Michael Sam: I'd Still Be In the NFL if I Hadn't Come Out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Well there's that and also that you started out by doing self-promotion, and the fact that you are a tweener, not strong enough and not fast enough to play your position at the NFL level. Most of us would give our left nut for the opportunities you were given. But continue on.
*********************************************************************************
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/michael-sam-still-nfl-he-827287

Michael Sam: I'd Still Be In the NFL if I Hadn't Come Out
michael_sam_own_documentary_a_l.jpg

Michael Sam/Courtesy of OWN
by Ryan Parker

"I have no regrets whatsoever," Sam says.

Michael Sam could very well still be playing in the NFL had he not come out as gay, the former St. Louis Ram told sportscaster Dan Patrick on Friday.

Sam, who played defensive end at the University of Missouri before being drafted into the NFL, told Patrick becoming a media spectacle was never a part of his plan, and may have hurt his first shot at professional football.

"I wanted to come out after I made an NFL roster, it really wasn't supposed to be public," Sam said on the Dan Patrick Show during a 13-minute interview. "It was just supposed to be to the team, as I did at the University of Missouri."

But some reporters were aware of his sexuality, and Sam feared they would break the news, which he wanted to do on his own terms, he said.

"I wanted to be the one to tell my own story. I didn't want someone telling it for me," said Sam, who was the recipient of the 2014 Arthur Ashe Courage Award.

Then Patrick asked Sam if coming out hurt his professional career.

"I'm not going to say ... but it probably would have been better for me if I didn't come out, I would be on a roster," Sam said. "But, as I said, I have no regrets whatsoever."

Sam was cut by the Rams before the start of the 2014 regular season, having been beat for a roster spot by Ethan Westbrooks. From there, he was claimed by the Dallas Cowboys for their practice squad, but ultimately cut again.

Sam had a short stint in the Canadian Football League before returning to the University of Missouri to pursue a master's degree.

Sam, who called himself "a damn good" football player, said he still wants to play in the NFL and is training for that opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=4&v=7CiCmAfnEr4
--------
He couldn't cut it in the Canadian Football League, but we're supposed to believe he can in the NFL?
-------
I watched Sam play with Montreal and he looked pretty good. He didn't get cut from the CFL. He quit on them. The guy can play, but he seems to be a head case, and most teams won't be willing to deal with that.
-------
No, he never would have gotten a second or third chance were it not for the attention he got. He's a horseshit player.
-------
Last time I checked there are lots of SEC defensive players of the year that couldn't cut it in the NFL. Your name is now added to that list.

Sam, you are WAY TOO SLOW to play in the NFL.
-------
Quit kidding yourself, Sam. You were a good defensive end in college, you really were and you were rightly honored for your work on the field. But that doesn't mean you were cut out for the NFL. Your combine was horrible and I personally think you used your sexual orientation as a way to offset your lack of production during those trials. In other words, you thought "I can't be cut because I'm gay."

Fact: People were judging you by your abilities on the football field, nothing else. I know you and a lot of other people want to view this as more evidence that America hates gays and that you cannot get a fair shake. But, we all know that's not the case. So, quit complaining. Get out there and work your ass off and get back in the game. And if you cannot do that, find something else to do with your life.

How many Heismann winners never made it in professional football? Why do you think you are special? If it's because you're gay, then you are guilty of holding the same double standard you accuse others of having. YOu can't claim discrimination and then also demand to be treated differently because you are gay.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

if you can play nfl teams don't give a shit about your personal problems. the ravens kept ray lewis and for all we know he slashed two men to death. you have talent, you play in this league.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Just shut the fuck up Sam. You weren't good enough. This is your fault. Just stop.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He'd still be in the NFL if he was good enough. No other reason.

I agree with Sam. No way does the SEC Defensive Player of the Year with no off-field issues get taken in the seventh round and not make a 53 man roster if he's straight IMO. Now, I do believe that him and Ethan Westbrooks were fairly even in their battle to make the roster in 2013, but I still believe they went with Westbrooks not because their homophobic, but possibly to avoid excessive media pressure.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh. He would've at least bounced around on a couple of rosters before being out of the league

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
More time with the playbook and less with Oprah...
I'm just sayin'!

fancents86

Starter
This has been beaten to death before, nothing new to really say, but like Mitch, I believe he would have gone sooner in the draft than he did if he had come out after. If it wasn't for Westbrooks I feel he did enough to earn his spot on a roster here.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm not saying he's right, but I thought he looked really good for us in preseason. I figured he'd at least get a solid PS spot somewhere for a considerable length of time.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeah, but not because the NFL is homophobic, but because your ridiculous circus wouldn't scare everyone away.

It's your own damn fault Sam. Now sleep in the bed you made.

TexasRam

Legend
In the "Not for long" league coaches don't have time with personal considerations.

You help the team and you have a spot. Otherwise you are gone.

Michael Sam's combine was eye opening for most teams and why he fell in the draft. He was real slow and lacked the times and athletic movement to play at the next level.

Put on the tape in preseason and it confirms what the combine showed.

There is more to a DE then getting to the Qb in preseason. And all the teams saw that.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
If someone believes what he's saying then they must not have been paying attention to the NFL lately. If you can play, you'll be on a team. This has been seen over and over with guys with single or multiple problems in their lives. Does that also mean he would still be in the Canadian league too if he didn't come out? Just stop.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm going to see if I can get he and Tebow to do a national tour where they debate onstage about important things they would like to talk about and discuss.

OK wait, that's a bad idea.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why do you think you are special? If it's because you're gay, then you are guilty of holding the same double standard you accuse others of having. YOu can't claim discrimination and then also demand to be treated differently because you are gay.
Boom.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Damn, I had already lost a lot of respect for him, but it's officially gone.
Yep, I tried to stand by him because he's a Mizzou boy, but he's definitely milking this for all it's worth. It has absolutely nothing to do with taking a stand anymore and all to do with whatever he can do to get back those fleeting 5 minutes of fame.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with a lot of you guys. He wasn't good enough, period. As for whether he should have "come out"..Didn't all of Columbia know? Does he really think this wouldn't have come out if he didn't officially announce it?

Now if you ask me if another similarly skilled player headed for a practice squad over him because of his sexual orientation..yeah, I think teams were saying "Why the headache?"

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
I'm going to see if I can get he and Tebow to do a national tour where they debate onstage about important things they would like to talk about and discuss.

OK wait, that's a bad idea.
I don't care who you are... that shits funny.lmao