MLB Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, the first round of the MLB draft happened today, and I'm really happy with the first round pick of the Cardinals. Nolan Gorman is the slugging third baseman that we desperately needed. Adding a solid pitcher who has the best slider in the class (Griffin Roberts) and a slugging first baseman (Luken Baker) only helps, and we're not even at the third round yet!

Who did your teams get?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Yankees drafted three catchers. Ziegler was the first rounder. He switch hits and switch pitches, but the Yankees are suddenly short on quality catching prospects in the minors. They took Breaux in round 2. They have a few possible gems in later rounds but, I have a hard to.e getting excited about drafted players. The minor league development time can take years and many prospects become trade bait before reaching New York. Many are out of the league in a few years. It's tough to predict who makes it to the Bigs and who doesn't. Aaron Judge was a first round supplemental pick. The Yankees picked two players ahead of him, that aren't as good.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Giants got Catcher Joey Bart -Georgia Tech with the 2nd pick. His scouting reports are very simliar to Buster Posey. I really like this pick with Posey getting older and I could see the Giants moving Posey to 1st base to prolong his career while moving Belt to the outfield.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Memento
What's the pulse of the Cards these days? Wondering if/how the Cards match up with the Yankees for a trade.
You guys have some nice depth there.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My nephew, a Junior at Cal, was drafted by the Brewers in the later rounds this year. He came to terms with them over the weekend after negotiating a bit. It will be interesting to see how it pans out after watching him play growing up. He’s a pitcher now and is 6’3” with a slim build. A lot of work is still ahead of him, hopefully he’ll be traded to the Dodgers. He’d probably rather be close to home with the Giants or A’s though.

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Memento
What's the pulse of the Cards these days? Wondering if/how the Cards match up with the Yankees for a trade.
You guys have some nice depth there.

The Cards are in limbo, to be truthful. Dexter Fowler was a bad signing for the outfield. Brett Cecil and Greg Holland (relievers) didn't work out.

I think that they're probably going to trade Jose Martinez. He's an awesome hitter, but his defense is atrocious. Easily the worst defender I've ever seen, even at first base/left field. We have Matt Carpenter at first anyway, so Martinez is a trade candidate.

Jedd Gyorko (third base/utility) is another trade candidate. Good hitter, but his contract is at an end this year, I believe.

Tommy Pham is yet another trade candidate. If you want a talented center fielder who can do it all, he's your man. He's also under arbitration control for a few more years, even though he's almost thirty.

I believe that they're going to be sellers at the deadline. Our GM probably disagrees. We'll see.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Cards are in limbo, to be truthful. Dexter Fowler was a bad signing for the outfield. Brett Cecil and Greg Holland (relievers) didn't work out.

I think that they're probably going to trade Jose Martinez. He's an awesome hitter, but his defense is atrocious. Easily the worst defender I've ever seen, even at first base/left field. We have Matt Carpenter at first anyway, so Martinez is a trade candidate.

Jedd Gyorko (third base/utility) is another trade candidate. Good hitter, but his contract is at an end this year, I believe.

Tommy Pham is yet another trade candidate. If you want a talented center fielder who can do it all, he's your man. He's also under arbitration control for a few more years, even though he's almost thirty.

I believe that they're going to be sellers at the deadline. Our GM probably disagrees. We'll see.
Any pitchers available?

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any pitchers available?

Not really. Wacha is out with an injury. Carlos Martinez was injured early in the season with a lat strain. Alex Reyes and Wainwright are on the 60 day DL.

We really can't afford to trade any starters, and all of the pitchers in the bullpen - Jordan Hicks aside - are probably worse than yours, and we're not trading Hicks.