Memento's 2024 Very Merry Mock-mas Offseason.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This draft has loads of good edge prospects, with six potential first-rounders. At least one of them should be available when we pick. You take one of them in the first round, as it’s cheaper than paying for Burns or Young, and a CB or safety in round two. You then spend the FA money on locking up Dotson and bolstering the secondary.

And if you trade out of the first round like what McSnead has done - without fail - in their entire tenure together? Tnere's prospects there for the taking at #32 (what I had the Rams selecting at; I have them winning the Super Bowl in this mock and any others unless proven otherwise), but none of the corners or edge rushers, I feel, will make it that far. Guarantee offensive line does.

I'd rather pay for a younger edge and a younger corner in free agency; I don't like the cornerback class after Day 1 unless we're talking KAD (maybe Mitchell if he somehow slips out of round 1); T.J. Tampa and Cam Hart fit Seattle's system more than ours, and I'm looking for corners who fit our system, particularly one who can play a STAR role; obviously Durant can't, and if we're signing a top corner in free agency, he better be covering the top wide receiver. That's why I like KAD, despite his size, he's perfect for the STAR role because he's played something similar this year at Mizzou, and he's responded with four picks and a forced fumble, and a lot of physicality.

Dotson is good, but I would rather have someone younger, better, and cheaper - all of which Beebe provides.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
I accept your points, but simply disagree. Life would be terribly boring if everyone agreed all the time.

I think that we go for the best defensive player available with each of our first two picks, but a lot will depend upon what happens in free agency first. Given that top tier edge rushers cost a fortune in FA, I would rather allocate our resources to a proven player in our system (Dotson) and a less premium player in the secondary.

Whilst we can all see that you have a draft crush for Beebe, there’s no way of knowing if he is better than Dotson, as he hasn’t played a single down in the NFL yet. I’ll go for the guy who has already demonstrated that he can play at a Pro Bowl level in our system, thanks.

Last edited:

Memento

Name
Jemma
I accept your points, but simply disagree. Life would be terribly boring if everyone agreed all the time.

I think that we go for the best defensive player available with each of our first two picks, but a lot will depend upon what happens in free agency first. Given that top tier edge rushers costs a fortune in FA, I would rather allocate our resources to a proven player in our system (Dotson) and a less premium player in the secondary.

Whilst we can all see that you have a draft crush for Beebe, there’s no way of knowing if he is better than Dotson, as he hasn’t played a single down in the NFL yet. I’ll go for the guy who has already demonstrated that he can play at a Pro Bowl level in our system, thanks.

Fair enough. I accept that you disagree. :)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You said, and I quote "I'm not downgrading the offensive line." Do you believe that Beebe is a downgrade over Dotson? I certainly don't.
Why do you insist on strawman arguments?? I make no mention of Beebe, and my point has literally nothing to do with him.
Removing Dotson is downgrading the offensive line. Period. End stop.
Chase Young won Defensive Rookie of the Year. The ONLY reason he's been a so-called "borderline-bust" is because of injuries. I admit he has his warts, but given his sky-high potential, the fact that he's produced when healthy, and the fact that Burns and Allen will be tagged, I can't see anyone better.
DROY was a long time ago, and frankly, who did he beat out? Jeremy Chin? Please. And not for nothing, he sucked before he got hurt in his 2nd season. He's a 1 trick pony and should be dominating in that 9ers system, but he isnt doing much at all. Even in Washington he compiled the majority of his sacks in just 2 games. Would I take a flyer on him, to see if the Rams could bring out his best? Of course, but not to the tune of 100 mill and therefore not re-signing a player who was so vital to the team's success

Memento

Name
Jemma
Why do you insist on strawman arguments?? I make no mention of Beebe, and my point has literally nothing to do with him.
Removing Dotson is downgrading the offensive line. Period. End stop.

DROY was a long time ago, and frankly, who did he beat out? Jeremy Chin? Please. And not for nothing, he sucked before he got hurt in his 2nd season. He's a 1 trick pony and should be dominating in that 9ers system, but he isnt doing much at all. Even in Washington he compiled the majority of his sacks in just 2 games. Would I take a flyer on him, to see if the Rams could bring out his best? Of course, but not to the tune of 100 mill and therefore not re-signing a player who was so vital to the team's success

Okay. I apologize for my strawman argument, Dieter. I just honestly think that Beebe is an upgrade over Dotson, and I am as high on him as I have been for any interior lineman.

But again, I'm signing an edge and Okudah; those are the positions we need the absolute most. Young just happens to be the youngest edge on the market with the most potential to improve (i.e., I don't want Hunter). That's going to cost money in free agency, A-Jax will get a first round tender in RFA (that's another lot of millions) and Dotson has to get paid as well. Simply put, he's going to make bank, and I don't think it'll be with us.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
What a great haul, @Memento . Just makes me nervous to see Dotson & Shelton go. But basically swapping Dotson's inevitable high salary for Chase Young, that'd be terrific, and if the Guard & C pix pan out, that'll work.
But, if they don't.... it's just been such a long time since we had an o-line this tight, and both of those guys are a major part of it. Plus Havenstein? the C & whole right side replaced?? This o-line is arguably the biggest reason we're 5-1 the last 6 games. I dunno if even swapping for Chase Young is worth it, it's that important. "Ain't broke, don't fix" certainly applies here.
Otherwise, that said I LOVE awesome mocks like this, a lot of fun to contemplate. Good work!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're paying how much for Okudah? He got traded for a fifth before the season and hasn't been that good in Atlanta. No way.

Memento

Name
Jemma
What a great haul, @Memento . Just makes me nervous to see Dotson & Shelton go. But basically swapping Dotson's inevitable high salary for Chase Young, that'd be terrific, and if the Guard & C pix pan out, that'll work.
But, if they don't.... it's just been such a long time since we had an o-line this tight, and both of those guys are a major part of it. Plus Havenstein? the C & whole right side replaced?? This o-line is arguably the biggest reason we're 5-1 the last 6 games. I dunno if even swapping for Chase Young is worth it, it's that important. "Ain't broke, don't fix" certainly applies here.
Otherwise, that said I LOVE awesome mocks like this, a lot of fun to contemplate. Good work!

Yeah, it is a risk, which is why in my next mock, I'll definitely keep Havenstein. I love McClendon a lot, but yeah, we could see another fair bit of the offensive line replaced: Noteboom, Allen, Shelton, and Dotson are likely not going to be on this team next year.

We're paying how much for Okudah? He got traded for a fifth before the season and hasn't been that good in Atlanta. No way.

Okudah's twenty-four, a former number three overall pick, and is starting for one of the better secondaries in the league in Atlanta. He's going to make bank. Him or C.J. Henderson would be my targets for the secondary, but they're both better than what we have by far.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okudah's twenty-four, a former number three overall pick, and is starting for one of the better secondaries in the league in Atlanta. He's going to make bank. Him or C.J. Henderson would be my targets for the secondary, but they're both better than what we have by far.
Jemma, Okudah garnered only a fifth round pick back in April. He's been injury prone, hasn't played to potential when on the field, and isn't having a standout year in Atlanta. He's been okay. I'm all for taking a shot on him as a reclamation project, but we should be paying him "prove it" sort of money, not elite CB money. (For reference, Trevon Diggs is making $19.4 million per year, and Marshon Lattimore is making $19.53 million per year.)

If that's his market, count me out. If we're throwing a big contract like that at a CB, give it to L'Jarius Sneed. (Jaylon Johnson is talented, but I would be concerned about his injury history.)

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
3rd (Bears) - Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo. (6'0", 196 lbs.)
I see Mitchell has been projected to us in the first round in this mock:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/2...-Commodes-jayden-daniels-new-england-patriots

You’re clearly ahead of the curve, Memento. :thumbsup1:

Memento

Name
Jemma
Jemma, Okudah garnered only a fifth round pick back in April. He's been injury prone, hasn't played to potential when on the field, and isn't having a standout year in Atlanta. He's been okay. I'm all for taking a shot on him as a reclamation project, but we should be paying him "prove it" sort of money, not elite CB money. (For reference, Trevon Diggs is making $19.4 million per year, and Marshon Lattimore is making $19.53 million per year.)

If that's his market, count me out. If we're throwing a big contract like that at a CB, give it to L'Jarius Sneed. (Jaylon Johnson is talented, but I would be concerned about his injury history.)

I’ll take your advice (I’ll take your former Gator in the next offseason in Henderson, lawl), but I still think Okudah makes serious bank.
I see Mitchell has been projected to us in the first round in this mock:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/2...-Commodes-jayden-daniels-new-england-patriots

You’re clearly ahead of the curve, Memento. :thumbsup1:

Maybe too far ahead (the Brenden Rice pick in the next mock will show it, haha).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ll take your advice (I’ll take your former Gator in the next offseason in Henderson, lawl), but I still think Okudah makes serious bank.

Maybe too far ahead (the Brenden Rice pick in the next mock will show it, haha).
No, that's not necessary lol.

Memento

Name
Jemma
No, that's not necessary lol.

I kinda think it is; C.J. Henderson was my second choice anyway, lawl. I just want a young corner who can lock down one side, and KAD aside, I’m not in love with any Day 2/3 corners. Maybe a corner from the first round slides, but I’m not counting on it; that’s why I paid Okudah that kind of money.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I kinda think it is; C.J. Henderson was my second choice anyway, lawl. I just want a young corner who can lock down one side, and KAD aside, I’m not in love with any Day 2/3 corners. Maybe a corner from the first round slides, but I’m not counting on it; that’s why I paid Okudah that kind of money.
But Henderson can't do that. He hasn't played well in any year since entering the NFL and is a poor tackler.