Merlin mock part deux

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Now that the roster needs are clarified post-FA figured I'd take another stab at things just focusing on the draft itself. Which is the fun part. :D

As things stand right now here's how I see our needs...

Starter required: Kicker, Edge, ILB, Center, Nickelbacker/S.
Depth required: LT, WR, TE, RB.

Looking at the above it is very easy for me to get all crazy about wanting a wideout, especially in this draft. And I expect the Rams to prioritize one at some point, maybe even early. But I'm going to focus in on two things: stopping the run, and efficiently running the ball. IMO big improvement in both those areas will put this team into the playoffs.

2. Josh Uche, LB, Michigan. This dude is going to be an elite pro player IMO. He brings excellent flexibility to our new DC as well at a position where we need speed and physicality in the worst way. He can rush the passer and give our edge rotation a boost they badly need. But he also moves extremely well in space and gives the front seven a plus open field tackler whether it's against option QBs or containing speed from the backfield. In the passing game he gets depth very quickly on his drops, so would immediately be able to slide to the WILB post when required and unlike Littleton he is extremely physical for his size and can get dirty with blockers. His weakness off ball would be man coverage, however he has the right skills to be able to excel in that role if required.

2. Matt Hennessy, C, Temple. I don't care that he's typically not valued at the 57 range. I'm no scout but I have watched all the Centers in this draft and to my eye this guy fits in this range and projects extremely well to our OL as our Center of the future. He is fundamentally sound with his technique, smart and plays fast meaning he is quick to pick up stunts or get position to seal off opponents in real time, and most importantly he moves well which is crucial for our scheme. Drafting him gives Kromer a finishing piece at the pivot who will be able to start for us if Blythe struggles or is injured, and mostly finishes the OL rebuild (just LT remaining for next year unfortunately but you can't fix everything in one offseason).

3. Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Arizona St. I don't know that he'll be on the board at 84, but I suspect teams are going to snap up guys like Claypool before him so it feels to me as I look at the wideouts and where I have him slotted right now against the other positions that he fits in that late 2nd into the 3rd range. He's not exactly the ideal McVay wideout, isn't going to eat up DBs with his route tree like Kupp or light up defenses deep like Cooks, but he will add a ton of threat to our jet sweep motion and he'll help reinvigorate a screen game that looked to me like one of the worst in the league last season. I like him well enough in fact (vs the other WR options in this range) that I'd consider trading a player to move up a bit if I needed to and I say player since I prefer not to give up picks to do that.

3. Tanner Muse, S, Clemson. The Rams are going to need a plus sub option who can support in the box but also do a little dropping into coverage and adding sure tackling in space. Muse fits that nickelbacker role very well, doesn't have the freakish stuff like Chinn but is very tough and very smart and I think fits that Fangio style defense very well as a box sub.

4. Lamical Perine, RB, Florida. I had to really control myself here and accept going with a guy who fits what McVay wants vice what I want in a RB. Perine is a nice fit, he's not a guy who will dominate the carries like we'd see if we were to luck out at 52 with a pick like Taylor. Rather he's an "add him to the RB by committee" type which is where I believe the Rams are going at the position. Could have gone some different ways, but Perine had a good Senior Bowl week which is important to Snead and he's a fit.

6. Rodrigo Blankenship, PK, Georgia. I think Bass is gone by round 5, however I couldn't bring myself to use a round 4 pick on him so Blankenship is a nice alternative and he's got the raw talent for our new ST coach to refine. Rams might panic and take a kicker earlier than this, but I think addressing it here is the way to go.

7. Kevin Davidson, QB, Princeton. The QBs I want (Morgan or Gordon) are going to be off the board by this point but them's the breaks. Davidson is a nice fallback option as a smart signal caller who might have the ability to at least function as a backup at the NFL level.

Of the needs above I couldn't get the dev LT just seemed like too great a cost when I could add a player who impacts us sooner with higher likelyhood of hitting. Also TE but I'd think the Rams could attract two or three good UDFA types at the position along with the WRs they will undoubtedly hit hard among that group. IMO that extra round 2 pick and the knowledge that JRey can spell Cooks this season helps us a great deal and wanted to translate that extra pick into meaningful 2020 impact.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's an interesting take. I'm a little shocked you think Bass goes before Blankenship. I don't expect that to happen. I'm also not sold on Tanner Muse in the 3rd round. Love Uche (although, we disagree on his NFL position, as we discussed) and Hennessy. I think Aiyuk can develop into a very productive WR. Just not sold he's the right guy to replace Cooks.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
Love the work you put in, so thank you!

Aiyuk will likely not be there by our third pick, but I also don't think we take him even if available as he doesn't bring anything we don't already have.

Love the Hennesey pick.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I love your draft. Like what you say, Aiyuk will probably be gone sooner, like around #45 IMO. Regarding the Safety / LB, I Like Muse's teammate K'von Wallace better. He's a little smaller but has experience covering the slot, playing deep, patrolling the LOS and defeats blocks better than anyone I've seen at his size.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Any draft that has Matt Hennessy I'm a huge fan of and you did address many needs although I just can't get excited about Lamical Perine, he would be too much of a concern in pass protection and IMO, I don't see him getting better. Agree with @jrry32 that Blankenship will go before Bass, however, some GM likes to prove he's smarter than everybody else and takes the other guy, just to "Take the other guy." if Blankenship falls and ends up in Horns I'm good with that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love your draft. Like what you say, Aiyuk will probably be gone sooner, like around #45 IMO. Regarding the Safety / LB, I Like Muse's teammate K'von Wallace better. He's a little smaller but has experience covering the slot, playing deep, patrolling the LOS and defeats blocks better than anyone I've seen at his size.
Way I see it our DB depth should handle the coverage responsibilities well on the sub nickel/dime package side, but where they're short is the nickelbacker role because of Christian leaving in FA. Physicality is required and there are some good options to choose from at SS in this draft (it's the FS ballhawk types that are in short supply this year IMO) and whoever they pick is going to get a lot of snaps.

Muse has some weaknesses, specifically flipping his hips. But I like his game as a fit for what we need. He is athletic and drops well for zone work, and it's when he's attacking from his drop the guy does his best work. IMO the Rams are going to mix in a lot more zone this year (I think that was part of the reason for the Wade divorce, how bad we continuously were in zone) and need someone to spell Christian. This guy is a sure tackler who will drop pass catchers in his range with satisfying frequency while also giving us some size and physicality from that role.

If they can add a guy like him and an ILB somehow, even an edge type who can sub inside/bring flexibility, I think we'll have enough to show improvement on defense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any draft that has Matt Hennessy I'm a huge fan of and you did address many needs although I just can't get excited about Lamical Perine, he would be too much of a concern in pass protection and IMO, I don't see him getting better. Agree with @jrry32 that Blankenship will go before Bass, however, some GM likes to prove he's smarter than everybody else and takes the other guy, just to "Take the other guy." if Blankenship falls and ends up in Horns I'm good with that.
Yeah wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, nor the last. Just how I see them. I think Bass is going to be fantastic. Check out this "leg talent" just crazy...

View: https://twitter.com/ryanrawlings/status/1221222883029966849

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I like that you didn't take a RB too early.

I LOVE that you tried to land a legit starting Center early.

I'm not too keen on throwing away late round picks on "potential backup" QBs. It's a nice luxury, but the Rams would be better served putting it towards a depth, position player.

I'm not sure yet if I like the Rams trying to land WR early. It's nice to plan ahead, but it's still our deepest position group even after trading cooks and there are more pressing issues.

Speaking of needs, you went for a LB right away. That's the scariest unit right now. Reminds me of how I felt about the OL this time last year. If your guy is the real deal, then that's gold, baby. As for taking a safety, that's no problem here, but I would still rank CB as a bigger need. Yet, your guy can drop into the slot and he's a darn good player.

A kicker is definitely in order and your guy is worth a look.

Excellent work. Thanks for taking the time.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Ya great work @Merlin ! I've seen mocks with LB going later, but if the strength of the draft really is at WR, then it stands to reason that we can get one a bit later & go after an absolute stud LB, something we haven't had in a while. You also address C, a serious need but not with a premium pick, which would be great. Taking a RB later is also a good move, I think we can land a nice complement to Hendo (who I think will bust out if he has a #1b paired with him) in that range.

I also like how you break down where we need starters & where we need depth. Kudos!