Memphis Rams Mock Offseason 1.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Idk what he ment I'll have to talk to him personally for that info. I'm just going by what you quoted and based of that goff is a franchise quarterback. Guy has never had a losing season while losing very talented players. Made the playoffs 3/4 years. Did Keenum/cassel/dilfer do that? No they didn't so those are bad comps imo.

OK. I guess we are done here. We will have to agree to disagree.

But, if we are going to keep things in that context, one would assume that Michael Brockers, Rob Havenstein, and a few others on the team during this same period of time are franchise types at their positions, too.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Per Ramsey:
"A "franchise quarterback" is a guy capable of delivering wins, regardless of situation and circumstance. These special signal-callers can play without the support of a star receiver or a sturdy offensive line, and they don't need an elite play caller to elevate their game."

That's not Jared Goff.
That's not any QB I can think of. I guess Russell Wilson is the only one close

Malibu

Pro Bowler
The word franchise QB is way over blown. In most minds Goff's not one I feel different. Rodgers, Brees are neither have been to the Superbowl in 10+ years. Rivers is one same with Stafford and Watson none of them have made it too the Superbowl.

It's a team game pure and simple a solid QB which Goff is fine he needs a better OL and a speedy receiver to stretch the field and we will be fine. Now Goff under McVay 3 of the 4 years made the playoffs and went to Superbowl once and his worst season was 9-7 with McVay I would say he qualifies as a solid to top 10 QB.

Hard to analyze your off-season pov because we don't know the NFLs position yet on the cap. I personally think this year should be a gimme because it is not the teams fault why penalize the owners who already took it in the shorts.

Lastly I would not trade Kupp and try and keep Fowler.

TexasRam

Legend
Sorry. But, while he's being paid like one, I don't believe that Jared Goff is a franchise QB.

I agree with Jalen Ramsey's definition of a franchise QB he gave awhile back.

Per Ramsey:
"A "franchise quarterback" is a guy capable of delivering wins, regardless of situation and circumstance. These special signal-callers can play without the support of a star receiver or a sturdy offensive line, and they don't need an elite play caller to elevate their game."

That's not Jared Goff.
Wow that doesn’t seem factual one bit.

Mahomes - Hill, Kelce Reid.
Brady - Evans Godwin, Brown
Rodgers - Adams Lafleur, Oline
Brees - Peyton Thomas, Kamara
Allen - Diggs, Beasley, Oline
Wilson - Metcalf, Lockett. (Lost to Goff twice)
Jackson- 0 points in playoff game
Manning - Harrison, Wayne
Warner- Faulk, Bruce, Holt

The statement is demonstrably
False.

I can name several seasons the above QB’s had that were sub 90 QB rating when they didn’t have the Oline or WR’s. So Elite Qb’s definitely need surrounding talent.

Tano

Legend
Yeah I am going to hate this

Gardner Minshew sucks and you just gutted the team where we won't contend for 10 years again until we find a good to very good QB again. I get it - you like Gardner Minshew - I don't.

Goff may not be your definition of a franchise QB but then who is in this league. Goff is a good to very good (at times) QB who made quite a few bad decisions this year. I am hoping like Jrry has been stating that Goff grows into a franchise QB this year where he doesn't make as many bad decisions. I think he can.

Mahomes
Wilson
Rodgers
Watson (wasn't a winner this year but I do like his talent)
Allen - one year though but I do like his talent

Everyone else that is under 40 is average to good for the most part. None of them are franchise and Gardner Minshew is definitely NOT a franchise QB imho.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I am going to hate this

Gardner Minshew sucks and you just gutted the team where we won't contend for 10 years again until we find a good to very good QB again. I get it - you like Gardner Minshew - I don't.

Goff may not be your definition of a franchise QB but then who is in this league. Goff is a good to very good (at times) QB who made quite a few bad decisions this year. I am hoping like Jrry has been stating that Goff grows into a franchise QB this year where he doesn't make as many bad decisions. I think he can.

Mahomes
Wilson
Rodgers
Watson (wasn't a winner this year but I do like his talent)
Allen - one year though but I do like his talent

Everyone else that is under 40 is average to good for the most part. None of them are franchise and Gardner Minshew is definitely NOT a franchise QB imho.

Just one year for Allen? The Bills went 10-6 last year and Allen threw 20 TD passes. Sound familiar? It's inconsistencies like this that show some bias toward Goff IMO.

However I do agree with your point overall - Allen held the Bills back at times last year, just like Goff did this year, despite both teams winning 10 games.

TexasRam

Legend
Just one year for Allen? The Bills went 10-6 last year and Allen threw 20 TD passes. Sound familiar? It's inconsistencies like this that show some bias toward Goff IMO.

However I do agree with your point overall - Allen held the Bills back at times last year, just like Goff did this year, despite both teams winning 10 games.
The difference is Goff was deadly accurate in the Championship game whereas Allen was off all day throwing nearly 5 picks and missing throws all day.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jesus dudes can we take the Goff acceptance cycle nonsense out of this? It's looking like that's the direction so from there he's taking a shot at how to stack shit. This isn't going to be an easy situation.

Right off the bat I want to say that Kupp for Scherff is an intriguing idea. Doubt Washington would bite on it but I'd do that in a heartbeat and IMO they're likely to move either him or Woody. I was hoping they'd cheap out and let him go in FA and know that's not realistic either though so... I love the idea of getting Scherff and think it would have enormous impact on this roster.

Also I think Minshew is a nice fit for McVay. We are probably looking at a ball control offense in 2021 with a strong line and run game. The third weapon they add in the passing game will be a bit inexperienced and Jefferson is a year two guy so I expect the run game to carry us. Minshew is scrappy as hell I have always liked him and wanted him that year as a depth QB so let's do it.

Brockers is where I think you make your mistake. He's a heart and soul roster piece who played his ass off in 2020. You don't trade that. You trade the piece of shit who fucked off and didn't do a thing (Robinson). And then in your FA and draft approach you don't make up for his loss or the loss of Floyd so we'd be very weak on the edge next season.

Also in losing Fox the rotation is very weak and I don't see where you addressed that either.

Not deep enough yet in draft stuff to comment too much on your picks other than you addressed Center, I really like what I've seen from Eskeridge, and Ehlinger looks like a nice fit for the way things seem to be trending in the Rams' backfield.

Nice job man. :beer2: :cool:

Tano

Legend

I watched over half the games the year prior and Allen sucked on his passes.

He won almost all those games because of the defense and his running ability.

His accuracy was horrible.

Goff has accuracy. If he had any time on a consistent basis, he would be a very good QB.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched over half the games the year prior and Allen sucked on his passes.

He won almost all those games because of the defense and his running ability.

His accuracy was horrible.

Goff has accuracy. If he had any time on a consistent basis, he would be a very good QB.

Which, again, shows some extreme bias. Allen was inaccurate, sure - but he made up for that with his running ability.

In terms of the impact at QB, Allen in 2019 = Goff in 2020. Which is probably being generous to Goff because on top of having similar stats/turnovers and win/loss record, Allen engineered five game winning drives that year while Goff engineered one this year.

Allen was also sacked 38 times and his best WR was.....actually I don't know. Can't remember to even name them.

FWIW, I watched all the Rams games this year and in quite a few, Goff "sucked on his passes" too.

Tano

Legend
Which, again, shows some extreme bias. Allen was inaccurate, sure - but he made up for that with his running ability.

In terms of the impact at QB, Allen in 2019 = Goff in 2020. Which is probably being generous to Goff because on top of having similar stats/turnovers and win/loss record, Allen engineered five game winning drives that year while Goff engineered one this year.

Allen was also sacked 38 times and his best WR was.....actually I don't know. Can't remember to even name them.

FWIW, I watched all the Rams games this year and in quite a few, Goff "sucked on his passes" too.
And I say you have extreme bias against Goff so who is right?

And I have stated Goff sucked on a lot of his decision making.

His passes however didn't suck for the most part except for a couple really bad throws which I have already stated were horrible throws. In addition, I have already admitted many times that Goff's long passes seem to be off this year and I have stated that I hope he works on his throws.

Buffalo however would not have gone anywhere this year if Allen didn't dramatically improve his accuracy which he did and surprised the hell out of me because his accuracy was crapola in 2019.

Maybe Goff will surprise the hell out of you next year.

And Allen being mobile may hurt him in the long run. I saw some hits on him this year that I told my wife - one really bad hit and he will be done or way below par. Seen it happen many times. Wentz, Minnesota QB in the late 90s, Bridgewater (however that was a weird injury), etc.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Sorry but Minshew is not an upgrade or even close to being one over Jared and Ehlinger is uninspiring from what I've seen of him add that to trading Kupp and we've severely weakened our offense. Not a fan but as always appreciate all the effort into putting these together.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I say you have extreme bias against Goff so who is right?

And I have stated Goff sucked on a lot of his decision making.

His passes however didn't suck for the most part except for a couple really bad throws which I have already stated were horrible throws. In addition, I have already admitted many times that Goff's long passes seem to be off this year and I have stated that I hope he works on his throws.

Buffalo however would not have gone anywhere this year if Allen didn't dramatically improve his accuracy which he did and surprised the hell out of me because his accuracy was crapola in 2019.

Maybe Goff will surprise the hell out of you next year.

And Allen being mobile may hurt him in the long run. I saw some hits on him this year that I told my wife - one really bad hit and he will be done or way below par. Seen it happen many times. Wentz, Minnesota QB in the late 90s, Bridgewater (however that was a weird injury), etc.

In situations like this it's pretty easy to prove I have no bias against Goff. People tend to fall into three groups:

People that want Goff to fail

People that want Goff to succeed (not the Rams - Goff)

People who just want the Rams to succeed.

I'm firmly in the third camp. I don't care about any individual player - if AD had two seasons of the DT equivalent of the seasons Goff just had, I'd be screaming for the Rams to trade him. He wouldn't be close to worth what he's making.

I've also given Goff plenty of credit when he plays well.

All I care about is what's best for the Rams.

Tano

Legend
In situations like this it's pretty easy to prove I have no bias against Goff. People tend to fall into three groups:

People that want Goff to fail

People that want Goff to succeed (not the Rams - Goff)

People who just want the Rams to succeed.

I'm firmly in the third camp. I don't care about any individual player - if AD had two seasons of the DT equivalent of the seasons Goff just had, I'd be screaming for the Rams to trade him. He wouldn't be close to worth what he's making.

I've also given Goff plenty of credit when he plays well.

All I care about is what's best for the Rams.
I'm in the third group too but I believe like Jrry that Goff is still young and still in learning mode that he will get better.

You're in the I don't believe Goff will get better camp and that is where you and I differ.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm in the third group too but I believe like Jrry that Goff is still young and still in learning mode that he will get better.

You're in the I don't believe Goff will get better camp and that is where you and I differ.

I actually do believe he can get better - and Jrry convinced me with the Manning comp.

Where I differ from you and some others (but ironically, not Jrry) is that to me Goff was the weakest link on the team last year. I'm coming around to him being able to improve though, and regardless of anyone's opinion, I think if we can't upgrade next year will be his make or break year with the Rams.

Tano

Legend
I actually do believe he can get better - and Jrry convinced me with the Manning comp.

Where I differ from you and some others (but ironically, not Jrry) is that to me Goff was the weakest link on the team last year. I'm coming around to him being able to improve though, and regardless of anyone's opinion, I think if we can't upgrade next year will be his make or break year with the Rams.
The weakest link to me was the center position that I believe really hampered Goff's progress last year.

And I do agree that if we do upgrade the center position and Goff is still an average QB that the Rams will move on.

But I think he will improve with just improving that ONE position.

That might be a difference between you and me as well.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
The weakest link to me was the center position that I believe really hampered Goff's progress last year.

And I do agree that if we do upgrade the center position and Goff is still an average QB that the Rams will move on.

But I think he will improve with just improving that ONE position.

That might be a difference between you and me as well.
Agreed. It was the team's weakest link in 2020, as well as 2019, and they didn't address it sufficiently - Blythe did OK but they still need to address the C position. I was absolutely at a loss when they didn't even draft one last year. Sully was the last plus-rated C they've had, helped the team get to the SB.
Weak link #2 in 2020: LT. With Whitworth out, Boom did OK but the margin between these 2 players is significant. Glad the RAms were at least able to see what they had in Boom.
Rams really, really need -- NEED -- to address both positions. This means high draft picks and/or premium F/A contracts.

Sidebar: Anyone notice that Cushenberry supposedly did pretty well in Denver? made PFWA's All Rookie team. I really think if the Bronks picked someone else that he would've been our pick over Lewis. His overall PFF grade was low, 40 something, Ruiz's was better (58) but he was a first rounder & still got beat out by Cushenberry to land on PFWA's list. Hard to hit on C's in the draft I guess.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really like these Centers. Rams better find a way to get one of them.