Memento's Final (Unless Things Go South) 2021 Mock Draft.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yes, this'll be my final mock draft for now; I may end up doing one more, but only if something drastically changes before draft day (like a trade or major free agent signing). I'll be including some interesting UDFAs, and I'm probably going to make a couple of trades, as well (three, by my count), so...well, here it is:

TRADES:

Rob Havenstein to the Tennessee Titans for #85 overall.

(Tennessee swung and missed with Isaiah Wilson, and they'll desperately need an offensive tackle aside from Lewan, who suffered an ACL tear in the midpoint of last season. Havenstein can't replace Lewan, but given that the Titans need offensive tackle help, they'll probably give a third for a sure thing.)

#57 overall pick to the Cleveland Browns for #89, #91 overall, and #169 overall.

(Cleveland moves up to select a falling interior defensive lineman, while we trade back for more assets this year.)

#88 overall and #252 overall to the Los Angeles Chargers for #97 overall, #118 overall, and #241 overall.)

(Chargers trade up for a safety, and we trade down for an extra pick while swapping seventh rounders.)

Okay, now for the draft:

Draft:

#85 overall (Titans) - Josh Myers, OC, Ohio State. (6'5", 312 lbs.)

(If Myers falls to this pick, we should sprint to the podium. He's, in my honest opinion, the best center in this class. He's not going to wow you, but he does everything well. Pass-protection, run-blocking, line-calls, working with a quarterback, snapping the ball...he's just a solid center who will be a cornerstone of an offensive line.)

#89 overall (Browns) - Pete Werner, ILB, Ohio State. (6'2", 242 lbs.)

(Werner may not go at this spot, as he's really put himself on the map with his Pro Day. But he's intelligent, athletic, and is just steady; you won't see him miss many tackles, and he's always in the right spot.)

#91 overall (Browns) - Spencer Brown, OT, Northern Iowa. (6'9", 314 lbs.)

(The crazy thing about Brown is not that he ran a fucking 4.84 with a 4.40 short shuttle and a sub-6.00 . It's not that he can pack on even more weight without losing that agility. It's that it all plays on tape. He's an athletic freak at right tackle, and in all honesty, I think he could easily be Whit's long-term replacement.)

#97 overall (Chargers) - Jordan Smith, OLB, UAB. (6'5", 255 lbs.)

(Smith is an athletic pass-rushing freak of nature at edge. He'll fall because of his role in a credit card fraud scheme and because he's absolutely raw and probably needs to redshirt a year behind our other outside linebackers. But his talent is impossible to deny, as are his oodles of potential. Imagine him learning from Leonard Floyd.)

#103 overall (Holmes compensatory) - Kelvin Joseph, CB, Kentucky. (6'1", 192 lbs.)

(Joseph has maturity issues and is very inexperienced as a starter. That's why he'll fall here. But his talent is undeniable. He shut down his side of the field when Alabama came to town, and he loves the physicality when it comes to run support and press-man. I'd love to have him learn from Ramsey.)

#118 overall (Chargers) - Jaelon Darden, WR, North Texas. (5'7", 176 lbs.)

(Darden is undersized, yes, but he's my favorite player in this draft, the one I hope the Rams decide to draft. He is a jitterbug, someone who is insanely cat-quick, who has underrated deep speed, has a surprising catch radius for his size, and knows how to run every route. Darden is also a fantastic returner, so I think he could easily find a spot on this roster based on that alone.)

#141 overall (Littleton compensatory) - Osa Odighizuwa, DT, UCLA. (6'2", 280 lbs.)

(Odighizuwa is the younger brother of Owa, who was a third round pick of the Giants. I love this kid's hands, motor, quickness off the snap. No, he'll never be a great run defender at the point of attack, but I'd love to see him work with Donald.)

#169 overall (Browns) - Tre' McKitty, TE, Georgia. (6'4", 246 lbs.)

(McKitty is a very underrated tight end in this draft. He doesn't have a tool that stands out, but he's a solid receiver, a solid blocker, and should be a solid Everett replacement.)

#209 overall - Michael Strachan, WR, Charleston. (6'5", 225 lbs.)

(Strachan just ran a 4.46 at his size, had nineteen touchdowns this year, and he's garnered interest from teams around the league. He's sushi-raw, needs work on routes, and basically needs time to grow. But he could end up becoming a top flight receiver in the NFL, I really believe that.)

#241 overall (Chargers) - Javian Hawkins, RB, Louisville. (5'9", 196 lbs.)

(The Rams were looking at Hawkins, so I decided to look up what he's done. Well, the man nicknamed "Playstation" definitely lives up to the hype. He's insanely fast, having busted three runs of seventy yards or more in 2020. He also thrives at finding space when plays break down, and he has receiving and returning potential as well. However, he doesn't have the ability to break tackles, and his vision in the open field is surprisingly-lacking. But he could end up being a solid back in our stable.)

Undrafted Free Agency:

Forrest Merrill, DT, Arkansas State. (6'0", 322 lbs.)

(Merrill is a load at the point of attack and is an awesome run stuffer. Pass rushing will never be his game, but he has a quicker step than one would expect. Could be a solid SJD replacement when/if he leaves via free agency.

Gerrid Doaks, RB, Cincinnati. (6'1", 225 lbs.)

(Doaks has been in one of my mock drafts in the seventh round, but he could end up falling out of the draft because of a checkered injury history. However, he's a big back who could have three down potential with excellent speed for a man his size.)

Zech McPhearson, CB, Texas Tech. (5'11", 196 lbs.)

(McPhearson is part of a family of athletes, is solid on special teams, and has potential beyond that, given his baseball background. While he's highly-intelligent, he's struggled with reading routes, and he lacks hops on 50-50 balls. Still, he's worth a flyer.)

Tyree Gillespie, S, Missouri. (6'0", 207 lbs.)

Joshuah Bledsoe, S, Missouri. (5'11", 201 lbs.)

(Yes, I'm putting both Mizzou safeties here, because I can and will have a Mizzou player or two in my final mock - and given that Bolton is a fantasy at this point, I figure I have the right to add these two safeties. Bledsoe has better production; Gillespie has better measurables. But both could be solid interchangeable safeties in the NFL.)

Thomas Fletcher, LS, Alabama. (6'1", 235 lbs.)

(Fletcher got the Patrick Mannelly award for best long-snapper in college football. That should be enough to solidify his spot.)

Roster: (Starters - bold; rookies - italics)

QB - Matt Stafford, John Wolford.

(No one should be surprised at this. Stafford at starter and Wolford as the backup should be obvious.)

RB - Cam Akers, Darrell Henderson, Javian Hawkins, Gerrid Doaks.

(Running back should absolutely be a strength. Akers and Henderson should receive the bulk of the carries, although I wouldn't be shocked if Doaks carved out a role as a goalline/short yardage back. Add in Hawkins at kick returner, and you should have a bunch of solid backs.)

WR - Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Van Jefferson, Desean Jackson, Jaelon Darden, Michael Strachan.

(Well, we won't be lacking for talent at receiver. Woods, Kupp, and Jefferson should see the lion's share, while Jackson comes in occasionally. Darden starts out as a punt returner before eventually taking Jackson's spot. Strachan takes a redshirt year.

TE - Tyler Higbee, Tre' McKitty, Johnny Mundt.

(No, the tight end room is probably not as dynamic as one would hope, but Higbee, McKitty, an d Mundt should suffice.)

OL - Andrew Whitworth, David Edwards, Austin Corbett, Bobby Evans, Joseph Noteboom, Chandler Brewer, Tremayne Anchrum, Josh Myers, Spencer Brown.

(The only surprise might be Noteboom starting, but I feel that Brown will have to prove himself before McVay trusts him, along with Myers. Evans, I think has a good chance at running with the right guard spot, while I think Corbett is intelligent enough to play center. Edwards is a solid guard, Anchrum should be what Barrett Jones was supposed to be as a super sub, and if Brewer opts back in, we have a nice swing tackle option.

DL - Aaron Donald, Sebastian Joseph-Day, A'Shawn Robinson, Greg Gaines, Osa Odighizuwa, Forrest Merrill.

(AD is AD. Joseph-Day and Robinson get the other starting nods. Gaines provides a backup to SJD, Osa provides pass-rushing juice, and Merrill takes a redshirt year.)

LB - Leonard Floyd, Kenny Young, Pete Werner, Justin Hollins, Terrell Lewis, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Jordan Smith, Micah Kiser, Travin Howard, Christian Rozeboom.

(Pete Werner is the only starting rookie, aside from the long snapper, and he deserves the job. Kenny Young could be replaced by Howard if he ends up being a cap casualty - and if he is, Reeder has a spot on the roster. Floyd, Hollins, Lewis, and Okoronkwo should be a solid rotation of edge rushers, while Smith takes a redshirt year. Kiser, Howard (if he doesn't start) and Rozeboom should be solid on special teams.)

DB - Jalen Ramsey, Darious Williams, Jordan Fuller, Taylor Rapp, David Long, Kelvin Joseph, Zech McPhearson, Terrell Burgess, Tyree Gillespie, Joshuah Bledsoe.

(Ramsey and Williams are obvious starters, along with Fuller. I think Rapp bounces back with a healthy season, and Long realizes his potential at cornerback. Burgess remains an option as a big nickel. Joseph takes a redshirt year, unless - fate forbid - someone gets hurt. Gillespie and Bledsoe are solid special teams players...but if y'all feel like being spoilsports and say that they won't be UDFAs, make that J.R. Reed and Juju Hughes.)

ST - Matt Gay, Johnny Hekker, Thomas Fletcher.

(Only newcomer is Fletcher, who will fight for - and win - the long-snapping job. Gay and Hekker return.)

Thoughts, comments, critiques, all are welcome.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hard to not like this draft and you throw in a Long Snapper for me as an UDRFA...You're the best @Memento

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I would not trade out of 57 unless like some mock from a poster when he traded down 2 spots. I think a top 5 ILB is there like Surratt or Cox or maybe Wyatt Davis slips. I would not use it on a Center too many options and no clear cut pecking order.

We are in a win now mode we need impact players at least 2 I am a fan of Werner and Fuller can lobby or not for him because he knows him best.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I would not trade out of 57 unless like some mock from a poster when he traded down 2 spots. I think a top 5 ILB is there like Surratt or Cox or maybe Wyatt Davis slips. I would not use it on a Center too many options and no clear cut pecking order.

We are in a win now mode we need impact players at least 2 I am a fan of Werner and Fuller can lobby or not for him because he knows him best.
On this team... Center is absolutely an impact player, I consider Center a critical need. Biggest hole Rams have on the OL and it's not even close. Serious issues with run game due to Blythe's limitations. With a limited run game the O became 1-dimensional in '20.
@Memento if the draft fell out this way I'd be dancin'. Great mock. I"m not sure your first 2 picks will fall that low though lol, but if they do, ya "run to the podium" (or click "send" on the Zoom call or whatever they do now, smh). I don't have a problem with getting trade value for Hav. He has limitations with athletic OLB's. The 6'-9" kid would do nicely there. Not sure 'Boom can play RT tho (edit: he's a lefty...).
I really like that Doaks kid, nice tape w/ lots of pass catch highlights & a nose for tough yardage. Would be a great pickup after losing MB, which will be felt if his role is not replaced. A little speed in the WR room, a LS, a massive NT kid that reminds me (a bit) of Vita.... great draft.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Love this draft. I’m a bit concerned trading Hav and going with a new ROT along with new OC. But at some point you got to let these younger guys play.

My main issue with this mock draft is waiting until 85 to make our first pick and get our future OC. I literally will go thru the whole fridge of beer if that happens due to stress. I think 70s might be the trade back range to still get our OC and not cause me to have a heart attack

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Best yet I think Mem

Thanks!

Hard to not like this draft and you throw in a Long Snapper for me as an UDRFA...You're the best @Memento

Hey, only the best for you, Den! :D

Very nice.

Thank you!

It's like you read my mind.... @Memento

Well, I can't say it was hard to read. :p

We are in a win-now, that's true, but we also have a need for draft picks. Surratt and Cox are solid prospects, but I decided to go with Werner. And I don't think we really need a guard more than a center.

Did you forget about Brycen Hopkins? How come he isn't listed in the TE room?

Oh my goodness, I did! I actually didn't mean to forget him this time; I knew I was forgetting someone, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember who. Thanks for reminding me, Arky!

I would draft TE and receiver earlier

While there are some great receivers and tight ends early on Day Two, I decided to go with the two Day Three receivers I loved the most as well as a tight end who is criminally underrated in this draft. McKitty is just a solid tight end in every facet of the game.

On this team... Center is absolutely an impact player, I consider Center a critical need. Biggest hole Rams have on the OL and it's not even close. Serious issues with run game due to Blythe's limitations. With a limited run game the O became 1-dimensional in '20.
@Memento if the draft fell out this way I'd be dancin'. Great mock. I"m not sure your first 2 picks will fall that low though lol, but if they do, ya "run to the podium" (or click "send" on the Zoom call or whatever they do now, smh). I don't have a problem with getting trade value for Hav. He has limitations with athletic OLB's. The 6'-9" kid would do nicely there. Not sure 'Boom can play RT tho (edit: he's a lefty...).
I really like that Doaks kid, nice tape w/ lots of pass catch highlights & a nose for tough yardage. Would be a great pickup after losing MB, which will be felt if his role is not replaced. A little speed in the WR room, a LS, a massive NT kid that reminds me (a bit) of Vita.... great draft.

Center is my top need in this draft. If we don't come away with a good one, we've fucked it up. And I think it's a possibility that both Myers and Werner fall. Noteboom basically plays because of experience, but I can definitely see Brown take his spot if Noteboom struggles; Brown is simply a freak of nature; men that big should not have the mobility he does. And while I'd prefer Jah-Maine Martin (who is staying in school this year), I've definitely warmed up to Doaks. Thanks for the comments.

Love this draft. I’m a bit concerned trading Hav and going with a new ROT along with new OC. But at some point you got to let these younger guys play.

My main issue with this mock draft is waiting until 85 to make our first pick and get our future OC. I literally will go thru the whole fridge of beer if that happens due to stress. I think 70s might be the trade back range to still get our OC and not cause me to have a heart attack

I get it. But this is a very deep center class, and I wanted the extra assets. And yeah, you have to let the younger players play, but honestly, I only see Werner and Fletcher starting - and even the former could take time.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Trading the team's second best OLineman would be a mistake, IMO. Plus, I have my doubts that they'd get a 3rd rounder for Havenstein when they can pick up a cheaper alternative in a deep OT draft class.

Given the limited access to players, I'm beginning to wonder if teams are going to willing to give up top 100 choices instead of taking more dart throws in this draft.

But, if not, I just noticed that the Seahawks select one spot ahead of the Rams in the 2nd round and only have 2 other selections in the entire draft. They might be desperate enough to take far less to acquire more selections.

Just out of curiosity, have you considered making a no-trade mock or one with fewer trades?

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Trading the team's second best OLineman would be a mistake, IMO. Plus, I have my doubts that they'd get a 3rd rounder for Havenstein when they can pick up a cheaper alternative in a deep OT draft class.

Given the limited access to players, I'm beginning to wonder if teams are going to willing to give up top 100 choices instead of taking more dart throws in this draft.

But, if not, I just noticed that the Seahawks select one spot ahead of the Rams in the 2nd round and only have 2 other selections in the entire draft. They might be desperate enough to take far less to acquire more selections.

Just out of curiosity, have you considered making a no-trade mock or one with fewer trades?

I honestly believe that Edwards is better than Havenstein. Havenstein is the second-most experienced, definitely a solid right tackle, but I feel that we need picks more. And I figure that the Titans, being a veteran team with Super Bowl aspirations, so long as Henry remains healthy, would trade a third.

And yes, both of the middle ones are fair points.

I have with other drafts, but we simply don't have enough draft picks in this one. I fully expect us to trade down for more picks at some point; we need people on rookie contracts, we have a fair few holes to fill, and it's a good draft to trade down in.