Memento's Obligatory Deshaun Watson Mock Offseason.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, since it's looking increasingly likely that we'll have a new quarterback, here it goes:

Cut:

Kenny Young
Justin Lawler
Nick Scott

(I've decided to keep Okoronkwo for this draft's purpose, but the others aren't a surprise, and all of them save cap.)

Re-sign:

Darious Williams - RFA (second round tender).
Coleman Shelton - ERFA
Travin Howard - ERFA
Raymond Calais - ERFA
JuJu Hughes - ERFA

(Darious Williams gets a tender, and we'll see if a team wants to pay it. Mundt gets an original round tender. Other than that, these are ERFAs.)

Release:

John Johnson III
Leonard Floyd
Troy Hill
Gerald Everett
Malcolm Brown
Josh Reynolds
Samson Ebukam
Johnny Mundt
Derek Rivers
Austin Blythe
Morgan Fox
Jake McQuaide
Kai Forbath

(I hate to let JJ3 and Floyd leave, but both of them could return a third round compensatory pick each - picks that can be used as ammunition to trade up. Hill has been a solid player, but I could see him going for a number 2 cornerback job. Brown should be replaced by Akers, Henderson, and a draft pick. Ebukam hasn't been effective this year and can be replaced by the combination of Hollins, Lewis, Okoronkwo, and two draft picks. Fox will go for a starting role. Blythe, Everett, and Reynolds can all fuck off. Rivers is gone as well, along with Mundt. McQuaide has been great, but I can't see us paying huge money for an aging long snapper. As for Forbath, I'd rather forget he was ever on the team.)

Free Agency:

Tyrell Williams, two years, 10 million overall.

(Yeah, stealing this from Jerry shamelessly because I like the idea. Williams is a tall and speedy receiver who will be cut by the Raiders because he wasn't the top option they were hoping for. But their loss, our gain.)

Artie Burns, one year, one million overall.

(Burns had an ACL tear with the Bears after signing with them as a free agent, and I think we could get him at a cheap price. A former first round pick, I think Burns could fit into this system very well. I'm not sure it would cost a compensatory pick for us, but I think - along with a draft pick or two - he could be a solid replacement for Hill and Williams - yes, I believe that Williams will easily get poached at a second round price.)

Trades:

Jared Goff and Joseph Noteboom to the Indianapolis Colts for 2021 first and 2021 fifth.

(Stealing from Jerry because it makes sense. Noteboom fills the left tackle void, while Goff fills the quarterback void.)

2021 first (Colts), 2022 first, 2022 third, 2023 first, 2023 third, and conditional 2024 fourth to the Houston Texans for Deshaun Watson.

(Altering a little bit. I think that the Texans will be satisfied with three first round picks, along with two future thirds, and a fourth that can turn up to a first if Watson wins the Super Bowl.)

Darious Williams signed by the Denver Broncos, we refuse to sign, get second round pick.

(Is this a risk? Sure, but I can see someone with a huge cornerback need sign a player of ours for quite a bit of money. It would suck to lose Williams, but I have a plan.)

A'Shawn Robinson to the Tennessee Titans for 2021 fourth round pick.

(Tennessee needs good players on the defensive line; both DaQuan Jones and Jack Crawford are unrestricted free agents. Robinson could easily fit in the middle of that defense, and we could get much needed salary relief and a pick, to boot. And that's not even mentioning the amount of depth we have on our defensive line; even without Robinson, we have Joseph-Day and Gaines in the middle, Donald and Brockers as other starters, and Michael Hoecht and Jonah Williams ready for large roles - hell, even Marquise Copeland and Eric Banks could find potential roles on the D-line. We can afford to lose Robinson and Fox.)

Robert Woods to the Jacksonville Jaguars for 2021 second (formerly Vikings) and 2021 fourth (Jaguars).

(Will also steal this idea from Jerry because I can definitely see us dealing one of our receivers for a potential deep threat.. Jefferson will fill the void that Woods leaves, Tyrell Williams will start, and there's two other drafted receivers I'm high on.)

Tyler Higbee to the Carolina Panthers for 2021 fourth round pick.

(To me, Higbee is who he is: a decent receiver and a good blocker. His contract is a hold-up, but I think that a team like the Panthers, who desperately need weapons and help for their quarterback, could definitely be interested. And in case, you're worried about us having only Brycen Hopkins and Kendall Blanton at tight end? I say, I have a plan to fix it.)

2021 third (Holmes comp) to the Minnesota Vikings for 2021 fourth (Chicago) and 2021 fourth (Buffalo).

(Minnesota moves up, we move down. Simple.)

2021 third round pick (Fowler comp) and 2021 fourth (Littleton comp) to the Philadelphia Eagles for 2021 third round pick.

(Stealing a bit from Jerry. We trade two picks to the cash-strapped Eagles for a higher pick.)

2021 second (Vikings) to Washington for 2021 second and 2021 third.

(Washington moves up for a wide receiver, while we move down and get picks.)

Draft:

2nd (Broncos) - Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State. (6'5", 250 lbs.)

(Freiermuth's called Baby Gronk for a reason, and it clearly shows. He's a physical do-it-all tight end who has the potential to dominate a game. In my mind, the only reason he's not a first round pick is because of his injury history, but he's flat-out the second best tight end in this class only to Pitts, and if he was healthy, in my opinion, he'd challenge him for that spot. You may wonder why I picked him this high over a cornerback. I say that he's the best player available, and Higbee, as much as I like him, is more of a blocking tight end with decent receiver skills. Freiermuth could potentially be elite.)

2nd (Washington) - Quinn Meinerz, OC/OG, Wisconsin-Whitewater. (6'3", 320 lbs.)

(I'll admit, Meinerz won me over at the Senior Bowl. He dominated his peers in the one-on-one drills, showing no signs that he was once a Division III player. He's big, tough, mobile, everything you could ask for for an interior offensive lineman. He'll require further refinement, but I think that he ends up being one of the higher D-3 players ever selected, even over Ali Marpet, who also dominated. I also think that Meinerz could definitely end up playing center after Corbett leaves, and we'll have our center for at least the next three years.

2nd - Nick Bolton, ILB, Missouri. (6'0", 232 lbs.)

(Bolton is a physical, punishing inside linebacker who should be able to give us quality snaps on all three downs from day one. He's likely shorter than his listed 6'0" height, he's maxed out weight-wise, his coverage doesn't look smooth, and he's had targeting penalties in the past. But he simply gets the job done, and he's an Energizer bunny for the defense.)

3rd (Eagles) - Pete Werner, ILB, Ohio State. (6'3", 235 lbs.)

(Even with Bolton in this mock, it can't hurt to take the guy who can also be an elite inside linebacker. Werner has it all: sideline-to-sideline speed and coverage that - while it won't look impressive - does the job, tackling, and great run-stuffing ability. Just a great player to pair with Bolton and the defense.)

3rd (Washington) - Dillon Radunz, OT, North Dakota State. (6'5" 304 lbs.)

(Radunz is showing up at the Senior Bowl, but there's still a lot of questions that he has to answer. He needs to gain strength for the NFL, and he'll also need to answer questions about his technique and level of competition. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him be the next successor to Whitworth. He's got the talent for sure.)

3rd - Jordan Smith, OLB, UAB. (6'6", 255 lbs.)

(Smith was suspended for a credit card scheme at Florida and transferred to UAB. He was absolutely dominant at UAB, has excellent athleticism and length, and is able to drop into coverage and stack-and-shed against the run. He'll need to work on his technique as a pass-rusher, but he's unbelievably skilled, a potential first round pick without the suspension.)

4th (Jaguars) - Israel Mukuamu, CB, South Carolina. (6'3", 205 lbs.)

(Mukuamu is a tall and lengthy cornerback with great ball skills. He's had questions about his athleticism after being torched by Florida. I think he can stick at cornerback, and he thrives on man-to-man coverage.)

4th (Panthers) - Tommy Tremble, TE, Note Dame. (6'4", 248 lbs.)

(I'll be honest: I do not trust Hopkins. I'm sorry, I never liked the pick; I thought - still think - he's way too soft for what we need, and drops too many passes for us to count on in the receiving game. Tremble could be our answer to the Whiners Juszczyk: a do-it-all blocker with good receiving upside. I love how Tremble blocks, I really do. He understands leverage, and has underrated strength. He could be a very good tight end for us.)

4th - (Bears) - Chris Rumph II, ILB/OLB, Duke. (6'3", 225 lbs.)

(Rumph is someone that @jrry32 mentioned, and after looking at his film...I can see why. He flies all over the field, has an astounding array of pass-rushing moves, a motor that doesn't quit, etc. He's literally the perfect edge rusher, but he'll fall because he's underweight. I'd take him with a fourth.)

4th (Bills) - Jaelon Darden, WR, North Texas. (5'9", 170 lbs.)

(I'll be honest: Darden is probably one of the two players I want in this draft, even over Nick Bolton. His ability to start, stop, and start again is almost Faulk-like. He's amazing at returns; despite stopping and starting, he'll always net you positive yards. He's explosive, has solid hands, and runs routes well. Yeah, he may be small, but I don't think he's ever missed a game. Count me as wanting him.)

5th (Colts) - Rodarius Williams, CB, Oklahoma State. (6'0", 193 lbs.)

(Williams is durable, aggressive, and lengthy, causing a lot of pass-breakups. His flaws stem from lack of interceptions and an unwillingness to bite on a double move so much that he'll allow other completions. In a press-man scheme, I can imagine him being a lot better.)

6th - Mike Strachan, WR, Charleston. (6'5", 225 lbs.)

(Strachan is the player I want in this draft above anyone. He's huge, physical, a former track star, has solid hands and a my-ball mentality, and reminds me so much of Kenny Golladay when he came out. Yes, he has issues with routes and is raw, but he's got oodles of potential, and I want that potential on the Rams.)

7th - Jah-Maine Martin, RB, North Carolina A&T. (5'10", 214 lbs.)

(Martin is not a three-down back. Let's make that perfectly clear. He's a decent blocker...but he does not have the hands to be a threat in the passing game, unless we're talking screens and maybe checkdowns - and even those are iffy. But he's a big physical back who dominated at his level, has breakaway speed, and is quite scary with the ball in his hands.)

Undrafted Free Agents:

Thomas Fletcher, LS, Alabama

(Patrick Mannelly award winner for best long-snapper. I need not explain more.)

Roster (starters = bold / rookies = italics):

QB - Deshaun Watson, John Wolford.
RB - Cam Akers, Darrell Henderson, Jah-Maine Martin, Raymond Calais.
WR - Cooper Kupp, Van Jefferson, Tyrell Williams, Jaelon Darden, Mike Strachan.
TE - Pat Freiermuth, Brycen Hopkins, Tommy Tremble, Kendall Blanton.
OL - Andrew Whitworth, Quinn Meinerz, Austin Corbett, David Edwards, Rob Havenstein, Bobby Evans, Tremayne Anchrum, Chandler Brewer, Dillon Radunz.
DL - Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Greg Gaines, Michael Hoecht, Jonah Williams.
LB - Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Nick Bolton, Pete Werner, Justin Hollins, Terrell Lewis, Jordan Smith, Chris Rumph II, Travin Howard, Micah Kiser, Christian Rozeboom.
DB - Jalen Ramsey, David Long, Jordan Fuller, Taylor Rapp, Terrell Burgess, Artie Burns, Israel Mukuamu, Rodarius Williams, J.R. Reed, JuJu Hughes.
ST - Matt Gay, Johnny Hekker, Thomas Fletcher.

Feel free to kill me. :p

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love the draft. Don't understand trading Higbee or A'Shawn. I am working on my mock for this weekend right now and literally have both Meinerz and Darden penciled into it, so thanks for beating me to the punch. :p

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Love it.

Just make sure you put a cover sheet on it before faxing it to Les, m'kay? That'd be great.

And where are those TPS reports? You read the memo on the new cover sheets? That's okay. I'll resend it to you.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
wow so many trades there that i almost forgot that we got watkins. i don't know if all that could be worked out and we give up so much in the future but other then that love this draft.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Love the draft. Don't understand trading Higbee or A'Shawn. I am working on my mock for this weekend right now and literally have both Meinerz and Darden penciled into it, so thanks for beating me to the punch. :p

I traded Higbee because he costs a lot of money for a tight end who mostly blocks. I prefer Freiermuth/Tremble/Hopkins as a potential tandem in potential 12/22 packages. Robinson costs a fair bit of money as well, and he didn't show up last year. And we have the depth on the defensive line with younger players, and Robinson's role is mostly filled by SJD, Gaines, and Brockers. But you made me realize something: I never put the Titans pick we got for Robinson in this mock, haha! And apparently, great minds think alike if you're picking Darden and Meinerz!

Love it.

Just make sure you put a cover sheet on it before faxing it to Les, m'kay? That'd be great.

And where are those TPS reports? You read the memo on the new cover sheets? That's okay. I'll resend it to you.

Hah! I'm not a front office aficionado, so I don't know how the cap works. I'd love to fax this to McSnead, but alas, I'm not in that position.

wow so many trades there that i almost forgot that we got watkins. i don't know if all that could be worked out and we give up so much in the future but other then that love this draft.

So many trades, especially for fourth round picks, that I forgot one of them! I'd say that future picks are nothing compared to potentially getting Watson, who can be a franchise quarterback, who's younger and better than Goff is right now and likely in the future.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Now that it’s official and we traded for Stafford instead, how does that affect your plan?