MLB hot stove 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I want Ozuna to re-sign with the Cardinals. Baseball can't start soon enough for me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It sounds like my Yankees want to bring Brett Gardner back. I love the guy and he had a good season but at 36 it's a bit scary to think of him as the every day centerfielder.

I'm glad the Yankees let Rothschilds go. He was good in his day but they need to catch up with what teams like the Astros are doing. Verlander looked near the end when they got him and Cole was good in Pittsburgh but became great in Houston.

I think Cole goes to the West coast. It would be nice to see the Yankees finally get the guy they drafted years ago, but I don't think they will want to break the bank to get him. Getting another arm would be nice but they may get Domingo German back and Jordan Montgomery next year. Cashman is right that it was ultimately the Yankees hitting that was their downfall.

It will be an interesting off season.

For the rest of baseball, I wish there weren't so many teams tanking. Seattle was looking good in 2018, only to sell off big future contracts. Too much of that going on. It's sad.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It sounds like my Yankees want to bring Brett Gardner back. I love the guy and he had a good season but at 36 it's a bit scary to think of him as the every day centerfielder.

I'm glad the Yankees let Rothschilds go. He was good in his day but they need to catch up with what teams like the Astros are doing. Verlander looked near the end when they got him and Cole was good in Pittsburgh but became great in Houston.

I think Cole goes to the West coast. It would be nice to see the Yankees finally get the guy they drafted years ago, but I don't think they will want to break the bank to get him. Getting another arm would be nice but they may get Domingo German back and Jordan Montgomery next year. Cashman is right that it was ultimately the Yankees hitting that was their downfall.

It will be an interesting off season.

For the rest of baseball, I wish there weren't so many teams tanking. Seattle was looking good in 2018, only to sell off big future contracts. Too much of that going on. It's sad.
I think Gardner, from my talks with a few other Yankee fans, is viewed by the club as a 4th OF/insurance policy. They haven't had the best luck with health there and they might depend on a young guy or two going forward so a vet like him on the bench isn't a bad thing.

As for Cole he's a UCLA grad born in Newport Beach. Chances are very good that as long as the money being acceptable to his super agent he'll be either an Angel or Dodger next year. Not sure I want my club giving out huge contracts like are being discussed for him and Rendon but they're in the mix for both is seems.

Yeah I'm anxious for the stove to be lit.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Gardner, from my talks with a few other Yankee fans, is viewed by the club as a 4th OF/insurance policy. They haven't had the best luck with health there and they might depend on a young guy or two going forward so a vet like him on the bench isn't a bad thing.

As for Cole he's a UCLA grad born in Newport Beach. Chances are very good that as long as the money being acceptable to his super agent he'll be either an Angel or Dodger next year. Not sure I want my club giving out huge contracts like are being discussed for him and Rendon but they're in the mix for both is seems.

Yeah I'm anxious for the stove to be lit.

Since Aaron Hicks had ACL surgery a few weeks ago and is likely out for half of next season, or more, Gardner is being projected as the starting Centerfielder, unless something changes.

Gardner was a platoon player last year but ended up with much more playing time than planned, and did well. I think they are hoping for the same thing until July when he would go back to platooning. Half a season is a long time to rely on him manning CF imo.

I hope they resign Maybin but so far I haven’t seen any indication of that happening.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Yankees are going to overhaul the S&C program and trainers due to so many injuries last year. I hope that is a real fix.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope they resign Maybin but so far I haven’t seen any indication of that happening.
I think Tauchman is in the running for the CF job, unless they go out and get somebody.
The Yankees biggest problem is the albatross of Stanton, he basically blocks 2 positions.
Hated the trade then, still hate it now.
I don't think there is any chance of Cole going anywhere but the West Coast.
The guy I'd prefer is Bumgarner, but that doesn't appear to be an option.
Going to be interesting this off season, because there are several quality pitchers available in FA, and we may not see an off season like this again.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Tauchman is in the running for the CF job, unless they go out and get somebody.
The Yankees biggest problem is the albatross of Stanton, he basically blocks 2 positions.
Hated the trade then, still hate it now.
I don't think there is any chance of Cole going anywhere but the West Coast.
The guy I'd prefer is Bumgarner, but that doesn't appear to be an option.
Going to be interesting this off season, because there are several quality pitchers available in FA, and we may not see an off season like this again.

Forgot about Tauchman. I never liked the Stanton trade either. I will change my mind though if he has a great season. I’d rather Andujar be the DH. He’s a better contact hitter.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I want Ozuna to re-sign with the Cardinals. Baseball can't start soon enough for me.

Hell, no. I want the draft pick. And we've got a ton of outfielders in the minor leagues that are ready to play, including Dylan Carlson.

I'd also find a way to trade Fowler and Jose Martinez and DFA Matt Carpenter (whom I don't think is going to bounce back).

As for free-agency, I'd probably buy low on some starters, particularly left-handed starters (maybe trade a young outfielder for a solid young left-hander?), but that's it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Forgot about Tauchman. I never liked the Stanton trade either. I will change my mind though if he has a great season. I’d rather Andujar be the DH. He’s a better contact hitter.
Stanton is a great player and whether he has a great year or not, he’s been a terrible fit. Eats up 30+ mill of payroll, and either is a liability in the OF or clogging up the DH spot. I imagine Andujar will start the year in either AA or AAA playing 1B.
going to be interesting for sure

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Hell, no. I want the draft pick. And we've got a ton of outfielders in the minor leagues that are ready to play, including Dylan Carlson.

I'd also find a way to trade Fowler and Jose Martinez and DFA Matt Carpenter (whom I don't think is going to bounce back).

As for free-agency, I'd probably buy low on some starters, particularly left-handed starters (maybe trade a young outfielder for a solid young left-hander?), but that's it.
We need Ozuna's bat to give cover for Goldschmidt and vice versa. No different than getting Holliday to cover Pujols.

Memento

Name
Jemma
We need Ozuna's bat to give cover for Goldschmidt and vice versa. No different than getting Holliday to cover Pujols.

I'm not comfortable paying a poor defensive player (who is only going to get worse) with a bat that isn't elite and is blocking our prospects. With Holliday, you knew what you were getting and we didn't have a replacement. We have the outfield depth now.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I'm not comfortable paying a poor defensive player (who is only going to get worse) with a bat that isn't elite and is blocking our prospects. With Holliday, you knew what you were getting and we didn't have a replacement. We have the outfield depth now.
Mo must believe the window for taking the Central is open for a year before another rookie bat can replace Ozuna. He wouldn't offer the big money to Ozuna unless he felt he had to do so. Defense is an easier commodity than offense and currently there must not be an obvious replacement for Ozuna's bat in the Cardinals minor league system. You mentioned Carpenter and it might be it him unless he turns it around fast at the plate. I would hate to see him go anywhere else. That '09 draft was amazing.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Mo must believe the window for taking the Central is open for a year before another rookie bat can replace Ozuna. He wouldn't offer the big money to Ozuna unless he felt he had to do so. Defense is an easier commodity than offense and currently there must not be an obvious replacement for Ozuna's bat in the Cardinals minor league system. You mentioned Carpenter and it might be it him unless he turns it around fast at the plate. I would hate to see him go anywhere else. That '09 draft was amazing.

The Cubs and Pirates are rebuilding with new managers (I hear that the Cubs are going to try to deal Contreras and possibly more players). The Reds are talented, but their pitching is questionable at times. I think the Central is open for quite some time between us and the Brewers, and the Brewers' pitching doesn't scare me, Hader aside.

I think he offered money to Ozuna for the draft pick. Point is, Ozuna is no Holliday. Holliday was an awful fielder, but when healthy, he was a top hitter. Ozuna has only one year of being a top hitter, and that's proven to be a mirage. And say what you want about Holliday's fielding, but the dude had an arm. Ozuna has neither fielding nor arm, and he's only getting worse with time.

I mentioned Carpenter as designated for assignment. That's what I would do. The extra term that Mozeliak/Girsch gave Carpenter before last season should've been a fireable offense; it was quite easily one of the worst moves I've seen this baseball team make. Edman was flat-out better than Carpenter, both offensively and defensively, and as much as I loved what Carpenter did in the past, he's clearly not the same player, and likely never will be the same player again.

Fowler and Jose Martinez, I'd trade, if I can. Neither of them will get much, and you'd probably have to retain salary, but the point is clearing spots for the outfield. I'd like to see what Bader, O'Neill, Thomas, Arozarena, and others (Dylan Carlson comes to mind) can do.

Also, forgot to mention pitching. Cecil and Leone should also be DFA'd. Wainwright should be a re-sign because we simply don't have much else.

Then there's the forty-man roster protection to consider. Woodford and Montero, in particular, should be protected, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Carlson somewhere on that list very soon.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Stanton is a great player and whether he has a great year or not, he’s been a terrible fit. Eats up 30+ mill of payroll, and either is a liability in the OF or clogging up the DH spot. I imagine Andujar will start the year in either AA or AAA playing 1B.
going to be interesting for sure

I'd rather Andujar at DH. Stanton is nearly untradeable, especially after an injury riddled season. They've proven they can win without him.

For all of the Yankees stacking of homerun power they ironically get beaten in the homerun lead by Minnesota. I guess with both Stanton and Judge healthy all year the Yankees likely take the homerun title. But big lanky swingers have more holes in their swing. So give me some higher average hitters or a doubles guy like Andujar any day. Andujar may start in the minors but I expect him to make his way back to the majors.

I wonder what will become of German. His charges seem to be pretty serious. He was very good last year. Jordan Montgomery should be back but I still expect a move for a pitcher. I've read some promising things about the new pitching coach, Matt Blake. Some articles call him a pitching guru. I hope they are right.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
The Cubs and Pirates are rebuilding with new managers (I hear that the Cubs are going to try to deal Contreras and possibly more players). The Reds are talented, but their pitching is questionable at times. I think the Central is open for quite some time between us and the Brewers, and the Brewers' pitching doesn't scare me, Hader aside.

I think he offered money to Ozuna for the draft pick. Point is, Ozuna is no Holliday. Holliday was an awful fielder, but when healthy, he was a top hitter. Ozuna has only one year of being a top hitter, and that's proven to be a mirage. And say what you want about Holliday's fielding, but the dude had an arm. Ozuna has neither fielding nor arm, and he's only getting worse with time.

I mentioned Carpenter as designated for assignment. That's what I would do. The extra term that Mozeliak/Girsch gave Carpenter before last season should've been a fireable offense; it was quite easily one of the worst moves I've seen this baseball team make. Edman was flat-out better than Carpenter, both offensively and defensively, and as much as I loved what Carpenter did in the past, he's clearly not the same player, and likely never will be the same player again.

Fowler and Jose Martinez, I'd trade, if I can. Neither of them will get much, and you'd probably have to retain salary, but the point is clearing spots for the outfield. I'd like to see what Bader, O'Neill, Thomas, Arozarena, and others (Dylan Carlson comes to mind) can do.

Also, forgot to mention pitching. Cecil and Leone should also be DFA'd. Wainwright should be a re-sign because we simply don't have much else.

Then there's the forty-man roster protection to consider. Woodford and Montero, in particular, should be protected, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Carlson somewhere on that list very soon.
Edman is still an unknown. Sure he has produced very well when asked but his pitching book hasn't been written about him. If he can stay ahead of the pitchers he looks to be a very special player. If Bader could hit I'd be satisfied but pure defense as ca center fielder is a liability as a starting nine. O'Neill has power and an arm but batting for average is a must.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not really hot stove but man his needs to happen. If there’s a cap there needs to be a floor and consequences for violating each.

View: https://twitter.com/timbritton/status/1194731545350684673?s=21

I don't understand how some of these teams can sustain a fan base. The tanking is ruining the league. Too many pasties, and not all of them are poor owners. Some, like the Mariners have more money than the Steinbrenners. But Seattle still tore apart a very good team to avoid paying players.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hey Dodger and Cardinal fans. Back by Ellsbury is available. The Yankees just released him.

One of the worst signings Cashman has ever made. I hated the move. You could see he was on the downside of his career right away, plus he was a Boston Red Sox player...ewwwww! I never could wrap my full fandom around former Sox that became Yankees. Boggs was the closest I came to cheering for one but even that was a struggle. Never liked Clemens, nor Ellsbury.