Michael Irvin: Significant people talking about Cowboys trading Prescott, Signing Brady

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
MICHAEL IRVIN: ‘VERY SIGNIFICANT PEOPLE’ TALKING ABOUT COWBOYS TRADING DAK PRESCOTT, SIGNING TOM BRADY

Though the Dallas Cowboys have publicly stated that Tom Brady is not a player of interest amid the ongoing contract discussions with Dak Prescott, many aren’t buying it.

Speaking about that very topic Friday on WEEI’s “Dale & Keefe,” NFL Network’s Michael Irvin, who remains very plugged in with his former team, shared a shocking conversation he had with “very significant people.”

Essentially, the people he was speaking with thought the Cowboys could use the franchise tag on Prescott, trade him afterward and then sign Tom Brady.

View: https://twitter.com/dalekeefeweei/status/1225871686425292800?s=21

“I AM TELLING YOU RIGHT NOW, AT THE SUPER BOWL IN MIAMI, SOME VERY SIGNIFICANT PEOPLE THAT I HAD CONVERSATIONS (WITH WERE) LEANING IN THAT SAME DIRECTION,” IRVIN SAID. “IT WAS SHOCKING. I HAD A VODKA CRANBERRY IN MY HAND AND WHEN THEY SAID IT TO ME I PUT THE DRINK DOWN AND SAID, ‘LET’S TALK A LITTLE BIT MORE ABOUT THIS.’ I PROMISE YOU, I HAD A CONVERSATION WITH PEOPLE, I CAN’T TELL YOU WHO, ABOUT THAT SAME SCENARIO GOING DOWN.”

What’s even more fascinating is that Irvin isn’t the only former Cowboys receiver who has talked about a similar potential scenario. Terrell Owens recently shared his feeling that the Cowboys don’t believe in Prescott and could sign Brady instead.

The Cowboys have repeatedly stated that Prescott is “the man” going forward and that he’s going to land a huge contract extension. But until something actually happens on that front, the rumors will persist.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cowboys’ Prescott Rejected Massive Deal in Hopes of Eclipsing Rival QB: Report

The prevailing narrative regarding Dak Prescott has been that he’s pining for a contract with an average annual value of $40 million, shattering the NFL’s current quarterback market.

A lesser-known, similarly-unconfirmed desire for Prescott, according to Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, is to usurp Seattle signal-caller Russell Wilson, who’s taking home $35 million per season as part of his four-year, $140 million deal, inked in April 2019.

So, last September, when the Dallas Cowboys presented Dak with an offer that fell short of both his $40 million pipedream and Wilson’s yearly pay, Hill reported Friday, the two-time Pro Bowl passer told the team thanks but no thanks.

“The two sides came close to deal in September on a contract that would have paid him roughly $33 million annually, sources said, before talks broke down when Prescott upped his asking price,” Hill wrote.

Fast-forward to February.

Slow-rolling negotiations, which began in the 2019 offseason, purportedly reached an “impasse”several months later; a long-term pact does not appear to be on the horizon, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Sunday. In fact, it’s likelier Dallas applies the franchise tag to Prescott, who recently expressed disappointment over oft-stalled discussions and contempt toward the tag, which would pay him approximately $27 million guaranteed for 2020.

“We’ll get to that when we get to that,” he told reporters last week, via the Dallas Morning News. “I look forward to talking to my agents and when that [franchise tag] comes to play, the direction that we’ll go. Until that’s a reality, I won’t worry about it. But I do feel like some of this should get done. I’m a little disappointed that it hasn’t, but that’s part of it.”

Prescott, who walked back previous contractual optimism, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on March 18. The deadline to use the tag is March 10, after which the team would have until July 15 to lock him down beyond next season.

The Cowboys will take north of $77 million in salary-cap room into free agency, and retaining the organizational cornerstone is the brain trust’s admitted top priority in the weeks ahead.

“I don’t want to get into the details, but we have offered him significant money,” Jones said, via the Star-Telegram. “The money we have offered Dak no matter how you look at it would put him as a top five quarterback in the NFL. That is the way we feel about him. He is one of the best.”

Using what little leverage he has, Prescott — fresh off a career season in which he set new personal bests with 4,902 passing yards and 30 touchdowns — wouldn’t commit to showing his face at Cowboys headquarters, nor even training in North Texas, absent a new contract.

Jones once again used the U-word — “urgent” — to signify the importance of signing Prescott and, by association, avoiding a potential holdout. It’s a fine line the club must walk, hopeful to break the bank on its field general while also attempting to keep his number one wide receiver, Amari Cooper, and, perhaps, the Cowboys’ best cornerback, Byron Jones, both of whom, like Prescott, are unrestricted free agents.

A line they’re comfortable toeing so long as the dominos start falling. Soon.

“We want to get this done,” Jones said, per the Star-Telegram. “Things are fixing to heat up. We want to put every foot forward and try to grind this out and get a deal done.”

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This presents a very interesting scenario for Dallas to potentially get a couple 1'st round draft picks which could later be used to move back up the chart for another QB to mentor under Brady for a year or two. They also have the CAP space to pay Brady.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This presents a very interesting scenario for Dallas to potentially get a couple 1'st round draft picks which could later be used to move back up the chart for another QB to mentor under Brady for a year or two. They also have the CAP space to pay Brady.

It seemed outlandish to me at first glance, but I posted it for this reason.

It is a possible scenario. Even if long shot.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It seemed outlandish to me at first glance, but I posted it for this reason.

It is a possible scenario. Even if long shot.

It makes beating a Brady lead Cowyboys team even more inspiring should they get that first game of the season as we open our new L.A. Stadium. This would be a proportionally epic sized league TV season opening with A-List celebrities, Stan Kroenke, Jerry Jones, Brady, the Rams/Cowboys and the 8'th Wonder of the World (Sofi) all competing for attention. What a spectacle, and the ticket prices might compete with the Super Bowl for this match-up. jmo.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What a perfect place for the cheater to go to be hated even more, if that's possible.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Again to a degree trading him could be difficult because a team is going have to sign Prescott to a massive deal right from the outset and the beauty of drafting a quality QB who is really good is the money you're paying him.

The Rams were able to add quality pieces to their team before paying Goff and a team that was 4-12 in 2016 was in the Super Bowl two years later. The Kansas City Chiefs also with a rookie QB contract just want the big dance so the teams like the Dolphins or others might be thinking drafting a QB is a better option and in fact, the Cowboys are thinking that too as they will sign Brady to a two year deal and draft his replacement.

Couple teams could step up for the trade like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or the Indianapolis Colts, everyone talking about Miami because of all the assets the Dolphins have, but IMO, the Dolphins have a plan and they are sticking to it, they won't be trading for Dak or Todd Gurley, they will continue to draft players now and add free agents down the road IMHO.

Colts seem like the trading partner, they have the cap room and are looking to rebound from losing Andrew Luck and those fans have been spoiled at QB and might be unwilling to wait. Keep in mind, if the plan is to draft a QB, the Bucs might feel they are only a QB away and that their Head Coach Bruce Arians does not have much time left...Both teams draft 13 & 14 respectively so they would leave Jordan Love of Utah State or Jacob Eason of Washington on the Board for Dallas and I could see a Colt deal as most likely.

As to Tom Brady in Dallas, I would love it because as all of you know I go to Dallas/Fort Worth every year and would enjoy taking in a game and would fully enjoy watching Tom Brady implode right before my very eyes and then the Cowboys turn to Jordan Love or same say is Dak Prescott 2.0.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Over 2mil a game and its not enough for Dak? I bet he gets franchise tagged. Owners are insane. Mahomes is going to get 40mil+ a year.

Won't be long before we see billion $$$ contracts and nosebleed seats for a thousand $$ for preseason games.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Dak is a good QB. The contracts for "good" QB's is getting out of control. It's almost like the rookie #1 QB contracts that they had to fix. It is killing teams.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Be interesting to see how this dynamic (mega costly FA qb's) plays out.

Our experiment with bargain basement replacements in front of our $$$ franchise QB was moderately successful.

I hope during the offseason Goff is practicing on becoming more of a supremely accurate, Brady - like, quick hitting artist. That, and rollouts.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If I were a GM in today's league I would have an offensive genius type head coach running the show with 3 QBs on my roster in various stages of development. And the starter would be on his rookie deal.

When the starter hits FA either let him roll out to another team who pays him stupid money, OR tag and trade him. Either way a QB has to be drafted every other year at a minimum to ensure good enough competition and quality so I could spend the big money on the rest of the team.

EDIT: Oh and the same goes for RB. I would not pay either offensive backfield position.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I just don't see Brady leaving New England unless he retires for good. IMO hes not going anywhere he just likes being the center of attention and since he wasnt in the superbowl this is his way of staying relevant.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And btw re: the Cowpokes signing Brady... I hope they are that stupid. I really do.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Despite othe teams wanting brady hes not going anywhere. Hell get a 2 year deal from NE.