Merlin's First (and Probably Only) 2020 Offseason Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So before I begin playing make believe GM here I believe the important thing to consider is “what is our goal as a team?” What type of team do the Rams want to be?

Offensively they want to be balanced and the failure of the GM position to get the team there began during the 2019 offseason. In 2018 the Rams’ offense was exposed by the Bears who took away the run game and demonstrated that they could not beat you with a one-dimensional passing game. Outside of a short window of games where CJ Anderson gave us an ability to beat defensive fronts, this problem with the run game has been a consistent issue. The Rams are now officially a finesse offense not a balanced offense. This is the second offseason now since that Bears’ game and the loss in the Super Bowl and it’s time to get that right.

Defensively they want to stop the run. This is not new, and in fact has been a problem for the Rams through multiple coaching staffs. It was a problem for Fisher and his DCs who never consistently got this defense to stuff the run, and it’s been a problem under Wade largely because they didn't have the horses to reinvest in the defensive front. If you want to be an elite defense, you have to be able to stuff the run and put teams in repeated third and long situations. Now the good thing here is the secondary looks fantastic (which means we should be good vs the pass which is a big part of scoring defense), but the Rams need to be shrewd in adding some key pieces up front to bolster the front seven for playoff and divisional matchups.

One more note is to remember that as much as I liked the 2019 roster they weren’t good enough. And that is the only thing that matters. So let’s do this thing…

TRADE

OLB Dante Fowler traded for a round 3 pick. He may not bring that, but I feel that’s a roughly fair range for the film he put up in 2019 which was exceptional.

CUTS

RB Malcolm Brown. I have zero use for a depth RB who hasn’t been available when I need him two years running.

CB Nickell Roby Coleman. Good player and nickel back but he’s being paid too much and I like our options to replace him at a cheaper cost. Trading him is possible but there will be enough circus around trying to move Fowler in a tag ‘n trade deal.

S Eric Weddle. He’s a box safety now and a marginal one, and we have two young box safeties that are better and cheaper.

OLB Clay Matthews. Depending on how contracts go I think Clay might be a guy we can keep and it might be wise given how different he looked before his injury. But chances are we’ll need the space.

RAMS’ FREE AGENTS

1579644752472.png

I would only bring Whit back on a reasonable deal that helps the team which is a tough thing to ask him for. So at this point I am planning on him being gone even though I do love the guy and recognize his leadership. If he does elect to stick around it’s a bonus, but IMO the Rams have to dive into the deep end and finish their OL rebuild with PERMANENT vice temporary pieces. That is crucial IMO. And btw if he doesn’t want to return I would have a coaching staff position offer on the table for him too.

Of the RFA types Mundt needs to be aggressively tendered. IMO he might be an important piece in 2020 and I would be wary of some team trying to nab him so ensure compensation is sufficient if he’s signed away.

Zuerlein has had a down season before. I would bet on him bouncing back by locking him up for a few more years and hopefully a modest rate given his down year.

Last but not least I would sign Jalen Ramsey NOW. He’s not a guy who handles being tagged well. He’s also a guy the Rams gave up two high picks for. So there is zero reason to eff around. Top corners are currently at $15M I believe, he’s gonna make more than that. He is slated to make $13M this season under his current contract, so IMO get him locked up long term and adjust the early cap as needed. If the Rams don’t do this, they will lose him in FA or end up needing to trade him either of which are not ideal.

FREE AGENT ADDITIONS

C Conner McGovern (Broncos). Denver ate a couple seasons of development with him and he finally developed with a lot of credit being given to Munchak and deservedly so (he is a fine OL coach). But Denver also went back to the ZBS in 2019 which I think played a big part in McGovern’s positive showing. He is a fit, and he’s young at 27 and might still have his best ball ahead. Denver might very well tag him or get him signed, but he’s been better in pass pro than the run game so I believe he’ll hit FA and if so the Rams are weaker at Center than they are at Guard so he makes sense as a plug ‘n play signing. One silver lining here too is that Center is cheaper than Guard on the market, about $3M less at the top. Now all that aside if he doesn’t hit FA then I think Guard becomes more likely as that “settle down the interior” addition.

S Haha Clinton-Dix (Bears). I wanted this dude last year because I felt like we have a safety room full of guys who are moreso SS than FS. We got Weddle instead, who was also moreso a SS than a FS. Rams’ defense struggled in zone terribly, but they are also limited in cover 1 looks because they don’t have a guy who can be a ballhawk threat in the deep middle. HCD will change that and change the way our defense plays certain down/distances. With him deep middle, two safeties who can cover and tackle well underneath in JJ and Rapp, and our corners watch the F out if you want to pass vs the Rams’ defense.

DRAFT

*** Rams have additional round 3 pick due to Fowler trade.
*** Rams trade down from round 2 into round 3, and pick up a round 4 pick. I really like the talent level from our second round spot down through round 3.

3. DT Leki Fotu, Utah. Big (6’5” 335) and physical 1T who has good get off on the snap but who will be available to us because he’s not a consistently dominant nose on the interior. IMO he is an ideal fit for our defense because he’ll one-gap and he is also a nice talent fit to slide out to 5T where there’s less of the things that give him problems. I love this guy and he is the kind of player our defense needs to get where they want to go.

3. DL Ross Blacklock, TCU. Powerful lineman who can crush the pocket, also squirrely and hard for OL to lock up. Good sized (6’4” 305) DL who is capable of competing at 5T and giving us depth across the DL.

3. ILB Malik Harrison, Ohio St. This is the type of backer we see teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore draft, the guy who is wired to get physical in the box and fill holes downhill. The type of player we need in this defense. At 6’3” 240 he’s big, physical, and has good closing speed not to mention he plays mean. Marginal pass defender, will need work there but this guy fits.

4. DL Nick Coe, Auburn. I like this guy for 5T depth but he has the strength on tape vs good opponents that makes me think he might do well inside too. Good size (6’5” 291) and a depth/competition addition to our front seven.

4. C/OG Lloyd Cushenberry, LSU. Another physical line of scrimmage addition who will slot into our depth at both center and guard. If he comes in hot he is talented enough to challenge Corbett at LG

4. OT Hakeem Adeniji, Kansas. Tons of snaps and experience as LT for Kansas but will need to get stronger at the NFL level. Project type to slot into our depth chart and will probably get the Kromer crosstraining as OG depth his rookie season.

4. OLB Alton Robinson, Syracuse. Raw and high upside talent who needs work, can slot right into our depth chart and help build that young edge pipeline and rotation we will be relying on this season. Has the size (6’4” 260) and physicality to play strong side early on if and when he sees the field.

6. RB AJ Dillon, Boston College. I think this guy might be able to do some fullback for us if McVay draws it up, but basically he is a 6’ and 250lb physical masher type replacement for Brown. Gurley is going to get the carries, but this guy can take the rock when you have a lead, short yardage situations, redzone, or whenever TG needs a blow and we want to crush some defense.

7. QB Nate Stanley, Iowa. Big QB and pocket passer who is solid to good but not great at everything. Looks like he might be able to stick as a backup QB.

DEPTH CHART

WR: Kupp, Webster
TE: Higbee, Everett, Mundt, Blanton
LT: Evans, Noteboom, Adeniji
LG: Corbett, Shelton
C: McGovern, Allen
RG: Edwards, Cushenberry
RT: Havenstein, Brewer
WR: Cooks, Reynolds
WR: Woods
QB: Goff, Wolford, Stanley
RB: Gurley, Henderson, Dillon, Kelly

Offense notes: would have liked to spend more draft capital on offensive linemen but we get one interior and one potential LT in the pipeline. Cushenberry insulates us at 3 positions inside and provides competition which is crucial IMO. Depth is very flexible with Shelton also backing up 3 positions inside and Brewer filling the primary depth role at RT. LT is the biggest question mark, but this line is built to run the ball and that run game balance along with play action is going to be required to support our passing game and that approach does work. And when Boom gets back hopefully he’ll provide primary LT depth.

3T: Donald, Blacklock
1T: Fotu, SJD, Gaines
5T: Fox, Coe
OLB: Ebukam, Okoronkwo, Patrick, Polite, Robinson
SILB: Harrison, Reeder, Kiser
ILB: Howard, Young
CB: Ramsey, Hill, Long, Deayon, Williams
S: Clinton-Dix, Johnson, Rapp, Scott, Gervase

Defense notes: the influx of front seven talent is required IMO. We have to be more stout vs the run and our new DC is used to better talent at linebacker so Harrison was a requirement IMO. Howard fills the Littleton role of 3rd down much cheaper. And on the back end we will be much more varied and dangerous in pass defense and there is room for creativity with the 3 top safeties not to mention the aforementioned improvement in cover 1.

Overall... Is this roster ready to compete with the 9ers? I think so. We needed fresh blood up front defensively, as well as more talent and competition on the OL. Not entirely happy with the OL, however if Corbett tanks in camp Cushenberry is more than capable of sliding in a LG and taking his job. The line will be young and physical so I hope that's enough but let's hear it dudes I know you're ready to crush my feeble attempts at team building!

:p

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Personally, I'd rather invest the fourth round draft pick used on Coe to draft a cornerback. I do not trust Hill to remain consistent, and while I like Long as a nickelback and Darious Williams as depth, I don't see Deayon as any kind of answer either. The cornerback class is deep. Might as well take advantage of it.

Love most of the picks aside from Coe, who is way too sushi-raw and soft for my liking...but even then, I can see why the pick was made in the fourth round. (And I was the one banging the drum for Kpassagnon and Hageman when they were even more raw, so my opinion shouldn't matter that much, haha.)

Any mock draft that features Leki Fotu is good by me. And McGovern is a former Mizzou offensive lineman, so I like that.

Also, why in the name of all that is holy and hellish did you tender Natson?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For those of you who aren't familiar with Dillon, he has a natural low center of gravity and powerful bottom half running style reminiscent of Lynch but more importantly very similar balance through contact. Not really fast but has just enough to make a defense wary.

Yeah I'm bored and gettin ready for bed. So here's a couple vids, the first an entertaining highlight vid, and the second a vid of him vs a far better Clemson team. Enjoy!

Oh and btw on one of the games the color guy notes he hasn't missed a game since high school. (y)

Highlight vid (start at 1:14)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsFIYwg5k-I

Vs Clemson

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxd_u3LNxgY

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One question that pops is Dix?

I guess I disagree about JJ - I think he's a very good FS. Rapp will be a good SS. I'd rather re-sign Christian to play nickel LB than spend on HCD.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just a note but Cushenberry is gone before our 2nd round pick that you traded out of now. He's flying up the boards especially after the show he's putting on this week at the Senior Bowl. Also I get why you're doing it but that's a lot in the DL to put Evans in at LT who was just average at RT this year and bad at LT in camp.

Edit: It's just one snap and like is said Kinlaw got him on the next play but here is the guy who said he was better than AD and is mentioned as a top 10 pick now.

View: https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1219715920265912320

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah that's a damn bummer about Cushenberry. It's like that every year anyway tbh, seems like a lot of board favorites rise come senior bowl time.

But with him it makes sense. He's got film doing the job vs the best conference in college ball so why wouldn't he do well there eh?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One question that pops is Dix?

I guess I disagree about JJ - I think he's a very good FS. Rapp will be a good SS. I'd rather re-sign Christian to play nickel LB than spend on HCD.
Yeah my take on the secondary probably isn't shared by all. Rams probably don't agree either, as proven by last offseason when the safety room was worse and they preferred Weddle.

JJ is very good around the LOS. He tackles well, can cover TEs better than most (he's top third IMO as is Rapp), and plays smart ball. But he's not that guy you fear deep. If the Rams can find that, we're gonna be in business.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also while I'm thinking about it... JJ would probably be a good trade piece. Not that I want to move him, mind you, just sayin.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also while I'm thinking about it... JJ would probably be a good trade piece. Not that I want to move him, mind you, just sayin.

Everett, JJ, Kupp, Woods - they're all good/great players, but there is no way - and I mean no possibly way - that all four get re-signed when their contracts are up. This decision was basically made when we extended Goff and Gurley along with Cooks.

I'm not saying we should trade any of these guys - but only because in the NFL, one year is sometimes all you need. We could win it all next year and those guys would be a big reason why. But if we deemed any of them expendable, they are our best trade chips and at least one or two of them won't be in horns after 2020.