Memento's Post Super Bowl New Prospects Mock Offseason.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
So, yeah, I was going to post this mock before the Super Bowl, but I lost my progress. I'm not going to include any of the prospects I've included in the past. So, shall we get started?

Cut:

Eric Weddle
Clay Matthews
Tanzel Smart
Jamil Demby

(Both Weddle and Matthews have long overstayed their welcomes. Smart and Demby are cut for both savings and because they aren't NFL-caliber players.)

Restructure:

Jared Goff
Brandin Cooks

(Both restructures give us much needed cap space.)

Re-sign

Jalen Ramsey - five years, 84 million overall.
Cooper Kupp - five years, 65 million overall.
John Johnson III - four years, 48 million overall.
Andrew Whitworth - one year, 9 million overall.
Greg Zuerlein - three years, 7 million overall.
Dante Fowler - franchise tag.
Morgan Fox - RFA
Johnny Mundt - ERFA
Nsimba Webster - ERFA
Kendall Blanton - ERFA
Coleman Shelton - ERFA
Marquise Copeland - Practice Squad
Greg Dortch - Practice Squad.
Jachai Polite - Practice Squad
Landis Durham - Practice Squad
John Wolford - Practice Squad
Jeff Holland - Practice Squad
Adonis Alexander - Practice Squad
Nate Trewyn - Practice Squad
Ethan Wolf - Practice Squad

(Might as well get the Ramsey signing out of the way this year; pay the man to lock down one side of the field. It also makes sense to do an extension with Kupp and JJ3 because they'll be worth more on the open market. Whitworth looks like he'll re-up with us, so he's on this list. Zuerlein, for all his inconsistency, is still our best option at kicker. Morgan Fox is the only RFA who gets re-signed, and the others are ERFAs and practice squad candidates.)

Release:

Cory Littleton
Michael Brockers
Blake Bortles
Bryce Hager
Jojo Natson
Donte Deayon
Austin Blythe
Marqui Christian
Mike Thomas
Josh Carraway
Jeremiah Kolone

(Unfortunately, we can't keep everyone. That means that Littleton, as much as I hate it, will be let go, along with Brockers. Christian goes for an opportunity to start, as well as Bortles. The others, I'm fine with losing.)

Free Agency:

Forrest Lamp - three years, 12 million overall.

(Apparently, the Los Angeles Chargers have a voodoo curse upon them that gets all of their players hurt. Let's pick up Lamp from the scrap-heap after he gets cut by the Chargers. The contract is six million in the first year and three million in the next two, in case his injuries follow him here.)

Trades (sorry @den-the-coach ) :

Dante Fowler to the Atlanta Falcons for 2020 second (Falcons) and 2020 fourth.

(You hear the rumor that Fowler wants to go to Atlanta because of Dan Quinn? Let's send him there...for a price. The Falcons lack an edge presence like Fowler, especially since Vic Beasley busted. They're competitive, and want to go up against the Saints. It makes sense.)

Robert Woods to the Indianapolis Colts for 2020 second.

(The Colts have nothing behind T.Y. Hilton. That, along with trying to compete in a division that's basically anyone's game, makes them able to send one of their two seconds to us for Woods.)

Nickell Robey-Coleman and 2020 seventh to the Cincinnati Bengals for 2020 sixth.

(The Bengals need a nickel corner, and NRC fits the system. Makes sense.)

Malcolm Brown to the San Diego Chargers for 2020 fifth.

(The Chargers are likely going to let Melvin Gordon go to another team, so they're going to need a power back behind Austin Ekeler. Brown could be that back.)

Rob Havenstein and 2020 sixth (ours) to the New York Jets for 2020 fourth.

(Havenstein may be sold low, but the Jets have nothing at tackle, and he'd be a perfect fit.)

2020 second (ours) to Washington for 2020 third and 2020 fourth.

(Simple trade down with Washington to get more picks.)

Draft:

2nd (Colts) - Cesar Ruiz, OC, Michigan. (6'4", 319 lbs.)

(Ruiz is a great center prospect that a lot of you have latched onto. Since I can't choose Biadasz or Muti, count me as one of them! Ruiz is a powerful man and is surprisingly quick for his size. And yes, size is an issue. He's got a fair bit of bad weight that should be dropped. He needs work at the technical bits of center - not his overall technique, which is quite good, but the issues of practicing against stunts and twists and the like. For those reasons, I'd rather he sit as a rookie or - if you have to play him - at guard. Overall, though, he'd be a great pick for the Rams.)

2nd (Falcons) - Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn. (6'5", 305 lbs.)

(Wanogho is not Greg Robinson 2.0. I have to say it because you all probably don't ever want to see an offensive lineman from Auburn drafted ever again, but the problem with Wanogho is not mental, pass-protecting, or having a mean streak. He has technique issues, and struggles with run-blocking, but those are fixable, especially since he's sitting behind Whitworth and being taught by Kromer. The finished product could be a left tackle of the future.)

3rd (Washington) - Ross Blacklock, DL, TCU. (6'4", 305 lbs.)

(Blacklock has the size, motor, and strength to be a force on the D-line. He missed a season with an Achilles injury in 2018, but he returned healthy and was a force for the Horned Frogs. He can play any position on the D-line, even nose (although I'd prefer him to be a 5-tech), and he's flexible and slippery as a lineman; he makes it difficult to get a hold of him. And when he gets to the quarterback or running back, he has the length to bring them down.)

3rd (ours) - Joshua Uche, OLB, Michigan. (6'1", 241 lbs.)

(I wrestled between Uche and Bradlee Anae (Utah), eventually choosing the former because of his athletic traits. Uche is a freak of nature at edge. He's got Robert Quinn-like bend. Seriously. As a speed-rusher alone, he'll get his fair bit of sacks. He needs to add more weight, and he struggles with dropping into space, but he's a very talented pass-rusher who should be able to dominate in the NFL.)

4th (Washington) - Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota. (6'2", 205 lbs.)

(I fucking love Tyler Johnson as a prospect. He seriously gives me Cooper Kupp vibes. He's going to be drafted this low because he doesn't have the best physical traits, and he won't blow up the Combine. I don't care; he's a stud. He can work outside, in the slot, catches almost everything thrown to him, runs routes like the lovechild of Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt, and thinks the game at a quarterback's level. Mark my words; if the Rams draft him, it will be a steal.)

4th (Jets) - DaVon Hamilton, DL, Ohio State. (6'4", 327 lbs.)

(Hamilton is a red-shirt senior who bided his time behind Ohio State's talented D-line before having a...decent senior year. That's it. He didn't put up insane stats like Young or Bosa before him. What he did do was all of the little things, in addition to his athleticism, that could prove that he'll be a better pro player than college player. Hamilton uses his strength, length, and solid first step to pressure quarterbacks, he takes on double-teams, and when he does penetrate, he can quickly engulf quarterbacks and running backs alike.)

4th (Falcons) -Robert Hunt, OG, UL-Lafayette. (6'5", 335 lbs.)

(Hunt is a big man with one of the biggest mean streaks in the college football world. He played tackle in college, but will have to move to guard at the next level. He moves and buries people in the run game and has underrated athleticism. He'll need work as a pass-protector, even after moving to guard.)

4th (ours) - Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame. (6'4", 229 lbs.)

(Claypool - hailing from BC, Canada - is a huge redzone target who would have much better stats if Notre Dame's quarterbacks weren't terrible. He has an enormous catch radius with sticky hands to boot. He knows how to keep his feet inbounds, has a solid route tree and decent route-running ability for a man as big as he is. While he's got solid size and hands, though, he's going to have issues separating himself from cornerbacks with marginal speed.)

4th (ours, compensatory) - Justin Strnad, ILB, Wake Forest. (6'3", 235 lbs.)

(Strnad is so underrated. He has range, blitzing and coverage skills for days, and he never gives up on plays. He needs to work on his tackling, and he had a torn biceps injury this year. Still, he flashes potential and could eventually be a starting inside linebacker for us.)

5th (Chargers) - Antonio Gibson, RB, Memphis. (6'1", 223 lbs.)

(Another Memphis running back? You might wonder where they come from, but Gibson was actually a wideout/running back at Memphis. As such, he's good at catching the ball. Gibson's size, vision, and speed help him a ton, and he can take one to the house anytime. He sees the field differently, has numerous different gears to shift into, and he's a powerful runner. He needs work as a running back, though. He runs upright, which hurts him when he needs to break tackles. and yes, he's a tweener. But for the fifth round, I'll take him.)

6th (Bengals) - Thakarius Keyes, CB/FS, Tulane. (6'0", 190 lbs.)

(Keyes is a great press-man cornerback. He has the length to completely knock bigger receivers completely off their routes, and is fast enough to mirror them if they manage to get past the initial press. He needs a lot of work on his ball skills; he'd have even bigger stats than he has if he just knew how to play with his back to the ball. But as a sixth-round flyer, he's a solid prospect.)

Roster: (bold = rookie, italics = starter.)

QB - Jared Goff, John Wolford.
RB - Todd Gurley, Darrell Henderson, Antonio Gibson.
WR - Cooper Kupp, Brandin Cooks, Josh Reynolds, Tyler Johnson, Chase Claypool, Nsimba Webster, Greg Dortch.
TE - Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett, Johnny Mundt, Kendall Blanton.
OL - Andrew Whitworth, Forrest Lamp, Austin Corbett, David Edwards, Bobby Evans, Cesar Ruiz, Prince Tega Wanogho, Robert Hunt, Joseph Noteboom (PUP).
DL - Aaron Donald, Morgan Fox, Greg Gaines, Sebastian Joseph-Day, DaVon Hamilton, Ross Blacklock.
LB - Samson Ebukam, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Travin Howard, Micah Kiser, Kenny Young, Natrez Patrick, Justin Strnad, Jachai Polite, Jeff Holland, Joshua Uche.
DB - Jalen Ramsey, Troy Hill, John Johnson III, Taylor Rapp, David Long, Darious Williams, Jake Gervase, Thakarius Keyes, Adonis Alexander, Nick Scott.
ST - Greg Zuerlein, Johnny Hekker, Jake McQuaide.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ross Blacklock is rising up the draft boards, heck of a DL and if he's there would be excellent value, any draft that includes Cesar Ruiz I'm a fan of and overall you covered many needs, but I would not trade Robert Woods the other deals if teams said yes would be interesting.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I really don't like the idea of trading Coleman and letting Littleton go. I don't see much of a slot option or someone who can cover TEs and RBs. I also dislike trading Woods as @den-the-coach mentioned.

While I like the draft talent you've added, we will not be a playoff team for the next two years.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Though yah I don't like trading Woods, the upside is we fix the OL (C and LT are big) and get better in many other areas that we reallllly need to. No one is catching passes anyway if the hole at C is not plugged, so getting a second 2nd rounder is key.
I really liked the vid on Johnson, he gives me Boldin vibes. With Cooks staying on the team, we have a speed deep threat. I'm not sure how long he stays healthy though - 1 more concussion & he will pretty much have to retire. A Mecole-type speed threat would be great, currently I don't see that on our team other than Cooks with his fragile dome.
I like Claypool but if there's a speed burner / KR / PR I think we should find one, unless I'm overlooking someone already on the roster? Everett already fills the hybrid WR/TE role, and quite well.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only way I think we should consider trading Woods is if it lands us a comparable (i.e. near all pro level) offensive lineman. Trading him for a pick and then using that pick on an offensive lineman would make this team much worse IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very interesting mock. I like a lot of the players you acquired. Constructive criticism: I think Uche and Johnson are gone at that point (I also have to strongly disagree that Uche isn't good at dropping in coverage). Don't restructure Cooks; restructure Donald. I don't like selling low on Havenstein. I think the Chargers aren't going to give us a 5th for Brown. And I think we're paying Lamp too much.

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ross Blacklock is rising up the draft boards, heck of a DL and if he's there would be excellent value, any draft that includes Cesar Ruiz I'm a fan of and overall you covered many needs, but I would not trade Robert Woods the other deals if teams said yes would be interesting.

I love Blacklock the more I watch him. He might even end up as a first round choice according to certain website drafts, and the next time I put him in the draft, it'll be as a second round pick.

Ruiz is interesting. He and Hennessy are basically tied, in my mind with Cushenberry as a close fifth. Biadasz is my favorite, with Muti second. But I would be happy if we took Ruiz. Anyone would be an upgrade at center, which we'll definitely need.

I get that trading Woods isn't popular. Despite me posting to trade him, I'm a fan myself. I just don't think he'll be a Ram at the end of this contract.

I really don't like the idea of trading Coleman and letting Littleton go. I don't see much of a slot option or someone who can cover TEs and RBs. I also dislike trading Woods as @den-the-coach mentioned.

While I like the draft talent you've added, we will not be a playoff team for the next two years.

Littleton is going to take far too much money to keep. I've mentioned this before, but his contract comparison is Kwon Alexander, and Alexander was coming off of numerous injuries, while Littleton has no durability concerns, which means Littleton is going to cost even more to keep.

NRC is a talented nickel back, but he simply costs too much to keep, and getting something for him would not only help us financially and draft-wise, but would also open up room for David Long to start - and believe me, I think Long's going to be special.

Woods and Fowler are two of our best trade chips right now, and like it or not, Woods will not be a Ram at the end of his current contract, not with Kupp being hopefully re-signed. We're going to have to make hard choices to compete with the cap, and this, unfortunately, is one of them.

Though yah I don't like trading Woods, the upside is we fix the OL (C and LT are big) and get better in many other areas that we reallllly need to. No one is catching passes anyway if the hole at C is not plugged, so getting a second 2nd rounder is key.
I really liked the vid on Johnson, he gives me Boldin vibes. With Cooks staying on the team, we have a speed deep threat. I'm not sure how long he stays healthy though - 1 more concussion & he will pretty much have to retire. A Mecole-type speed threat would be great, currently I don't see that on our team other than Cooks with his fragile dome.
I like Claypool but if there's a speed burner / KR / PR I think we should find one, unless I'm overlooking someone already on the roster? Everett already fills the hybrid WR/TE role, and quite well.

My thoughts exactly on the second rounder. O-line and D-line take priority in this draft; they're not only deep, but they're extremely talented.

Yeah, I absolutely love Johnson. He's my favorite receiver after Aiyuk (as I don't think that Jeudy, Ruggs, Shenault, or Reagor fall to us).

I'm concerned about Cooks myself...but call me crazy, but I think that Webster is going to make a difference if Cooks does go down; he runs a 4.4, has solid routes, and in college, he won at every route. And Dortch is a great returner who could also make a difference, even though he's small.

Claypool is someone I'm really interested in; with better quarterbacks, he could be a stud. And Everett is likely going in free agency next year, so getting a WR/TE hybrid is also important.

The only way I think we should consider trading Woods is if it lands us a comparable (i.e. near all pro level) offensive lineman. Trading him for a pick and then using that pick on an offensive lineman would make this team much worse IMO.

What comparable O-linemen are available for Woods, though? And why would teams trade said offensive lineman for a wide receiver when there's an excellent class for the latter? The best we could hope for, in my honest opinion, is a pick.

Very interesting mock. I like a lot of the players you acquired. Constructive criticism: I think Uche and Johnson are gone at that point (I also have to strongly disagree that Uche isn't good at dropping in coverage). Don't restructure Cooks; restructure Donald. I don't like selling low on Havenstein. I think the Chargers aren't going to give us a 5th for Brown. And I think we're paying Lamp too much.

I figured as much on Uche and Johnson, (and I made a mistake with Uche; I think that his tackling and range in space - not coverage - is what he struggles with), but I wanted to expose more players that I'm interested in. And sure, I'll restructure Donald next time. That's a fair point on Havenstein and Brown (although I think I could get at least a sixth for Brown). And would around, say, ten million for Lamp (six million in the first year) work?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I get that trading Woods isn't popular. Despite me posting to trade him, I'm a fan myself. I just don't think he'll be a Ram at the end of this contract.
Woods and Fowler are two of our best trade chips right now, and like it or not, Woods will not be a Ram at the end of his current contract, not with Kupp being hopefully re-signed. We're going to have to make hard choices to compete with the cap, and this, unfortunately, is one of them.

Imo, Woods is currently an untouchable. He'll be 30 years old when his contract is final and he becomes a free agent in 2022, ... and he's very inexpensive once you calculate his stats into his value. The Rams will likely decide whether Cooks remains a viable player or a health hazard following the upcoming season, this being the same time his CAP becomes far less of a burden for the team should they choose to take a different direction at WR. Losing Thomas to free agency this year and the likelihood of losing Josh Reynolds to free agency next season, I fully expect the Rams to draft at least one in each of 2020 and 2021, ... but Woods stays through the end of his contract. jmo.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Imo, Woods is currently an untouchable. He'll be 30 years old when his contract is final and he becomes a free agent in 2022, ... and he's very inexpensive once you calculate his stats into his value. The Rams will likely decide whether Cooks remains a viable player or a health hazard following the upcoming season, this being the same time his CAP becomes far less of a burden for the team should they choose to take a different direction at WR. Losing Thomas to free agency this year and the likelihood of losing Josh Reynolds to free agency next season, I fully expect the Rams to draft at least one in each of 2020 and 2021, ... but Woods stays through the end of his contract. jmo.

In my honest opinion, Kupp is the only receiver who should be untouchable. Woods is close, and I like what he does, but we need picks for this draft, especially high picks. Fowler and Woods are the only players on this roster that we can conceivably trade that will get us those high picks. And given how fluid our wide receiver situation is, how any of the ones I kept could be difference makers, how a lot of the receivers in the draft could be studs...it makes it easier to trade one of the ones we have.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And would around, say, ten million for Lamp (six million in the first year) work?

I doubt the Chargers cut Lamp, but if they do, he won't be getting $6 million in year one from anybody. He's barely played due to injuries. Somebody might give him a one year "prove it" deal with a lot of incentives or maybe something like a 2 year $5 or $6 million deal.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I though Clay had a hell of a season rushing the QB. I like him here.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Why would you trade Robert Woods and keep Brandin Cooks? That doesn't make sense to me. Woods is WAY more valuable to the offense than Cooks and his contract is inline with his value.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In my honest opinion, Kupp is the only receiver who should be untouchable. Woods is close, and I like what he does, but we need picks for this draft, especially high picks. Fowler and Woods are the only players on this roster that we can conceivably trade that will get us those high picks. And given how fluid our wide receiver situation is, how any of the ones I kept could be difference makers, how a lot of the receivers in the draft could be studs...it makes it easier to trade one of the ones we have.

The only way I would trade Woods is if it gave us the opportunity to add an elite offensive lineman - Woods for a draft pick does nothing but make this team worse.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I doubt the Chargers cut Lamp, but if they do, he won't be getting $6 million in year one from anybody. He's barely played due to injuries. Somebody might give him a one year "prove it" deal with a lot of incentives or maybe something like a 2 year $5 or $6 million deal.

Two years at five million overall. Works for me! :D

I though Clay had a hell of a season rushing the QB. I like him here.

Matthews had a decent year rushing the quarterback. He also had a piss-poor year at keeping contain with athletic quarterbacks, overpursuing running backs, and he generally benefited from Donald in most of his sacks. I have no problem cutting him for salary.

Love the Claypool pick

As do I. :D Seriously, though, Claypool is going to be a stud for some team. He produced with awful quarterbacks; I can't wait to see what he could do with a good one.

Why would you trade Robert Woods and keep Brandin Cooks? That doesn't make sense to me. Woods is WAY more valuable to the offense than Cooks and his contract is inline with his value.

Cooks' value is nil right now, and his contract can't be shed without incurring significant penalties to the cap - which is something we really can't afford right now. Of course Woods is more valuable to the offense; that's why he's a more realistic trade chip.

The only way I would trade Woods is if it gave us the opportunity to add an elite offensive lineman - Woods for a draft pick does nothing but make this team worse.

Again, which teams are going to trade that elite offensive lineman for Woods when there's a potentially-historic receiver class to draft in? A pick, like I said, is as much as we can hope for - and with that pick, we can draft an elite offensive lineman, as well as an elite wide receiver to take over later on when Cooks and - maybe, although I'd try to re-sign him if he has a good enough year - Reynolds leave.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two years at five million overall. Works for me! :D

Matthews had a decent year rushing the quarterback. He also had a piss-poor year at keeping contain with athletic quarterbacks, overpursuing running backs, and he generally benefited from Donald in most of his sacks. I have no problem cutting him for salary.

As do I. :D Seriously, though, Claypool is going to be a stud for some team. He produced with awful quarterbacks; I can't wait to see what he could do with a good one.

Cooks' value is nil right now, and his contract can't be shed without incurring significant penalties to the cap - which is something we really can't afford right now. Of course Woods is more valuable to the offense; that's why he's a more realistic trade chip.

Again, which teams are going to trade that elite offensive lineman for Woods when there's a potentially-historic receiver class to draft in? A pick, like I said, is as much as we can hope for - and with that pick, we can draft an elite offensive lineman, as well as an elite wide receiver to take over later on when Cooks and - maybe, although I'd try to re-sign him if he has a good enough year - Reynolds leave.

That's my point though - in that case I think trading him only makes us a worse team.