D

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think if the QB is riding pine behind a Brett Favre, Tom Brady or Kurt Warner, there is a lot to learn.
However I don't think riding pine behind a Case Keenum is more valuable then actually playing. If of course, the game plan is built towards the QB strengths

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
You sit a Rookie QB being the 32 Ranked Starting QB in the league??!?!? What's their to learn, how to be BAD!!! Sitting Goff was a mistake.. build the offense around his strengths work on his weaknesses in practice and when ready in game.... It's really not that hard to get the ball from under center and hand off to Gurley, I can do that.

Ram65

Legend
I don't know if it would have helped Goff to start the season or hurt him. He took a beating in 7 games and playing in 16 games he could have had a serious injuy.. Goff got NFL game experience and came out healthy. Goff really had a lot going against him. Spread offense and not under center in college, pocket passer not a option thread and limited off season practice. Looks like things worked out for the best getting a healthy fresh start with a high quality coaching staff.