Mayock's Risers and Fallers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
Im not sure Floyd is better but I think they are certainly closer on teams draft boards than the media eludes. I think that is what Mayock is suggesting as well.

I think Blackmon should be ranked between 10-15 and Floyd between 12-17. The difference is rather insignificant. Floyd is blessed with more natural ability. Just like you have Poe ranked highly based on his potential, the same case could be made for Floyd.

Also DR, you say you take into account what kind of WR the Rams need. Who would you say each player compares to? I think the Blackmon AQ comparison is fair. Im not sure thats the type of WR we need, although it would be nice to have.
You are not going to like my comparison...MSW and Seattle's Mike Williams. Blackmon, definitely Anq Boldin, but also, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt.

I see Floyd and Poe way differently. Floyd was given every opportunity and was featured. Poe wasn't. I like that you asked me that, because Floyd blew me away at the combine, but he didn't move up for me, although I know that he probably helped himself greatly. I've seen too much of him, it's his feet that I don't like. If I just watched the combine Floyd would be the top rated receiver.

I didn't know about Poe, but when I did the homework on him, and saw the system he was playing in, and all the positions he played, which nobody really mentions...I thought he was grossly misused. But I was still impressed because he played with discipline. At any given time, he could of just bull rushed and destroyed any play, but he did as asked...he knocked the line back a couple yards and then sat and controlled his gap(s).

steferfootball

Starter
I'd like Floyd at 22 (if such a deal were to occur). Though I don't know Fisher would be willing to do that again after Kenny Britt. Who knows.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
While speculating I would knock the wheels off of this at #39

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qTJkl-4s2k[/youtube]

And if not for sure this ball catcher in the 3rd. Plus he has already had his complimentary knee injury.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igisji7gj0I[/youtube]
I like both of those guys.

Thoughts on Toon, Hill, Streeter, Adams, and Wright?

I like Jones and Randle as well as Criner. All of them are solid prospects. McNutt is another guy to keep an eye on (he's my favorite in this class, as you all know).

Toon's a great prospect. Toon is a guy whose numbers would be higher in a more pass-oriented system. He's not fast, but he's got great hands and has enough route running skills to get separation.

Hill is a physical freak who has the most upside out of this class. I could really see him being the best out of all of them. Of course, he also has the lowest floor. Like Toon, Hill played in a run first offense. This offense, however, was a triple-option offense that almost never threw the ball, so his statistics are misleading.

Streeter's tall and fast for his size, but I wasn't impressed with his stats compared to the others in this class (didn't eclipse 1,000 yards or get to ten touchdowns, despite being the only redzone target to throw to), and he's a very poor route runner. He should have stayed in school to increase his stock.

Adams is purely a slot guy. He was a slot receiver at Arkansas, and if he's going to succeed in the NFL, he'll have to do the same thing. He has a lot of speed, but he's way too undersized to fight off a jam at the line of scrimmage (he's 179 lbs, by the way). Donnie Avery is what I see in him.

Wright is a totally different story than Adams. He's fast in pads, but also has the strength to beat the press. The only real weakness I see is that he's not six feet, but then again, Desean Jackson and Percy Harvin aren't six feet, and they've had a lot of success in the NFL with their speed.

This is an extremely deep class. I wouldn't be shocked to see us take a wideout in the third round instead of the first two.

I think we see players mostly the same way. I think Adams may be able to break the press though. I really like Criner and was shocked by his measurables. I think McNutt is way too inconsistent and I question his hands/concentration, but he's another freak. Agree on Hill and everything else. I like all these guys, and share your thoughts on possibly drafting a guy in the 3rd round, or trading back into the second if necessary.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Stimulating draft conversation. It gives me an idea, we should do this for every position that we need leading up to the draft.

I have to go for now...

Don't shy away from selling me on Floyd, if you guys really like him, but I need specifics, not stats. Sell me on why he'd be a great player and a good fit. Open my eyes, if you will. What are you seeing that I can't?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

And if not for sure this ball catcher in the 3rd. Plus he has already had his complimentary knee injury.

I'm all for Hill. Has everything thta you want in WR. Just was in wrong system to show it. He has a lot to learn and it might not be ready to contribute much this year other than going deep. But here's the catch with him. all that talent but if it doesn't click in his head just how to be a NFL WR then he will be like a Al Davis bust.

Like Toon, but needs to sit and watch a year and refine his game.

When it comes to Criner , Quick, and the rest of that type....We have a roster full of those types so why draft more.

Meh on Wright. Won't adapt well, he needs to redefine his game for the NFL. And he's a slot, we have plenty of those.

But if i was drafting a slot then here you go. just get him the ball in the flat and watch him go. Till he breaks

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=327-Oq4cI4U[/youtube]

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
DR RAM said:
Stimulating draft conversation. It gives me an idea, we should do this for every position that we need leading up to the draft.

I have to go for now...

Don't shy away from selling me on Floyd, if you guys really like him, but I need specifics, not stats. Sell me on why he'd be a great player and a good fit. Open my eyes, if you will. What are you seeing that I can't?

When I look at Michael Floyd, I see someone who isn't being utilized to his fullest potential. His quarterbacks (yes, Notre Dame used two or three quarterbacks this year alone) were atrocious. Forget about hitting him in stride; they could barely get the ball to him on most plays. Their running game was largely ineffective, and the only other receiver who took pressure off of Floyd was a tight end. Every team that faced Notre Dame knew that they were going to throw the ball to Floyd early and often.

He's not quick off the line, but he has enough downfield speed and acceleration to be a threat at all levels of the field. His hands, leaping ability, and route running make him a very dangerous receiver that has the ability to get separation from good cornerbacks. Think Vincent Jackson. Yes, Floyd's two inches smaller and at least twenty pounds lighter, but their games are very similar, and that's mainly what I look for. Like Jackson, I don't expect Floyd to light the world on fire in his first year, but if you paired him with an accurate quarterback who can hit him in stride (say, a Bradford), it's not ridiculous to think that he could make a real impact and become a number one.

As for the off-the-field alcohol issues, Floyd hasn't gotten into any trouble this year. Like Janoris Jenkins, Floyd changed his lifestyle because he realized that he was down to his last strike. I look at his case in a similar manner to Lance Kendricks. Like Kendricks, Floyd was nominated as a team captain. He's a great teammate who has done nothing but support his quarterbacks when he could have easily blamed them like a certain middle linebacker prospect did with his coaches. He's not the kind of guy who's going to complain about getting the ball.

As for other positions that we need...are there any outside linebackers that you like?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
You are not going to like my comparison...MSW and Seattle's Mike Williams. Blackmon, definitely Anq Boldin, but also, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt.

I see Floyd and Poe way differently. Floyd was given every opportunity and was featured. Poe wasn't. I like that you asked me that, because Floyd blew me away at the combine, but he didn't move up for me, although I know that he probably helped himself greatly. I've seen too much of him, it's his feet that I don't like. If I just watched the combine Floyd would be the top rated receiver.

I didn't know about Poe, but when I did the homework on him, and saw the system he was playing in, and all the positions he played, which nobody really mentions...I thought he was grossly misused. But I was still impressed because he played with discipline. At any given time, he could of just bull rushed and destroyed any play, but he did as asked...he knocked the line back a couple yards and then sat and controlled his gap(s).

Floyd may have been featured in the game plan, but its hard to show down field prowess when you have a incompetent QB. Most of his yard came on short passes despite his ability to get open down field. The video I posted, along with others show that.

I think he is faster than MSW and Big Mike Williams, although Im not really sure who he compares to. Maybe Vincent Jackson, although I cant remember what he looked like out of college and couldnt find it. If combine the good/bad from Mike Williams, Andre, and Hernandez(NE) you get Floyd lol.

superfan24

Starter
Memento said:
DR RAM said:

I have to go for now...

When I look at Michael Floyd, I see someone who isn't being utilized to his fullest potential. His quarterbacks (yes, Notre Dame used two or three quarterbacks this year alone) were atrocious. Forget about hitting him in stride; they could barely get the ball to him on most plays. Their running game was largely ineffective, and the only other receiver who took pressure off of Floyd was a tight end. Every team that faced Notre Dame knew that they were going to throw the ball to Floyd early and often.

He's not quick off the line, but he has enough downfield speed and acceleration to be a threat at all levels of the field. His hands, leaping ability, and route running make him a very dangerous receiver that has the ability to get separation from good cornerbacks. Think Vincent Jackson. Yes, Floyd's two inches smaller and at least twenty pounds lighter, but their games are very similar, and that's mainly what I look for. Like Jackson, I don't expect Floyd to light the world on fire in his first year, but if you paired him with an accurate quarterback who can hit him in stride (say, a Bradford), it's not ridiculous to think that he could make a real impact and become a number one.

As for the off-the-field alcohol issues, Floyd hasn't gotten into any trouble this year. Like Janoris Jenkins, Floyd changed his lifestyle because he realized that he was down to his last strike. I look at his case in a similar manner to Lance Kendricks. Like Kendricks, Floyd was nominated as a team captain. He's a great teammate who has done nothing but support his quarterbacks when he could have easily blamed them like a certain middle linebacker prospect did with his coaches. He's not the kind of guy who's going to complain about getting the ball.

As for other positions that we need...are there any outside linebackers that you like?

Yep Memento. Floyd was consistently double and even tripled covered every single game. The other ND receivers were largely ineffective at taking pressure off him. And tommy rees was at Qb :boing:
Just listen to what Brian Kelly says about Mike Floyd now opposed to last Spring tells the whole story.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Memento said:
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

I like Jones and Randle as well as Criner. All of them are solid prospects. McNutt is another guy to keep an eye on (he's my favorite in this class, as you all know).

Toon's a great prospect. Toon is a guy whose numbers would be higher in a more pass-oriented system. He's not fast, but he's got great hands and has enough route running skills to get separation.

Hill is a physical freak who has the most upside out of this class. I could really see him being the best out of all of them. Of course, he also has the lowest floor. Like Toon, Hill played in a run first offense. This offense, however, was a triple-option offense that almost never threw the ball, so his statistics are misleading.

Streeter's tall and fast for his size, but I wasn't impressed with his stats compared to the others in this class (didn't eclipse 1,000 yards or get to ten touchdowns, despite being the only redzone target to throw to), and he's a very poor route runner. He should have stayed in school to increase his stock.

Adams is purely a slot guy. He was a slot receiver at Arkansas, and if he's going to succeed in the NFL, he'll have to do the same thing. He has a lot of speed, but he's way too undersized to fight off a jam at the line of scrimmage (he's 179 lbs, by the way). Donnie Avery is what I see in him.

Wright is a totally different story than Adams. He's fast in pads, but also has the strength to beat the press. The only real weakness I see is that he's not six feet, but then again, Desean Jackson and Percy Harvin aren't six feet, and they've had a lot of success in the NFL with their speed.

This is an extremely deep class. I wouldn't be shocked to see us take a wideout in the third round instead of the first two.

I think we see players mostly the same way. I think Adams may be able to break the press though. I really like Criner and was shocked by his measurables. I think McNutt is way too inconsistent and I question his hands/concentration, but he's another freak. Agree on Hill and everything else. I like all these guys, and share your thoughts on possibly drafting a guy in the 3rd round, or trading back into the second if necessary.

I think we do similar evals. on many players.

The thing I look at is to compare the film of these draftables to what the Rams already have I re-watch their coll. film. Many of these WR guys that would be 3rd or later picks are really on film are no better than Salas, Pettis, Gibson and DX. So how would that help the team? Will they be better pros than them? Would they even make the team. Odds are no they won't. Yeah sometimes you get lucky, but we have wasted so many choices on long shots.

I also look at the scheme they came from. That's big. I disregard much of their collegiate stats. for example look up DX's and Blackmons stats, then throw in dX's size and speed and that they both played in the Big 12. Lots of fans would chose DX just based on that. We know how the DX missile worked out don't we.

Unless a real value WR falls to the 2nd I just don't think we get one before the 3rd at the earliest. But then again are they better.
I'm kind of convinced our 1st 3 picks will be some combo of T, G, DT. If we have too we can play with the WR we got. But we won't win 4 games till the lines get fixed.

I do like your idea of doing this for all positions. We should also do a 32 team 3rd mock....Just give everyone a team and see what happens.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yamahopper said:
I think we do similar evals. on many players.

The thing I look at is to compare the film of these draftables to what the Rams already have I re-watch their coll. film. Many of these WR guys that would be 3rd or later picks are really on film are no better than Salas, Pettis, Gibson and DX. So how would that help the team? Will they be better pros than them? Would they even make the team. Odds are no they won't. Yeah sometimes you get lucky, but we have wasted so many choices on long shots.

I also look at the scheme they came from. That's big. I disregard much of their collegiate stats. for example look up DX's and Blackmons stats, then throw in dX's size and speed and that they both played in the Big 12. Lots of fans would chose DX just based on that. We know how the DX missile worked out don't we.

Unless a real value WR falls to the 2nd I just don't think we get one before the 3rd at the earliest. But then again are they better.
I'm kind of convinced our 1st 3 picks will be some combo of T, G, DT. If we have too we can play with the WR we got. But we won't win 4 games till the lines get fixed.

I do like your idea of doing this for all positions. We should also do a 32 team 3rd mock....Just give everyone a team and see what happens.

The bolded idea sounds awesome. I'd be more than willing to do that.