MemphisRams 2019 Mock Offseason 1.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I haven't done one of these in awhile and thought it would be fun during some recent down time.

Well here goes.

Notable Re-signings / tenders

Rodger Saffold
Dante Fowler
Corey Littleton (1st Round RFA Tender)
Malcolm Brown (Tender)
Khadarel Hodge (ERFA Tender)

Notable Release
Mark Barron

NOTE: If Suh can be had for $7-$9 million max per year AND/OR Brockers is willing to take a pay cut down to $6 million max next year, I say bring one or both back. Otherwise, I'd say the Rams should move on, pick up a cheaper veteran and some try hard, high motor, lunch pail types to be used more in a rotation next to Donald.

Notable Free Agent Pickups
Robert Griffin III
- Simply put. Jared Goff's new backup.

Benson Mayowa DE/LB, Cardinals - Here's a sleeper who has impressed me in games vs. the Rams. I believe has been miscast as a 4-3 defensive end and could really excel in Wade's defense as an OLB.

Zach Brown ILB, Redskins - From what I've read, he's could be a cap cut after a down season playing with a torn oblique. Brown offers the speed of Barron with more size.

Potential Pickups (One) Dependent upon Brockers OR Suh
Derrick Wolfe, Malik Jackson, or Marcell Dareus
- All are expected to be salary cap cuts or free agents this off season with a deep DT draft looming to lower their potential dollar value.

Position Switch
Samson Ebukam from OLB to ILB

2019 MOCK DRAFT 1.0
This mock draft assumes (hopes upon hope) that the Rams get at least one 3rd round compensatory selection which would go to Jacksonville (Dante Fowler trade) so that the team can keep their orginal 3rd rounder (and an additional 4th at least) despite the injury filled seasons of former Rams Sammy Watkins and Trumaine Johnson.

1st Round
Nasir Adderly, DB, Delaware

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycWYVqASMMI

This kids studies and could be the next Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, or maybe even Ed Reed in the NFL. I've never been much of a fan of drafting a safety in the first round, but a physical safety with speed and instincts, who is capable of playing CB and can potentially lock down some of the better receving TEs in the league could do wonders for any defense.

3rd Round
Porter Gustin, LB, USC

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKCFDqn07y0

Injury plagued final two college seasons could lower his stock enough for the Rams to take a chance upon picking up a potential steal with this freak of nature (That's if he checks out medically). Gustin had 7 1/2 Sacks in his 6 games pre-injury this season.

4th Round
Corey Ballentine, CB, Wasburn

View: https://twitter.com/JimNagy_SB/status/1051175974451208195

Wade Phillip defense works best with corners capable of playing press man coverage. Here's a small school developmental size/speed talent who has the potential to replace Talib or Peters in 2020 brings much needed speed to the secondary. Rams should get a good look at him during Senior Bowl.

4th Round (Projected Comp Pick)
Khalen Saunders/DT/Western Illinois

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqTygqcHeUs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHfmCbnTg8A

Somebody on the DLine has to be able to win one on one matchups when Aaron Donald is double & triple teamed. I nominate a player called the Aaron Donald of the FCS. Saunders could spell Donald and play next to him on passing downs.

5th Round
Donnie Lewis Jr, CB, Tulane

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZShGlivq4Y

Yep. Going back to the secondary well once again just like Snead did with the OLine last year as both Talib and Peters shoud be gone in 2020.

Lewis was often asked to cover an island in man, and he excelled there. That tells you what his coaches thought of him. He has the ideal body type to run downfield with speedsters and mirror quick wideouts in the short-to-intermediate ranges of the field. Lewis is a "stays in the hip pocket of the receiver" type corner; his interception and pass-breakup figures indicate that.[i\]
by Chris Trapasso CBS.com

6th Round
Albert Huggins, DT, Clemson
Talented backup DLineman who could have started elsewhere, but the Tigers are loaded at the position. Playing for the suspended Dexter Lawrence in Championship.
636460296231385069-1111-Clemson-FSU-SecondHalf-0319.JPG

Undrafted FA
Pete Swenson, OLB, Western Illinios

View: https://twitter.com/LouisBing52/status/1072227185585475584

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting choices, don't know some of the players though. A couple thoughts, first you have a lot of money being spent in free agency. RG3 IMO is going to get a nice payday and given either a chance to start or at least start until a rookie pick is ready to go so not sure he'll be very affordable, just a hunch. Secondly I really am not sure I want to go into next year with our ILB issues being addressed by an mediocre vet, that's assuming he gets cut, and an OLB being converted to ILB in his 3rd year in the league. Last thought even with signing Saffold again I don't think we want to not add depth along the OLine.

Good work and interesting ideas, like that you're doing one this early, just personally I'd go in other directions with some of the spots.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting choices, don't know some of the players though. A couple thoughts, first you have a lot of money being spent in free agency. RG3 IMO is going to get a nice payday and given either a chance to start or at least start until a rookie pick is ready to go so not sure he'll be very affordable, just a hunch. Secondly I really am not sure I want to go into next year with our ILB issues being addressed by an mediocre vet, that's assuming he gets cut, and an OLB being converted to ILB in his 3rd year in the league. Last thought even with signing Saffold again I don't think we want to not add depth along the OLine.

Good work and interesting ideas, like that you're doing one this early, just personally I'd go in other directions with some of the spots.

RG III is coming off a one year $1.1 million contract, has only 6 pass attempts this season, and has played in only 8 games in the past 3 seasons. I'd be beyond shocked if he has much of payday or chance to start coming.

The mediocre vet was one of the best ILBs in the league in 2017. And you don't need superstars at the position in Wade's defense.

With 3 rookies selected last year and on the roster and 3 more young Olineman on the practice squad it wouldn't shock me if the Rams don't select another if they don't somehow come up with more picks.That not to say that they won't bring in a unheralded vet or undrafted FA or two like former Kromer OLineman Ryan Groy on a vet minimum deal. But, I didn't see that as a notable entry to list.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great stuff as always.
I love the RGIII idea, I would only hope we double down with drafting a qb as well.
Any TE prospects that interest you?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Arizona Cardinals defensive end Benson Mayowa strips Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff

http://www.nfl.com/player/bensonmayowa/2542009/profile

Arizona Cardinals DE Benson Mayowa recorded six solo tackles, one assisted tackle, and two sacks in their Week 2 matchup against the Los Angeles Rams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Arizona Cardinals DE Benson Mayowa recorded six solo tackles, one assisted tackle, and two sacks in their Week 2 matchup against the Los Angeles Rams.
ok? Never mentioned him just talked about ILB, depth on the OLine and RG3 but that's good to know I guess? I looked into the 1st round pick and so far it looks like about every mock I read has him as a 3rd round pick this Adderly, who I know nothing about other than that.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Love the Adderly pick. He's a damn good safety who has had numerous splash plays (which I value in a safety). The only problem is - right now - he's considered a second round prospect at best. Of course, he has the Senior Bowl to prove me wrong, but as of now, I'd consider trading down and picking him up along with a defensive lineman. Right now, I don't see any safety as a first round pick, but I'd consider Adderly, if he has a dominant Senior Bowl.

Ballentine is another good pick, and he fits the range. No problems there.

Not a fan of Gustin. Way too injury prone for me to consider him.

Not a huge fan of your free agent class, RG3 and Mayowa aside. Dareus is a total headcase, Malik Jackson is terrible, and Wolfe is injury prone. I don't see much potential with Brown over, say, Littleton, who more than deserves a multi-year contract.

Overall, though, any draft with Adderly gets my attention.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pass on RGme. McVay undoubtedly knows all about him from his Skins connection as well.

I really need to watch more film on the DBs too. Hard to say with them also due to impact of 40 times.

Will say I'll be surprised if DL isn't BPA when we pick round one too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Mawoya has been impressive against the Rams. He’d be a good pickup.

I’m fine with a safety in round 1 if he is good. But if he is a project then no thanks. I have not delved into prospects much this year. So, it’s premature for me to say much.

I do think that Oline needs to be addressed. They need a guard or Center or both. Blythe could move to Center or like you said, sign a guy like Groy. But Blythe’s drop in production is a bit worrisome. So more insurance for him maybe good.

Maybe Denny steps up, I have no faith in Allen.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’d move on from Suh. Spend the money elsewhere.

I don’t know if Ebukam has ILB instincts but he looks more like one. I don’t think he would take over for Littleton though.

Zach Brown wouldn’t be a bad pickup if his Onlique is 100%. If not there should be a few others that could be had.