McShay first 2019 NFL mock draft Rams bolstering defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
ESPN’s Todd McShay puts up first 2019 NFL mock draft that has Los Angeles Rams bolstering defense

Let the mock draft season begin.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...eles-la-rams-mississippi-state-jonathan-abram

Ultimately though, McShay has the Rams bolstering their secondary with the #30 pick:

#30.) Mississippi St. Bulldogs S Johnathan Abram

Free agency could hit the Rams’ defense pretty hard, so a lot of what Sean McVay does with his first-rounder will depend on how it all plays out. But Abram is a powerful finisher on the back end and would soften the potential loss of Lamarcus Joyner.

It’s early, so it’s hard to find much to quibble with here.

The path to the draft is on!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Disagree with Abram as a first round pick. He's a solid safety, but he doesn't make enough splash plays to justify a first round selection.

Would much rather go D-line with our first.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Disagree with Abram as a first round pick. He's a solid safety, but he doesn't make enough splash plays to justify a first round selection.Would much rather go D-line with our first.
I am always up for the Rams to select a DL with the first pick!

I would be in :shocked:if Snead took a safety with our only selection in the first two days of the draft. Now a tall fast corner would be dandy to go with Talib & Peters. Rams have both of these starters back up heading to Free Agency as UFA's. (Shields/ Hill) leaving two currently IR'd UDFA's CB Peterson & Hatfield to replace them. Currently the Rams have UDFA ex Raven as the only reserve corner Darious Williams. DW has yet to start a NFL game.

Rams have Five players on their defensive front headed into Free Agency as UFA's:
Ndamukong Suh {Current starter}
Dante Fowler Jr. {Current Starter}
Dom Easley {Former starter}
Matt Longacre { Former starter}
Ethan Westbrooks { former starter & top reserve in the rotation playing NT/ DT/ DE}

Note: Long time starter DL'er Michael Brockers will be a Free Agent in 2020.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd hope for DT or safety. DT is the strength of the draft. There is a good chance that one falls to the end of round 1.

I'd love an Earl Thomas clone at safety though. I don't think there is any closer to his level. I think Thompson is the closest thing and he'll be gone.

A great tangy linebacker would be awesome to replace Barron. Again I don't think there will be one at 32.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd hope for DT or safety. DT is the strength of the draft. There is a good chance that one falls to the end of round 1.

No doubt. It's hard to imagine DL not being the best option there end of round one, depending of course on how quick the big guys come off the board. We're likely looking at 10+ that will go in the first round which is crazy.

Re: Abrams I think he's the kind of guy who won't test at the "first round" range athletically. But he's the kind of guy who will come into an NFL locker room and do all the right things from day one. And wrt the Rams' scheme he is also a really nice fit because he can do different things and gives Wade what he likes on the back end: flexibility. Guy like Abrams won't ever freelance around and do whatever he wants, he'll play the call and be where he's supposed to be.

Long way to go before we know how the DBs rack and stack, since the 40 times largely determine that stuff. I do agree with @Memento, however, that he's not going to settle in as a first round stock type.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I just don't see us going Safety in RD 1 ever, unless dude has Ed Reed or Sean Taylor grade! Front 7 needs impact players. Snead can get us DBs in the mid rds and has a proven track record doing so!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just don't see us going Safety in RD 1 ever, unless dude has Ed Reed or Sean Taylor grade! Front 7 needs impact players. Snead can get us DBs in the mid rds and has a proven track record doing so!
If things break for us on the Comp Selections where the Rams have two late 3rd picks a 4th & a 5th this would be the area where I believe Snead will focus taking a safety & possibly another with the last two picks too.

Snead has not drafted a safety in the first round. He has selected starting safeties utilizing his 2nd two 3rd's & 4th round picks & has done a good job. His latest safety being his best of the four. Rams do not have a starting caliber safety on the roster to fill the vacancy of Lamarcus Joyner.

It might change IF the Org rethinks the secondary in the offseason where great considerations are given to a plan to extend the playing time & career of the Rams secondary's leader 33 yr old corner Aqib Talib. His leadership & presence in the lineup has proven highly invaluable. Talib was only able to finish 6 games this season after being placed on the Injured Reserve. He is now the age where starting corners effectiveness begins to trend downward. Talib will start his 12 th season, the last under contract here.

Rams might offer Talib an extension contract to start @ high safety until retirement in order to have his strong positive leadership in our secondary for several additional seasons. Thus the Rams would seriously concentrate in this draft for a new starting CB for the future.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Hoping and praying Dexter Lawrence falls to us.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hoping and praying Dexter Lawrence falls to us.
:santa:
Now would that not be something great! Finally, a bona fide NT to play next to the future HOF'er. What would a true 6-3 340 pounds NT do to AD's game? It's my belief that AD would be even better with a young player like Dexter to his left in the middle. Can anyone imagine a better AD season?:headexplosion:

Currently Dexter is trending downward in:cool: the draft boards & his recent suspension in the Championship game did not help. Plus the fact Dexter Lawrence is a true 1 tech 34 D NT. More NFL moving to 43 D the last few yrs. means his type of player is NOT in big demand in the first rounds. Most NFL teams will not select a slow-moving lack of initial burst off the snap DT using a #1 pick. Dexter does have the ability to have an outstanding sound gap control talent something badly missing in our D line. If this was to take place I would look for the Rams to request Dexter to come in much lighter. Priority in working with him to become a more explosive version.

So will Wade go for it & go against his great desires for a quick off the snap type NT the opposite of what Dexter is? More likely Wade would have his eye on Dexter's teammate CB Trayvon Mullen instead.

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree with Abram as a first round pick. He's a solid safety, but he doesn't make enough splash plays to justify a first round selection.

Would much rather go D-line with our first.
Not to mention that we find mid-round gold at safety pretty often

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Same here .But I'm betting on a trade back into the early second round . The defensive line and edge players are pretty deep this year .
Yup a very real possibility.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Same here .But I'm betting on a trade back into the early second round . The defensive line and edge players are pretty deep this year .

It's still really early but yeah I agree a move-back is a possibility since we're going to be drafting in the final four spots and those tend to get trade up offers from teams that want to jump up into the late first round and get that slider they covet plus the extra year of control. And we could use the picks of course too.

But if that slider is a primary need position for us? Well that's where I trust Les' estimates on who will go where, and projecting value and whatnot, he seems to be pretty good with that.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's still really early but yeah I agree a move-back is a possibility since we're going to be drafting in the final four spots and those tend to get trade up offers from teams that want to jump up into the late first round and get that slider they covet plus the extra year of control. And we could use the picks of course too.

But if that slider is a primary need position for us? Well that's where I trust Les' estimates on who will go where, and projecting value and whatnot, he seems to be pretty good with that.
If one of Brian Burns, Jachai Polite, Byron Murphy, or any of the defensive lineman slip and fall then I think I'd stay put . My dark horse is Noah Fant or TJ Hockenson . Imagine our offense with it's own Kelce or Gronk .

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If one of Brian Burns, Jachai Polite, Byron Murphy, or any of the defensive lineman slip and fall then I think I'd stay put . My dark horse is Noah Fant or TJ Hockenson . Imagine our offense with it's own Kelce or Gronk .
I see a HD defensive draft upcoming with the exception if we have 2 retirements & 1 departure Free Agency in our starting OL here in about 2 months. That would change everything. I am hoping that does not happen.

The defense will have HOLES severywhere. Snead has drafted two starting TE's in the 2016 & 2017 drafts who are performing just fine. We are loaded @ receivers with Woods/ Cooks/ Kupp/ Reynolds & RB's who can catch like Gurley/ Brown/ Kelly.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kipers first mock I heard has us taking Dra’mont Jones DTOhio St.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Kipers first mock I heard has us taking Dra’mont Jones DTOhio St.
That doesn't seem bad, but I don't think I'd prefer a DT with questionable run stopping skills. Even if he lacks extensive pass rushing skills, I want someone to help the run defense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That doesn't seem bad, but I don't think I'd prefer a DT with questionable run stopping skills. Even if he lacks extensive pass rushing skills, I want someone to help the run defense.
I agree, and I'd love it if Lawrence fell to us with his failed drug test but not sure that happens. If not then we're likely better off waiting until the 3rd or 4th round.