Memento's Possibly Final 2019 Mock Draft (Unless something changes.)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Hello! It's been a long time since I've had a mock. Here's a trade that's been suggested by Chad Reuter of NFL.com...but with my own twist:

#31 overall, #203 overall, and #251 overall to the Cincinnati Bengals for #42 overall, #72 overall, #149 overall, and #183 overall.

(The Bengals trade up to get Daniel Jones while leapfrogging the Cheatriots. We swap sixth round picks and recoup others.)

Marcus Peters to the Pittsburgh Steelers for #83 overall.

(Peters is tradebait, in my honest opinion. I don't think he re-signs here, and I have an idea on how to replace him and spend the pick.)

Draft:

#42 overall - Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple.

(Ya-Sin is a sticky cornerback who needs technique work and only started one season at the FBS level. Still, he has natural athletic ability, he's more willing in run support than I thought, and he has the physicality to be a dominant press-man corner. With our first pick, I needed to get a cornerback, since this class sucks after the third round. Ya-Sin gives us that corner.)

#72 overall - Tytus Howard, OG/OT, Alabama State.

(Howard is a small-school offensive lineman with vines for arms who basically shut down Auburn's stud defensive line for the entire matchup. He needs to add good weight, but he's agile in pass-protection, and quick enough to get to the second level in the run game. He's very much worth a pick in the third round.)

#83 overall - Kahale Warring, TE, San Diego State.

(Warring is a severely underrated tight end. He is a great blocker, since San Diego State was a run-first offense. But he proved that he can be a huge asset in the passing game as well. He's a former basketball player (along with damn near every sport that isn't football), and a solid route runner. He's the perfect mismatch for teams, and McVay should have dreams about using a guy like him.)

#94 overall - Jachai Polite, OLB, Florida.

(Shocked that Polite falls here? I wouldn't be. He's done so much damage to his draft stock with athletic testing, body-composition, and maturity issues that teams will consider him radioactive. But that's all right: their loss is our gain. Polite is a natural pass-rusher who can turn the corner and bend, has a vast array of moves, and has an amazing get-off. All in all, he'll be a perfect lineman to help with what should be a dominant defense.

#99 overall - Devin Singletary, RB, Florida Atlantic.

(Singletary - aptly nicknamed "Motor" - is very small and not all that fast. There's no denying that. But he's also harder to tackle than a greased seal. He's a compact runner who has stop-and-start shiftiness. He's a touchdown machine in the redzone, he has excellent pass-protection skills in spite of his size, and he's an able receiver who can run routes. All in all, he's a perfect 1B back.)

#133 overall - Trysten Hill, NT, Central Florida.

(Hill has serious maturity and coachability issues. He was benched in some games; others, not allowed to start. He made public statements on how much he hated his coaching staff after Scott Frost. I trust in McVay and Wade to coach that out of him because Hill is arguably one of the most physically-gifted nose tackles in this class, and is my sleeper pick. His get-off is insanely-quick and he can bowl over offensive linemen with his leverage. He's a perfect fit for what Wade's system.)

#149 overall - Sheldrick Redwine, FS/SS, Miami.

(Redwine is a former cornerback who became a safety because of his lack of consistency in coverage and his willingness to be physical. He's fast enough to cover tight ends and running backs out of the backfield, though, and he's never met a hit he didn't like. He just needs consistency, and that's well worth an early fifth.)

#169 overall - Diontae Johnson, WR/KR/PR, Toledo.

(Johnson is absolutely dynamic. He's explosive with the ball in his hands, and he has the speed, quickness, and shiftiness to really challenge cornerbacks.. His problem is that he's small. He's got problems with his hands, and he has a bit of diva in him. All in all, though, well worth a fifth round pick.)

#183 overall - Jahlani Tavai, ILB, Hawaii.

(Tavai is a solid linebacker who's more fit to stop the run and blitz than he is in coverage. Let's get that out of the way: he's bad in coverage. Zone is his best fit, as he keeps things in front of him, but he doesn't have the athleticism you look for in a three-down linebacker. He also has had surgery on both of his shoulders, which drops him to the sixth round. That said, he's a clear fit on special teams, and there's potential for more - which is what you hope for with a sixth round pick.)

Undrafted Free Agent Signings:

There are three offensive linemen that I'd love to get as UDFAs. Here they are:

Hjalte Froholdt, OC, Arkansas.

(Froholdt has the potential to play guard and center, but he'll likely find his home at the latter. He's intelligent and technical in his style of play, even though he doesn't overpower the defensive line. He'll be a priority free agent, and I hope we get him.)

Iosua Opeta, OG, Weber State.

(Opeta is strong. Very strong. He put up an astounding thirty-nine reps of 225 at the Combine, and he's a workout warrior. He doesn't have the length necessary to be a tackle, but he'll be an excellent fit at guard. He'll be a priority free agent.)

Yosh Nijman, OT, Virginia Tech.

(The last of the offensive linemen, Nijman is a physical freak. He has the potential to play left tackle, but his technique leaves so much to be desired. I'd still love to get him as a priority free agent.)

Roster:

(Bold are rookies, italics are starters.)

QB - Jared Goff, Blake Bortles.
RB - Todd Gurley, Malcolm Brown, Devin Singletary, John Kelly.
WR - Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds, KhaDarel Hodge, Diontae Johnson.
TE - Gerald Everett, Tyler Higbee, Kahale Warring.
OL - Andrew Whitworth, Joseph Noteboom, Brian Allen, Austin Blythe, Rob Havenstein, Tytus Howard, Jamil Demby, Hjalte Froholdt, Iosua Opeta, Yosh Nijman.
DL - Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, John Franklin-Myers, Trysten Hill, Tanzel Smart.
LB - Cory Littleton, Micah Kiser, Dante Fowler, Jachai Polite, Clay Matthews, Samson Ebukam, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Jahvani Tavai, Justin Lawler, Trevon Young.
DB - Aqib Talib, Rock Ya-Sin, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Eric Weddle, John Johnson III, Marqui Christian, Kevin Peterson, Sheldrick Redwine, Travin Howard, Dominique Hatfield.
ST - Greg Zuerlein, Johnny Hekker, Jake McQuaide.

Let me know what you think!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
While I agree with your reasoning about Polite, I still think it's unlikely that he falls that far.

Do you have an alternative pick if he were to go late in the second (or miraculously goes earlier)?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Peters was amazing, AMAZING when on the field with Talib. Given that Talib will be here next year..

I think it's fascinating how fans like or don't like a player based on their perceived personality when we don't actually know them.

He was a top 5 CB when Talib played with him. I'd have a hard time trading that.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Peters was amazing, AMAZING when on the field with Talib. Given that Talib will be here next year..

I think it's fascinating how fans like or don't like a player based on their perceived personality when we don't actually know them.

He was a top 5 CB when Talib played with him. I'd have a hard time trading that.

I don't know how much his play was being with Talib, or being healthy - his being fully recovered from his ankle injury iirc was at the same time Talib came back, which was right after the bye, so Peters actually had time to heal.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
While I agree with your reasoning about Polite, I still think it's unlikely that he falls that far.

Do you have an alternative pick if he were to go late in the second (or miraculously goes earlier)?

Maybe switch Polite and Warring's slots in the draft?

I think that Winovich is certainly an option if Polite doesn't fall that far. I expect Polite to take a tumble, though.

I don't know how much his play was being with Talib, or being healthy - his being fully recovered from his ankle injury iirc was at the same time Talib came back, which was right after the bye, so Peters actually had time to heal.

I have nothing against Peters personally. I just don't like his lack of physicality. I can live with gambling, but I hate passivity from a defensive player, even corners.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have nothing against Peters personally. I just donI't like his lack of physicality. I can live with gambling, but I hate passivity from a defensive player, even corners.
I
I'm not crazy about Peters future with the Rams either. I think he's better than some have said based on his performance for half the season when he was injured. I also doubt that he gives the Rams any sort of discount - and the Rams could use savings anywhere they can. If the Rams can trade him and a pick to move up and get a CB they really like - even #31 to move up enough to get a premium CB prospect - I could definitely get behind that. If they could trade a third and Peters, even more so.