Memento's 2020 Absolutely No Trades Mock Offseason.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, we're in January, and I promised no trades on the responses of my last mock. Well, people of RamsonDemand, I have returned to keep that promise (even if I have to steal a quote from General Douglas MacArthur to do it). Well, shall we?

Cut:

Eric Weddle
Clay Matthews
Nickell Robey-Coleman
Malcolm Brown
Tanzel Smart
Jamil Demby

(Both Weddle and Matthews have long overstayed their welcomes. NRC and Brown save money, while Smart and Demby save money and allow better players to take their places.)

Restructure:

Jared Goff
Brandin Cooks

(Both restructures give us much-needed relief in the cap.)

Jalen Ramsey - five years, 84 million overall.
Cooper Kupp - five years, 45 million overall.
John Johnson III - four years, 32 million overall.
Greg Zuerlein - three years, 7 million overall.
Morgan Fox - RFA
Johnny Mundt - ERFA
Nsimba Webster - ERFA
Kendall Blanton - ERFA
Coleman Shelton - ERFA
Marquise Copeland - Practice Squad
Greg Dortch - Practice Squad.
Jachai Polite - Practice Squad
Landis Durham - Practice Squad
John Wolford - Practice Squad
Jeff Holland - Practice Squad
Adonis Alexander - Practice Squad
Nate Trewyn - Practice Squad
Ethan Wolf - Practice Squad

(Might as well get the Ramsey out of the way this year; pay the man to lock down one side of the field. It also makes sense to do an extension with Kupp and JJ3 because they'll be worth more on the open market. Zuerlein, for all his inconsistency, is still our best option at kicker. Morgan Fox is the only RFA who gets re-signed, and the others are ERFAs and practice squad candidates.)

Release:

Cory Littleton
Dante Fowler
Andrew Whitworth
Michael Brockers
Blake Bortles
Bryce Hager
Jojo Natson
Donte Deayon
Austin Blythe
Marqui Christian
Mike Thomas
Josh Carraway
Jeremiah Kolone

(Unfortunately, we can't keep everyone. That means that Littleton, as much as I hate it, will be let go. Fowler goes to another team. Brockers and Whitworth are unfortunately not going to stay either. Christian goes for an opportunity to start, as well as Bortles. The others, I'm fine with losing.)

Free Agency:

Alec Ogletree - two years, 9 million overall.

(Here we sign an old friend. Ogletree is probably going to get cut by the Giants, which helps us. Ogletree is still a very good linebacker who should be able to fill in adequately for Littleton.)

Forrest Lamp - three years, 12 million overall.

(Lamp was a favorite here in his draft class, and in this mock, I'm thinking he's cut by the Chargers for all of the injuries he's suffered. I say,, let us sign him to a contract worth six million in the first year with three million in the next two. Lamp has excellent position flexibility, being able to play both guard spots and center. And if he's ever healthy, look out.

Draft:

2nd - Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State.

(Arnette was not a draftable prospect before this year. He struggled with off-the--field issues, and he wasn't good at cornerback. What changed? Maturity and a new coaching staff. He's become a good press-corner who is very sticky in man-coverage. He has good, but not great, athleticism, and his ball skills have improved. He still needs work with run support, but he should be a great corner opposite Ramsey.)

3rd - Leki Fotu, DE, Utah. (6'5", 337 lbs.)

(Fotu is an absolute monster when it comes to strength and has surprising quickness for his size. He's got a hell of a motor for his size, outstanding against the run, can easily eat double and triple teams, and makes offenses pay if he's left with one to beat. He doesn't have the best lower-body, though and his leverage is poor at best. He needs more pass-rushing moves, as well. If anyone can unlock his potential, though, it's this team. And if I were this kid? I'd pay attention to AD when it comes to learning technique and leverage.)

4th - Netane Muti, OC, Fresno State. (6'3", 307 lbs.)

(OUR NEW CENTER, PEOPLE! Yes, I know that Muti hasn't really played center, but with cross-training and weight-rooms in the NFL, I think he could be a fixture at center. His movement skills are one-of-a-kind. He's got a serious mean streak in the run game, and loves to impose his will. His pass-protection needs work, but there's tons of potential there as well. His problem is that he's had numerous injuries in college, which has cost him all but one season: his redshirt-freshman year (as he even lost his true freshman year to injury. If he's ever healthy, though...he will be an elite center. You heard it here, and if I'm wrong, feel free to slam me.)

4th (comp) - Alton Robinson, OLB, Syracuse.

(I admittedly first noticed Robinson from @Merlin 's mock, but I looked into him more, and I think he could be a real threat off the edge. He's got an explosive first step, and is able to bend around the corner. He also has great length and he's a decent run defender. He does have a second-degree robbery charge in high school that forced teams to rescind their offers to him. He needs to work on his technique a bit as well. In the fourth round, though, that's a solid pick.)

6th - Trey Adams, OT, Washington. (6'8", 308 lbs.)

(Adams is probably the most polarizing prospect in this class. He was rated as a first rounder at times, and he's got the length, strength, quickness, nastiness, and overall athleticism to be a starting left tackle in this league. The problem? He's been very injury-prone, with ACL and back injuries that cost him most of 2017 and 2018. He also had a hamstring issue at the Senior Bowl, which could really deflate his stock. He struggles with leverage, being 6'8", and his flexibility remains strictly to tackle. But in the sixth round? This is a good pick.)

7th - Sewo Olonilua, RB, TCU. (6'3", 240 lbs.)

(I will draft this kid in every mock until the Rams listen to my advice, I shit you not. My first point I want to make: Olonilua is an athletic freak of nature. He squats 770 (705 as a double), benches 470, and runs a 4.47. I'm not making this shit up. And that athleticism translates to the football field. He's got quick feet, can bounce runs to the outside, but he's an absolute monster to take down. He will break through arm tackles and has been noted to drag defenders with him. Then why, you ask, is he in the seventh round? One of the reasons is that he was arrested on a felony drug charge (that he has since been cleared, to my knowledge.) He's been suspended a few times as well, aside from that. Also, his vision isn't the greatest. But seriously, in the seventh round, with the last selection, this is a solid pick.)

Roster:

QB - Jared Goff, John Wolford.
RB - Todd Gurley, Darrell Henderson, Sewo Olonilua
WR - Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Brandin Cooks, Josh Reynolds, Nsimba Webster, Greg Dortch.
TE - Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett, Johnny Mundt, Kendall Blanton.
OL - Bobby Evans, Austin Corbett, Forrest Lamp, David Edwards, Rob Havenstein, Joseph Noteboom, Netane Muti, Trey Adams, Chandler Brewer,
DL - Aaron Donald, Leki Fotu, Greg Gaines, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Morgan Fox, Marquise Copeland.
LB - Samson Ebukam, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Alec Ogletree, Natrez Patrick, Travin Howard, Micah Kiser, Kenny Young, Jeff Holland, Jachai Polite, Alton Robinson.
CB - Jalen Ramsey, Damon Arnette, David Long, John Johnson, Taylor Rapp, Troy Hill, Darious Williams, Jake Gervase, Nick Scott, Adonis Alexander.
ST - Greg Zuerlein, Johnny Hekker, Jake McQuaide.

Thoughts, comments, critiques, all are welcome.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Nice job. On the extensions, I believe Les doesn't give early pay increases. Therefore, the cap dollars will not increase until Kupp, Ramsey, and JJIII are FAs in 2021.

With that said, Littleton is a huge upgrade over Tree. Let's offer him at 8M per year.

Our slot CB needs to tackle in run support. Not sure I want to drop Littleton and NRC. We lose two good cover guys and sure tacklers. We're going to give up a ton on the run to 11 formations and TEs. Replacing him with a rookie is a crap shot upgrade we may not realize for three years.

Interesting to see how KYoung, Polite, Obo, and Holland develop this off-season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get it but not interested in bringing Tree back. Also I read three mocks today that had Adams picked on the 20-40 range so the 6th seems a stretch. Like the work though!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Props for being realistic with the cap for 2020, and I actually like bringing back Ogletree - we need a cheap solution for ILB and that could be it.

But regarding Kupp's $9 million per year...

Player A: 104 catches 1165 yards 7 TDs, 69% catch
Player B: 94 catches 1161 yards 10 TDs, 70% catch

Player A is DeAndre Hopkins
Payer B is Cooper Kupp

Hopkins got 5 years $81 million

Now, Kupp isn't really as good as him - but Kupp led the team in receiving his rookie year, led before his injury last year, and led the team this year.

If Kupp signed with the Rams for $9 million per year I would question his sanity.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting mock, my friend! I think we're getting bargains on Coop and JJ. I expect them to cost more. I've heard great things about Muti. He's on my list. My only concern with him is durability. I am not a fan of taking a CB in Round 2. Even after letting NRC go, we have four players who could start at the position. I think we have more pressing needs and better value there. I'd also like to see us draft an ILB.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well done and with not trades, very nice and believe you're right about RB Olonilua would be a great pick late. Arnette one hell of a CB and although there are other needs, teams won't be able to pass on the Los Angeles Rams with Ramsey & Arnette not sure on Olgetree coming back, but he does play ILB.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
FYI I mentioned to Jrry on another forum but we have a 5th rounder this year from the Ravens in the Peters trade.

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
FYI I mentioned to Jrry on another forum but we have a 5th rounder this year from the Ravens in the Peters trade.

No, we don't. We traded that fifth to the Dolphins to take Talib (and they traded a conditional 2022 seventh to us), and another fifth went to the Jaguars in the Fowler trade.

Last edited:

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice job. On the extensions, I believe Les doesn't give early pay increases. Therefore, the cap dollars will not increase until Kupp, Ramsey, and JJIII are FAs in 2021.

With that said, Littleton is a huge upgrade over Tree. Let's offer him at 8M per year.

Our slot CB needs to tackle in run support. Not sure I want to drop Littleton and NRC. We lose two good cover guys and sure tacklers. We're going to give up a ton on the run to 11 formations and TEs. Replacing him with a rookie is a crap shot upgrade we may not realize for three years.

Interesting to see how KYoung, Polite, Obo, and Holland develop this off-season.

That may be true about the early pay increases. Not sure if Ramsey would buy it, though.

Littleton is going to get the same amount of money as Kwon Alexander, probably more, since he doesn't have the injury concerns Alexander had. We can't realistically pay that, as well as Ramsey, Kupp, and JJ3.

We've got plenty of solid cornerbacks who can play the slot (Long and Darious Williams come to mind), and there's always Troy Hill.

I get it but not interested in bringing Tree back. Also I read three mocks today that had Adams picked on the 20-40 range so the 6th seems a stretch. Like the work though!

Fair enough on Tree. Adams, like I said, is polarizing. He's had numerous severe injuries, and this latest one at the Senior Bowl could torpedo his stock. I feel for the kid, but honestly, I wouldn't draft him in that range.

Props for being realistic with the cap for 2020, and I actually like bringing back Ogletree - we need a cheap solution for ILB and that could be it.

But regarding Kupp's $9 million per year...

Player A: 104 catches 1165 yards 7 TDs, 69% catch
Player B: 94 catches 1161 yards 10 TDs, 70% catch

Player A is DeAndre Hopkins
Payer B is Cooper Kupp

Hopkins got 5 years $81 million

Now, Kupp isn't really as good as him - but Kupp led the team in receiving his rookie year, led before his injury last year, and led the team this year.

If Kupp signed with the Rams for $9 million per year I would question his sanity.

Very much true. I'll make sure to bump the cost up realistically in the next mock.

Interesting mock, my friend! I think we're getting bargains on Coop and JJ. I expect them to cost more. I've heard great things about Muti. He's on my list. My only concern with him is durability. I am not a fan of taking a CB in Round 2. Even after letting NRC go, we have four players who could start at the position. I think we have more pressing needs and better value there. I'd also like to see us draft an ILB.

I'll also make sure to bump up the cost on JJ3, as well as Coop. :p

Good to see that great minds think alike (with Muti, that is)! :D

I'd normally draft an inside linebacker (Justin Strnad of Wake Forest, in particular, is a favorite of mine), but I figured that Tree could provide at one spot, and there'd be competition for the other. And I don't trust Troy Hill's consistency. Granted, there's guys behind him, but I still feel like Arnette is a solid pick.

Well done and with not trades, very nice and believe you're right about RB Olonilua would be a great pick late. Arnette one hell of a CB and although there are other needs, teams won't be able to pass on the Los Angeles Rams with Ramsey & Arnette not sure on Olgetree coming back, but he does play ILB.

Yep, I'm a huge fan of Olonilua. One thing that I didn't mention is that he's actually an asset in the passing game. He's never going to be confused with Faulk, but he's a good blocker and receiver. If he has his legal issues sorted out (which I believe he does), he's going to be special.

True about Arnette. I wouldn't have touched him a year ago. It's funny how things can change in a year.

...Am I the only one who likes Tree, though? :D

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
That may be true about the early pay increases. Not sure if Ramsey would buy it, though.

Littleton is going to get the same amount of money as Kwon Alexander, probably more, since he doesn't have the injury concerns Alexander had. We can't realistically pay that, as well as Ramsey, Kupp, and JJ3.

We've got plenty of solid cornerbacks who can play the slot (Long and Darious Williams come to mind), and there's always Troy Hill.

Fair enough on Tree. Adams, like I said, is polarizing. He's had numerous severe injuries, and this latest one at the Senior Bowl could torpedo his stock. I feel for the kid, but honestly, I wouldn't draft him in that range.

Very much true. I'll make sure to bump the cost up realistically in the next mock.

I'd normally draft an inside linebacker (Justin Strnad of Wake Forest, in particular, is a favorite of mine), but I figured that Tree could provide at one spot, and there'd be competition for the other. And I don't trust Troy Hill's consistency. Granted, there's guys behind him, but I still feel like Arnette is a solid pick.

Yep, I'm a huge fan of Olonilua. One thing that I didn't mention is that he's actually an asset in the passing game. He's never going to be confused with Faulk, but he's a good blocker and receiver. If he has his legal issues sorted out (which I believe he does), he's going to be special.

True about Arnette. I wouldn't have touched him a year ago. It's funny how things can change in a year.

Unless he's improved his game dramatically, I hope you're the only one who likes 'Tree

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Nope I'm on board with Ogletree (for the price you have in this mock). The assumption on how it would play out is he parts with the Giants and nobody offers him what he's looking for. Rams end up the best option.

At that cost we wouldn't be forced into starting him, and could probably even cut him depending on the structure if we end up liking the youngsters at the position. I think it's a great solution to an impossible problem and I hadn't thought of it (impossible meaning, we can't spend a lot of money on the position and at the same time, it'd be tough to spend our 2nd rounder on the position - Tree would help alleviate some of that.