Memento's Yes, I'm Taking Three Mizzou Players Mock Offseason.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Okay, I've decided to make another one. Hopefully there will be less mistakes:

Retire:

Andrew Whitworth..

(Either he retires or we move on.)

Restructure:

Aaron Donald
Jalen Ramsey
Cooper Kupp

(We're going to need all the restructuring for the signings in free agency I'm gonna make.)

Re-sign:

Matthew Stafford (extended three years, 30 million per year.)
Von Miller (three years, 10.6 million per year)
Matt Gay (fifth round tender)
Coleman Shelton (RFA)
Travin Howard (ERFA)
Troy Reeder (RFA)
John Wolford (ERFA)

(Stafford will likely have an extension to save us serious cash in the long run, Von re-signs here so that AD doesn't do something like retire. Gay is retained at the original tender (that I hope we'd re-sign him if someone tried to take him. The rest are either restricted or exclusive rights free agents.)

Release:

Odell Beckham
Darious Williams
Sony Michel
Brian Allen
Austin Corbett
Joseph Noteboom
Sebastian Joseph-Day
Johnny Mundt
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Donte Deayon
Buddy Howell

(Beckham is the shocker here. I think his injury really changed things for us, and given that he won't be back until at least the postseason, I'm not signing him in this mock draft. D-Will and SJD are bounceback candidates, but I can't see it with us. Michel could end up leaving for a starting gig. Corbett, Allen, and Noteboom price themselves out of our cap range. Mundt has lost his job to Blanton and Hopkins. Okoronkwo, Deayon, and Howell are negligible losses.)

Free Agency:

D.J. Chark - five years, 11.5 million per year.
Chukwuma Okorafor - five years, 10 million per year.
Za'Darius Smith - one year, 9 million (can go up to 11.5 million with incentives).
Preston Smith - one year, 9 million (can go up to 11.5 million with incentives).

(Chark could be a top wide receiver in the league; the only reason we get him for this price is because of an ankle injury, but at least he'll be available at the start of the year, unlike OBJ. Okorafor, in my honest opinion, has more potential than Noteboom and is less injury prone; he's not as technically sound as Whit/Noteboom yet, but that's what Carberry is for. Both Smiths may get cut in order for the Packers to get money to pay Aaron Rodgers. While Za'Darius had a back injury that kept him out all year, and Preston had a down year in 2020, I think both could be a solid rotational players in our system, and would jump at the chance to get a ring.

TRADES:

Leonard Floyd to the Los Angeles Chargers for 2022 second round pick.

(The Chargers are going to be desperate to make the playoffs with Herbert, and even more desperate for an answer outside of Joey Bosa. Trading Floyd to them makes sense, because we can shed salary.)

Robert Woods to the Cleveland Browns for 2022 second round pick (#44 overall, Browns) and 2022 fifth round pick (Browns).

(I love Bobby Trees, but given that Kupp and Chark have a lot of targets between them, he's become obsolete. We trade him to the Browns for two picks.)

Van Jefferson to the Detroit Lions for 2022 third round pick (Lions).

(Yeah, I'm trading Van and Bobby Trees. I think that Harris and three draft picks will help, while Detroit needs a veteran option for Goff/new quarterback.)

Darrell Henderson to the Houston Texans for 2022 sixth round pick (New York Jets).

(Henderson, despite being injured a lot, has probably upped his stock with this Super Bowl performance through the passing game. Houston is desperate for running back help; they have Scottie Phillips and Rex Burkhead left, while David Johnson and Royce Freeman shouldn't move the needle either. And while I like Henderson, I won't hesitate to move him for a good pick; he's lost his job to Akers, and I guarantee we draft another running back or two this year anyway because of the injury issues all four of ours have - and because I don't see Michel re-upping with us when he can get a huge contract elsewhere.)

Taylor Rapp to the Dallas Cowboys for 2022 sixth round pick.

(The Cowboys are losing a shit ton of players in free agency this year, and while they'll probably go hard in free agency, I can't see them satisfied with their safeties. Rapp is cheap, has draft pedigree, and should be a solid player for them. In return, we get a nice pick for a player who won't - and shouldn't - start for us.)

Johnny Hekker to the Minnesota Vikings for 2022 seventh round pick.

(Yeah, I really hate doing this, but it's time to get new blood in at punter, and it's better to trade Hekker than to cut him and get nothing. Minnesota needs a punter, and O'Connell is familiar with Hekker.)

Chatarius Atwell to the Oakland Raiders for 2023 conditional sixth round pick (can increase to third if Atwell gains 1,000 yards, 10 touchdowns, and 75 catches.)

(I'll be honest: I'm doing this because I don't like the Atwell pick. If we could get a conditional pick from a team, I'd be quite happy.)

Terrell Lewis to the Atlanta Falcons for 2022 sixth round pick.

(Lewis is expendable with Von Miller, Leonard Floyd, and Justin Hollins, and he has an injury history. Atlanta is in need of an edge rusher, and can take a chance on Lewis.)

2022 second (Browns) to the Miami Dolphins for 2022 second (50) and 2022 third (compensatory for San Fran, traded to Miami in the Lance trade).

(We trade down to Miami who jumps up for a falling inside linebacker.)

2022 third (Lions) to the New York Jets for 2022 fourth (Jets), 2022 fourth (Panthers) and 2022 fourth (Vikings).

(We trade out of the third and get a really nice haul for depth in this class. New York goes for a falling tight end like Likely.)

2022 third round pick (Holmes compensatory) pick to the Baltimore Ravens for 2022 fourth (Ravens) and 2022 fourth (Ravens from Cardinals).

(Stealing again from Jerry. I think that there's enough talent in the fourth to offset the loss of the third.)

2022 sixth round pick (Ebukam comp.), 2022 sixth round pick (Everett comp.) and 2022 sixth round pick (Hill comp) to New Orleans for 2022 fifth round pick and 2022 seventh round pick.)

(We trade up with New Orleans for a specific player in mind. New Orleans needs cheap talent to offset their cap problems.)

DRAFT:

2nd (Chargers) - Jalen Pitre, FS, Baylor. (6'0", 197 lbs.)

(Pitre could be an elite safety. I'm calling it now. He has everything you could ever want: physicality, athleticism, ball skills, football IQ.. He's a heat-seeking missile, a guy who goes to the ballcarrier with bad intentions. He's very versatile; he's able to cover the slot, go big nickel, occasionally go single-high (although that's not Pitre at his best). The only reason he falls here is because he's not the biggest, but as Bob Sanders and many other players have proven, it's not the size that matters.)

2nd (Dolphins) - Nik Bonitto, OLB, Oklahoma. (6'2", 231 lbs.)

(Just looking at Bonitto's size doesn't tell you the story. He's a lot like Brian Burns-lite: insanely athletic (Oklahoma used him as a spy a lot.), smart pass-rusher with his hands, able to keep contain, and he has a constantly-running motor; he will never give up on a play. Like Pitre, he'll fall because of his lack of size, but I would gladly take him with a second round pick to eventually be the successor to Miller and Floyd.

3rd (Rams, Miami compensatory) - Tyler Badie, RB, Missouri. (5'8", 194 lbs.)

(Badie is a Mizzou player I compare to Jamaal Charles. I'm serious. He's got acceleration, agility, speed you dream about, and yet he's so compact that players tend to bounce off of him. And to top that off, he's an excellent receiver. Not just good: excellent. He's the best receiving back in this class, and his size, like Charles, is the reason we get him here.)

4th (Jets) - Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson. (6'3", 205 lbs.)

(Ross looked like a superstar early in his Clemson career. Then he had congenital spinal fusion surgery and struggled on the field in 2021 along with the entire Clemson team. Medicals are definitely a concern. But he's so damn talented that I don't think it matters too much. I've seen Marvin Jones comparisons, and I think Ross is more talented than Jones was when he came out. He's a big target who will highpoint a ball and take it down, but he's so silky smooth with his routes and he has surprising athleticism. I think he could end up starting in his rookie year, if he proves he's healthy.)

4th (Panthers) - Leo Chenal, ILB, Wisconsin. (6'2", 250 lbs.)

(Chenal is someone that I believe @Riverumbbq scouted? I can see why; he's so toolsy, with size, speed, intelligence, and leadership. When he hits someone, they will go down hard. I'm not convinced he's the best cover linebacker, but he's better than Reeder. I think he starts off on special teams and works his way up.)

4th (Vikings) - Romeo Doubs, WR, Nevada (6'2", 200 lbs.)

View: https://youtu.be/ZYAdNC3sVE0

(Doubs is fast. He's explosive with the ball in his hands, a true deep threat who runs decent routes. He's another receiver who can highpoint the ball, who can pick up yards after the catch with his speed. He's had issues with drops and his routes need work, but ultimately, if Chark doesn't work out, I think Doubs will.)

4th (Ravens) - Lecitus Smith, OG, Virginia Tech. (6'3", 320 lbs.)

(Smith is a mauler and a beast in the run game, and he's got a nasty temperament; he will bring the fight on every down to the echo of the whistle. He's a natural knee-bender who will simply not be bullrushed; he's got amazing lower body strength. He has poor length, which hurts him as a pass protector. He's also not very versatile; he's only played left guard at the college level, and I think that's where you slot him at the NFL level. But Smith could be a dominant run-blocker with enough pass-protection skills to be good enough.)

4th (Ravens) - Cole Strange, OC/OG, Chattanooga. (6'6", 301 lbs.)

(Strange has played left guard for most of his career at Chattanooga, but I like him more at center. He's a people mover in the run game with the nasty temperament you love to see in an offensive lineman. He's an older prospect, which hurts his draft stock, but he's smart, has solid pass-protection ability, and I think he could be a solid developmental center behind Shelton.)

4th (Rams, John Johnson compensatory) - Thayer Munford, OT/OG, Ohio State. (6'6", 320 lbs.)

(Munford's 2021 season reminds me of David Edwards' in a way, as he was not nearly as good as he was the previous year in deference of a better player. I think that could drop him a bit. Still, he's versatile enough to play three positions (I don't think his movement skills are good enough for left tackle, but he can definitely play right and both guard spots.), and he was rock solid in 2020. It all depends on what kind of player he is: the rock solid player in 2020 or the player who struggled mightily in 2021.)

5th (Browns) - Chigoziem Okonkwo, TE, Maryland. (6'2", 242 lbs.)

(Don't let the late pick for a tight end to pair (and eventually replace) Higbee fool you: Okonkwo is one of the better tight ends in this class who will likely end up falling to the fourth or fifth round because of his lack of size (I'm not entirely sure he's 6'2".), and because he had a bout with myocarditis that completely wiped out his 2020 season. However, he's a fantastic runner with the ball in his hands, has excellent hands, is an underrated blocker (who still has room to grow, despite his lack of height), and I think he compares favorably to Gerald Everett - only better.)

5th (Saints) - Smoke Monday, SS, Auburn. (6'3", 200 lbs.)

(Monday is more than a name; he's a very good safety who hits really fucking hard. He will dump you, and you will know it. He's a very versatile chess piece; able to move from big nickel linebacker, to slot, to single-high. He has enough range to cover tight ends, and his length helps. What drops him here is his IQ; he's struggled with angles, struggled in coverage due to being too aggressive. He's also struggled with ball skills; he gets to the ball, but there's been very few interceptions. However, Monday should be a solid rotational safety.)

5th (Rams) - Matt Araiza, P, San Diego State (6'2", 180 lbs.)

(I don't know much about punters, I'll be honest. Araiza looked like the best of the best, and he's got plenty of leg. According to the video, he would've led all punters - from the NFL down - in average yardage. He's a weapon, even from his own endzone.)

6th (Texans) - Kaylon Geiger, WR, Texas Tech. (5'10", 180 lbs.)

(One word describes Geiger perfectly: electric. He's a great route runner who takes pride in his craft, and yet, if you let him, he will eat up yardage on the field. He proved at Texas Tech that he can play outside, but he's probably best suited for the slot. He doesn't go down easily either; he's tough, and will not only make a man miss, but bounce off of some contact as well. I'd love to see him at returner; no offense to Powell, but Geiger has returning experience, and is a better offensive player.)

6th (Falcons) - Jeremiah Gemmel, ILB, North Carolina. (6'1", 225 lbs.)

(Gemmel is so underrated. He's the heart, soul, and mind of that Tar Heel defense, a good enough athlete, a great tackler, good in zone coverage against a fair few running backs and tight ends. However, he lacks the ability to get off blocks due to his size, and despite his skills translating perfectly to special teams, he's never played special teams, so there could be a disconnect there. But as a sixth round pick, I think he could surprise.)

6th (Cowboys) - Zaquandre White, RB, South Carolina. (6'1", 215 lbs.)

(White is a punishing runner. He's a bigger back, and he plays like it; would-be tacklers often bounce right off of him. He also has a surprising extra gear; he's had quite a few longer runs. He's decent enough with running routes, great with the ball in his hands in space, but he's not incredibly elusive, and I have doubts about his hands. Still, with a sixth round pick, I can't help but take him.)

7th (Vikings) - Akayleb Evans, CB, Missouri. (6'2", 198 lbs.)

(Originally from Tulsa before transferring to Mizzou, Evans is sushi raw, but has absolutely tantalizing tools. He's big, physical, fast with length and prototypical ability you dream about. Then you see that he needs a ton of work, maybe from the ground up; that's why he's going to fall. He's decent in coverage, but lacks ball skills, and needs a fair bit of coaching if he's ever going to reach his potential. But that potential is higher than a weed addict on the Empire State building.)

7th (Saints) - Grant Calcaterra, TE, Southern Methodist. (6'5", 247 lbs.)

(Calcaterra is an interesting story. He retired because of concussions after a couple years of playing extremely well at Oklahoma before this senior year at SMU. Medically, he's a huge risk, which is why he's in the seventh round. He's not really a good blocker either. But he's tough, and as a receiver, I don't think there's many better than he is. He has iron mitts for hands; he does not let go of the football when he has it. He has speed to threaten the seam. Is he a risk player, potentially a luxury? Sure, but the potential is there to be great for us, even if we put him on the practice squad.)

7th (Dolphins) - Clint Ratkovich, RB/FB/TE, Northern Illinois. (6'0", 231 lbs.)

(Jerry's convinced me on Ratkovich. He could definitely be our answer to Kyle Juszcyzk: a physical downhill runner who can block, catch, and be a moveable chess piece. He can probably be a solid H-back, line up with his hand in the dirt as well. I watched a bit of him, and I loved what I saw. Ratkovich could be special as a fullback, and I hope the Whiners don't take him.)

7th (Rams) - Allie Green IV, CB, Missouri. (6'3", 202 lbs.)

(Green, like Evans, was also from Tulsa before transferring to Mizzou. He also has incredible tools; he's a force on the perimeter because of his size, athleticism, length, and aggressiveness. He's a huge chirper; he will play head games with receivers. He's also quite versatile; he can play outside or in a big nickel as a box defender. However, he's even more raw than Evans was. He needs work on damn near everything from tackling to proper coverage technique. His aggressiveness can also draw flags. But for a seventh round pick, I've gotta take him.

Roster (starters, bold; rookies, italics)

QB - Matt Stafford, Bryce Perkins.
RB - Cam Akers, Tyler Badie, Zaquandre White, Clint Ratkovich (TE/FB/HB)
WR - Cooper Kupp, D.J. Chark, Justyn Ross, Jacob Harris, Romeo Doubs, Kaylon Geiger (KR/PR).
TE - Tyler Higbee, Chigoziem Okonkwo, Kendall Blanton/Grant Calcaterra.
OL - Chukwuma Okorafor, David Edwards, Coleman Shelton, Tremayne Anchrum, Rob Havenstein, Cole Strange, Thayer Munford, Lecitus Smith, Alaric Jackson, Max Pircher.
DL - Aaron Donald, Greg Gaines, A'Shawn Robinson, Bobby Brown III, Earnest Brown IV.
LB - Von Miller, Za'Darius Smith/Preston Smith, Ernest Jones, Travin Howard, Justin Hollins, Chris Garrett, Nik Bonitto, Leo Chenal, Jeremiah Gemmel.
DB - Jalen Ramsey, Robert Rochell, David Long, Jordan Fuller, Nick Scott, Terrell Burgess, Jalen Pitre, Smoke Monday, Akayleb Evans, Allie Green IV.
ST - Matt Gay, Matt Araiza, Matt Orzech.

So, let me know what you think!

Last edited by a moderator:

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Whoa that's quite a haul, Mem. And watching that Badie film, wow.... Imma believer. Elite burst & great vision / COD skills. Hits the hole so fast, and with low center, LB's can only arm-tackle him.
He & Akers would be quite a pair, but I worry we wouldn't have a 3rd & I back somewhere.
Losing both OBJ and Woods would be quite a hit. But, with no draft capital, and those guys already having rings, both coming off injuries, OBJ being ACL'd in early FEB, I can see your reasoning to move on from them & get some hungry WR's.
I can let go of Hekker too, now that he (our longest serving & ring-deserving Ram IIRC) has a ring. We don't do so many trick plays now that Bones is long gone, so we don't use his arm talent. So though he's one of my all-time favorite Rams of the dark ages, I can let go of him & put him out to pasture somewhere.
I'd rather skip one of the Smith F/A's and try to sign either Allen or Noteboom. Preferably Allen, as I think Alaric has shown quite a bit of promise at LT IIRC? I'd rather draft his competition than straight up start all over at C. The past 3 offseasons have been brutal since Sullivan left, so I'd rather not take another chance on a rookie at C (assuming you're thinking Shelton would compete with Strange for the C position? depth??). Strange seems a little tall at C, but I think Stafford can see over him well enough.
Overall though, great mock, my fav so far.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This might be the Doubs highlights you intended to put in.
View: https://youtu.be/ZYAdNC3sVE0

You got Ross in there twice. If you want me to, I can edit and put this one in instead.

That would be good, thanks. I tried to proofread it, but I saw mistakes today: there was a line where I put in Floyd's name as here when he was traded (in the Terrell Lewis trade paragraph). I basically posted this and fell asleep before I could edit it.

"(Lewis is expendable with Von Miller, Leonard Floyd, and Justin Hollins, and he has an injury history. Atlanta is in need of an edge rusher, and can take a chance on Lewis.)"

If you could add "the Smiths" instead of Floyd, that would be good.

Thank you so much, Stu.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That would be good, thanks. I tried to proofread it, but I saw mistakes today: there was a line where I put in Floyd's name as here when he was traded (in the Terrell Lewis trade paragraph). I basically posted this and fell asleep before I could edit it.

"(Lewis is expendable with Von Miller, Leonard Floyd, and Justin Hollins, and he has an injury history. Atlanta is in need of an edge rusher, and can take a chance on Lewis.)"

If you could add "the Smiths" instead of Floyd, that would be good.

Thank you so much, Stu.
Check to see if I got it right.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WOW…that’s a lot of work. No offense, I doubt 90% of that happens. Unless your the Sneadster in disguise. I like the Badie, Strange and Chenal picks. I agree the Rams move Henderson and Rapp. Plus, I’m with you on Atwell. Why not live out his streak routes in a Raider uniform?!?!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like most of the players, but it's too much blowing up of a Super Bowl winning squad!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta agree there are what 6 new starters on offense for a SB winning team just seems like a big why? We need to refine a few things not blow up and rebuild. Like who you took, if there was a need for them without trading away starters.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Many have said it already, don’t fix what ain’t broke. I can understand a few changes, but our youngest starting WR last year (Jefferson) made a huge jump from year one to year two. No way am I trading him until he proves he’s not about to blow up in year three.