McVay, Snead confident in Gurley heading into 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

McVay, Snead confident in Gurley heading into 2020

INDIANAPOLIS – Similar to the 2019 season, the Rams will follow a course of action to keep running back Todd Gurley fresh.

Speaking to reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine, Rams general manager Les Snead indicated he was encouraged by last year's approach to managing Gurley's workload and that Los Angeles will "still have some sort intentional plan" for him this upcoming season.

"The goal is very similar to what we'd do with our wide receivers: the more snaps they play early, the less fresh they are later," Snead said. "So that's running backs, that's usually a lot of people that spend a lot of time running a lot of yards on the football field. So all that science is coming to, you want to utilize it, but you still want to win the game at hand and be intuitive of how you use things."

In his fifth NFL season, the 25-year old Gurley reached double-digit rushing touchdowns for the third straight season with 12, moving him into a tie with Marshall Faulk for first on the franchise's career rushing touchdowns list (58). After rushing more than 15 times in a single game just once through the first seven weeks of the season, he surpassed that mark in five of his final eight games, including a season-high 25 carries for 97 yards and one touchdown against the Bears in Week 11. He missed only one game due to a quad injury.

"I would say the good thing about that plan is that Todd was available," Snead said. "I mean, he was playing last game, what you didn't notice, he was fresh in the red zone, didn't score as many TDs here as he had in the past but was still probably (a) top-five touchdown maker. There was definitely some positive effects of trying to come up with a good way to keep him (fresh) – and again, it goes with our wide receivers, it goes with our tight ends, probably less our offensive linemen, but the players who are spending a lot of time running a lot of yards, how do we keep them fresh, beginning of the game, end of the game, September, October, into January.

That science is all new, and we're all trying to utilize it to the best of our abilities."

When Rams head coach Sean McVay spoke to reporters last offseason, he said the team had a plan that was "really specific" for Gurley. Whether that remains the same this offseason and in training camp remains to be seen.

"We're working through that right now," McVay said. "With a guy like that, it's no different than an Andrew
Whitworth (who) has a different plan of approach. You want to be consistent, but I think certain guys, just understanding the workload that their specific position entails or what is the best way to really have a long-term solution for getting through the entire season, so we've been consistent with that with Todd, really from when I first got here, I think it was just something that was talked about a little bit more because he missed a couple games towards the latter half of the '18 season, but those are things that you want to be able to be specific with each player, while still being consistent in the big picture and those are things that as we get closer to those dates, we'll discuss a little bit more."

McVay said Gurley's production last year wasn't representative of what he is still capable of, pointing to inconsistencies the offense as a whole experienced.

"We just weren't consistent enough as an offense, being able to make people honor that threat of running the football," McVay said. "Then when we did commit to it, I thought we had some good results but then also it wasn't consistent enough. I think, in a lot of instances – like sacks are unfairly pegged on the O-line, the run game is not exclusively a result of what a running back can do. I think the running game is truly a representation of all 11 and their contribution."

McVay is also confident Gurley can still be a running back who can give the Rams 18-20 carries in a game.

"I know that I can do — and I'm very confident that we will do — a much better job of activating things that you think you have better answers for our players," McVay said. "Those are things that, we've already really started diving into that process and being diligent about that."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

it's very simple, they fucked up the whole season with their gurley usage. no point him being fresh when the rams are sitting at home during the playoffs. it became apparent very early on that the other rbs couldn't pick up the slack with the extra carries. henderson wasn't ready and brown looked slow and showed no explosiveness after the first couple of weeks.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
If they "manage his workload" like they did last year, might as well just just let him sit and be a cheerleader...At least he was apparently fresh for the playoffs last year, so there's that...Of course he's still fresh since he didn't get all beaten down while sitting on his couch at home watching the aforementioned playoffs...My feeling is: use him like the horse that he is, or send him home with an ice pack...
I should have been more alert, looks like my post pretty much cloned the one before it...Oops !!!

fearsomefour

Legend

it's very simple, they fucked up the whole season with their gurley usage. no point him being fresh when the rams are sitting at home during the playoffs. it became apparent very early on that the other rbs couldn't pick up the slack with the extra carries. henderson wasn't ready and brown looked slow and showed no explosiveness after the first couple of weeks.

They sort of F’d up across the board last year.
I like McVay and Snead but at times they have a bit of an Enron feel.....the smartest guys in the room.
The Rams are stuck with his big contract.....use his ass.
The good news is the Rams missed badly non their calculations in several ways last year and still managed 9 wins.
Critical year to see how the new staff adjusts.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
They sort of F’d up across the board last year.
I like McVay and Snead but at times they have a bit of an Enron feel.....the smartest guys in the room.
The Rams are stuck with his big contract.....use his ass.
The good news is the Rams missed badly non their calculations in several ways last year and still managed 9 wins.
Critical year to see how the new staff adjusts.

LMAO on it all !!

I for one brought up trading Todd Gurley, but also understand McSneads thinking. The Rams were right we’re they needed to be. The NFL is not an easy league when it comes to making a run.
The offensive line got banged up early , plus Gurley is not his own self. I look at it a little different & am glad McSnead is standing by Gurley.

The thing that is cool about Gurley is how young he still is. He is a veteran at heart & is a team first player.
Personally I think The Rams did the right thing. Go back to the 9ers game & know how close The Rams were if making a nice run. It’s about momentum & as long as McSnead & Gurley are on the same page it’s a good thing.
Last season was a learning year that will make The Rams better in the ling run.
To me it’s all about getting into SoFI ????
Fresh start for years to come.

Score board 0-0 !!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yeah the backups failed for the most part. Gurley didn't look too great earlier in the season either, he got a lot better with more carries.

But the OL was also a big part of things. Gurley and Hendy are the types of backs who need a seam and they can go. Brown is better at traffic but can't stay healthy. And Hendy was reportedly dinged up too, somehow.

Rams just need a RB they can depend on to carry the load if Gurley misses extended time. There's options in this draft to accomplish that mid to late rounds so I'm sure it gets done.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I expect a nice year from Gurley in 2020.

Why? The offensive line was inconsistent with everything.

We are going to solve that problem.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sean says "we gotta utilize the science". Yeah, well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how bad the OL was early in the season.

Fix the OL and shit can the "Gurley Gage".

jap

Legend
2020 will be a year of retribution for the Horns on a number of levels. This upcoming season can be equally called the Revenge of the Leprechaun, the Revenge of the Gurley Express!, the Revenge of the Man with the Golden Arm, and, lastly but most definitely not least, the Revenge of The Kraken!

All of this silly talk about the rest of the NFL catching up to the Leprechaun will dissipate into thin air as our magical signal caller does an offensive system reset and gets innovative again. The Leprechaun is out to reinvent himself.

Ya just gotta know the Gurley Man is sick of all the talk that he is all washed up and no longer in the discussion of the NFL's top RBs. Todd rebounded from his second worst season in 2016 with a big 2017 campaign. Even with more opportunities to rest this season, expect similar results as our young OL starts blending some experiential seasoning to their emerging talent.

The "Goff is a bust!" criers came out of the closet again after our unflappable trigger man temporarily shut them up for two straight seasons in 2017 & 2018. Nothing less than victory in the NFL Promise Land will do to zip their yaps ... for a little while longer.

After getting triple- and quadruple-teamed this past season, Aaron has be wondering "What do I have to do to earn another defensive player award again? Am I not still considered the best of the very best?" Our beloved Kraken! will get by those obstacles with a little help from his (DL) friends as the Leprechaun and his defensive coaches will strive to upgrade the talent pool around the NFL's defensive monarch.

Besides these obvious headliners, other player rebounds are expected. The last time the Leg had a subpar season, he diligently studied videos of himself to discover his mechanical flaws and worked assiduously to correct them---resulting with a terrific rebound season. Look for similar results this upcoming season.

Jalen Ramsey joined the Horns and his presence generated an immediate boost in sacks. Still, he needs to get his young unit mates on the same page as they strive to become the NFL's top CB & secondary units in 2020.

I truly hope McSnead finds a way to resign Cory Littleton since I do not believe his potential has been fully tapped out yet, Still, it will be very interesting to see who of our young LBs emerge as consistent game changers in the upcoming season.

Our special teams unit needs to reclaim their consistency, effectiveness, and swag as they strive to retake the NFL's stingiest special teams crown again.

We need to be firing on all cylinders this season as the resurgent '9ers, 'Hawks, and Cards are all hellbent on becoming the Best in the NFC West. This is our division, our conference, our NFL, and everyone will have to bow down to the rampaging Horns as the Leprechaun pushes for his very first Super Bowl trophy!!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
2020 will be a year of retribution for the Horns on a number of levels. This upcoming season can be equally called the Revenge of the Leprechaun, the Revenge of the Gurley Express!, the Revenge of the Man with the Golden Arm, and, lastly but most definitely not least, the Revenge of The Kraken!

All of this silly talk about the rest of the NFL catching up to the Leprechaun will dissipate into thin air as our magical signal caller does an offensive system reset and gets innovative again. The Leprechaun is out to reinvent himself.

Ya just gotta know the Gurley Man is sick of all the talk that he is all washed up and no longer in the discussion of the NFL's top RBs. Todd rebounded from his second worst season in 2016 with a big 2017 campaign. Even with more opportunities to rest this season, expect similar results as our young OL starts blending some experiential seasoning to their emerging talent.

The "Goff is a bust!" criers came out of the closet again after our unflappable trigger man temporarily shut them up for two straight seasons in 2017 & 2018. Nothing less than victory in the NFL Promise Land will do to zip their yaps ... for a little while longer.

After getting triple- and quadruple-teamed this past season, Aaron has be wondering "What do I have to do to earn another defensive player award again? Am I not still considered the best of the very best?" Our beloved Kraken! will get by those obstacles with a little help from his (DL) friends as the Leprechaun and his defensive coaches will strive to upgrade the talent pool around the NFL's defensive monarch.

Besides these obvious headliners, other player rebounds are expected. The last time the Leg had a subpar season, he diligently studied videos of himself to discover his mechanical flaws and worked assiduously to correct them---resulting with a terrific rebound season. Look for similar results this upcoming season.

Jalen Ramsey joined the Horns and his presence generated an immediate boost in sacks. Still, he needs to get his young unit mates on the same page as they strive to become the NFL's top CB & secondary units in 2020.

I truly hope McSnead finds a way to resign Cory Littleton since I do not believe his potential has been fully tapped out yet, Still, it will be very interesting to see who of our young LBs emerge as consistent game changers in the upcoming season.

Our special teams unit needs to reclaim their consistency, effectiveness, and swag as they strive to retake the NFL's stingiest special teams crown again.

We need to be firing on all cylinders this season as the resurgent '9ers, 'Hawks, and Cards are all hellbent on becoming the Best in the NFC West. This is our division, our conference, our NFL, and everyone will have to bow down to the rampaging Horns as the Leprechaun pushes for his very first Super Bowl trophy!!!

Good post. Improvement from within, plus a refreshed moxie.

Add in that Cooks wasn’t the same.

We have some young pieces along the oline that will get better, plus a key addition or two and the oline will look a lot different.

Ram65

Legend
Todd still has it. Give him the ball close to what he got in the past. Just don't overuse him when you don't have too. Henderson should be ready to take some of the carries away for TG. They can make a great 1-2 punch.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
apparently we interviewed a rb at the combine so that brings about a question about Henderson and brown. I guess time will tell. my god that draft is so far off it makes me crazy.o_O